Forum › Looking Up to Magical Girls discussion

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Whoa whoa whoa, I was not expecting it to go that far! This manga was great to begin with now I just love it even more

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 9:04PM

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

So I just did a big old re-read of everything, and there are some things I noticed that bear theorizing.

1:The Good and Evil mascots are probably working together. I have 2 major points for this theory. Back when Nero was first introduced we overhear Vena communicating with someone about the time being right to move forward. Unless there is some other party we haven't met yet, which seems unlikely the cast of this manga feels complete where it is, the only person that makes sense is the good guys, as this is the exact opposite of what Vena says to The Lord during the meeting. Second, and possibly more substantial, the barrier devices are made from both the heart and star, a fusion of both sides. This all feeds into my second theory.

2:The natural state of the "Good VS Evil" dynamic is supposed to be harmless. It's all just a fun game of cops and robbers. When an Evil Girl isn't around the monsters the Good Girls face seem to be laughably harmless. When Utena was just starting out Vena certainly pushed her to truly defeat the magical girls, but now that she's stronger, now that defeating the magical girls would probably be easy, he suddenly doesn't seem to care, Utena being true to herself is more important. It's a safe space for the girls to explore and learn about feelings society hasn't allowed them. But now Lord Enorme is about to break that system.

last edited at Aug 29, 2020 10:24PM

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

I find it adorable the way Nemo and Matama do a full reversal of their S&M dynamic when they actually do the deed with each other. Nemo completely melting into being Matama's sub was just perfect

Images__01
joined Nov 3, 2019

Gosh those two girls are such good friends! So glad Baiser was there to help them strengthen their deep and intense friendship ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

They've ascended Friendship, now they're Cousins

20200827_004119
joined Jan 3, 2017

holy shit, they canonically fuck, lol.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Actually, I think it didn't happen in "reality", but in an illusion created by Utena inside the box created by Alice.

Because at the end, they reappear fully clothed. So it all happened in their minds.

They got mindfucked :)

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Baiser not only ships but makes it happen, we must pray and leave offerings for her now on.

I wonder why Leopold's got no stars? What does it have to do with Venna-chan? I need to know what's up with Leopold god dammit!!!!!!

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Actually, I think it didn't happen in "reality", but in an illusion created by Utena inside the box created by Alice.

Because at the end, they reappear fully clothed. So it all happened in their minds.

They got mindfucked :)

That's just because no matter what happens to their costume, their normal clothes remain untouched.

Also, illusions like that would be a power neither Baisar or Nero have shown. No, more insidiously, Nero's power is that she forces those inside her doll house to adopt a "role". They could well have been mind controlled to do that, but the role they adopted was close enough to reality that they don't notice.

last edited at Aug 30, 2020 10:37AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Given all the wanton reality warping already going on here fixing their clothes afterwards would certainly seem positively trivial...

Tumblr_messaging_p85l43ndwo1urvydc_1280
joined Mar 15, 2017

im amused how basier saw these 2 noticed hey they real close and have a crush on eachother, then put her foot on the gas no fucks given and pushed them straight from crush phase all the way to kissing then kept going into having the sex thatd take like 20 chapters in most things but utena the legend did it in 1

joined Feb 1, 2017

Ok, I haven’t commented in ages but that chapter was freakin gold. The entire time I was telling myself, calm down, don’t raise your expectations, there’s no way they’ll actually f^ck without anything interrupting the process, but THEY BLOODY DID IT. OMIGOOOOOD THEY ACTUALLY DID IT URHGJFJFMVKV

Princess_2
joined Jul 26, 2020

You know, I'm still curious what became of the magical girls Lord and her group previously fought against. If they outright killed them or only beat them and took their magical emblems?

Setting that aside, how nice of Baiser to play out the role as a cupid for Loco Musica and Leberblume.

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

(Ch. 16) I knew this manga was something special, and it has transcended. This is the coolest fucking thing, i am so hype right now I feel like exploding, this is literally everything I’ve ever wanted. She’s using her BDSM powers to heal the girls through love and emotional/sexual release, opposite to that evil girl who just hurts them. Subjugation vs submission.

Also our girl has really grown throughout this manga. She’s like a good-aligned version of Sessyoin Kiara, if any of y’all knows CCC

So I just did a big old re-read of everything, and there are some things I noticed that bear theorizing.

I think this is really insightful and probably exactly it. I love that the new reveal of the plot taking this direction is revealing more of the conceit. Every new plot beat reframes the whole story, and it’s all both compelling and interesting. I think this is truly one of the best-written yuris I’ve encountered, it is so richly layered and the presentation is amazing, on top of the author having a really good understanding of BDSM, fantasy, and desire. I pity anybody that isn’t reading this month by month with the time to re-digest and understand the plot between every sitting, because I feel like that’s how this was designed.

I actually can’t wait for the next chapter to come out; between this, Introduction to Love Triangles, and Do You Want To Go Out Or..., it’s a wonderful time to be on Dynasty.

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

Ok. So... Where do I sign up for a magical girl villain role?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Personally I'm a bit skeptical that the third-party actual-villain-magical-girls were part of the concept from the start. They feel to me more like "it's going well, we can expand the story now" than "all according to keikaku". Not that I'm complaining; it's an interesting direction to take.

joined Nov 14, 2014

Wow Baiser is just amazing! Also poor Nemo! Well she got her heart's desire thanks to Baiser-chan!

Icon%20lily
joined Jan 20, 2015

Whoa whoa whoa, I was not expecting it to go that far! This manga was great to begin with now I just love it even more

At the rate we're going

Honestly wouldn't be suprised if Baiser really does form a harem of magical girls

last edited at Sep 7, 2020 9:04AM

Abbysmug
joined May 15, 2020

Wow this chapter is nuts

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

Something seems to be up, the chapter card says it's chapter 18 but this is chapter 17.

last edited at Oct 7, 2020 12:32AM

Mina_run
joined Apr 16, 2018

So Leopold is a three star now, probably to absolutely no one's surprise. But just where has this sudden boost of power come from? Is it A: An off screen training montage? B: The source of her power changed? Or C: She was a three star from the start hiding her power level?

A really needs no explaining so let's start with my second choice B, and ask ourselves, "Where do these powers really come from?" And I think the answer lies in one of the clear inspirations of this work, Madoka. When Lord threatens Loco for her failure she says she will, "Crush thy wishes." Everyone's powers seems to play into their deepest desires, Loco wants to sing and her powers are all sound based, Alice has a fucked up home life and her very first use of her powers is to play house, Baiser wants to revel in her sexuality. Rather than "accepting power in exchange for a wish", this is a reverse Madoka with "Gaining powers to fulfill wishes." Leopold wanted to be cute, and that's a rather shallow wish bringing forth shallow power. But perhaps her feelings for Baiser has brought about a new stronger wish?

But hey, that's all just speculation, and I'm much more interested in option C: She was always a three star. This sudden power reveal feels very similar to another sudden power reveal of a certain magical girl. A girl Leopold is a direct foil to, who seems to have been at the magical girl business longer than her peers. Back when those two met in the classroom I dealt like their abide jabs at each other was smoke screen for something else, like they already knew each other's secret identities but we're keeping quiet because of some unspoken agreement. So wouldn't it be interesting if Leopold has been at this magical girl business longer than she lets on, perhaps even once as a good guy?

last edited at Oct 7, 2020 12:57AM

Tragedian%202
joined Oct 1, 2020

So wouldn't it be interesting if Leopold has been at this magical girl business longer than she lets on, perhaps even once as a good guy?

"I was a mahou shoujo like you once. Then I took a dildo to the knee."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, so much for having no stars, they were just in a place not as easily visible as the others'. :D

Woof
joined Feb 8, 2013

can't imagine how awesome love hotel chapter would be ))

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"Let's go to a hotel!"
"Got it!

To reply you must either login or sign up.