Forum › The Girl Through the Viewfinder discussion

Psyduck
joined Jun 17, 2015

Should probably change this series to subtext/no tag so people don't read all 7 chapters expecting a relationship to eventually happen.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I cannot believe this is it, this had the makings to be great, and started out really well, and let me add this had not derailed at any moment, but my god, to think that the author had planned this to be 7 chapters long (as said in its final credits pages) so off the mark, it’s an understatement to say this has end on a sour note, I mean handholding? Definitely not one of those tropes who wants to see the couple "going at it each other" to finally validate the series, but to end it when you just had started flashing out the characters? Come on ...
By no means a bad story, just stupidly short.

last edited at May 19, 2021 7:43AM

The Red Dart
joined Apr 6, 2021

This was nice, art was great, story was pretty good, characters were engaging... just wish that the ending was a bit more conclusive than “holding hands”

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I really liked the story, but I was really disappointed to see not even a full confession because they teased that she was gonna do it so much....I wasn't even holding out hopes for a kiss or anything, but come on at least give us that confession :/

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

They did not lie when they tagged this as "introspective", I like it so far!! ..then I made the mistake to come and read the comments and now I know they don't end it in a way I would had liked. xD Holy muppets, still, nice art. And yes, I'm one of those who expect kissy kiss or a full on dating confession, but oh well :D another good one!

9b1d0703-1cf0-4df6-bc19-0b2abfd56881
joined Nov 23, 2015

Great story and art. Just wish for that confession that never happened too. Maybe, maybe future an online post of short sequels?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Damn.

Off-screen confession.

Talk about being blue-balled.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I seriously can't tell if this was a sad ending, or a hopeful door to a new beginning. I'm a stupid american, damnit! I need to be spoon fed a happy Hollywood ending, with all plot threads wrapped up in a neat little bow, or I just can't deal!

last edited at May 10, 2021 3:12AM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I mean, at this point I think it's pretty clear more or less what will happen. But I'd still like to see it.

Images
joined Sep 30, 2014

More than in lack of confession i am disappointed in lack of proper reaction to finished movie. Like... All the reaction i can see is "oh, you changed ending?“. But what about movie overall, was it good, did people like it? Movie is done and that's just it? O. O

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I seriously can't tell if this was a sad ending, or a hopeful door to a new beginning. I'm a stupid american, damnit! I need to be spoon fed a happy Hollywood ending, with all plot threads wrapped up in a neat little bow, or I just can't deal!

trying dis out

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

wtf this is so good

MeiLangSakalam
271731483_478678657204397_1801763266118199384_n
joined Mar 26, 2021

is it this the fin already?

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Eh, it is over?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I always like how she would wear a baseball cap while directing like a young Steven Spielberg

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Q~Q beautiful

joined May 6, 2021

This doesn't feel like an ending at all. Pretty disappointed.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Interesting to see the reactions here. The series was first described to me as one in which "characters just stare at each other a lot, without saying much." This is true. One might also consider the heavy lean on introspection and a consistently ambiguous, uncertain tone. If Kabocha was intending for the breadth of the work to be a reflection of the MC's mental state, I think he surely succeeded. In this sense, the understated, not-quite-told ending is very fitting. I quite liked it.

Thanks so much for the work on the translations, too! I find there's a bit of a dearth of shorter series being translated in the recent past, and that's a shame. For every axed series that ends up nowhere or long-running series that ends in disappointment, there are intentionally short and sweet stories like this, that fill a very nice niche. Bonus points for getting a story out of Galette, which surely has some interesting content that wouldn't find official publication in many other places.

I always like how she would wear a baseball cap while directing like a young Steven Spielberg

Heck yeah!

last edited at May 11, 2021 2:23PM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

I was expecting her to go off and chase her down to stop her from transferring somehow, but no, I like that, it feels realistic, I’m honestly starting to get kind of tired of that trope now.
I also liked how there was no love triangle or anything between Honami and Hajime, I was starting to get those vibes, but nope, just a girl looking out for her best friend. Great story, loved it, the only thing that kind of bothered me was the fact they didn’t show the confession scene, I mean I know they probably ended up together and all, but cmon man I’m a sucker for confessions.

Erinyes
joined Jul 28, 2016

Bruh

joined May 13, 2021

It’s over?? What the hell was the point of that?? This had so much potential now I’m just disappointed.

joined Apr 17, 2017

I agree with Ulcius; it would have been nice to see people's reaction to the movie. But it does seem like the whole series is arranged throughout so that it is always cutting away before we get closure on anything––and it seems like the author took that to the far extreme in the end, where we know, just as the girls both seem to know, that the confession is coming, but we aren't going to get to see it. As for the movie, it's very consistent that we don't get to see it being shown, or see people's reactions, or feel any sense of accomplishment when it's finished––that would be that emotional catharsis the author is so committed to keeping off-screen the entire time. But I think there was a chance to do something a little better here, where the emotional catharsis that comes with seeing the movie is actual a kind of overflowing of Hajime's emotions––if seeing Kei as the object of love on-screen might just provoke her to admit her own feelings to herself. It would violate the Ozu-like restraint of this story, but I think that I, like a lot of people here, wanted that catharsis somewhere. I wish we saw just a little more of the shooting of the movie, as well. It's not like they're doing something normal and wholly cliched, like having a sleepover or walking to the convenience store. I would have liked to see more of the details of what it was they were doing while they filmed the movie. That's the part of the anime Waiting in Summer that made it all work for me; in that anime the filming was comic, but here it might have just been more serious and interesting. Instead, they're always wrapping for the day, or talking on the phone after filming is over. But all in all the story was very beautiful and it had a nice feeling to it. The more I think about it, a confession would have been a little too on-the-nose for the series. It is nice to see their feelings reciprocated as the story draws to a close.

joined Apr 14, 2018

funny when lots of you people focusing on how Honami felt like Sayaka, me here only think that Kei remind me a lot of Shizuru. and seeing that the story ended here, I'll keep my interpretation that Honami doesn't love Hajime romantically, but she just used to take care of her. Having a best friend like Honami feels like you won one of life's lottery , lol.

Dynastyscans
joined May 24, 2022

Initially I felt satisfied with how the filming and final product were depicted, but I see the potential there that's been missed.

Personally though, I really enjoy the ending. Handholding, that squeeze... That was good. I don't need to see the confession, I know it's gonna happen; what I loved seeing instead was that affectionate moment as the two left the station.
When both characters and the audience know the confession is coming, and roughly how it'll be received, do we really need to end on that? Maybe sometimes it's a nice bow to wrap up the series, but in this instance I prefer the smaller moment of connection between Hajime and Kei. The reconnection that assures both of them that everything between them is alright, and it's gonna be alright.

To reply you must either login or sign up.