Forum › Posts by Hoky

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Hey question... I sometimes like to view the covers of series. At least, I used to. But now it appears they're grouped by two letters per page. If I try to go to the second page or beyond and switch to covers view, I get sent back to the first page no matter what. Which means I can't see the covers of anything past the first page (# and A).

I'm cool with limiting views to 2 letters per page so as not to load everything at once. But it'd be nice if the covers view mode worked with it. ;)

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I feel bad saying this... But I'd take down the chapter and redo it. The biggest problem (besides the inconsistent fonts) is the sheer amount of text that doesn't need to be there. Part of the challenge of translating and then editing/typesetting manga is reducing the amount of text to fit the bubble. It's really hard because Japanese by its very nature compacts entire words into individual kanji. And words that are phonetic use one character per syllable (as opposed to Western languages that uses letters for consonants and vowels).

I'd give it a second attempt but this time keep the fonts exactly the same and reduce the words being used significantly. I really like this series so it'd be great to see it done properly. This is a great learning opportunity too! I wish I could help as I'm good with "less is more" writing.

Hoky
Image Comments 13 May 02:38
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013
80813004_p0

^You've got a point there. ;)

last edited at May 13, 2020 2:40AM

Hoky
Image Comments 12 May 19:01
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013
80813004_p0

I think it's dragging. You might not think it's dragging. But I think it's dragging. And sorry if a number of people on Dynasty have a different opinion from yours. Oh wait, I'm not sorry. Never mind.

Hoky
Image Comments 12 May 00:12
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013
80813004_p0

Dear My Teacher (as much as I fucking HATE that title) is actually really good. I've reread it a bunch of times. This series however has been a bit disappointing. Not terrible. I'm entertained. But slow and not in a good way. You know what the plot is and how it's likely going to resolve so it'd make sense for this manga to just get to it already.

Hoky
Image Comments 08 Feb 15:58
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013
Meise12495_1221070102801436672

As much as I find her "emoji" face hilarious, I agree she looks better with actual eyes. I still wonder if she really knows what she wants to have happen with Tomoko, even if Tomoko did the stuff she did during the school trip. But I agree Ucchi was the star of the last chapter. I laughed so hard at the Kuroki Hot Spring. :D

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/notes_from_the_garden_of_lilies I go back to this all the time. It's one of my faves.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/alice_sherlock_the_rubious_nebula Really unique. Still waiting on the rest of it (may be discontinued)
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/an_absurd_relationship One of Takemiya Jin's best. I reread this one a lot.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/candy I reread this one a lot too.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/cirque_arachne I absolutely LOVE this one. So unique!
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/kimi_koi_limit I love this one and the 2 chapter spin-off from it.
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/lonely_wolf_lonely_sheep
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/octave One of the series that got me into yuri. I read this before finding out about Dynasty Reader!
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/sayonara_folklore
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/yukemuri_sanctuary

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Gotta love the Thought Police telling people what they can think and feel. In this one way, Netherlands and China are one and the same. You can't preserve freedom of expression without people being able to make things or say things that you might not like.

Hoky
Image Comments 19 Apr 22:29
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013
Noir04

FYI, the character artist for Noir was also the character artist for NGE. Just thought I'd throw that out there for ya.

last edited at Apr 19, 2019 10:30PM

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I find it hilarious Mikanuji just tossed away what was obviously a really stupid turn in the story. She needs to work on making believable conflict to challenge the relationship and build some depth into these two characters. I really like the characters a lot, even if it's been done before. I just wish the story itself was more structured, giving the relationship some more oomph.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Lame. That's all I can use to describe this... Well okay, other words like infantile and inane come to mind as well. But lame suits this one just fine.

Hoky
Image Comments 27 Jul 01:51
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013
Main

Anime is gonna be awesome! That looks really sweet!

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Okay. As a huge fan of Slimes, I must give this doujin it's due. And it's yuri to boot! My day has been made. :D

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I admit I scanned through this chapter really quickly to see if things would get better (Kousaka being led away in handcuffs). Nope. Just a slap, OMG I'M CLEAR ALL OF A SUDDEN, I LOVE YOU, and more sex. I think it's time I leave this one alone and read other stuff. It's just too painful (and stupid to boot). This author has her head shoved firmly up her ass. I like her artwork so it's a shame. :/

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I gotta say I really dug this one. Definitely one of the more mature stories out there and a realistic view of dating and relationships. While I do enjoy heavier drama and romances, this one-shot was a nice breath of fresh air. Very original and a fun read!

Hoky
Liberty discussion 23 May 01:48
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I will say this... the Liz in the high school uniform seemed more mature and level headed than the adult Liz.

Hoky
Liberty discussion 23 May 01:47
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I'm just hoping Liz is just nuts. Or there's something else that explains her behavior. I lost respect for her when she slapped Honjo. And yeah the "it was just for pretend" high school relationship trope is waaaaaaaaaaaay too weak to explain such childish and crazy behavior. I'm just hoping there's way more to this story that we haven't seen yet that adds depth and complexity to Liz's character which explains a lot of it. Otherwise this is a story that'll go pretty much nowhere. Especially if Honjo continues to act like the doormat she's being made out to be.

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I think there are a number of factors contributing to this feeling like rape, in addition to the girl being 13 and the adult being 30 something. Her behavior is... creepy to say the least. She doesn't appear to want anything to do with adults. I wonder if the author is aware of just how creepy she's made Kousaka-san. Also even if Jinno-san understood what was going on... In Japan she's not at the age of consent. It's rape any way you slice it.

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Engrish is Engrish. It's incorrect use of English grammar. Just because a bunch of Japanese (or other Asian countries') shows and other Japanese media use the same title doesn't make it any less wrong or any less grating to my eyes. I don't live in Asia. I live in an English speaking country. If I were to write stuff in Japanese and do it all wrong, I expect Japanese folks to look at it and have the same reaction I do to "Dear My Teacher". And no, I don't believe fixing that title's grammatical error makes it any different from the original title. If that doujin were picked up by a western publisher, chances are that title would get changed.

Also, I hope LilyBlack you're right. But based on what someone else posted in here earlier, I'm not getting my hopes up. The way the first page reintroduces the story (granted it would've been nice if that were translated too :P) kinda makes it look like your typical yuri manga overlooking obvious child abuse. I hope I'm wrong but... Yeah...

last edited at May 22, 2018 11:20PM

Hoky
Liberty discussion 22 May 22:52
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

I think it's interesting that Liz put on this whole shtick of mysterious mature beauty... Only to find out she's an immature childish brat. Obviously she's got a few screws loose treating the object of her affections that way. The question is... Will she be worth it? Will she grow into an actual adult? Is Honjou interested or up to the task of doing that for her? I think there's a potential for the story to get interesting, even if for now it's a bit frustrating. I really didn't like that 180 degree turn in Liz's character.

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Okay this is going exactly where I expected it to. And that's not a good thing. While I'm not shocked, I'm not going to hide my disappointment and disgust. There's no question that woman's a rapist. And this author is condoning this behavior as acceptable as a romantic relationship. I understand the draw of loli and age gap manga. While I'm not big on loli I've enjoyed various age gap stories like My Dear Teacher (I refuse to use the Engrish title). Such stories didn't involve watching a grown adult grooming a child and outright tossing her into bed and raping her. This one goes beyond the pale. Keep in mind, I'm cool with the story being here and being available for everyone to read. I'm sure there are some people who're enjoying it. But I'm thoroughly disgusted with it.

last edited at May 22, 2018 11:21PM

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Don't like it, don't read it.

I'll read it if I want to read it. And whether I like it or not isn't what this discussion is about (at least not entirely). I felt compelled to talk about this particular manga because it really disturbed me. Anyway, your smug reaction doesn't really add anything to this conversation.

last edited at May 19, 2018 2:56AM

Hoky
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

It's rape. Adult takes kid into bedroom and "has sex" with her isn't a romantic interlude. It's 5-20 years of prison where I live. While this story is disturbing to me... I don't think it's bad. Just... I think the adult in this story is a monster. A lot of pedophiles (ones who act on their feelings for young people) feel shame for their own behavior and yet are compelled to act on it. This woman really fits that profile. And it's disturbing. What I'd like to know is if this is intentional on the part of the author. Or if the author is going to turn this into a romance between rapist and victim. If the author does the latter, I'll be disgusted and disappointed. Because this behavior damages young people. I've seen it first hand. It's not pretty.

Hoky
Phyis has passed away 05 Apr 22:00
Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

This is tragic news. I'm sad to hear of this and give my deepest condolences to her wife and family. Her work will never be forgotten.

Slime
joined Aug 19, 2013

Oh come on dude do not be so rude, the translation was really good and very funny.

Not liking something and being honest about it isn't rude. And no, it wasn't either good or funny. It was painful to read.