Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Edit: What if the author forgot what the orginal necklace looked like so she drew that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised, cuz they do look similar and well I doubt she'd go back and look at it.

That's what I've been saying all along--so many elements of this story leave readers trying to decide if something is:

• Intended to be meaningful
  • Not intended to be meaningful
  • An authorial fuckup

Remember the lengthy discussion of the status of the ice cream in grieving Kaoru's freezer after her mom died?

joined Aug 29, 2015

I'm not even a fan of this manga and I feel cheated lol.

"I pirated this shit and still feel ripped off."

True lol but imagined the reaction of those entitled assholes who got angry at Chaosteam for prioritizing Citrus over My Unrequited Love when they see this ending.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Lol is this chapter two different years? The first part is Uta in college and then it seems like another time skip after she graduates and works.
In the first part it seems like she has moved on, but then goes back to living with Kaoru.

I guess all three of them still live as a family in the end again, with Reiichi living next to them.
Is Uta dating Kaoru now? Personally to me it feels like they're still in a "family relationship" and not romantic, and Uta is content with that. I think the author realized it would be hard to have them date after all the building around Kaoru not being interested in Uta this way. So an open ending was the closest to a "happy ending". This was a bit anti climactic, although I think we needed more chapters to make a proper Uta moving on ending too. Therefore the only ending the author could have pulled given the situation.

The story developed some deep themes about unrequited love, but in the last two chapters it was rushed and we couldn't even have a satisfying ending regarding the theme of moving on to begin with. The author didn't have the guts to go full everyone has moved on but this is just life ending.

So theyre dating now and living Next door to her ex husband..what??? And we don’t get to actually see their relationship develop, how it got to this point. Just a “here you go lesbians, enjoy”. What a slap in the face. We get two time skips with no real back story and will probably get a couple twitter Extras.

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

So I guess it was axed as fck??

This freaking timeskip from university Uta to working Uta is a huge disappointment. All the crucial development should have been there... Can't believe a manga could end this irritating (( It's like watching 4 season series for a single lesbian kiss

Maybe Uta just dreamed about such an ending and nothing more? Maybe that's not even Kaoru - just some other similar looking girl? I'm gonna cry (

Please someone draw a wedding ring on Uta's finger.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 1:21PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Uta is wearing the necklace Kaoru gave her, they're together I think.

Seriously, that is not the same necklace.

I

That second necklace looks like a small lizard perched/hugging a ball rather than a half-moon.

Bubbles
joined Oct 1, 2020

I see, the title is 'My Unrequited Love', so it ended when it stopped being unrequited. It's not about them getting together, or how they passed from unrequited love to having a relationship. It's like a slice of life that instead of being wholesome it has drama. Reading unrequited love is probably the payoff in and of itself. Probably only for tMnR.

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

I hate timeskips. They are the worst thing the Universe can provide. You can timeskip if you fill the space with a small summary of what happened, it's okay. Just don't drop me into another world with a turn of a page. Reach the conclusion, finish everything that's been going on, wrap up the story. Then, sure. A nice epilogue like 'what happens in 5-20 years with the heroes of the story' is fine. I like that. Why do they have the need to do that in the middle? WHY? I hate timeskips. The are the single bad thing the Universe can provide.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I see, the title is 'My Unrequited Love', so it ended when it stopped being unrequited. It's not about them getting together, or how they passed from unrequited love to having a relationship. It's like a slice of life that instead of being wholesome it has drama. Reading unrequited love is probably the payoff in and of itself. Probably only for tMnR.

Right--there's this one weird trick that makes unrequited love turn into requited love.

We just don't get to know what it is.

Blanksmall
joined Nov 24, 2017

Right--there's this one weird trick that makes unrequited love turn into requited love.

We just don't get to know what it is.

Heavy, heavy drugs and lazy writing.

joined Jan 14, 2020

1). "I'm back."
Okay so I'm guessing Uta's visited Kaoru a couple of times? But she says she hasn't seen Kaoru in over a year now... I'm confused honestly.

Like everyone's been saying, two timeskips. "I haven't seen Kaoru" is Uta in college. The end is Uta coming home from work, after college.

Suggestion: Uta is living platonically with Kaoru, and is one of the customers of all those yuri brothels we've been seeing recently, to meet her physical needs. :D

That or she just grinds on Kaoru like a body pillow every night.

It will be funny if "Living with my brother's wife" gets a better ending than MUL.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 3:18PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It will be funny if "Living with my brother's wife" gets a better ending than MUL.

I don't think there's any doubt that, whatever the ending of "Brother's Wife" is, it will be light-years better than this one.

On a totally different note, I just realized the significance of that "I learned what it feels like to have someone like you" line:

It finally rounds out the "all the main characters have someone who likes them romantically that they don't love back" Unrequited Circle of Life.

Risako > Reiichi
Reiichi > Kaoru
Karou > Risako (& probably Uta--what can I say?--show me the evidence!)
Uta > Unknown presumably sentient entity in college

Zrzut%20ekranu%202023-01-10%20124218
joined May 23, 2017

worst ending ever.

joined Oct 20, 2020

or she just grinds on Kaoru like a body pillow every night.

That's far more likely, I think.

Rushed ending, how sad.

Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

it felt to me like a long ass train ride that took you nowhere

More like she has a Kaoru body pillow that she grinds on, since I doubt the real Kaoru wants to be touched by her :(

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

More like she has a Kaoru body pillow that she grinds on, since I doubt the real Kaoru wants to be touched by her :(

Uta probably shares the Kaoru body pillow with Risako

joined Feb 14, 2019

Blastaar posted:
As circamoore says, for recurrent-motif purposes it ought to be the same necklace, and readers are welcome to create headcanon saying that Kaoru has continued to make artisanal bling for what is now her little sweetie bedmate (or whatever the fuck we prefer to imagine).

But, as ever, we're left with the question of whether we're supposed make something of this detail or not, and if so, what.

KZA posted:
Edit: What if the author forgot what the orginal necklace looked like so she drew that. I honestly wouldn't be surprised, cuz they do look similar and well I doubt she'd go back and look at it.

The necklace makes so much sense, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets "fixed" for the volume release (even if it wasn't originally intended to be the same). Not only does it call back to the start of the story, it also shows Uta as having reached a point where she is comfortable "wearing" her feelings on the outside.

Unknown%20(1)
joined Jan 30, 2019

............What
That was so rushed and not satisfying at all. I expected it but still disappointed.

last edited at Oct 20, 2020 6:28PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The necklace makes so much sense, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets "fixed" for the volume release (even if it wasn't originally intended to be the same). Not only does it call back to the start of the story, it also shows Uta as having reached a point where she is comfortable "wearing" her feelings on the outside.

I've been saying all along that readers were working harder and paying closer attention to this story than the author was.

I really don't see the ending as a "lapse" on the part of the author--to me it's actually just more of the same.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

Quoting LadidaSong's comment:

Why even have this farce up until now then? They didn't even show Kaoru's face in the end, signifying her really being not important as a character. Ffs

CONSPIRACY THEORY:

Now that you've mentioned. and gathering up all the hints author has left for us, that is clearly not Kaoru, but either a Twin, a look-alike, or a doppelganger (strongly leaning towards that). There you have it, mystery solved and we can go back to our normal lives!

joined Jul 26, 2016

Now that you've mentioned. and gathering up all the hints author has left for us, that is clearly not Kaoru, but either a Twin, a look-alike, or a doppelganger (strongly leaning towards that). There you have it, mystery solved and we can go back to our normal lives!

Kaoru sus

joined Jul 8, 2020

wut? oh come on at least give us a kiss.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

wut? oh come on at least give us a kiss.

No kisses for you--not even a "her eyelashes are so long" or a "her skin is so soft."

Bereft likewise of a "why does my heart go doki-doki when I see her in her underwear?" shall you wander in the wilderness forever.

835d5ef1-d914-4ccd-bb77-8a716958e76f
joined Oct 7, 2016

That’s it???????

To reply you must either login or sign up.