Forum › Wake Ari na Kanojo-tachi discussion

joined Jan 22, 2015

Ok, imagine you're that woman Kara, you're going to your work as any other day like the standard person you are, you see a girl on the street who looks hurt, you'll probably go see if she's ok right? but then the girl starts saying that she's a rArE mUtAtIoN oF vAmPiRe, and then you believe her...
...GIRL??? nO
Call an ambulance, she's probably crazy or just a really edgy teenager, no one would ever think she was telling the truth, but the character goes like "iS tHaT tRuE?" she says "yes" and then "Oh, ok fine"? I understand, she just woke up, probably a lil groggy, but believe, i wouldn't ask if that's true, i'd ask if she's ok.
The thing is: Is she actually telling the truth? Yes, she is. But before she proves it, she's just crazy for everyones' eyes.
It bothered me because it was just unrealistic. And if the character really is not the type that would freak out about that, it could at least show it for everyone to understand on page 1.

And then, and then the girl just- just fucking sMILES and she says "Oh I lOvE hEr" oh give me a break, if i wanted to see unrealistic things like that i'd watch Disney's golden era movies.

I understand that ppl likes stories like this, believe me, i'm one of those ppl, but... when it's at least a little realistic.
I'll come back in the future to check out and see if that character is actually just weird overall.
(I actually LOVE Neji's other stories, "Like a Snowfall in Spring" was just so beautiful and "Vacation Maou to Pet" was funny and had nice characters, but this one... idk)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yuri manga is not the best place to look for realism.

last edited at Jun 11, 2020 5:19PM

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

She got bitten and lost conscious. I think blood lose could make anyone more willing to believe that other girl is a vampire. Also according to spoilers she's a monster too, so that would make her quicker to believe as well. Ignoring the fact you're complaining about realism in manga with vampires...

last edited at Jun 11, 2020 5:30PM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Eh... That setup. It did move Sanic Fast. Love at first sight.... mkay, maybe the blood loss did affect personal judgment significantly.

Having fantasy themes =/= ditching realism. By this train of logic, any fictional work doesn't deserve critique because "oh, they are fake." If you want a story to keep the audience interested, it needs to follow some semblance of rules. Be it tropes, common sense, gravity, taboos, whatever. Though the main issues I have with Neji's works tends to be her overall pacing. The ridiculously convenient setup of a chuunibyou vampire in a hoodie, conveniently collapsed vampire found by prey, vampire-chan go "sowwwrryyyyy uwu", said prey's love at first sight. Lol what? The scene where the vampire sucks blood? That's a perfect place to explore all sorts of things. Do you want to depict it as a very sexual thing? Do you want to depict it as a terrible act of EVIL and the effect it has on the victim? How does this experience have an impact on the victim while she's being sucked? No, Neji's just gonna do a black screen with a uwu vampire apologizing instead. Because accidentally sucking someone to the point of anemia isn't actually a big deal at all. Huuuuuuuh? C'mon. You got a freaking vampire, surely you can do more than that.

joined Feb 24, 2019

As a fan of the other Neji works I have read I have high hopes for this one. Of course, more frequent updates for Beauty and the Beast Girl would be a dream come true.

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

NEJI STRIKES AGAIN. Bless Neji

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Eh... That setup. It did move Sanic Fast. Love at first sight.... mkay, maybe the blood loss did affect personal judgment significantly.

Having fantasy themes =/= ditching realism. By this train of logic, any fictional work doesn't deserve critique because "oh, they are fake." If you want a story to keep the audience interested, it needs to follow some semblance of rules. Be it tropes, common sense, gravity, taboos, whatever. Though the main issues I have with Neji's works tends to be her overall pacing. The ridiculously convenient setup of a chuunibyou vampire in a hoodie, conveniently collapsed vampire found by prey, vampire-chan go "sowwwrryyyyy uwu", said prey's love at first sight. Lol what? The scene where the vampire sucks blood? That's a perfect place to explore all sorts of things. Do you want to depict it as a very sexual thing? Do you want to depict it as a terrible act of EVIL and the effect it has on the victim? How does this experience have an impact on the victim while she's being sucked? No, Neji's just gonna do a black screen with a uwu vampire apologizing instead. Because accidentally sucking someone to the point of anemia isn't actually a big deal at all. Huuuuuuuh? C'mon. You got a freaking vampire, surely you can do more than that.

Chuunibyou vampire" based on what ? Convenient plot ? What ? Are you new to manga ? I feel like you're nitpicking a lot, don't force yourself to read if you don't like.

last edited at Jun 11, 2020 7:18PM

joined Feb 15, 2013

All hail Neji!

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

again vampire

joined May 30, 2020

Ok, imagine you're that woman Kara, you're going to your work as any other day like the standard person you are, you see a girl on the street who looks hurt, you'll probably go see if she's ok right? but then the girl starts saying that she's a rArE mUtAtIoN oF vAmPiRe, and then you believe her...
...GIRL??? nO
Call an ambulance, she's probably crazy or just a really edgy teenager, no one would ever think she was telling the truth, but the character goes like "iS tHaT tRuE?" she says "yes" and then "Oh, ok fine"? I understand, she just woke up, probably a lil groggy, but believe, i wouldn't ask if that's true, i'd ask if she's ok.
The thing is: Is she actually telling the truth? Yes, she is. But before she proves it, she's just crazy for everyones' eyes.
It bothered me because it was just unrealistic. And if the character really is not the type that would freak out about that, it could at least show it for everyone to understand on page 1.

And then, and then the girl just- just fucking sMILES and she says "Oh I lOvE hEr" oh give me a break, if i wanted to see unrealistic things like that i'd watch Disney's golden era movies.

I understand that ppl likes stories like this, believe me, i'm one of those ppl, but... when it's at least a little realistic.
I'll come back in the future to check out and see if that character is actually just weird overall.
(I actually LOVE Neji's other stories, "Like a Snowfall in Spring" was just so beautiful and "Vacation Maou to Pet" was funny and had nice characters, but this one... idk)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yuri manga is not the best place to look for realism.

Lmao true. You sound like you've never read manga with all that rambling. Not to mention this is a manga that has a Vampire.

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

So wait...let me get this straight, there's two different people in these comments that made lengthy posts and are upset that this isn't more realistic? A short cute little vampire romance that the author is making just for fun, I don't understand how such a simple cute little series that's entirely harmless warrants so much intense hatred from some people, but alrighty I guess.

joined Feb 24, 2019

I can't unsee 6 fingers on Vivi's hand on the last page of chapter 2.

joined Apr 16, 2020

Its neji yay

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Go little vampire girl
Go little vampire girl, woooo
Go little vampire girl
Go little vampire girl
Evil now, scary now, go little vampire girl
Evil now yeah, scary now yeah yeah
Evil now yeah yeah, scary now yeah yeah yeah

I get so intrigued when they look like a vampire girl

T%e1%ba%a3i%20xu%e1%bb%91ng
joined Mar 20, 2017

...GIRL??? nO

I don't know, if I got bitten in the neck and lost so much blood that I pass out then it is enough to convince me.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Why should manga get a free pass? It sounds like the sentiment any typical conservative parents who don't understand anything about what their children are watching. "Eh. It's just some dumb silly cartoons/weird Japanese shit/devil's music. In my generation, -yadayadayada-" What is this argument of "if you don't like it don't read it." Why shouldn't I examine any fictional work to find out how to make it work or not work? How dare people have opinions that are different from yours. If I want to articulate and make my point, I get labeled "those other types of people" or get called gasp, a nerd. Wowie. What does that serve? Does labeling me differently, a herectic, make you feel better? Hey, let's look down on another person because "aw, what a sad newb who must be new to manga." Does that lessen any point I made? No. You just sound like an ass who likes to pretend to be superior. If you need to try to setup the other party as "inferior" or "inexperienced," I can't help but think you got some weird complex going on.

I'm calling shenanigan when I see it. This type of attitude doesn't help with a healthy discussion of any types of work. This is still a forum, we're allowed to discuss why we like and don't like. I think it is of grave importance to examine anything we like and don't about a work. It's pointless to just sing praises all the time. It's also necessary to embrace and address the faults in any works. Criticisms are necessary. There seems to be this weird vibe of: "Criticisms are just some mean things meanie people say to made people feel bad." No, criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes. We shouldn't close ourselves off from what's perceived as negative just because it makes us feel bad. Constructive criticisms are necessary. Slander and pointless insult, now that's meaningless.

Vampire as a theme should give any author a lot of good things to work with. I find the bite scene, where in most other fictional works, is the really juicy and delicious bit where any author can really entice the reader with whatever they are going for. This certainly isn't the only vampire themed yuri work here: VAMPEERZ, quite a bit of Takano Saku's works (technically not tagged as vampire, but she has a thing for sucking on things,) Seifuku no Vampiress. I was certainly excited to see another work with vampire tag, but so far it just lacks that big punch. It was just such a wasted potential it hurts me.

To address the chuunibyou vampire, this one has a lot of personal experience colored by past works. Plopping a mysterious figure on a tall building overlooking the city, complete with The Hoodie, now finish it with some cryptic statements. OoOoh, how MYSTERIOUS! There are ways to setup that particular scene to be impactful, but it felt pretty silly in this instance. Turns out the character is a goof herself, so maybe that's warranted.

Yukari Yakumo
Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

Playing Darkest Dungeon
Absolutely MURDER the Viscount in Crimson Court
"Let us hope he enjoyed his last meal. Served cold, as it was."
sees this
going from eldritch horror vampires to yuri vampires... Sure why not

Captura
joined Feb 7, 2018

I could like this manga with less text.

joined Jan 14, 2020

"criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes."

I really doubt many mangaka are reading these forums for your pearls of critical wisdom.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Why should manga get a free pass? It sounds like the sentiment any typical conservative parents who don't understand anything about what their children are watching. "Eh. It's just some dumb silly cartoons/weird Japanese shit/devil's music. In my generation, -yadayadayada-" What is this argument of "if you don't like it don't read it." Why shouldn't I examine any fictional work to find out how to make it work or not work? How dare people have opinions that are different from yours. If I want to articulate and make my point, I get labeled "those other types of people" or get called gasp, a nerd. Wowie. What does that serve? Does labeling me differently, a herectic, make you feel better? Hey, let's look down on another person because "aw, what a sad newb who must be new to manga." Does that lessen any point I made? No. You just sound like an ass who likes to pretend to be superior. If you need to try to setup the other party as "inferior" or "inexperienced," I can't help but think you got some weird complex going on.

I'm calling shenanigan when I see it. This type of attitude doesn't help with a healthy discussion of any types of work. This is still a forum, we're allowed to discuss why we like and don't like. I think it is of grave importance to examine anything we like and don't about a work. It's pointless to just sing praises all the time. It's also necessary to embrace and address the faults in any works. Criticisms are necessary. There seems to be this weird vibe of: "Criticisms are just some mean things meanie people say to made people feel bad." No, criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes. We shouldn't close ourselves off from what's perceived as negative just because it makes us feel bad. Constructive criticisms are necessary. Slander and pointless insult, now that's meaningless.

Vampire as a theme should give any author a lot of good things to work with. I find the bite scene, where in most other fictional works, is the really juicy and delicious bit where any author can really entice the reader with whatever they are going for. This certainly isn't the only vampire themed yuri work here: VAMPEERZ, quite a bit of Takano Saku's works (technically not tagged as vampire, but she has a thing for sucking on things,) Seifuku no Vampiress. I was certainly excited to see another work with vampire tag, but so far it just lacks that big punch. It was just such a wasted potential it hurts me.

To address the chuunibyou vampire, this one has a lot of personal experience colored by past works. Plopping a mysterious figure on a tall building overlooking the city, complete with The Hoodie, now finish it with some cryptic statements. OoOoh, how MYSTERIOUS! There are ways to setup that particular scene to be impactful, but it felt pretty silly in this instance. Turns out the character is a goof herself, so maybe that's warranted.

You clearly overthink the manga. You wanted a focus on the vampire when it was never the matter for Neji. I feel like some peoples on the forum has a nasty habit to overthink and overanalys fluffy manga, i will take for example the Yamada and Kase-san thread. It's just Yuri between a monster girl and a human, that's it. I don't think Neji had any thought on focus that much on the vampire aspect.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Buddy there is this thing called genre. For example, I greatly enjoy hard scifi & fantasy. It's a sub-genre that prioritizes having realism in a setting that normally doesn't. This manga is clearly not supposed to be in that genre.

Also I have some constructive criticism for you: this is an internet fourm, learn to ignore people that disagree with you. If you don't you're going to spend a lot of time creating walls of text in an attempt to win unwinnable arguments, get even more upset when people still disagree, and evently get banned due to low key internet rage.

I've witnessed 3 perma-bans on this site, and would rather not see that happen to you. Remember, we are all just some idiots with a keyboard far away from you. You can ignore us.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

First of all, when people say "realism" what they actually mean is "believable". No manga, even the best written one, is actually "realistic". In fact you don't want any manga to be fully realistic, because it'd be boring to read. What you want is for setting and characters to be believable, so it won't break your willing suspension of disbelief and ruin your enjoyment from the story. So yes, arguing about realism in manga with vampires is silly.

Second, you're acting as if all authors had some kind of obligation or duty to explore themes of their settings etc. when in fact, they can write about whatever they feel like. Just because they got vampires in their story, doesn't mean they have to put any focus on them or whatever else you expect them to do. If they just want to write silly, lighthearted romance with monster girl, that's what they'll write about, which brings me to...

Third, when people say don't like it, don't read it, they don't mean you're not allowed to be critical about work. What they mean is that there's a clear difference between criticizing something and just not liking it. You're focusing too much on things you want the story to be about instead of what story actually is about. Commenting about execution etc. and things that are here could be interesting, but simply complaining about things that aren't here and you don't like it because of it, serves no one. After reading first chapter, you didn't like this story and that's fine, but then going to forum and saying how author should write completely different story to satisfy your expectation is not being critical.

And forth, you keep calling her chuunibyou as if half of the vampire stories didn't portray vampires as edgy and mysterious. I mean, someone who is chuunibyou pretends to be something they're not, having super powers, being different species etc. She's a freaking vampire. If anything, she has a free pass to act like that, because she actually is special. She's even specialer, because she's a rare breed. And just in case, complaining about her being a rare mutation as if it was something new or unique to this story to make her more "chuunibyou" (as if she came up with it herself and wasn't just born like that) when most of vampire stories are all about and full of unique or rare powers and bloodlines being like the most important aspect of vampires mythos. Also a vampire wearing a hoodie? Sunlight anyone? Well I don't think it affects her in this setting, but she could still be averse to it or direct sunlight could have negative effects on her. Or, idk, she just like to dress like that.

All in all, you're complaining about things that you personally simply don't like in this story.

last edited at Jun 12, 2020 1:02PM

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

Kinnikufan posted:

I can't unsee 6 fingers on Vivi's hand on the last page of chapter 2.

I think you're misinterpreting the creases on her palm as being a sixth finger.

joined Nov 14, 2013

Essentially this is a vampire with a major food allergy. In her case it seems she can only digest rare blood types (or something to that effect).

This is something real people have to deal with, I don't know why it wouldn't be different for vampires if they existed?

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Dang this is cute as hell, I like the lack of school girls

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

What are u on my person

To reply you must either login or sign up.