last edited at Mar 24, 2021 1:31PM

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

This is really good.

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

Who the hell is Sayaka? Also, keep up the good work

Here. Read this. It is part of your mandatory yuri education.

%e2%80%8f%e2%80%8f3b41c630da1d5f54055c73f6c5e80f31%20-%20%d9%86%d8%b3%d8%ae%d8%a9
joined May 24, 2020

so is it complete? ongoing? ...how many volumes are there?

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Wait, their uniforms are actually pretty unique

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

Oh man. I'm both glad and sad to see so many people likes Honami too. And yeah, she resembles Sayaka so much that's almost tortuous.

And the thing with the mc falling for Kei so fast, I don't know, feels so weird. This chapter we get to know that Kei was actually interested in Hajime beforehand, so that makes sense. But the other way around she hadn't even seen her before. That just makes me like Honami more, because there's no single reason why Hajime should be already fallen for Kei.

11143587_983945991615710_6019435042284427906_n
joined Jan 29, 2015

I really like Honami, just give me her alright?

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Who the hell is Sayaka? Also, keep up the good work

I was gonna ask who--

Here. Read this. It is part of your mandatory yuri education.

Ohhh...

Seems to be the ONE AND ONLY.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

And yes, kingsnowman8, you are a macho snowman carrying Yuri goodness on your back with all your strength. Bless your soul and your pockets. I can only imagine how it's not a joke buying volumes and translating stuff.

joined Aug 8, 2020

Thank you for all your hard work, excited to keep following this series!

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

INSTA SUBSCRIBED, been craving for some good yuri and this one meets my characters/story/depiction requirements, I'm all in and can't wait to see Honami getting the shaft more of these characters.

Buzzstyle
joined Feb 10, 2013

What I like about this is Kei and Hajime are actually talking to each other. It’s not like a lot of stories where someone makes an ambiguous confession and then the entire next tankouban is confessed-to girl wondering what she meant. Ambiguous confession this chapter, they discuss it next chapter. Tidy.

joined Apr 28, 2019

I like Honami so much ;'( she reminds me of my girl Sayaka. It hurts to see the angst!!

Nyarin
joined Mar 20, 2012

I can't take another love triangle.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Maybe I'm a jerk, but I think the author does a good job showing that while Honami likes the MC, she also keeps herself very busy and often doesn't have time for her. The MC's thoughts and memories are all of being alone for a good reason.

Hajime and Kei are both loners who like films. They've got more in common.

last edited at Mar 26, 2021 7:17PM

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

i think someone is eventually going to have to write a thinkpiece about bloom into you's influence on yuri as a genre because almost every new series I've read in the past year now seems to resemble it in some way. new tropes have definitely been codified.

i'm conflicted about this. on the one hand, bloom into you is a masterpiece and i get why you'd want to take inspiration from it, but on the other hand, i think a lot of this new wave of yuri is wearing their inspiration on their sleeves in a way that doesn't work for me. like, if i wanted to read bloom into you again i'd just do that--i actually do do that, quite often, because it's a really good story. but i want new things to read too.

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

new tropes have definitely been codified.

Honestly I don't think this is true at all. Bloom Into You is a well written and deep series but it doesn't do anything thematically that other series haven't done in the past. What it does is tie a lot of those preexisting themes together and does them well in the span of a single narrative. This is not a bad thing, stories do not need to be unique to be good and/or enjoyable. Indeed, they don't even need to be well executed either.

Img_0186
joined Jul 18, 2020

new tropes have definitely been codified.

Honestly I don't think this is true at all. Bloom Into You is a well written and deep series but it doesn't do anything thematically that other series haven't done in the past. What it does is tie a lot of those preexisting themes together and does them well in the span of a single narrative. This is not a bad thing, stories do not need to be unique to be good and/or enjoyable. Indeed, they don't even need to be well executed either.

i'm not talking about themes really. i agree, bloom into you doesn't like, revolutionize storytelling with its themes or anything. i think at its core the themes are pretty clear and straightforward, and i think the way they're executed on is what makes the story so good, is what gives it such complexity and depth. it's those tropes that i'm talking about, the sayaka character, a watchful best-friend who's one leg of the love triangle and whose love is doomed to go unrequited. the touko and yuu characters, they have an uncertain dynamic for most of the story--and sure that's common enough, this is literally a staple of romance stories. but they're specific in that it's a senpai/kohai relationship, there's love at first sight (basically), one of them doesn't really understand love, and the other has trauma and doesn't want her love to be reciprocated. those last two are the barrier to their relationship, that's where their character arcs are.

my issue is that it feels like a lot of the stories i've read recently have main characters with the tropes of touko and yuu without really understanding why they worked so well in bloom into you. it just feels surface level, like a pale imitation. the main one i'm thinking of here is whispering you a love song, which i admittedly haven't been keeping up with lately. from the first chapters of that story all i could think of was how similar those main characters are to touko and yuu. (and there's a sayaka character too.) and then the story just... didn't seem to really get it. it just felt like it took those tropes to try to tell a story similar to bloom into you without understanding that tropes are only surface level.

i'm not trying to say that all of the yuri that's been taking inspiration from bloom into you is bad or that taking inspiration is bad. there are some that i really like, actually. it doesn't feel like come rain or shine takes many of those obvious touko, yuu, or sayaka tropes, but it still reminds me of bloom into you, because i think arata iri gets what made it so good (she definitely read it)--it's the fundamental stuff that's key to romance stories, the themes and complimentary character arcs. the rest is window dressing.

and on the other hand, a monster wants to eat me feels like it more obviously takes from the bloom into you character tropes, but i've still been thoroughly enjoying it. maybe it's because of the beauty and the beast factor and the monsters, or maybe it's because it gets it--right now it's a bit too early to tell.

but yeah, this is just something i've been noticing in yuri (the yuri that gets translated at least) and i felt like commenting on it this time. like, this story is taking from the obvious character tropes AND rushing all the way to the play arc within the first 3 chapters. it's taking so much from bloom and just speeding it up. i don't even know these people yet. it makes me worried that it doesn't understand that it's the broader strokes that actually matter. it's obviously still too early to tell right now, but i just felt like talking about it.

i dunno, maybe my head is up my ass--i'm a philosophy major, that's par for the course for us.

Kawaii-anime-25355452-560-420
joined Feb 24, 2015

I dunno why but I'm in love with this story! Thank you!

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

please tell she'll be okay

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

oh she's def gonna move away after summer break

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Uff too bad that is only two volumes long, still, thank You for your work on it!

joined Sep 28, 2017

tragedy soon? Some terminal disease? I hope it's just about she moving out or something

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

tragedy soon? Some terminal disease? I hope it's just about she moving out or something

Yeah I think she's just moving, idk I don't think the sensei will say "till the end" or I don't remember the exact words meaning she's going to die, I mean that'd be so cruel lol

joined Jan 3, 2020

Time skip ending incoming after they reunite 5 years later after the move or something. Why does half the yuri end this way?

To reply you must either login or sign up.