Forum › You Are My Soulmate discussion

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

I haven't read a lot of the comments in-depth because I don't know why people think other people care about their opinion on ABO.

So has anyone talked about the sequel to this? I was confused by the translation notes. Are they still planning to translate the next one, or are they asking someone else to do it?

last edited at May 18, 2021 4:13AM

droidsurlookingfor
R2d2
joined Mar 29, 2021

what an embarassing thread, get real.

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

I would've resent this if it wasn't Takemiya Jin.

ToukoLappland
Touko%20nanami
joined Jan 16, 2021

why is this nonsense bleeding into yuri

we live in hell

youre not wrong.

joined Mar 13, 2020

I haven't read a lot of the comments in-depth because I don't know why people think other people care about their opinion on ABO.

Wait so don't give opinions on the use of a central theme in the work? What is there even to talk about if we follow a 'rule' like that, just generic "I liked/didn't like it" style comments?

what an embarassing thread, get real.

What exactly is embarrassing?

Non%20face%20prunus%20girl%20ch%2010%20pg%206
joined Jul 3, 2018

is it in general seen as more ok to add dicks if they're on a girl?

On who else you want to add dicks anyway ?

Ah, meant for as "Is adding a girl with a dick more ok than a guy with a dick?". I guess it's less male to just have the dick but I also guess even just a dick might be too much male for some.

Yes, clearly adding a girl is (generally) more acceptable in yuri than adding a guy (although I wouldn't complain about more bisexuality in yuri, honestly). Although I do note that it is not in any way "male" to be a trans woman; we aren't men, buddy. This is exactly what 塞雷娅 is talking about when they describe transphobia.

In this type of fictional setting I'd assume trans people could exist but also totally new types that are girls with dicks?

Yes, clearly trans people could still exist. But choosing to create a type of character who has a trans body, and then writing about those characters while ignoring trans people, sends the message that trans people aren't worth considering, and our experiences aren't worth writing about, and that it's acceptable to consider our bodies as sexual objects without having to accept our basic humanity (since so much ABO stuff, and also futa, is straight up smut). It isn't difficult to look at real world fetishization of trans bodies to see how this dynamic is harmful.

Of course, this discussion is of limited relevance here until we have confirmation of what Takamiya Jin means with their character being a defective alpha. Although I will note that if it's the penis thing (i.e. she doesn't have one), that seems particularly dissonant with actual trans feminine experience. So if that ends up being what "defective" means I'll choose to headcannon Akina as trans masculine, makes much more sense.

So has anyone talked about the sequel to this? I was confused by the translation notes. Are they still planning to translate the next one, or are they asking someone else to do it?

Looks mostly like they're planning to do it, eventually, but aren't actively working on it. So... Both? Depends on which files, exactly, they misplaced.

joined Mar 13, 2020

Yes, clearly adding a girl is (generally) more acceptable in yuri than adding a guy (although I wouldn't complain about more bisexuality in yuri, honestly). Although I do note that it is not in any way "male" to be a trans woman; we aren't men, buddy. This is exactly what 塞雷娅 is talking about when they describe transphobia.

Ah, apologies! That wasn't exactly what I meant, I suppose I meant more that some people would not like dicks at all in their yuri, even if I totally agree that transwomen are women.

Yes, clearly trans people could still exist. But choosing to create a type of character who has a trans body, and then writing about those characters while ignoring trans people, sends the message that trans people aren't worth considering, and our experiences aren't worth writing about, and that it's acceptable to consider our bodies as sexual objects without having to accept our basic humanity (since so much ABO stuff, and also futa, is straight up smut). It isn't difficult to look at real world fetishization of trans bodies to see how this dynamic is harmful.

But say the author simply doesn't want, for one reason or another, to create a story about trans people? They might not think it's their place to create such a story. To me they're then more writing a story about something completely different that is not meant to represent trans people at all.
I'm a big fan of futa myself but I don't consider them to be trans people, mostly because the distinction is often either put into words in story or implied by what tags or description the artist chooses to use. I feel I can do that and still consider it obvious and just that trans people (should in some cases) have the same rights and humanity as everyone else.

Cool
joined Apr 4, 2021

what a weird omega

7a067e9e6fb1c92210174e64e9f1e23d
joined Jun 19, 2013

In this type of fictional setting I'd assume trans people could exist but also totally new types that are girls with dicks?

I get that, but me and a lot of the writers I follow who write ABO are AFAB nb people that still identify with the female end of the spectrum in some way. We don't want an AMAB, trans woman experience, because we don't have dicks and we want them. Hell, I read futa, and still read a lot of g!p, because those are also bottom euphoric for me.

While I get being frustrated at trans fetishization in general and also some of the rapey themes that can come in ABO, I'm tired of people saying "writing women with dicks who aren't AMAB trans" equals transphobia. Writing like that basically the only way I've ever seen my ideal gender in media.

EDIT:

Although I will note that if it's the penis thing (i.e. she doesn't have one), that seems particularly dissonant with actual trans feminine experience. So if that ends up being what "defective" means I'll choose to headcannon Akina as trans masculine, makes much more sense.

Case in point, Akira matches pretty closely to how I feel about my gender, and it frustrates me that "trans masculine" is the only possiblity you could think of to match what the manga says.

last edited at May 18, 2021 2:58PM

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

What the heck is that ending man. I mean we see the mc is determined to love and stay with the prez but what the heck! I mean that determination is nice in its own way but why do the prez dirty like that after we’ve just seen her insecurities. I mean if that’s her “soulmate” won’t she just end up resenting prez in the end?

After the family was so supportive and everything, terrible! I still really enjoyed it tho.

last edited at May 18, 2021 7:21PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

So pretty much a straight-up deconstruction of all that ABO business, then.

Lilification
Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

That second to last page was real sus, like I thought things were about to take a real hard turn into ntr territory at the last second

Bang%20dream!_%20episode%2013%20_%20we%20sang!-min
joined Nov 15, 2018

What sequel?

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

Fuck...

Warning: Possible NTR incoming!

last edited at May 18, 2021 7:38PM

thehypesreal
Melty-blood-type-lumina-7
joined Apr 12, 2021

Well damn

The Red Dart
joined Apr 6, 2021

I’m just gonna try to forget this and never think of it again

last edited at May 18, 2021 7:40PM

joined Apr 13, 2021

Well...shit. Goodluck with that.

Rsz_0642646002c7e23a9b0c50ea92cc124d_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

Well we didn't get any information about what defective alpha really means besides her being a beta who apparently just smells like an alpha at times. Though... based on that second to last page, it might be because she smells like her sister which... well... sure I guess.

Takemiya did do a good job at side stepping the bioessentialism that comes with the AO pairing though, and it's honestly quite sweet that she's willing to fight against "destiny" to be with someone she likes. It's always nice when omegaverse stories either 1. descontruct themselves or 2. do something completely out of the ordinary in the genre.

Of course, that's not to say that the ending doesn't feel ominous as fuck and kinda made it feel quite a level less sweet than it was maybe going for.

I get that, but me and a lot of the writers I follow who write ABO are AFAB nb people that still identify with the female end of the spectrum in some way. We don't want an AMAB, trans woman experience, because we don't have dicks and we want them. Hell, I read futa, and still read a lot of g!p, because those are also bottom euphoric for me.

You know, this is the first time I've ever heard of this reason for liking these genres. I didn't actually consider this despite being AFAB nb myself cause I just didn't really think about it before. This does give me a better perspective though cause I just saw the negatives associated with omegaverse without thinking much about the reasons why some people would write in that genre.

last edited at May 18, 2021 7:46PM

20220125_003513
joined Jan 30, 2013

NOOO NOT THE LAST FEW PAGES. OHDNDJDN why is this giving off Sakura trick vibes

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

So the scent was her sister scent, that was a nice clever twist, it's a good ending, she decided her thoughts over her horniness and I usually don't like doing that.

There was a yuri anime exploring both of those in 2017.

Which one?

Urara Meirochou, had pheromones (that worked like actual animal pheromones, but girlxgirl) in episode 5 and the soulmate stuff started in episode 6, then constantly expanded upon and developed in the manga.

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

No idea what Omegaverse is but just to be sure: so the alpha smell was actually from her sister? She misinterpreted her feelings?

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Kind of a bittersweet ending, especially for Takemiya Jin. I think the last couple of pages were unnecessary but it'd be more believable if she hadn't had such a pained expression while deciding to fight destiny.

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

No idea what Omegaverse is but just to be sure: so the alpha smell was actually from her sister? She misinterpreted her feelings?

It is entirely possible that she's interpreting the scent that way because they're related. And I do not think she misunderstood her feelings. I think she very much understands she has feelings for the president. But she is shocked to realize that her biology desires the president's older sister.

I look at it as being sexually attracted to someone versus being emotionally attracted to someone. They're two very distinct things. And within omegaverse the trope often overlooks this, assuming that your physical attraction and emotional attraction will line up all the time. In this case, it is not lining up, but she doesn't seem put off too much, since it looks like she's already made up her mind about being with the president. If this keeps going she'll probably just find it difficult to ignore the president's older sister. (And who knows yet how the older sister will respond).

joined May 4, 2016

Kind of a bittersweet ending, especially for Takemiya Jin. I think the last couple of pages were unnecessary but it'd be more believable if she hadn't had such a pained expression while deciding to fight destiny.

I think it's because she was biting her lip

Rsz_0642646002c7e23a9b0c50ea92cc124d_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

(And who knows yet how the older sister will respond).

Yeah I kinda want to see the continuation of this (but also not at the same time) just cause how is this relationship gonna proceed if/when the older sister feels some type of way about her soulmate being with her sister instead? Like that's some fucking drama right there.

To reply you must either login or sign up.