Forum › A Girl Like A Pilgrim discussion

joined Aug 21, 2017

Oh lord, my lord...
Must be weird to worship a living, breathing God.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

You know, this is the first time i agree with an asshole character on a yuri series. Telling everyone about your devotion for a manga artist is kinda weird and a little bit gross. Once again, MC needs to chill the fuck out.

You can just tell that asshole doll-face would do something to Aiko's "bible" though. Not saying that i would cheer for the antagonist, but what Aiko told Mao about courage was a kind of a dick move and all the people that make that poor woman suffer deserves some of it too.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It just dawned on me. A series where a manga writer is worshipped as a god, is Nishio Shiori maybe getting a little full of herself?

How dare you commit such sacrilege? Forgive them, Nishio-sama!

Oh no! Maybe you're right what happens if Nishio-sama smites all of yuri fandom for my trespass .
How do you do penance to a manga author god anyway? Maybe I'll have to accidently trip and fall on 5 girls inadvertantly grabbing their boobs. Then somehow become the hero of a mech battle despite having zero training or experience.

last edited at Apr 12, 2020 3:08PM

41wofzlwvjl._sl500_ac_ss350_
joined Mar 15, 2020

The Office reference on ch05 credits page <3

last edited at Apr 12, 2020 12:51PM

joined Nov 30, 2011

It just dawned on me. A series where a manga writer is worshipped as a god, is Nishio Shiori maybe getting a little full of herself?

Oh no! Maybe you're right what happens if Nishio-sama smites all of yuri fandom for my trespass .
How do you do penance to a manga author god anyway? Maybe I'll have to accidently trip and fall on 5 girls inadvertantly grabbing their boobs. Then somehow become the hero of a mech battle despite having zero training or experience.

That only works for mostly hey romances/harems to be honest.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

That only works for mostly hey romances/harems to be honest.

Then I've got nothing.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

Must be weird to worship a god that actually exists

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

Aiko's blatant reverence is admittedly creepy, but I'm sure most people have had at least one person they've secretly idolized in a slightly more subtle version of what's shown here. It's not really clear yet where the story is heading. Of course with Aiko eventually finding out her beloved sensei is Mao, but how that'll be done and what the take home lesson will be I don't know. Is Aiko going to become disillusioned to some extent? Or will it be a case of transferred affection? Will Mao grow from this? All things I'm interested in finding out.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

can't wait for this to get darker

last edited at Jun 11, 2020 10:57PM

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

Aiko's blatant reverence is admittedly creepy, but I'm sure most people have had at least one person they've secretly idolized in a slightly more subtle version of what's shown here. It's not really clear yet where the story is heading. Of course with Aiko eventually finding out her beloved sensei is Mao, but how that'll be done and what the take home lesson will be I don't know. Is Aiko going to become disillusioned to some extent? Or will it be a case of transferred affection? Will Mao grow from this? All things I'm interested in finding out.

Same, I'm hoping Aiko eventually falls in love with Mao for who she is before she even finds out she's Shion and when she does find out they are the same person that she realizes she was idolizing her too much and learns to love normally

Herosandroiii
joined Jan 16, 2020

Spoiler for chapter 6: This bitch at Aiko's workplace has become a real annoying nuisance, seriously, I want to kill her...

Gpz_rio_1222
joined Nov 10, 2019

verbose

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Wow, that took awhile to read, also a lot of squinting

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Honestly ? I wouldn't even be surprised if it's MC who have caused the explosion.

Firefly Fanatic
9a98d8a7-869e-4e25-947d-59f469d10a1d
joined Feb 22, 2019

.....Wait, what? Is this going to need the Fantasy and Supernatural tags soon?

joined Apr 15, 2013

I always find this series pretty unsettling. Seems like it's just gonna burst at some point.

Webp.net-compress-image
joined Aug 15, 2020

Where are we headed?? hahaa

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Some of the dialogue in this sounds really unnatural, or maybe it is just the general wordiness? Oh and also where the heck is this buss headed and is it too late to get off?

Sulk
joined Jul 19, 2015

Doubt it, it's intentionally written as deifying and kind of a creepy obsession I think

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

I can only summarize this chapter with one word: TEXT.

SO MUCH TEXT IN THE BUBBLES, I can't even read properly. Also why the oh so formal speech? Some phrases were 20 words long but could have been written in 10 with a more informal way of speech.

joined Feb 15, 2013

oh i'm glad i was the only one who thought that

U436527_160x120
joined Dec 6, 2018

oh i'm glad i was the only one who thought that

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter. It was my first major assignment and I didn't do a very good job so I am so very sorry! The last thing I wanted was the work I did to distract from the story or translation! You all deserve better and I promise I will work hard to be better in the future! Gomen!
~~~ <^..^> ~~~ (Sad kitten face)

joined Nov 21, 2018

It seemed like it was a very literal translation too; a lot of the dialogue felt extremely formal and verbose.

joined Aug 16, 2015

I have to apologize for the terrible job I did editing and typesetting this chapter.

Like what was mentioned, the fault isn't all in the editing.
But if you want a few tips on the typesetting side of things, to make it an altogether better experience for the reader:
- Don't play with the font width (makes it harder to read, reduces the font quality), keep it to the normal ratio and be consistent with it;
- Be consistent with font size, don't change it every bubble just for the sake of filling up white space;
- Use different fonts for yells, SFX, titles, etc. (e.g. page 34).

Then again, the main issue I'm seeing here - and what has been mentioned by multiple people - is how horrendously verbose the translation is. One that caught me the most was page 31, second to last frame, third bubble, where you could have kept it to "She's off today, I'm the one on shift."
Try to make it less literal, get the meaning across while keeping it natural. You don't need to write a novel for each bubble.

last edited at Aug 31, 2020 11:12PM

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I feel bad saying this... But I'd take down the chapter and redo it. The biggest problem (besides the inconsistent fonts) is the sheer amount of text that doesn't need to be there. Part of the challenge of translating and then editing/typesetting manga is reducing the amount of text to fit the bubble. It's really hard because Japanese by its very nature compacts entire words into individual kanji. And words that are phonetic use one character per syllable (as opposed to Western languages that uses letters for consonants and vowels).

I'd give it a second attempt but this time keep the fonts exactly the same and reduce the words being used significantly. I really like this series so it'd be great to see it done properly. This is a great learning opportunity too! I wish I could help as I'm good with "less is more" writing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.