Forum › The "Villainess's" Engagement Annulment, Or An Account of the "Dark Saintess" ~another story~ discussion

7cef6765-347e-4891-9364-552dfe71ffd8
joined Sep 28, 2020

iftv but the turns have tabled and theyre all the exact opposite of themselves (good read tho)

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

After 2 shitty and repeating chapters, we got a interesting one that should be serialized

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 8:28AM

joined Dec 18, 2020

You know, I was amused by seeing people getting pissed off at the other chapters, so I was actually hoping this one would be an ireedemable dumpster fire.

Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

^Ngl, I was half expecting someone to complain about the Engagement Annulation even if it was only 2 pages.

Y5
joined Jul 23, 2020

tho there wasn't really yuri in it but this is actually great which needs to be serialized.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 9:11AM

joined Jan 13, 2021

If this was a oneshot that might develop into a full series, it would be excellent, but as a self-contained entry in an anthology, it feels rather lacking. The political manoeuvring was interesting by otome villainess story standards (although that is an extremely low bar), but I felt zero emotional connect to anyone involved. It feels like a classic example of telling over showing- we're told that there's a good relationship between the two leads and shown a panel of them with lilies in the background, and we're told that the duchess plays the part of a villain while a montage runs in the background, but nothing ever seems to happen in real time apart from dreary exposition dumps about the politics of a place we know basically nothing about. I'd get it if it was your standard chapter one infodump that gives readers context so that the rest of the story can flow, but as a complete story in itself, it just feels like a chore to read, a promise for what might be a compelling tale delivered by a dispassionate voiceover. All in all, it suffers from the exact same problem that every other story in this anthology has- a desire to stuff a complex narrative into forty pages by prioritizing generic otome political babble over any actual emotional depth. This doesn't feel like an anthology of tales so much as a compilation of recap episodes for series that never actually existed.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

This is a prologue man , really need an serialization

Birdi
joined Sep 19, 2014

Well, this anthalogy doesn`t work well as we wished.
The one of Bakarina threat more properly the yuri without putt this two chapter of main intervention.

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

Like most comments have previously stated, I really hope this story does reach full serialization.

joined Jul 24, 2018

Huh, we got the villainess as the pov this time

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

The concept is nice but the way they told the story is kinda bad...
Like, they are telling everything and the illustration did the minimum to clear the context (except to show their faces?). This would work a lot better as light novel

joined Aug 8, 2020

It definitely feels like a pilot that the mangaka hopes to get serialized.

joined Jun 30, 2016

No this is a spin off, another story, in the original Emilia becomes her personal maid at the end.

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Story was like being thrown out midflight.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 11:25AM

joined May 18, 2020

No this is a spin off, another story, in the original Emilia becomes her personal maid at the end.

Huh which one is the original??

20200119_124434
joined Jan 19, 2020

Hey this sounds like a cool looking prologue if you think about that.

Ottilie working in the shadows as the Dark Saintess to protect her future gf friend Emilia who stands in the light and tries to survive from the dark scheme of Ottilie's dad or something.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 12:39PM

Acreepshowavatar
joined Oct 20, 2017

Sounds like this would be a cool prologue. As a self contained story, it would need work though.

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

I want 500 chapters of this

Shigure%20beach
joined Oct 18, 2017

This... this was cool. You can see the limitations that occurred due to it only being a one shot of limited pages but if this was serialized, the potential is enormous (especially for the villainess and heroine to eventually be together).

I do like that the first 2 pages were red herring bait before the twist.

Zzzz
joined Nov 18, 2019

If this was a oneshot that might develop into a full series, it would be excellent, but as a self-contained entry in an anthology, it feels rather lacking. The political manoeuvring was interesting by otome villainess story standards (although that is an extremely low bar), but I felt zero emotional connect to anyone involved. It feels like a classic example of telling over showing- we're told that there's a good relationship between the two leads and shown a panel of them with lilies in the background, and we're told that the duchess plays the part of a villain while a montage runs in the background, but nothing ever seems to happen in real time apart from dreary exposition dumps about the politics of a place we know basically nothing about. I'd get it if it was your standard chapter one infodump that gives readers context so that the rest of the story can flow, but as a complete story in itself, it just feels like a chore to read, a promise for what might be a compelling tale delivered by a dispassionate voiceover. All in all, it suffers from the exact same problem that every other story in this anthology has- a desire to stuff a complex narrative into forty pages by prioritizing generic otome political babble over any actual emotional depth. This doesn't feel like an anthology of tales so much as a compilation of recap episodes for series that never actually existed.

Is a one shot that is way too short to be judge as a whole, again, way too short, still good tho.

9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Oooooooooooooh I love this one.

last edited at Jan 27, 2021 10:54PM

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

All in all, it suffers from the exact same problem that every other story in this anthology has- a desire to stuff a complex narrative into forty pages by prioritizing generic otome political babble over any actual emotional depth. This doesn't feel like an anthology of tales so much as a compilation of recap episodes for series that never actually existed.

This is so spot on. Every story was packed with exposition connecting scattered events rather than cohesive narratives. It was fun, but i felt like there was a library of otome tropes going right over my head

Integra%2010
joined Dec 4, 2019

I love the amount of worldbuilding here, a nice conclusion of the anthology!

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

whoa whOA WHOA
That was a rollercoaster and a half. I'm gonna need this oneshot to explain a little more than that LOL

joined Jul 20, 2011

When I saw that Duke Havel was the protagonist's dad, my brain went "wait, he's a Dark Souls build!"

To reply you must either login or sign up.