Forum › Exiled From My Old Party For Being A Woman, Me And A Legendary Witch Formed The Ultimate Tag Team discussion

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Oof, this one hits close to home. Sexism is so normalized sometimes that one really has to emphasize it to even get a reaction. Most of the time, people don't even blink at the most ridiculous of bikini armor.

I like the way Laplace's dialogue is written in the translation. I don't know if she uses an unusual mode of speaking in the original text, but her speech kinda reminds me of Greg from Over the Garden Wall. It's like a mishmash of various old-timey dialects but without any over-complex parts.

Also, I wonder... does Laplace know the causal outcome of every future event? Arguably it's worse than being able to violate the second law of thermodynamics like Maxwell, simply because even if you know the causal outcome of every future event, you're necessarily unable to change the course of events at that point. :D (I sincerely hope other people know what I'm talking about.)

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Fun fact (not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread again) but Laplace and Maxwell are the names of two of the most important equation sets for Electrodynamics.
Every time I see someone talking about them, I except to see math next rather than talking about a story lol.
Author needs to make a set of antagonists called Tesla and Edison too.

Also the bikini armor is so true in the rpg games. I was playing and couldn't find any outfit that isn't boobs ridiculously hanging out, while for males there were nice options that resembled an actual fight.

last edited at Jun 30, 2021 1:44AM

Roomfortwo
joined Feb 11, 2014

I'm enjoying this manga, but the translation here feels a bit too wacky. Makes it hard to take it as a serious one, feels like the translator went "meh, have to do this, don't really wanna, let's go wonkers cause I don't care". :/

GodDamnItAmy1
joined Mar 28, 2021

i really enjoy this manga even if the men are a bit exaggerated ! i still see some of the sexist behavior today, irl and online. the biological clock and stay home to raise kids comments are still common things my family and other people say to me lol

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Its a been a while since I read the first chapter that I forgot how sexist the world is my god.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

I am still entirely on board with a 100% over the top rant about the patriarchy / institutionalized misogyny in Japan disguised as a misandristic power fantasy. Funny and pissed off satire is entirely in my wheelhouse.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

Women being comfortable with these outfits are great but men being really sexist then this is bad-

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

The women's armor bit did get a chuckle out of me... but then I reread the first chapter and Tanya wears something similar the whole time (although the author just bring less attention to it, and I guess it's harder to tell in black and white what's showing sking and what is not), so why did Laplace only notice it just now?

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

I see, this is the Capitol city: ode to sexism

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The women's armor bit did get a chuckle out of me... but then I reread the first chapter and Tanya wears something similar the whole time (although the author just bring less attention to it, and I guess it's harder to tell in black and white what's showing sking and what is not), so why did Laplace only notice it just now?

Maybe she thought It was just her summer clothing

Btw can anyone recomend a good bikini armor game? The most agritious i have experianced is Skyrim and i feel left out (i dont do MMO's though)

last edited at Jun 30, 2021 4:53AM

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

I don't know many bikini armor games, but there is this terrible anime called Bikini Warriors if you like to suffer.

Knowing the context, this manga doesn't seem so bad anymore. Still hope there are a few male exeptions, it always seems lazy to me when every nameless npc thinks and acts exactly the same. You often see that in revenge isekai, too.

last edited at Jun 30, 2021 5:13AM

MapleLovesYuri
Okay%20magge
joined Mar 5, 2021

lmao i forgot how men in this manga are basically bunnys lmao

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

bruhhhhh i needdd moree!!!

joined Jan 6, 2017

"Me and a legendary witch" isn't proper English.

There's no such thing as proper English

joined Jun 6, 2021

Nonsense. Without any rules, a language is reduced to meaningless squeaks and squiggles. Proper English is that which holds onto those rules that make it most effective at communication, not merely in the moment but in the future. The reason that the pronouns have retained distinctive case-forms is that they usefully reduce ambiguity.

Before you attempt to mount a counter-argument, recognize that it is only the rules of English that make it possible to interpret claims against which you wish to argue, and only the rules of English that make it possible for you to say anything meaningful, even when what you say is wrong.

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Good ol' bikini armor, that's the stuff

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

This is actually pretty based

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

This statement is an oxymoron. If it's true, it can't possibly mean anything concrete, because without proper English, there's no proper way to interpret it. But then if that were the case, I wouldn't be able to reason that to begin with because I never interpreted it in the first place.

I interpreted it, so it's wrong, and thus my statement stands. "Me and a legendary witch" isn't proper English.

I'm willing to bet you're just trying to be funny by pointing out that English has a lot of inconsistencies, and you're correct on that, but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't use it in the established way.

67796623_2919817304757747_5022259989704605696_n
joined Jun 2, 2019

ohh fck off y'all go eat grass or something, just enjoy the manga geez

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

This is fantastic.

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

Did this manga just being to touch gender role issues and stereotypes in a mature kind of way?

joined Jan 6, 2017

This statement is an oxymoron. If it's true, it can't possibly mean anything concrete, because without proper English, there's no proper way to interpret it. But then if that were the case, I wouldn't be able to reason that to begin with because I never interpreted it in the first place.

I interpreted it, so it's wrong, and thus my statement stands. "Me and a legendary witch" isn't proper English.

I'm willing to bet you're just trying to be funny by pointing out that English has a lot of inconsistencies, and you're correct on that, but that doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't use it in the established way.

There are a bunch of dialects that use "me and [ ]" interchangeably with "[ ] and I" and thus "me and [ ]" is correct. There is no "proper" English, only a bunch of different dialects and all of them are equally correct.
Anyway, this isn't the place to argue prescriptive vs descriptive grammar so I'll just drop it

Yuri Yuriyuri
Miowink
joined Aug 21, 2020

I like how they live in this blatantly stereotypical fantasy, it's pretty funny. Also things are so bad that they've seemingly regressed from 300 years ago, damn.

Shoggoth_by_pahko
joined May 25, 2020

It's kinda funny (and somewhat irritating) to see people whining about this being "nonsense" or "written like a caricature of a negative stereotype of a feminist tract" when frankly, like it's already been mentioned and explained, it's still miles and miles better than shit like Rising of the Shield Hero with it's false rape accusation BS, "slave child turned slave bride" with the author bending themselves over to keep justify keeping the character a slave and whatnot. Or Goblin Slayer with it's "evil race of rapist" (that like Terraformars, may cause some iffy real life parallels).

And let's not mention Redo of Healer or similar shit like ntr (since I saw someone mention it), because oh boy that's a whole mall sized can of worms.

Again, like it's been pointed out, the "caricature" of the sexist man isn't even that unrealistic like the "but women wouldn't wear bikini armour even in that situation" complain, when again, it's been pointed out that women can be forced to wear high heels even when it's dangerous. There nothing quite as hilarious and infuriating (not to mention speak volumes about how that shit is deeply normalised) than seeing a barely exaggerated depiction of sexism decried by people as "unrealistic", even more when the most "absurd" elements, like the bikini armour, still has real life parallel.

This kind of story really just highlight how works like RotSH and co are insanely bad, immature and childish and most importantly: conventional and dull as fuck (while thinking they're the opposite) in the worst way possible ultimately.

And show how much more interesting they could be if they had any understanding of actual injustice/systemic discrimination.

last edited at Jun 30, 2021 10:04AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

it's still miles and miles better than shit like Rising of the Shield Hero with it's false rape accusation BS, "slave child turned slave bride" with the author bending themselves over to keep justify keeping the character a slave and whatnot

"i occult the goods points and only point the bad so i can call it bad" iswear that everytime i heard someone talking about Shield Hero, they seem to have only read the first couple of chapters and drop it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.