Forum › Semelparous discussion

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

Seeing as we know nothing about the other side other than the fact that it was at one point identical to our world but then ambiguously "diverged" into something else, it's entirely possible (even likely) that the invading Kaijuus are only one faction in it, or the soldiers of a leading class minority or some such.

Heck, they may very well be uncontrollable beasts even on the other side, and their invasion attempts are just instinctive directives that take over when they become Kaijuus. (Maybe they're trying to find their other-world counterparts to merge with or consume them?)

They're probably like hollows from Bleach, would be my guess. Spiritually empty "animals" who seek to find their earth counterpart to merge with and become "whole" again since the worlds were originally one and logically, they should have originally been one person. Whether or not they're made intentionally or are deployed/exploited to further an agenda is another matter for the plot to reveal later, but right now there's nothing really to go on to guess.

Also, calling it now; "Pure Blood" means someone without an other-world counterpart who is therefor free of any of the connotations that having one entails. Having no other world counterpart also implies that they (unlike everyone else) were uniquely not split up when the worlds split, meaning they would spiritually have both their own and the other world's "counterpart" portions of their spiritual body. Assuming the other world versions are like the Yin to earth's Yang that's why her energy is different from others'. Also she's what the Kaijuus are trying to become.

TheYuriReviewer
Profile_picture_by_theyurireviewer-d5lqbnw_(4)
joined Mar 24, 2013

This is A LOT like Astral Chain
Like very similar...especially the design of the inner wall
It’s almost like yuri Astral Chain

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

It is interesting that people keep bringing up so many different older stories this one draws from (Attack on Titan, World Trigger, Bleach, even Pacific Rim and Bokurano, and now Astral Chain), and yet this very number attests to the fact that this Semelparous is not a simple derivative work but a truly post-modernist one that deliberately invokes existing texts to create a new meaning. Gamma was exactly the same way, but its reference pool was an order of magnitude larger, drawing from entire genres (magical girl, super sentai, superhero comics). As an author, Ogino Jun fascinates me by seemingly combining a deep critical and analytical understanding of complex source material and a completely irreverent indulgence of physics-defying boobs and loli hentai.

last edited at Apr 26, 2020 3:53PM

joined Mar 8, 2016

^ lol. This is like, the fanciest, most roundabout way to say "Ogino Jun rips other stuff off and adds T&A."

Seriously, this isn't that deep. There's nothing complex or layered going on here. That's not a criticism, BTW - for every trend in art or culture there are innovators and imitators, and imitation of itself is not a failure. OJ isn't some savant artiste creating a masterpiece out of a broad swath of inspiration. He's a good mangaka who can spot a trend and who likes to draw tits. Appreciate it for what it is, there's no need to pretend this is high art.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

^ lol. This is like, the fanciest, most roundabout way to say "Ogino Jun rips other stuff off and adds T&A."

Seriously, this isn't that deep. There's nothing complex or layered going on here. That's not a criticism, BTW - for every trend in art or culture there are innovators and imitators, and imitation of itself is not a failure. OJ isn't some savant artiste creating a masterpiece out of a broad swath of inspiration. He's a good mangaka who can spot a trend and who likes to draw tits. Appreciate it for what it is, there's no need to pretend this is high art.

If you only sort creative works into high art and low-brow entertainment, then sure, OJ's manga clearly falls into the latter. I just happen to see a few more categories in-between, ones that can be intellectually engaging without "pretending it is high art". Clearly, the number of posts theorizing about the setting and the story above indicate that this manga is just that kind of geeky entertainment, but you are, of course, entitled to your own opinions on it. :-)

last edited at Apr 27, 2020 2:32AM

joined Mar 8, 2016

Sure, I never said it was a binary choice. But this isn't even "intellectually engaging." People debating the mechanics of the world doesn't mean it's complex or good; even shitty sci-fi can be a jumping off point for worldbuilding discussion and comparison. On the contrary, it's the fact that OJ only gave this the barest bones of setup that leaves it open to so much questioning - had he bothered to provide more details people wouldn't have to ask.

Saying stuff like "Semelparous is not a simple derivative work but a truly post-modernist one that deliberately invokes existing texts to create a new meaning" and "combining a deep critical and analytical understanding of complex source material and a completely irreverent indulgence" about a T&A manga is just frankly hilarious to me. I mean, what has he done so far?

1. Set up a derivative framework where there's a featureless extranormal battle space for fighting generic monsters with literal physical walls dividing it somehow from our space and actual doorways leading into it.

2. Showed a lot of bloody fights where girls with massive tits kill stuff.

3. Provided not one but BOTH of them with the "dead loved one" motivation and "preternaturally talented" characteristic.

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't have entertainment value but waxing about its "truly postmodern" qualities is ridiculous to me. But as you say, just my opinion.

joined Apr 28, 2019

I was looking forward to this, but why they gotta make the tiddies that big ._.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Pretending that the above comment doesn't exist, I wonder if now that we're at vol 2 people will keep complaining about the boobs in hopes that anything will change at this point, I'm not saying is bad to voice our opinions, is just that I don't know what to do or what to say about those comments at this point beyonf "ok" or "yeah".

Ok I just caught up with this, I have a method that could work, IN THE CASE that the moment these kaijuus make a connection to the astral bodies from both sides, if the person presents an abnormal behavior because of this, it would be more efficient to kill the person in the real world instead of for example, losing 10 or 20 capable fighters against a difficult foe.

Of course, if the person doesn't feel anything at all when a biomechanical monster from another dimension makes a connection to their spirit, then this method is impossible... and I know I know... killing innocent people = bad >:( but hey, I'm just talking about efficiency.

Well, this is just a crazy talk, if they haven't done this already considering what's in stake, I guess it's not possible.

Fb_img_1554123071250
joined Mar 2, 2020

Gay panic has arrived

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Semelparous leyendo esto jajajajaj

last edited at May 18, 2020 10:10PM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Hang out scene with friends
"Nah the chance of people dying around you is pretty low"

Let's just nail that death flag in extra deep shall we? We are going to need the King Arthur equivalent to pull this sucker out.

joined Mar 8, 2019

I smell a tragedy in the making... hopefully I’m wrong and the ending will be the mains scissoring each other on a beach as the sun sets.

joined Feb 24, 2019

Not gonna lie, when the one friend got up to get their food I was fully expecting her to fall dead before making it back. I refuse to get attached to any of these characters at this point for my own sake.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Yup, lots of heavy foreshadowing in the latest chapter... My current prediction: the kaiju of the next mission is linked to one of the girls Yorino hanged out with this chapter (which is one of the two is still up in the air, tho), and her rival/admirer will probs be the one to deliver the final blow. The next mission will be against a humanoid kaiju, and either the rival girl or her partner will sacrifice herself to let the mains kill it. A much less likely, but even more messed up idea is that the humanoid kaiju will be linked to the other girl from this chapter, hell-bent on metaphysical revenge.

last edited at May 19, 2020 4:34AM

joined May 20, 2013

I only see death flags, too. Good work making it feel like a miracle if someone doesn't die.

last edited at May 19, 2020 4:57AM

KangaNoodles
_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

First small type next chapter, I'm down for more kaijuu fighting. I also see people still trying to adjust to the big tiddies..... Just give it some time... maybe try balance it out with some butt stuff and try read some Keijo!!!!!!!

joined Oct 14, 2012

You know. It seems to me that the info about the different types of kaiju is something you want to teach the candidates while still training, not the "Oh hey welcome to your first day at the job, BTW here is the info of tougher enemies that you didn't train for.".
Unless they are deliberately withholding the info. Which seems overly dangerous for your soldiers.

carlosraruto
Unnamed
joined Jul 23, 2017

Thank goodnes Im not the only one fearing everyone is going to die at any second.

hausenmaster
Kidsbeingkidscats2
joined Jan 19, 2015

I for one like the boobs.

Z7geahm
joined Sep 7, 2016

the boobs are ridiculously huge but I don't mind since the story is good and I like the characters

Sleepyfrogwaifutiny
joined Sep 25, 2019

And here comes the Gilian, Adjuchas and Vasto Lorde classifications only with less creative names.

That being said, I'm enjoying this a bunch so far. Don't mind the boobs at all. Kinda don't feel like there's a status quo tho, the whole story so far seems kinda aimless and unfocused.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

And here comes the Gilian, Adjuchas and Vasto Lorde classifications only with less creative names.

That being said, I'm enjoying this a bunch so far. Don't mind the boobs at all. Kinda don't feel like there's a status quo tho, the whole story so far seems kinda aimless and unfocused.

Espadas when ?

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

The world of big boobs is a dangerous place.

joined Jun 12, 2019

Im always scared any of them will die ugh

To reply you must either login or sign up.