Forum › Can't Defy the Lonely Girl discussion

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Abusive parents certainly exist, but it's the creator's choice to insert one here suddenly.

Not everything realistic makes for a good story.

And you disliking something doesn't make it objectively bad.

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

ok so the manga's focus is on Ayaka and sora's relationship and also, the lonely girl finally finding friends so I'm fine with the one-dimensional mother and her rushed interactions. it would have been nice to get a bit of build-up BUT soras relationship with her abusive mother is not the focal point of this story so i'll let it pass. I'm more interested to see how Ayaka and her friends rescue the lonely girl from that witch.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

I dont think were at the climax just yet. This is probably one of the more popular yuri series out right now and on yuri hime no less.

Feels more like the Citrus boss battle set ups with new foes at every turn

But still, damn poor Sora

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

-Loads shotgun- I just wanna talk to her

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

Y'all, just because you don't see the whole story doesn't mean it isn't realistic, my parents are assholes on this level but if you look at them from the outside they look like any normal parent out there.
We never saw Sora's mom before and we don't know if that kind of physical agression is a regular thing or not, but that doesn't make it unrealistic, we just don't know everything, and if that's the way the author is presenting that character it means that's how things work in this scenario.

last edited at Feb 27, 2021 9:44PM

joined Nov 9, 2017

Ah, how little would be lost if all abusive parents just spontaneously exploded... ^_^

If mom figures into this too hard (and doesn't get a well deserved fall down some stairs) I'll probably bail, but hopefully she's simply one of those villains that gets theirs.

(any responses about how abuse is not defining about a parent: wrong. thanks though, and it's not like I'll ever get my wish of being a supernatural vigilante who executes abusive parents! so if you feel guilty about something you did, don't worry. you got away with whatever you did to the weaker humans you essentially own.

but I'm sure you're not a monster, naturally. that would be incivil!)

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

i honestly love manga where there is a dumbass parent who gets put in their place. so satisfying. lookin forward to the next one.

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

i don´t think the problem is whether or not the situation is realistic, the timing was insanely convenient and the whole situation was predictible and cliche , a lot of people already knew what was gonna happened from the previous chapter,. There´s also the fact that is one of the most overused tropes of romance, i can see why people is so tired of it

last edited at Feb 27, 2021 12:30AM

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Love how you're all contemplating the realism of the parent and my first thought was the realism of where Sora is gonna go if they do stop her from moving away lmao
Despite how it may be unrealistic, I'm still kinda just along for the ride like woo! let's go!

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

Go for it Ayaka. Go get your girl.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Drama

Herosandroiii
joined Jan 16, 2020

Not only she comes back unannounced, (judging by Sora's reaction, she didn't gave her a call or sms, that she would come back) but also starts right off the bat talking about moving away and having a new man, acts all happily and motherly only to switch to her evil, abusive side when her daughter shows a tiniest sign of disobedience and to top it all off, she doesn't even asks Sora about her well being, if she eats healthy, if she's attending school, if she made some friends. Nothing at all. Only cares about money and status... One of the worst types of parents...
Sorry for bad Eng...

Sora's mom Vs Ayaka's mom when? ( like in Erased)

joined Aug 29, 2019

At least for me it's the combination of how extremely "conveniently inconvenient" (thanks to ninrok for reminding me of the term) mom's appearance is and how she's presented to be just so very cliché bad parent. It's something I'd appreciate in a series that was taking the piss out of tropes, a caricature trying to subvert them, but here it seems that the trope is just tuned up to the max and then played straight.

It's not that her "parenting skill" doesn't make sense - her daughter is kinda dysfunctional and parents more often than not have to shoulder at the very least some of the blame for that, and while she's pretty much cliché, those generally stem from reality anyway.

Sora's not allowed to have a mind of her own, to do anything MOTHER disapproves of, at least while she's present. "But me no buts, little miss!" It thus makes sense that she'd try to reclaim some of her liberty by rejecting "proper" behaviour (i.e. going to class) now that mom's not around. Friends probably haven't worked out in the past, MOTHER probably didn't approve or pushed them away when she was there, so she didn't really feel like trying now until Ayaka and her social circle somewhat gently got her involved.

MOTHER does make sense in the story. Her timing and abruptness is just a bit much.

last edited at Feb 27, 2021 7:49AM

Screenshot_2021-10-17-05-27-52-38
joined Jan 19, 2021

sora's mom ain't cool :(

Murcielago_reiko
joined Dec 9, 2019

sora's mom ain't cool :(

Oh wow. That dried my initial bone-- I mean admiration for Sora's mum. Don't listen to the wicked hot witch, Ayaka, you're not a stranger to Sora.

Meanwhile, Ayaka's big bro is such a sweetheart. I guess we'll be seeing more of him in the coming chapters, I hope.

last edited at Feb 27, 2021 1:02PM

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

I mean a lot of ppl are arguing about how the bad parenting trope sucks, but to me until “parents” learn that children aren’t belongings or things they own and can push around in real life, I’m fine with it showing up in stories.

And it’s not like it’s completely strange or a surprise either that the mom’s horrible. We’re 15 chapters in and several months have passed, but Sora’s parents were barely mentioned and only negatively if they were as if she wanted to avoid that topic entirely and just save herself from having to think about them bc her parents were pricks. In fact, one of the main mentions they have is in a flashback about them fighting and it affecting Sora to the point she doesn’t even want to come home. This alone gives enough foreshadowing and evidence at Sora’s home life. If we take it a step further even and make an analysis on why this scene and situation still makes sense subtextually is, in addition to Sora’s flashbacks, the behavior a child would have towards busy but caring parents is they tend to be at least be mentioned casually because that conveys their ability to miss them or shows they matter enough to a person to be brought up in conversation. However, it’s rather common behavior that abused youths don’t always know what to do or ask for help in these situations, so what can end up happening is they usually internalize and avoid said topics, especially if they still depend on the abuser

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

We should just go for the Koisuru Asteroid solution here. Considering the mother's attitude towards Sora and the position of her new partner, she'd likely be more than happy to be rid of her anyway...

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

Personally i have no problem with this trope being used, except that here it's sudden appearance makes it seem more like a contrivance to help rush this story to it's end than to actually explore the issues related to it.

If it had been better established leading up to this event then probably it wouldn't have been rejected so much by so many.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Well, the other problem is that yes, abusive mother is realistic. But what's realistic after that? She wants to take her 'property' to Hokkaido, then that's what happens. Or maybe Sora runs away from home. Mommy Dearest changing her mind because Sora's high school friends plead for her isn't realistic. There's not a likely realistic happy ending now.

We just jumped from romantic comedy to abusive parent. That's a big tone shift.

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

Love how you're all contemplating the realism of the parent and my first thought was the realism of where Sora is gonna go if they do stop her from moving away lmao
Despite how it may be unrealistic, I'm still kinda just along for the ride like woo! let's go!

You seem like that one friend who will say yes to every weird trip people ask you to go on and I'm all for it

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

You seem like that one friend who will say yes to every weird trip people ask you to go on and I'm all for it

I totally am, how did you know?! xD

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

This got really dumb all of a sudden lol. Like it was bad before but now its laughable.

joined Nov 14, 2014

I have this urge to beat up Sora's mom.

A833b0da-ef0f-4898-8593-d053f3beae0c
joined Feb 25, 2017

Can we all just appreciate the fact that the author gave Sora a little Kotarou plushie (in the box on p13). I love it when authors do little things like that!

To reply you must either login or sign up.