Forum › Adachi and Shimamura (Novel) discussion

Download202001sdsfsfdsfsdfdsfdsfs02154639
joined Apr 18, 2016

Thanks dude, enjoyed the first two volumes but I didn't want to plunk down anymore cash if there wasn't going to be progress, but thats pretty reassuring. Sometimes its nice to be a liiiittle spoiled just to know I'm not wasting my time, LOL.

last edited at Dec 29, 2020 10:53AM

981c42da2a6ca1ced16e6500fb8d64cc
joined Dec 29, 2020

I finally finished the whole thing. Volume 9 felt so short, I really wished for more. I hope the tenth volume comes as soon as possible and will cover many things regarding Adachi and Shimamura (I'm especially hoping for Shimamura and Tarumi meeting, that thing seriously needs a resolution. Also some more dates, where Shimamura's feelings become more and more clear - kinda wish for something physical like a hug or maybe finally a kiss?).

Anyway, I there is something I was meaning to ask. Has any of you read other works from Hitoma Iruma? Are they as good as this? Would you recommend me something? Regarding Saeki Sayaka is already on the way, I will read them all when the final volume arrives. But I have no idea about the others. Although, I would really appreciate any kind of recommendation of novel/manga/yuri/VN (really whatever) which is similar to AdaShima. There's no need for it to be a yuri nor a romance. I just love works where the personalities and relationships of characters are explored to such a deep level. Actually, you can even suggest a book. Really, I am into whatever form of media.

last edited at Dec 29, 2020 4:18PM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I would really appreciate any kind of recommendation of novel/manga/yuri/VN (really whatever) which is similar to AdaShima

There's a VN called SeaBed which is also all about the introspective exploration of the relationship between two girls and their psyche, complete with the POV switching between chapters. Though while you could describe Adashima as fluffy and lighthearted, this one is way heavier and sad. I still really recommend it as its own thing as long as you can deal with lots of reading and slow build-ups, which I guess are also much like Adashima.

joined Dec 29, 2020

I would really appreciate any kind of recommendation of novel/manga/yuri/VN (really whatever) which is similar to AdaShima

There's a VN called SeaBed which is also all about the introspective exploration of the relationship between two girls and their psyche, complete with the POV switching between chapters. Though while you could describe Adashima as fluffy and lighthearted, this one is way heavier and sad. I still really recommend it as its own thing as long as you can deal with lots of reading and slow build-ups, which I guess are also much like Adashima.

Thank you very much! I'll definitely try it out. I don't mind heavier or sadder stories. Adashima also had some melancholic and deep moments, or, at least, that's how it seemed to me. But I agree that it's more of a really wholesome novel. Thank you once again! These kind of stories give me a tremendous amount of joy, even if they are quite painful sometimes.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Thanks dude, enjoyed the first two volumes but I didn't want to plunk down anymore cash if there wasn't going to be progress, but thats pretty reassuring. Sometimes its nice to be a liiiittle spoiled just to know I'm not wasting my time, LOL.

Bro I get you, I'm exactly the same lol I always look for spoilers about the romance to know if it's worth spending my time reading a series, I just don't have the time to waste a week or so reading a series where nothing happens, or they just have a lousy confession at the end.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

I hope the tenth volume comes as soon as possible and will cover many things regarding Adachi and Shimamura (I'm especially hoping for Shimamura and Tarumi meeting, that thing seriously needs a resolution. Also some more dates, where Shimamura's feelings become more and more clear - kinda wish for something physical like a hug or maybe finally a kiss?).

Anyway, I there is something I was meaning to ask. Has any of you read other works from Hitoma Iruma? Are they as good as this? Would you recommend me something? Regarding Saeki Sayaka is already on the way, I will read them all when the final volume arrives. But I have no idea about the others. Although, I would really appreciate any kind of recommendation of novel/manga/yuri/VN (really whatever) which is similar to AdaShima. There's no need for it to be a yuri nor a romance. I just love works where the personalities and relationships of characters are explored to such a deep level. Actually, you can even suggest a book. Really, I am into whatever form of media.

I'm with you there brother I really hope the 10th volume comes out soon, it must be painful right? Having caught up with this amazing series and knowing you're now in waiting hell lol.

Indeed I also want exactly more of that more dates and more Shima POV and her also falling more in love with Adachi, like I feel like it's already there, she does love Adachi and really appreciates how her crazy honest and weirdly outgoing personality was able to make someone as detached as and lazy as her have something to look forward to everyday, but at heart she's still just as lazy lol, but it really seems like she wants to put in the effort to return Adachi's love with the same enthusiasm.

Bloom into you is a great pick-up it's just about as good as this but just be warned there's a lot of angst there, you're lucky 3rd volume just came out as that' ones the best cuz it solves everything so I definitely recommend reading all 3 of them in a row, definitely as good and character heavy as AdaShima, it has the same feel but it's all just focused on Sayaka, the thing is her thought process, decisions, and where she ends up at times makes it so sad to read through some times, I had to put it down and pace around the room a couple times lol, but volume 3 finally gives her that happy ending we all knew she deserves, she's a great character definitely my favorite from the manga so it's very happy seeing her get it in volume 3.

Denppa onna whatever I only watched the anime and I didn't really like it, it was fucking weird so can't say much about that one.

Such good character focused and very introspective series are pretty rare bro lol, well you might want to check out "Otherside Picnic" a horror, adventure kinda, Yuri, I know the genres make it seem to be all over the place but I swear it's a damn good light novel.

"Prism" it's a manga, Yuri, short and sweet but I think it does a good job developing both main characters, but on the ecchi side but I think it's damn good.

"Hana Ni Arashi" manga, yuri, it has a very slow start and the author has this annoying habit of repeating this certain line a lot, but just get through that and its very good, both main female protagonists get a lot of development and their relationship is very sweet.

"Doughnuts under a Crescent Moon" also a manga, a woman that is struggling with trying to be normal meets a woman that lives life at her own pace and starts an introspection about who she really wants to be, it's pretty fucking good, not a lot of chaps atm though, it's sweet seeing both of them realize things about themselves thx to each other.

"Kusiriya no Hitorigoto" not Yuri, historical, drama heavy, novel and manga, a girl needs to use her wit to stay alive inside a court in a feudal society, and yeah she's just a girl and from low status, it's pretty interesting seeing how she maneuvers in such a place.

"Asuperu Kanojo" romance, manga, two very weird people start a relationship, errr this one is kinda weird but it really goes in depth about both characters, idk maybe you'll like it lol.

"Watamote" manga, slice of life, I'll be honest the first 70 chapters of this manga are brutal the mc is an honest to god super awkward otaku, but from chap 70+ onwards she begins to change so much it's very amazing, it's not an unbelievable change or anything either, it's super subtle, you don't even realize when she became able to deal with situations that would have destroyed her before and she gets a bunch of amazing relationships that are very well developed, amazing character development I really love this series, but again those first 70 chaps are brutal and I get not many people want to read through them.

"Otoyomegatari" manga, welp this one is a crazy experience, the art is some of the best out there, try chap 1 and just go from there I guess.

"The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten" novel, romance, 2 characters are able to overcome certain character flaws thx to each other, both are pretty likable and I like their interactions together.

"Reign of the seven spell blades" Novel, well this one is more on the action side but the main group of characters have fantastic chemistry together, it's real damn good.

Welp I hope there's something there you like.

last edited at Dec 31, 2020 6:54AM

joined Dec 29, 2020

I hope the tenth volume comes as soon as possible and will cover many things regarding Adachi and Shimamura (I'm especially hoping for Shimamura and Tarumi meeting, that thing seriously needs a resolution. Also some more dates, where Shimamura's feelings become more and more clear - kinda wish for something physical like a hug or maybe finally a kiss?).

I'm with you there brother I really hope the 10th volume comes out soon, it must be painful right? Having caught up with this amazing series and knowing you're now in waiting hell lol.

Indeed I also want exactly more of that more dates and more Shima POV and her also falling more in love with Adachi, like I feel like it's already there, she does love Adachi and really appreciates how her crazy honest and weirdly outgoing personality was able to make someone as detached as and lazy as her have something to look forward to everyday, but at heart she's still just as lazy lol, but it really seems like she wants to put in the effort to return Adachi's love with the same enthusiasm.

Bloom into you is a great pick-up it's just about as good as this but just be warned there's a lot of angst there, you're lucky 3rd volume just came out and that's ones the best cuz it solves everything so I definitely recommend reading all 3 of them in a row, definitely as good and character heavy as AdaShima.

Denppa onna whatever I only watched the anime and I didn't really like it, it was fucking weird so can't say much about that one.

Such good character focused and very introspective series are pretty rare bro lol, well you might want to check out "Otherside Picnic" a horror, adventure kinda, Yuri, I know it seems to be all over the place but I swear it's a damn good light novel.

"Prism" it's a manga, short and sweet but I think it does a good job developing both main characters.

"Hana Ni Arashi" it has a very slow start and the author has this annoying habit of repeating this certain line a lot, but just get through that and its very good, manga.

"Doughnuts under a Crescent Moon" also a manga, a woman that is struggling with trying to be normal meets a woman that loves life at her own pace and starts an introspection about who she really wants to be, it's pretty good.

"Kusiriya no Hitorigoto" not Yuri, a girl needs to use her wit to stay alive inside a court in a feudal society, and yeah she's just a girl and from low status, it's pretty interesting seeing how she maneuvers in such a place.

"Asuperu Kanojo" romance, manga, two very weird people start a relationship, errr this one is kinda weird but it really goes in depth about both characters, idk maybe you'll like it lol.

"Watamote" manga, slice of life, I'll be honest the first 70 chapters of this manga are brutal the mc is a honest to good super awkward otaku, but from chap 70+ onwards she begins to change so much it's very amazing, it's not an unbelievable change or anything either, it's super subtle, you don't even realize when she became able to deal with situations that would have destroyed her later, amazing character development I really love this series, but again those first 70 chaps are brutal and I get not many people want to read through them.

"Otoyomegatari" manga, welp this one is a crazy experience, the art is some of the best out there, try chap 1 and just go from there I guess.

"The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten" novel, romance, 2 characters are able to overcome certain character flaws thx to each other.

"Reign of the seven spell blades" Novel, well this one is more on the action side but the main group of characters have fantastic chemistry together, it's real damn good.

Welp I hope there's something there you like.

Bloom into You is my favorite yuri manga (while AdaShima is my favorite light novel, easy solution for first places) and I bought all the volumes. And after what you said I'm really pumped up to read Saeki Sayaka. I'm gonna binge read them.

And thank you very much for those recommendations. I have read some of them, but there are a lot that I didn't.

Just recently I found out about Otherside Picnic, but I plan to watch the anime or read the manga before deciding whether it's worth buying. (but I really hope I will love it) Many say it's good so I do have some expectations (or maybe better said, I'm really curious about it)

And after what you said about Watamote, it really caught my attention. The anime looked kinda meh, so I avoided it but sorry, I can't say no to amazing character development. 70 chapters are nothing XD

Otoyomegatari does also look incredible, now I really want to read it!

Thank you for expanding my want-to-read list XD definitely gonna check them out

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten" novel, romance, 2 characters are able to overcome certain character flaws thx to each other.

Planned to read these two anyway, glad to know they're good enough to be recommended here.

Might also add Maou no Ore ga Dorei Elf wo Yome ni Shitanda ga, Dou Medereba Ii? to the list, the couple here could easily rival Adachi in awkwardness.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Bloom into You is my favorite yuri manga (while AdaShima is my favorite light novel, easy solution for first places) and I bought all the volumes. And after what you said I'm really pumped up to read Saeki Sayaka. I'm gonna binge read them.

And thank you very much for those recommendations. I have read some of them, but there are a lot that I didn't.

Just recently I found out about Otherside Picnic, but I plan to watch the anime or read the manga before deciding whether it's worth buying. (but I really hope I will love it) Many say it's good so I do have some expectations (or maybe better said, I'm really curious about it)

And after what you said about Watamote, it really caught my attention. The anime looked kinda meh, so I avoided it but sorry, I can't say no to amazing character development. 70 chapters are nothing XD

Np bro hope you enjoy them.

Otherside Picnic was an extremely happy surprise for me, I'd heard it was good so I went in with high expectations and it easily lived up to them and blew me away, the author does a great job setting up a tense and creepy atmosphere, I was amazed at how creeped out I was, in a good sense lol, the relationship between the two main characters is also great, their budding friendship is very nice, and volume 4 just came out and I heard that the Yuri finally picks up there, I'm very excited to read it lol.

Bro watamote is amazing if you do read it it'd be cool to hear what you think about it.

Welp I'd definitely have to concur with your statements, Adachi to Shimamura is also my favorite romance light novel, bloom into you is my favorite Yuri manga, yeah just Yuri, favorite romance needs to go to "The 100 girlfriends who really really really really really love me", pure genius, the pinnacle of a harem romcom.

last edited at Dec 31, 2020 7:11AM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

You know something I really want to see from volume 10 ? Shimamura feeling loved and pampered, a scene that really stayed with me and hit me hard was that one where Adachi wants her to pat her head, and Shima says something along the lines of "you know sometimes I also want to let go and be pampered/spoiled", it was volume 7 I believe? Anyone remember the exact scene lol.

Now with Adachi being more chill and sure about Shimas love, I want her to give Shima a sense of being a girl in love I guess and that she can also act spoiled around Adachi and ask for such requests, not that she has to take care of Adachi all the time.

joined Dec 29, 2020

Np bro hope you enjoy them.

Otherside Picnic was an extremely happy surprise for me, I'd heard it was good so I went in with high expectations and it easily lived up to them and blew me away, the author does a great job setting up a tense and creepy atmosphere, I was amazed at how creeped out I was, in a good sense lol, the relationship between the two main characters is also great, their budding friendship is very nice, and volume 4 just came out and I heard that the Yuri finally picks up there, I'm very excited to read it lol.

Bro watamote is amazing if you do read it it'd be cool to hear what you think about it.

Welp I'd definitely have to concur with your statements, Adachi to Shimamura is also my favorite romance light novel, bloom into you is my favorite Yuri manga, yeah just Yuri, favorite romance needs to go to "The 100 girlfriends who really really really really really love me", pure genius, the pinnacle of a harem romcom.

Woah, Otherside Picnic does really sound like something I'd enjoy. I'm really looking forward to the anime. And good to hear that yuri is picking up. Honestly, my biggest problem with light novels is the wait. I'm a patient person, but can't imagine waiting years or decades with one volume per year or two, where the progress is little to none (like in AdaShima, I'm lucky to be able to read all the nine volumes at once). But I think I'm definitely gonna buy Otherside Picnic, but not now, because I just ordered the first three volumes of Adashima, third volume of Saeki Sayaka, bought the whole Umineko VN, also Angels with Scaly Wings and the game Celeste. I really can't spend more money now. The second omnibus is coming out in August, so maybe in summer.

Currently I'm really behind with all my manga because I kind of dropped everything when I was playing Higurashi VN. So I have lot of catching up to do. But after that I am going to check it out.

For me it's not hard to pick Adachi and Shimamura as my favorite light novel because I read just very few of them. I kind of got into them this year. I read Female General and Eldest Princess and Clear and Muddy Loss of Love (which aren't LNs but whatever), read about 30 chapter of Roll Over And Die, but kind of lost my interest (was good but the romance(?) started being meh) and lastly, some years ago I read Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de Aru. So it's easy to pick Adashima. I usually don't like reading unless it's a physical book. But it kind of changed so now I definitely wanna read more light novels.
And I didn't hear about that manga, will have to check it out. I can't choose a favorite romance because I read lot of manga and have hard time picking favorites. Fruits Basket, Kaguya-sama or Akatsuki no Yona belong to my favorites, but I'm not sure to what extent are they considered to be romance. Now that I think about it, I considered myself to be a huge romance fan, but there isn't a single story in my favorites that got it's place for the romance. But maybe it's like that for everyone. I care more about the relationships in general than just the romantic ones. Like there is a manga Ani no Yome to Kurashiteimasu which I still can't tell whether it's a yuri bait or really a GL. But I kind of stopped caring and just hope the two girls can overcome their problems and lead a fulfilling life while supporting each other. However, there is also Hibike Euphonium with Kumiko and Reina, probably the biggest yuri bait ever. I'm still not over that one. I don't have a problem with Kumiko ending up with Shuuichi, but they made Kumiko and Reina so hella gay. Like you really can't just write it off as friends. I am a girl and have girl friends, but we are no way acting like them. Neither do the ones around me. I admit I am a little weird, but my friends, while they do get a little physical sometimes (like hug or something, though I don't know why) but never like those two. Attraction is literally written all over their faces. And I refuse to believe it's a cultural thing. So I'm kinda mad at KyoAni for making them so gay for nothing. But I still like the show and kinda ship the two.

Sorry for the long post. I rarely have an opportunity to talk about these things with someone.

EDIT: Also forgot to add, that Bloom into You is easily the best yuri, because honestly most of the yuri suck. I read a lot of them and enjoy them, but hardly any can reach the level Bloom Into You did. There was Fluttering Feelings (which is webtoon but whatever) but... that one was unfortunate. It still makes me sad, knowing what happened to the author. Anyway, it's quite rare to find a high quality yuri. And one without a rushed ending. (although rushed ending are becoming quite popular nowadays in general, or maybe I'm just unlucky)

last edited at Dec 31, 2020 8:40AM

joined Dec 29, 2020

You know something I really want to see from volume 10 ? Shimamura feeling loved and pampered, a scene that really stayed with me and hit me hard was that one where Adachi wants her to pat her head, and Shima says something along the lines of "you know sometimes I also want to let go and be pampered/spoiled", it was volume 7 I believe? Anyone remember the exact scene lol.

Now with Adachi being more chill and sure about Shimas love, I want her to give Shima a sense of being a girl in love I guess and that she can also act spoiled around Adachi and ask for such requests, not that she has to take care of Adachi all the time.

Shimamura being pampered by Adachi and feeling all satisfied? That sounds dangerous. My head might actually blow up. I just barely survived the first sleepover and the three confessions. After that I calmed down a little, but the conversation between Shimamura and Adachin in 9 volume about their relationship did also cause my head to go haywire. So I can't imagine surviving seeing Shimamura acting spoiled.

When it comes to this novel I'm literally Adachi. Yesterday I almost called my dog Shimamura, that's how often is this story on my mind. I was never in love, but this story changed that, I guess.

last edited at Dec 31, 2020 8:49AM

Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

@Kahirama: Yeah, don't worry, that is pretty much how everyone feels about Hibike.

joined Jun 7, 2019

why is everyone talking about other series in "adachi to shimamura"?lol

joined Jun 7, 2019

However, there is also Hibike Euphonium with Kumiko and Reina, probably the biggest yuri bait ever. I'm still not over that one. I don't have a problem with Kumiko ending up with Shuuichi, but they made Kumiko and Reina so hella gay. Like you really can't just write it off as friends. I am a girl and have girl friends, but we are no way acting like them. Neither do the ones around me. I admit I am a little weird, but my friends, while they do get a little physical sometimes (like hug or something, though I don't know why) but never like those two. Attraction is literally written all over their faces. And I refuse to believe it's a cultural thing. So I'm kinda mad at KyoAni for making them so gay for nothing. But I still like the show and kinda ship the two.

Me too,i don't care if they make Kumiko end up with Shuichii.For me,Kumiko and Reina are already married and they adopted three cats.
Yes, honestly it is frustrating, unfortunately you will find a lot of "yuri bait" in anime a little old. If there is chemistry between two female characters or if a female character likes girls in an anime that is not specifically "yuri" what more likely it will end in straight. In Japan there is still that belief of: "a girl only likes a girl because she has not found 'the right man'"

last edited at Dec 31, 2020 11:28PM

joined Jun 7, 2019

However, there is also Hibike Euphonium with Kumiko and Reina, probably the biggest yuri bait ever. I'm still not over that one. I don't have a problem with Kumiko ending up with Shuuichi, but they made Kumiko and Reina so hella gay. Like you really can't just write it off as friends. I am a girl and have girl friends, but we are no way acting like them. Neither do the ones around me. I admit I am a little weird, but my friends, while they do get a little physical sometimes (like hug or something, though I don't know why) but never like those two. Attraction is literally written all over their faces. And I refuse to believe it's a cultural thing. So I'm kinda mad at KyoAni for making them so gay for nothing. But I still like the show and kinda ship the two.

Sorry for the long post. I rarely have an opportunity to talk about these things with someone.

EDIT: Also forgot to add, that Bloom into You is easily the best yuri, because honestly most of the yuri suck. I read a lot of them and enjoy them, but hardly any can reach the level Bloom Into You did. There was Fluttering Feelings (which is webtoon but whatever) but... that

Me too,i don't care if they make Kumiko end up with Shuichii.For me,Kumiko and Reina are already married and they adopted three cats.
Yes, honestly it is frustrating, unfortunately you will find a lot of "yuri bait" in anime a little old. If there is chemistry between two female characters or if a female character likes girls in an anime that is not specifically "yuri" what more likely it will end in straight. In Japan there is still that belief of: "a girl only likes a girl because she has not found 'the right man'"

last edited at Dec 31, 2020 11:30PM

joined Jun 7, 2019

Shimamura being pampered by Adachi and feeling all satisfied? That sounds dangerous. My head might actually blow up. I just barely survived the first sleepover and the three confessions. After that I calmed down a little, but the conversation between Shimamura and Adachin in 9 volume about their relationship did also cause my head to go haywire. So I can't imagine surviving seeing Shimamura acting spoiled.

When it comes to this novel I'm literally Adachi. Yesterday I almost called my dog Shimamura, that's how often is this story on my mind. I was never in love, but this story changed that, I guess.

Me too, the story is so simple but at the same time it has something that leaves you hooked and wanting more, you become fond of the characters and their relationship. Also, the writing or the way of describing what the characters feel is so clear that I It makes me feel like I am inside the story ... although the lack of physical contact is frustrating, it is a "good strategy" for you to keep reading and waiting for even the smallest romantic moment. The story is so pure that even when they are just holding hands is enough to excite me, Jesus

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Not much to talk about in regards to Adachi and Shimamura right now. Oh, unless you go check sneikkimies' github, you might find a little treat that hasn't yet been uploaded here.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Not much to talk about in regards to Adachi and Shimamura right now. Oh, unless you go check sneikkimies' github, you might find a little treat that hasn't yet been uploaded here.

Oh thx for the heads up Bean hadn't noticed, I'm not usually one for promotional mini stories since they're removed from the main story and you know most of the time just pointless but I'll take any AdaShima material lol.

last edited at Jan 1, 2021 10:29AM

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Hahaha right? The author does a great job conveying the feelings of happiness from both characters so much I get just as excited up as them, which is very rare now that I think about it, usually it's just the sad or hyped up events that can bring up such emotions but here just the act of Shima feeling happy about Adachi taking her hand, or that a confession is coming, or that someone can love her so much and how happy she feels from that gets me grinning like a fool lol.

It doesn't matter how silly of a face due to extreme happiness I need to see Shima acting spoiled and feeling happy about being loved by Adachi hehe.

Hahaha well the characters are portrayed in such detail that I get you, I read a lot of novels and manga but I just can't get over this one as well, I'm always making comparisons to this now while reading other Yuri's.

I do also want more physical contact and all but I dont think the author is using it as strategy to keep readers hooked lol, I mean both Adachi and Shima are still pretty awkward about the whole lesbian thing and just recently they've started to lust after each other's bodies, Adachi has wanted physical contact but till now it's been very pure, after what happened at the shared bath though I was expecting volume 9 to have them thinking about it more, hopefully from volume 10 onwards things to in that direction? The physical part of a relationship is a big part after all.

last edited at Jan 1, 2021 10:43AM

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Oh thx for the heads up Bean hadn't noticed, I'm not usually one for promotional mini stories since they're removed from the main story and you know most of the time just pointless but I'll take any AdaShima material lol.

In this case I feel like it could've just been slotted in one of the novels as another chapter set in the future since there already was one.

JustCallMeDaBoss
joined Mar 23, 2020

Woah, Otherside Picnic does really sound like something I'd enjoy. I'm really looking forward to the anime. And good to hear that yuri is picking up. Honestly, my biggest problem with light novels is the wait. I'm a patient person, but can't imagine waiting years or decades with one volume per year or two, where the progress is little to none (like in AdaShima, I'm lucky to be able to read all the nine volumes at once). But I think I'm definitely gonna buy Otherside Picnic, but not now, because I just ordered the first three volumes of Adashima, third volume of Saeki Sayaka, bought the whole Umineko VN, also Angels with Scaly Wings and the game Celeste. I really can't spend more money now. The second omnibus is coming out in August, so maybe in summer.

Currently I'm really behind with all my manga because I kind of dropped everything when I was playing Higurashi VN. So I have lot of catching up to do. But after that I am going to check it out.

For me it's not hard to pick Adachi and Shimamura as my favorite light novel because I read just very few of them. I kind of got into them this year. I read Female General and Eldest Princess and Clear and Muddy Loss of Love (which aren't LNs but whatever), read about 30 chapter of Roll Over And Die, but kind of lost my interest (was good but the romance(?) started being meh) and lastly, some years ago I read Nogi Wakaba wa Yuusha de Aru. So it's easy to pick Adashima. I usually don't like reading unless it's a physical book. But it kind of changed so now I definitely wanna read more light novels.
And I didn't hear about that manga, will have to check it out. I can't choose a favorite romance because I read lot of manga and have hard time picking favorites. Fruits Basket, Kaguya-sama or Akatsuki no Yona belong to my favorites, but I'm not sure to what extent are they considered to be romance. Now that I think about it, I considered myself to be a huge romance fan, but there isn't a single story in my favorites that got it's place for the romance. But maybe it's like that for everyone. I care more about the relationships in general than just the romantic ones. Like there is a manga Ani no Yome to Kurashiteimasu which I still can't tell whether it's a yuri bait or really a GL. But I kind of stopped caring and just hope the two girls can overcome their problems and lead a fulfilling life while supporting each other. However, there is also Hibike Euphonium with Kumiko and Reina, probably the biggest yuri bait ever. I'm still not over that one. I don't have a problem with Kumiko ending up with Shuuichi, but they made Kumiko and Reina so hella gay. Like you really can't just write it off as friends. I am a girl and have girl friends, but we are no way acting like them. Neither do the ones around me. I admit I am a little weird, but my friends, while they do get a little physical sometimes (like hug or something, though I don't know why) but never like those two. Attraction is literally written all over their faces. And I refuse to believe it's a cultural thing. So I'm kinda mad at KyoAni for making them so gay for nothing. But I still like the show and kinda ship the two.

EDIT: Also forgot to add, that Bloom into You is easily the best yuri, because honestly most of the yuri suck. I read a lot of them and enjoy them, but hardly any can reach the level Bloom Into You did. There was Fluttering Feelings (which is webtoon but whatever) but... that one was unfortunate. It still makes me sad, knowing what happened to the author. Anyway, it's quite rare to find a high quality yuri. And one without a rushed ending. (although rushed ending are becoming quite popular nowadays in general, or maybe I'm just unlucky)

I understand about the waiting problem, but you know so many light novels come out every week that I can't even keep up with what I'm reading as is, by the time I notice a new volume of a series I like has already come out lol, of course it's sad with especially great series like AdaShima and it hits harder when you've caught up but again there's tons of good stuff out there to fill up the time between releases.

Haha that's quite a lot of purchases, welp just do it when you have the cash gal, I'm just saying it's good.

Hehe VNs are always a giant time sink so I get you, there's like 10 chapters to that right? I know they're not that long but still geez you went all out.

Well there's a ton of good novels, it's a good medium to get into I'd say, lot more fleshed out then most anime and manga, just go read the AdaShima manga lol, I mean it's good but .... The anime actually did a pretty good job as well but they just can't capture the magic of the light novel and how deeply it portrays its characters, and that's the case for 90% of adaptations, be prepared to get a while new understanding of Sayaka, her inner monologues make her even more lovable when you know all that's going through her mind, and pitiful in a way that makes you want to protect her I guess .... It's a whole new experience to really get to see a characters thoughts and thought process, and that's why I love light novels.

Female general and muddy loss eh, those Chinese type novels can also be pretty good at times, there's tons of Yuri stuff from them as well, good starting point though that author loves angst, welp at least she's a fan of happy endings even if it takes a lot to get there.

Roll over and die is good but indeed theres really no romance for a long time, they're kind of just friends for a long time, I like the world, action and character interactions there though.

Haha fruits basket and akatsuki no yona, 2 very heavy shoujo esque series and then wham Kaguya-sama a silly romcom lol, haha I'm just surprised how different one is from the others, Kaguya is easily my favorite from there though, also in my top series.

Well most people can't get a grasp on their very favorite series it's understandable, I do cuz I'm weird I guess and like to constantly look for the best I guess or something lol, I definitely value romantic relationships though, well in a romance, I hate "romance" series were they just tease the relationship but nothing happens or they just have a lackluster confession at the very end, that particular series you mentioned pissed me off quite a bit cuz of all the baiting it does lol ani no yome, and it is just bait I hate it, though its a good manga, but the baiting just gets under my skin and makes me hate it lol, if there's not a hint of romance then yeah just good relationships are fine, but when they bait you like this ? Downright insulting, and I'm a huge fan of romance, to the point I don't really read that much stuff that doesn't have romance, I need it in there even if it's subtle.

Hibike is just Kyoani being Kyoani, they're the masters of Yuri bait, especially in Hibike they actually changed a couple of scenes from the light novel where where Kumiko says she might like the dude, they also removed a scene where she goes to him and a couple of scenes that hint she likes him, and they added more scenes between Kumiko and Reina, and also upped their sexual tension, why? Welp cuz it sells of course, again KyoAni is just a master when it comes to Yuri baiting that's why I kinda hate em lol.

So yeah you're not wrong, physical stuff between friends is normal you know the casual hug and stuff, but when there's sexual tension in there you can feel it, and KyoAni deliberately added that shit, again cuz it sells lol, if you think that's bad go and watch the Hibike Bluebird movie, the 2 girls there are portrayed so fucking gay like way above Kumiko and Reina and then at the end it just ends up in the air like they don't know what being a lesbian means, it's embarrassing how much they don't want to give a Yuri ending when they build it up so much .....

Don't worry I get it, I'm the same I don't have that many people to talk to about Yuri, it's nice bouncing off ideas like this.

Also imma have to have you take back that statement I love Yuri lol, I read a ton of manga and like half of that is just pure Yuri and most of what I've read is pretty damn good, or well maybe I just have trash taste .... Nah that couldn't be, indeed shame he died while writing such a good story, god could have at least waied till he finished ....

joined Dec 29, 2020

I understand about the waiting problem, but you know so many light novels come out every week that I can't even keep up with what I'm reading as is, by the time I notice a new volume of a series I like has already come out lol, of course it's sad with especially great series like AdaShima and it hits harder when you've caught up but again there's tons of good stuff out there to fill up the time between releases.

Haha that's quite a lot of purchases, welp just do it when you have the cash gal, I'm just saying it's good.

Hehe VNs are always a giant time sink so I get you, there's like 10 chapters to that right? I know they're not that long but still geez you went all out.

Well there's a ton of good novels, it's a good medium to get into I'd say, lot more fleshed out then most anime and manga, just go read the AdaShima manga lol, I mean it's good but .... The anime actually did a pretty good job as well but they just can't capture the magic of the light novel and how deeply it portrays its characters, and that's the case for 90% of adaptations, be prepared to get a while new understanding of Sayaka, her inner monologues make her even more lovable when you know all that's going through her mind, and pitiful in a way that makes you want to protect her I guess .... It's a whole new experience to really get to see a characters thoughts and thought process, and that's why I love light novels.

Female general and muddy loss eh, those Chinese type novels can also be pretty good at times, there's tons of Yuri stuff from them as well, good starting point though that author loves angst, welp at least she's a fan of happy endings even if it takes a lot to get there.

Roll over and die is good but indeed theres really no romance for a long time, they're kind of just friends for a long time, I like the world, action and character interactions there though.

Haha fruits basket and akatsuki no yona, 2 very heavy shoujo esque series and then wham Kaguya-sama a silly romcom lol, haha I'm just surprised how different one is from the others, Kaguya is easily my favorite from there though, also in my top series.

Well most people can't get a grasp on their very favorite series it's understandable, I do cuz I'm weird I guess and like to constantly look for the best I guess or something lol, I definitely value romantic relationships though, well in a romance, I hate "romance" series were they just tease the relationship but nothing happens or they just have a lackluster confession at the very end, that particular series you mentioned pissed me off quite a bit cuz of all the baiting it does lol ani no yome, and it is just bait I hate it, though its a good manga, but the baiting just gets under my skin and makes me hate it lol, if there's not a hint of romance then yeah just good relationships are fine, but when they bait you like this ? Downright insulting, and I'm a huge fan of romance, to the point I don't really read that much stuff that doesn't have romance, I need it in there even if it's subtle.

Hibike is just Kyoani being Kyoani, they're the masters of Yuri bait, especially in Hibike they actually changed a couple of scenes from the light novel where where Kumiko says she might like the dude, they also removed a scene where she goes to him and a couple of scenes that hint she likes him, and they added more scenes between Kumiko and Reina, and also upped their sexual tension, why? Welp cuz it sells of course, again KyoAni is just a master when it comes to Yuri baiting that's why I kinda hate em lol.

So yeah you're not wrong, physical stuff between friends is normal you know the casual hug and stuff, but when there's sexual tension in there you can feel it, and KyoAni deliberately added that shit, again cuz it sells lol, if you think that's bad go and watch the Hibike Bluebird movie, the 2 girls there are portrayed so fucking gay like way above Kumiko and Reina and then at the end it just ends up in the air like they don't know what being a lesbian means, it's embarrassing how much they don't want to give a Yuri ending when they build it up so much .....

Don't worry I get it, I'm the same I don't have that many people to talk to about Yuri, it's nice bouncing off ideas like this.

Also imma have to have you take back that statement I love Yuri lol, I read a ton of manga and like half of that is just pure Yuri and most of what I've read is pretty damn good, or well maybe I just have trash taste .... Nah that couldn't be, indeed shame he died while writing such a good story, god could have at least waied till he finished ....

Yes, the waiting isn't that bad when you have lot of other stuff to read. It's just that year or more is truly long. But on the other side, I'd rather wait than have the author rush the whole novel.

Higurashi has 8 chapters and while individually they aren't that long, but when you put the whole thing together it's long as hell. Definitely the longest visual novel I have read so far. And I read stuff like Clannad, Little Busters and Fruit of Grisaia. It took me month and one week to finish it. (but I also had school). But it was definitely worth it.

Funny thing, I found out about AdaShima through the manga. It was quite nice, then I found out about novel, wanted to read it, but after the first one gave up because, idk, couldn't feel any commitment towards a story I wasn't physically holding. After that there was anime and now I'm here lol Both the anime and manga are inferior to the light novel, but knowing that the manga is still ongoing makes the wait for the volume 10 less painful. And now I really want my Saeki Sayaka third volume to finally arrive. I mean, it's basically work of two yuri gods, so it's bound to be excellent.

They definitely were a long read but I enjoyed them. Back then I was really desperate to read some good yuri and I heard somewhere these two were great, so I went ahead to read them. And they also kind of cured my sickness of reading on my phone.

I really liked the setting it was also kinda creepy, but for some reason I didn't feel like reading anymore. Although, for some time I wanted to continue reading it, but didn't get there yet.

And yea, I enjoy different things. There is also Houseki no Kuni which I love but it's literally my greatest suffering. There is no story that crushed my soul so hard. And Kaguya is truly great, I love the comedy but also the focus on the characters. I'm usually not really into comedy but this one was so different, instantly fell in love with it. The anime adaptation is also great.

Yea, the baiting is quite terrible. Like they could just go all out. But no. Although I still hope AniYome can be a yuri. Just a faint hope.

I know it's KyoAni being KyoAni. And did you read the novel of Hibike Euphonium?

Yes, in Hibike the sexual tension was too big to ignore. At best it felt like Kumiko loved Shuichi but was sexually attracted to Reina. Poor boy, I don't know how would I feel if my girlfriend was lusting for her best friend. And I saw the Blue Bird movie, but just downright interpreted them as couple. I mean, we have stuff like Yuri on Ice, which isn't a BL, but one must be blind to write it off as friendship or whatever. So, yes, the girl for Blue Bird are cannon to me.

And yes, I have to take it back. Once I thought it trough, there are quite a few good and enjoyable yuri. I was just probably frustrated because recently many yuri ended disappointingly. They had a potential but were either rushed or felt unfinished.

PS: Also I read the Otherside Picnic manga, it was great, definitely gonna buy that novel. Feels good to have one more amazing yuri.

last edited at Jan 2, 2021 4:16PM

joined Dec 29, 2020

Also, can't someone just give Adachi and Shimamura a yuri manga? You know, just for some kind of inspiration. Nothing hardcore, but just so they can better understand what does 'dating' actually mean.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

I get that they must think the main audience for the Blu Ray release of the anime will be established fans who already read the novels, but I find it a weird move to put a story set in the future as an extra, imagine someone who only watched the anime suddenly skipping that far ahead.

But as someone who has read the novels, it's just delightful, I was hoping we'd get more chapters set in the future and this was a very nice one. It does feel like it should just have been a regular chapter like that other future one from volume 8 since it covers an important part of Adachi and Shimamura's relationship, in fact you could pretty much add it to volume 9 and it wouldn't feel out of place.

The one thing that somewhat bothers me is that it feels like the author is holding back from showing them being more intimate, though I understand he probably doesn't want to "spoil" things like their first kiss or more by just having them be a regular occurrence in the future chapters and thus make them feel less special when they will eventually happen in the present timeline.

To reply you must either login or sign up.