Forum › Can't Defy the Lonely Girl discussion

Images
joined Apr 13, 2018

Ladies, gentlemen and whatever other genders you prefer.... WE GOT A WINGWOMAN

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

You know, the blackmail thing was not so cool, but Ayaka's obviously into it anyways and at this point I don't think it matters.

IRL, I would want to have a long talk with her about boundaries and knowing when to say "no", starting with the initial blackmail from the teacher, but in the context of a rather light hearted love comedy of sorts I don't think that's terribly relevant.

Guys, make sure to never read any "serious" fiction if this bothers you terribly because there is a lot more screwed up stuff in literature.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I mean, there's a reason I specifically pointed out that the whole blackmail idea of hers was bad regardless of her motivation, but the way I see it, long held feelings are still a far better reason than being a predator who would do this to any random girl she can get her hands on. Especially in a world where people are assumed straight by default, which in manga often tends to lead to the "let's just make this one memory" silliness (e.g. The Secret Recipe, which is actually surprisingly similar to this, now that I think, even if there's no explicit blackmail) as it's just immediately assumed you don't have a chance.

last edited at Jun 25, 2020 7:46AM

joined Mar 29, 2019

Gaaaaaaay

joined Apr 2, 2018

Chaotic Good energy

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

God DAMN I love this series!

joined Jun 25, 2020

That is the blackmail between the teacher and Ayaka (which is just as awful, but at least the teacher isn't a reccurent character) and it's not like she get it for lazing around, she's established as the top student and it would be pretty natural for her to get the recommendation without the blackmail.

The blackmail between Ayaka and Honda is that as long as she follow one request per day, she kept the fact that she got blackmailed for said recommandation letter for herself and go along with it. She basically blackmail her by using the action she got blackmailed into doing, now that I think about it.

Dunno, that's just my point of view, but if you put the people you like into such situation, I'm not sure what that say about you.

See the thing is the world isn't kind, nor are people, if you get into something that big, and get caught by someone, you're bound to have to pay some type of price for it, whether you're the victim or not, people don't care, learned that the hard way. You don't get into any school your finger picks by just working hard either, that's why recommendation letters are such a big deal, especially for someone like Ayaka, personally I don't think it would be fair for the other students that bust their ass off to get into the college they want, afterall i'm sure Ayaka isn't the only top student. lol I wonder if thinking that makes me a bad person?

Although I will agree, even if Honda does have somewhat good intentions, the whole situation is kinda weird if you actually look into it, I sorta get it if it's just a random classmate or whatever, but why would you blackmail the girl you love like that? but oh well, if that's the type of story Kashikaze wanted to go for than so be it.

It's not like she can only write one recommendation letter. People who does deserve it, top student should get them and "the world not being kind" doesn't make people who act like asshole, not asshole. I'm pretty sure if it was know that she was blackmailing her student for recommendation letter, she would be fired. The price you pay for recommendation letter, as you say, his hard work, good attitude in school, and great grades, not some strange weird favor that you get blackmailed into and that would probably throw out of the etablishement anyone involved.

I mean...I would take the opportunity, who wouldn't if the chance comes around? can't really blame Ayaka here I guess. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

It's not even blackmailing in the first place. Sakurai could have refused, and still can refuse. The only thing that would happen is that Honda wouldn't go to school anymore and their deal would be off.

Img_20190107_054630
joined Jan 26, 2019

It's not even blackmailing in the first place. Sakurai could have refused, and still can refuse. The only thing that would happen is that Honda wouldn't go to school anymore and their deal would be off.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cant_defy_the_lonely_girl_ch01#27

"I won't tell anyone and I'l even come to school but in return let me kiss you"
"As long as you do something like that, one request like that everyday"

How is that not blackmailing ?

And the fact that her secret is on the balance and that it would've really bad consequences is really clear to the MC too.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/cant_defy_the_lonely_girl_ch01#31

joined Jun 25, 2020

You know, I initially had written a lengthy reply to that, but now that I reread it, I think I'm wrong. I remembered it as her (Sakurai) talking herself into it, just assuming Honda would give it away without indication, but you can read the "don't worry I won't tell anyone" line as part of the requests: As long as she get those, she won't tell anyone.

last edited at Jun 26, 2020 8:57PM

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

So Chaotic helpers are the new trend?

I hope so. We need more supportive characters in yuri and not just the rival, or the "Sayaka", or worse, the asshole male.

I'm really a fan of the "older queer person who absolutely knows what's going on and wants to help the baby gays in their journey without being too intrusive" trope.

I want to see more of that.

Yeah I love that trope as well, e.g. in "Cotton Candy" it's done really well and wholesome hehe

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think this is another example of what has become a not uncommon trope in yuri stories: what might be called “fluffy blackmail.”

That is, the initial premise of the story involves something that technically is (and in real life would be) blackmail/coercion, but in the story the blackmailee quickly becomes an enthusiastic participant in whatever the blackmailer is “forcing” them to do, sometimes to the point where the “victim” even forgets that there was any coercion in the first place. (Morinaga Milk’s Secret of the Princess is a prime example of the latter.)

joined Jun 5, 2015

There’s always that one friend that figured you out before you do. Lol

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

LMAO THIS GIRL IS MVP GODDAMN. as long as she doesn't do any dumb horrid stuff ofc. BUT RIGHT NOW SHE'S INCREDIBLY LOL if she wants to know something she's direct and up front about it. Doesn't look like she has ill intentions either so far

joined May 6, 2020

And the fact that her secret is on the balance and that it would've really bad consequences is really clear to the MC too.

Okay let’s say this is blackmail. But is MC really worth the empathy for?

MC CAN ALWAYS REFUSE. She was doing things out of desperation but in the end it was her decision. She took this route, she wasn’t forced into helping a truant student get back on their feet. She wanted to get recommendation letter, thus bringing her back was the responsibility she gets. In the end the person went to school without any condition anyway but the person figured out she was being used. at this point the MC just wants to save herself from the dirt she made. She didn’t think through just apologizing for the things she did and talk her way out. She was ashamed that she did it for HERSELF. She was ashamed at her actions. So instead she just went with the fxcked up suggestion. One way or another it doesn’t seem like she hate it anyway(given the fact that we’re actually reading into her thoughts).

The teacher on the other hand could be the devil with temptations too, but there’s this logic that it not the devil’s fault, that people fall. it was the person who made the choice. In the end it’s all about decision. It wasn’t a rape who would be done randomly because the rapist is just a scum(in a sense it’s always the rapist fault because it was the rapist’s decision not the victim). it wasn’t a problem where her dignity would be in danger or her loved ones. In the end, if her dignity was really in trouble assuming people would hate her for what she did. It’s still something she did. It’s like exposing corrupt politician. But honestly I don’t think there’s something she should be ashamed of. If she only came in with clear intention and proper communication it wouldn’t be like this.

This kind of relationship probably leaves a bad taste on people’s mouth and that’s fine. But I just wanted to remind everyone that MC wasn’t really faultless. Either way, all of them decided upon this and the MC was in “bad” position in this situation. And since this was done light heartedly, It doesn’t seem like a danger type of relationship. Well they all one way or another needs to realize their faults though.

Knowing their thoughts and their situation made me fond of them. Though this last part is completely opinionated unlike my my first few paragraphs of trying to be objective as much as possible.

last edited at Jul 4, 2020 10:07AM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Okay let’s say this is blackmail. But is MC really worth the empathy for?

MC CAN ALWAYS REFUSE. She was doing things out of desperation but in the end it was her decision. She took this route, she wasn’t forced into helping a truant student get back on their feet. She wanted to get recommendation letter, thus bringing her back was the responsibility she gets. In the end the person went to school without any condition anyway but the person figured out she was being used. at this point the MC just wants to save herself from the dirt she made. She didn’t think through just apologizing for the things she did and talk her way out. She was ashamed that she did it for HERSELF. She was ashamed at her actions. So instead she just went with the fxcked up suggestion. One way or another it doesn’t seem like she hate it anyway(given the fact that we’re actually reading into her thoughts).

The teacher on the other hand could be the devil with temptations too, but there’s this logic that it not the devil’s fault, that people fall. it was the person who made the choice. In the end it’s all about decision. It wasn’t a rape who would be done randomly because the rapist is just a scum(in a sense it’s always the rapist fault because it was the rapist’s decision not the victim). it wasn’t a problem where her dignity would be in danger or her loved ones. In the end, if her dignity was really in trouble assuming people would hate her for what she did. It’s still something she did. It’s like exposing corrupt politician. But honestly I don’t think there’s something she should be ashamed of. If she only came in with clear intention and proper communication it wouldn’t be like this.

This kind of relationship probably leaves a bad taste on people’s mouth and that’s fine. But I just wanted to remind everyone that MC wasn’t really faultless. Either way, all of them decided upon this and the MC was in “bad” position in this situation. And since this was done light heartedly, It doesn’t seem like a danger type of relationship. Well they all one way or another needs to realize their faults though.

Knowing their thoughts and their situation made me fond of them. Though this last part is completely opinionated unlike my my first few paragraphs of trying to be objective as much as possible.

Holy victim blaming Batman.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS
I'M SO HAPPY HHHHHHHHHHHHH

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

AHHHH ITS HAPPENING!!

Yesss school festival, go girls, now is the time for your emotions!!

Anyways Sora is lucky Ayaka is a lil dense or she woulda known it all by now.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

AWWW MY FEELINGSS
That hug was so cute, OMG, I'm dying.
And Morinaga is the best wingman I have ever seen!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That Just a "request". is honestly a bit heartbreaking....

alexisomorphic
joined Nov 9, 2019

I think this is another example of what has become a not uncommon trope in yuri stories: what might be called “fluffy blackmail.”

That is, the initial premise of the story involves something that technically is (and in real life would be) blackmail/coercion, but in the story the blackmailee quickly becomes an enthusiastic participant in whatever the blackmailer is “forcing” them to do, sometimes to the point where the “victim” even forgets that there was any coercion in the first place. (Morinaga Milk’s Secret of the Princess is a prime example of the latter.)

The appeal of this to some wlw kind of makes me think of the appeal of force fem stuff to some trans women. When you have a bit of internalized homo/transphobia, a story about being forced into it can make you feel less guilty. Idk maybe a bit of a stretch. I can also see this kind of stuff being appealing to wlw who don't want to make the first move.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

That Just a "request". is honestly a bit heartbreaking....

Yeah, a bit.

That said though, Morinaga is probably one of the best wingwomen I've ever seen.

That hug was so cute, OMG, I'm dying.

And I see you've already changed you profile pic because of it.

last edited at Jul 27, 2020 5:02PM

Stretch%20full
joined Jun 13, 2012

I have mix feeling for chapter 13. I'm happy there's progress, but... No kissing scene! ╮(╯_╰)╭

P.S.: Morinaga-san seems to have some story to tell... I feel you, Morinaga-san, I've been there too.

last edited at Jul 27, 2020 5:30PM

TheDudeThatExists
Screenshot_20200407_211356
joined Feb 21, 2020

Morinaga is kind of becoming my favorite character in this manga lol. I really like the last few chapters very much.

joined Jun 12, 2019

thought she was jealous but she was just worried.. well maybe she’s a bit jealous Idk. They’re cute

To reply you must either login or sign up.