Forum › The Nighthawk Drifts About discussion

joined Jul 21, 2020

Arata's situation illustrates something feminism knew very well in the 60s (before it got corrupted and rotten) that is: men are also victims of the capitalist-patriarchal social establishment, and suffer because of it as much as women.

The system favors men who follow its "rules".

So, don't put the struggle of men and women on the same level.

Aaand here it is: the true spirit of Karen feminism.
Black men live in fear of being gunned down by racist cops. Gay men suffer from hate, violence and discrimination. Working men are brutally exploited in capitalist countries. But the sense of entitlement of Karen feminists is so toxic, they think this is nothing next to the peeves of white, wealthy middle-class women. They have the gall to say that black men, gay men or exploited workers just have to "follow the rules" and they'll be "favored" by the system.
Corrupted and rotten alright.

last edited at Apr 10, 2021 4:49PM

joined Oct 27, 2018

What is even going on in these comments!?

Someone said the f-word, consequently opening a door for users to share what they believe is the root of their discontent in regards to living in today's society.

I guess this is what happens when a site attracts both lgbt people and the type of people who think the evil "sjws" want to ruin everything. Of course some people are both, but I really don't get that one.

joined Feb 8, 2016

I just happen to read chapter 5 and decided it was another angst filled story based very much in reality, but just makes me sick to read. The whole idea of roles that people believe, for whatever reason, they must fit into, be it culturally or otherwise is unnecessary and heart-rending to read. There is no rule that says a woman must marry a man or a man a woman, Yes, living life as a LGBTQ+ individual is not easy and you may lose the love of family members, but if they can't love you unconditionally, is it really love? Should you really care or worry about structuring your future life just to please them or inherit property? How much is one's dignity worth? These stories that paint people so stuck in a life they don't want is mostly hogwash. Nobody put a gun to their head and said marry this man or woman. Just because they don't want to choose the life which would make them happier in the long run, is no one's problem but their own. I have no pity for them. You reap what you sow. I'm happy for those who love reading about depressed people, but I choose not to read self pity stories and so will pass on anymore of this one.

afkeroge Uploader
Nanayuu
Noca Scans
joined May 29, 2015

I just happen to read chapter 5 and decided it was another angst filled story based very much in reality, but just makes me sick to read. The whole idea of roles that people believe, for whatever reason, they must fit into, be it culturally or otherwise is unnecessary and heart-rending to read. There is no rule that says a woman must marry a man or a man a woman, Yes, living life as a LGBTQ+ individual is not easy and you may lose the love of family members, but if they can't love you unconditionally, is it really love? Should you really care or worry about structuring your future life just to please them or inherit property? How much is one's dignity worth? These stories that paint people so stuck in a life they don't want is mostly hogwash. Nobody put a gun to their head and said marry this man or woman. Just because they don't want to choose the life which would make them happier in the long run, is no one's problem but their own. I have no pity for them. You reap what you sow. I'm happy for those who love reading about depressed people, but I choose not to read self pity stories and so will pass on anymore of this one.

While I understand what you mean to a certain extent, placing ALL the blame for a person's misery on said person is callous at best, and malicious at worst. Society places a very heavy burden on people because non-conformity, especially in countries like Japan, is practically social suicide for those who are or feel ill-equipped to handle the ramifications of their life choices (or, in your own words, a gun to their heads). This is a manga about the struggles of people chained down by social norms who try to escape them by any means necessary. Whether or not the actions they take are good or bad can be up for debate, but these are actions real people take to deal with the world around them represented in fiction. What you're saying is something akin to "Hey, why don't atheists just be open about it in the middle ages? Their unhappiness is their own fault, lmao."

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

These stories that paint people so stuck in a life they don't want is mostly hogwash. Nobody put a gun to their head and said marry this man or woman. Just because they don't want to choose the life which would make them happier in the long run, is no one's problem but their own. I have no pity for them. You reap what you sow. I'm happy for those who love reading about depressed people, but I choose not to read self pity stories and so will pass on anymore of this one.

Whether or not the actions they take are good or bad can be up for debate, but these are actions real people take to deal with the world around them represented in fiction. What you're saying is something akin to "Hey, why don't atheists just be open about it in the middle ages? Their unhappiness is their own fault, lmao."

It's like telling someone to pull themselves up by the bootstraps when said person has no boots at all from the start.

Yukako's and Chinami's internal circumstances are different. Seems to me, based on her grit she's shown, Chinami has been out first and foremost to herself, it's good. But Yukako doesn't seem to have that self-motivated courage to even admit to herself that she swings that way regardless of how many times she's slept with Chinami; it's a classic "closeted" case. Yukako was seemingly raised or encouraged to be "the dependable one": i.e destined to be a mother and serving her husband. Like, she's been programmed to put others' concerns before hers. Just look at how meek she is compared to Chinami who looks like she can swath away men like how carabaos do with flies.

Nobody put a gun to their head and said marry this man or woman. Just because they don't want to choose the life which would make them happier in the long run, is no one's problem but their own.

As Lucas Magnus has said, it's social suicide to go against the grain.

So, what about now that Yukako's confessed to her "crimes"? Is that not an act of "choosing"?

Yukako telling her husband now that she's in love with someone else doesn't disqualify the fact that the odds were certainly against her before all of this.

She only did so now because one: they are now adults. And two: Chinami backed her into a corner and made Yukako realize that Chinami is the only one who truly loves her. Essentially, Chinami's the "outsider" who reached out and gave Yukako the "boots" she needs.

It's pretty telling how Yukako describes her dreams about her and Chinami. For me, that moment seems to be the signal that she's finally grown the courage to face everything head-on.

D9b9a6feccfd2f91f76fbb604c3790ec4d0137ed_128
joined Jan 11, 2018

Why is it, when a relationship is on the rocks, some people think that having a baby is going to fix it?

The main character says that if she does not have a child then it is no different than being in a lesbian relationship. It is less to do with finding happiness in her relationship and more to do with feeling fulfillment in carrying out a societal norm.

She wants to have a child to make the hetero relationship "worth it." Otherwise she would just be with a woman.

Yagakimi%20fondo%208%20(2)
joined Apr 22, 2021

This was the last one or there really is a chapter 6?

joined Aug 10, 2021

Any updates?

joined Sep 7, 2021

An actual decent cheating story.

joined Aug 10, 2021

Okay, been a while... Will the author finish it or not?

joined Oct 17, 2015

I'm mad af with every single person who wrote in this thread to insult Yukako.

Yes yes every lesbian in the world who ever caved in to heteronormative patriarchal social coercion is an evil rotten bitch and deserves lots bad things to happen to her. /s

Wanna me to tell you where you all can shove your victim-blaming?

She is a bitch though. Victim of societal pressure or not she is making all the wrong decisions. She doesn't want to tell them she didn't want to get married (it's a pain having to repeat yourself so often but it's not going to be the end of the world to do so), so she gets married to someone she has never once loved and effectively involves others in her lie. Divorce is a pretty big black mark over there, too. Then she finds the person she snubbed earlier in life that she actually liked, and tries to rekindle things with her, effectively cheating on the husband, not realizing the bed she's getting in is not as nice and clean as she was hoping for.

I do NOT want this yuri couple to get together, but I do want her to get divorced and live her own damn life. Live the way you want, but don't drag people down with you because you're afraid to tell your parents "no"

Speaking ill of those who don't tell their parents "no" is definitely a symptom of privilege. If you don't know what it is to have parents like those, then it's easy enough to say "just say no" but it's a whole different matter when one's parents are of the personality where that doesn't even matter. If they're narcissists or BPD for example. Try to be idealistic about "just tell others" all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it's futile to reason with some and lying is indeed sometimes the only option that makes sense.

joined Oct 17, 2015

Also a reminder that in Japan, same-sex attraction is still often thought of as a fetish on par with scat and other stuff like that, and therefore something one grows out of after getting married. In fact, in Japan, marriage is seen as being for one thing only, and that's to have children. Love doesn't enter the picture.

Because of that, what you'd think of as the "wrong decision" would actually seem like the correct decision over there, which is to "get over" all same-sex attractions, get married, and then help with Japan's declining and aging population, THE END.

joined Dec 11, 2021

This ended long time ago. They got divorced in good terms. He understood her feelings for chinami. He was a good guy cause he encountered with chinami and had a friendly talk where he explained he got divorced cause yukako told him she was in love with her. He thought chinami and yukako were together but chinami didnt know what about the divorce and that yukako was out there. Finally, yukako and chinami met again and yukako told her about the reasons she got divorced, one of the reason was oc yukako was still in love with chinami. In a extra chapter it is shown that they are living separated. Chinami stayed with yukako on a friday night. Chinami is afraid of being separated again eventhough they started a relationship. Yukako was able to notice it and that's why she told chinami to trust her that this time she is not going to let anyone to interfere in their relationship. They kissed and had sx. Although they were living in different house, it is implied that eventually they decided to live together. End.

last edited at Jan 16, 2022 7:17PM by OrangePekoe

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This ended long time ago. They got divorced in good terms. He understood her feelings for chinami. He was a good guy cause he encountered with chinami and had a friendly talk where he explained he got divorced cause yukako told him she was in love with her. He thought chinami and yukako were together but chinami didnt know what about the divorce and that yukako was out there. Finally, yukako and chinami met again and yukako told her about the reasons she got divorced, one of the reason was oc yukako was still in love with chinami. In a extra chapter it is shown that they are living separated. Chinami stayed with yukako on a friday night. Chinami is afraid of being separated again eventhough they started a relationship. Yukako was able to notice it and that's why she told chinami to trust her that this time she is not going to let anyone to interfere in their relationship. They kissed and had sx. Although they were living in different house, it is implied that eventually they decided to live together. End.

Spoiler tag ffs. Just because it end long time ago mean you can spoil it freely.

last edited at Jan 16, 2022 7:16PM

AgenderArcee
Fzvftbrxoaepy3r%20copy
joined Feb 20, 2022

Going nuts not being able to finish this after that cliffhanger. I love pathetic women.....

last edited at May 1, 2022 4:37PM

joined Jul 25, 2022

I have the raws for chapter 6. If anyone who's a translator is interested then reply to me asap. Japanese is too hard to learn so I'm pretty desperate

joined Sep 3, 2022

I have the raws for chapter 6. If anyone who's a translator is interested then reply to me asap. Japanese is too hard to learn so I'm pretty desperate

Where I can read chapter 6?

To reply you must either login or sign up.