Forum › My Sister's Friend discussion

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

At least this can't be as bad as Age 15

Can it?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Shion24 posted:

like i just want to point out that this her older sister's OLDER friend so there's an age gap even between kyouko n nariko.
there's s high chance kyouko groomed nariko n hence the way she looked when she realized kyouko is talking to her LITTLE SISTER n even if it's not really that, we all know is not for s good reason so :/
in conclusion, amazing art but im out

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

juanelric posted:

At least this can't be as bad as Age 15

Can it?

No way. Battan doesn't do crotch sniffing.

If her previous manga is anything to go with, she never went into ecchi territory.

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

You're great Stan. Keep up the good work.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Holy shit... But, little random, but I like Kanda's room. Tiny, but with good ergonomy.

I like how that's what you focus on.

Come on! Her study desk is literally UNDER HER BED! Great use of limitated space! I love small houses...

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

battan really knows how to make things hurt like hell while looking SO GOOD

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

So kinda predictable I guess. Nacchan is peeved, because she has regrets over not being able to commit to Kyouko, Kyouko is all over the place because she is still in love with her, and Ruri is stuck somewhere in the middle of adult's problems.

Feels bad for Kyouko, stuck in the void for who knows how many years.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 4:00AM

Download
joined Dec 24, 2014

Man, I love Battan~~ So excited for the next chapter!

Avepjc_m
joined Feb 24, 2014

where’s the angst tag i’m in tears

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Bullseye 200 points? Are Japanese using different darts boards? 'cause I only know that as 50 ... which is why you go for 3x20, not bullseye ^^;

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I thought Nacchan loved Kyouko and would've wanted to go out with her, but I guess there was stuff holding her back, that she never properly dealt with and just bitterly laughed everything off. I didn't expect that ending though, that despite missing on purpose, despite never missing, that she regrets how things turned out.
Nacchan sounds like she's still conflicted and haven't moved on from that, I don't feel like she's truly happy atm

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

I thought Nacchan loved Kyouko and would've wanted to go out with her, but I guess there was stuff holding her back

It's not said as explicitly as in many others, but it's the usual stuff, isn't it? Societal pressure to create a "family unit", having stable employment, etc. She missed because she was scared, and later, she hit also because she was scared/already committed to this path and didn't want to feel like sacrificing Kyouko was meaningless.

At the end of chapter 1, she's all smiles and happiness until she is reminded of Kyouko by the gifts and immediately loses it.

joined Jan 5, 2020

Bullseye 200 points? Are Japanese using different darts boards? 'cause I only know that as 50 ... which is why you go for 3x20, not bullseye ^^;

I don’t think that was the dartboard proclaiming 200 points but Kyouka who doesn’t seem to know how the game really works anyway.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It's not said as explicitly as in many others, but it's the usual stuff, isn't it?

I don't know how much of that is just being scared, but it comes across to me like there's also a bit of "unusual stuff" this time - namely she feels vaguely jealous, or perhaps not good enough.

I don’t think that was the dartboard proclaiming 200 points but Kyouka who doesn’t seem to know how the game really works anyway.

On page 19, it's actually written inside the bullseye. Actually, looking at that picture, and I can't believe I didn't notice earlier ... this board doesn't have doubles and triples oO

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 7:20AM

joined Mar 5, 2016

nothing vague about the jealousy here.

everything that nacchan wants for herself, every little piece of jewellry that she falls in love with, is a better fit for kyouko who nacchan thought at first was just like her but... is prettier, fancier, more elegant and a more accomplished adult through being a published author

"she has everything i don't" isn't subtext, it's actual literal text. ruri also deals with feelings of inadequacy so it's a whole theme of the work.

142220480_1294910914226700_370792848566403998_n%20(2)
joined Feb 3, 2021

so she was both jealous AND in love with kyouko then?

Fishy
joined Oct 19, 2020

Hmm... it's not like I didn't notice the inadequacy/jealousy theme, but I couldn't put my finger on it, so I've shoved it in as something that emphasized the pressure of trying to build "something for her own". I guess that makes more sense, although I honestly can't empathize with the choice she made.

Man, reread the chapter and it bummed me out. The smile at p39 makes me tear up.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Dang. Insecurity and love don't go well together.

last edited at Mar 30, 2021 10:51AM

joined Sep 22, 2015

What if the things she wanted to buy for herself are actually the ones she would buy with Kyouko in mind? But subconsciously? She just doesn't want to admit it. This stuff happens when you put someone on a pedestal and your insecurity reigns. Still, it seems their relationship was never official, pretty vague. Anyway, am staying here for the drama

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

I found the whole chapter a bit stilted, but I do quite like the insecurity depicted. Very rare, and very real.

joined Sep 21, 2014

What if the things she wanted to buy for herself are actually the ones she would buy with Kyouko in mind? But subconsciously? She just doesn't want to admit it. This stuff happens when you put someone on a pedestal and your insecurity reigns. Still, it seems their relationship was never official, pretty vague. Anyway, am staying here for the drama

I think it really seemed for herself, bc of how each gift happened so coincidentally (she didn't just hand them to her iirc, she made Kyouko try them on or held them up to her and stuff). She didn't know if they suited her or not before she tried them either (apparently she just buys shit without checking first, idgi but she calls them impulse purchases), and she didn't know they would suit Kyouko either until she made her try.
The last gift especially, the lipstick is the best example bc she wasn't even the one to pick it out this time. I think the last gift was also the one that hurt the most (besides being the straw that broke the camel's back), bc not only did the bf pick it, not only did she actually think it looked great this time, but because Kyouko reached out and "took" it for herself, when she tried it on. It wasn't intentional on Kyouko's part (i think), but it happened to fit Nacchan's perception of "you take everything that is mine, I have nothing".
Unless I missed something (like how Kyouko feeling lonely and neglected for a while might've have contributed to it, that maybe she wanted to connect to Nacchan again), I think that was probably a coincidence, that this time she took one of Nacchan's items and tried it on without Nacchan being the one to offer it. Not intentionally but Nacchan probs wouldn't have brought it out for once either, bc it's something she thought actually suited her, something she wanted to keep for herself, something she wasn't complaining about.

joined Sep 21, 2014

I thought Nacchan loved Kyouko and would've wanted to go out with her, but I guess there was stuff holding her back

It's not said as explicitly as in many others, but it's the usual stuff, isn't it? Societal pressure to create a "family unit", having stable employment, etc. She missed because she was scared, and later, she hit also because she was scared/already committed to this path and didn't want to feel like sacrificing Kyouko was meaningless.

At the end of chapter 1, she's all smiles and happiness until she is reminded of Kyouko by the gifts and immediately loses it.

hmhm, that's neat, I haven't thought about that. Forgot about all those little remarks and comments in the beginning that ppl around her made too, that set the scene.
Also like dang, wtv genuine level of affection she feels for the boyfriend/fiancé, her insecurity and envy trumps it so hard, to the extent that she gave away the lipstick too (we didn't actually see Nacchan give it away but I can't imagine that Kyouko would just take it).

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

I’m kinda confused about everything happening but I’ll keep reading

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, Nacchan got scared.

And she was jealous too.

Image0
joined Aug 25, 2018

The epitome of " i dont know if I wanna be her or be with her"

To reply you must either login or sign up.