Forum › Shitsurakuen discussion

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

call forth the name of the great and powerful elder spell:
YURI MARRIAGE

Linterdiction
Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

Yeah, I think this story really is carried by its moment-to-moment quality and how you get invested in the drama and suffering of the characters. Couldn’t put it down, had a lot of fun.

As far as the wider implications of the plot—I felt like it could have told two equally good messages here: 1) about the solidarity of women and the ways we chose to live in and cope with a misogynistic society, with an uplifting message about our power to defend each other and to help each other escape abusive situations, or 2) a story about how misogyny harms everyone to some degree, and how working against it should be motivated by compassion and healing and not hatred. Unfortunately I feel like those got tangled in an irreconcilable way, and turned in to misogyny apologism, and the poise plot threads were tied together in a super sus way. Really sloppy story planning made interesting by the drama and character moments—really doesn’t feel like it was planned. I kinda liked it and kinda hated it. Very unusual.

joined May 25, 2019

Should I even read this I mean making everyone Yuri and turning them straight at the end is a SIN!
I mean really, God pukes on your grave and sends you straight to hell if you even think about including this so... FUCK THIS AUTHOR NO I WON'T!!!

joined Dec 26, 2015

I thought I knew what I was getting myself into after skimming the comments here, but I was completely wrong. This manga was so mangled and poorly executed, it felt like the author forgot what they had written because they had an ending planned and by the time they decided to go back to their ending, shit was already too far gone and starts reading like a justification for misogynistic abuse

All in all, I wished the author took their own advice and went on a different path than this poorly executed ending. I had emotions during the middle but the ending was so blegh, I would like my emotions back and my memory wiped

Ana_wolf
joined Jan 4, 2022

Okay, I managed to finish it. I started reading this a year ago I think and it was really rough to get through some sections because the abuse was just so much, but I'm in a better place now than I was then and found it a bit easier to get through. It helped to know that there had to be a happy ending waiting.

So initially what drew me to this was the similarity to Utena, and while the relationships in that were always very ambiguous (as was the ending), this story was much more overt about the affections and relationships between characters. I think we can ultimately chalk that up to the difference in time between the stories, the 90's were always a bit hit or miss with queer romance in manga and anime. What a different 10+ years makes! As I kept reading however I started to see it for what it was, a message and a metaphor for the modern era, that times change and people with them. You don't have to go with the flow of society or respect traditions that actively degrade or hurt others. Middle and High school is shitty time for most people and more often then not we make it worse for people by taking our frustrations out on them, but once we start to see that we're all just a little broken we can move forward and mend together. Tsuki was a very broken and lonely character, but Sora loved her immediatley and without question. Once she saw just how far Sora was willing to go for her, once Sora's feelings reached her, she could start to mend too.

All in all I'm glad I read this and I'll definitely be picking up the official releases!

joined Oct 8, 2018

The abusers are so easily forgiven. Victims fell in love with their abusers. Textbook Stockholm Syndrome’s. But many comments say the ending is good. They are forgiving. Like?????? Is it really ok? Not for me. Bad story. Wasted my time on this.

joined Mar 21, 2017

This got worse the further it got.

LilyScentedBubbleBath
Img_20200913_125333_706
joined Sep 15, 2020

I read this story last year and now I'm rereading it again. I can't really put it into words but there was always something about this story that had me wanting to read more and more. But no matter how much I enjoy the Beginning-Middle of the story the End ALWAYS irks me. My reaction compared to last year is a bit more tame but I can't get over the fact that some of they guys were forgiven so easily. It didn't make sense to me then and it still doesn't make that much sense now
.... everyone's happy tho- ig ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Laminatestasis
Blushy%20(1)
joined Jun 14, 2022

I read this story last year and now I'm rereading it again. I can't really put it into words but there was always something about this story that had me wanting to read more and more. But no matter how much I enjoy the Beginning-Middle of the story the End ALWAYS irks me. My reaction compared to last year is a bit more tame but I can't get over the fact that some of they guys were forgiven so easily. It didn't make sense to me then and it still doesn't make that much sense now
.... everyone's happy tho- ig ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I see what the Author was trying to do. The story to me feels like it's wanting to discuss how the concept of masculinity itself affects everyone and tears down not only the women it mistreats but the men who are forced to act a certain way to be accepted into society.

That being said I think the ending falls flat because everyone gets forgiven, and I don't think everyone should've been let off the hook so easily. Reiko and her partner makes some sense as he actively avoided harming her, so it at least wasn't as abusive a relationship (though obviously power dynamics fuck this up quite a bit, but if we're trying to accept the story the author wants to tell it's the one I can forgive the most) but for me the biggest blunder is Koharu's story.

There was never anything there but a use and control and it still sits so wrong with me that she sought him out. It makes no sense with her development as a character (not to mention she basically got turned into eye candy after awhile anyway as the other characters got developed).

All in all, I think it's a message worth discussing (Toxic masculinity ruins everyone it touches regardless of gender) but the ending didn't resolve everything in a very satisfactory way and just felt like it tried to wrap things up in a neat now, which doesn't really fit this topic.

Also I won't touch the "Let's let the old men that caused all this pain pass away happily and face no repercussions" with a 40 foot pole.

joined May 24, 2021

The abusers are so easily forgiven. Victims fell in love with their abusers. Textbook Stockholm Syndrome’s. But many comments say the ending is good. They are forgiving. Like?????? Is it really ok? Not for me. Bad story. Wasted my time on this.

Where?
At the end there's only one* girl (maybe two, but it's dubious) who shown to be in a probable relationship whit one of the boys (and is the least abusive of all). Koharu even says she is still in love withe Sora!
*(plus Hiyo' sister and Shiro, but they seems to be a thing from the beginning).

They are forgiven because they're not "just evil": they have their problem, they made mistakes, and they're also victim of a situation.
That's the whole point of the final part.

joined Jun 3, 2014

Here I am re-reading this 10 years later, why the fuck did my 13 year old brain even like this. I'm 7 chapters in and all we got is girls getting the shit beat out of them by psychopath guys. If this manga was more realistic then they'd show waves of girls committing suicide from the shit they gotta deal with.

To reply you must either login or sign up.