Forum › Anime season

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I was more thinking along the lines of an OVA or something.Ain't gonna get more than that even if there were 5 volumes. It's not a kirara manga.

1) OVAs are barely a thing anymore; the few that aren't continuations of a TV series are mostly test bubbles for a TV series. 2) Citrus and WataTen got full series. Yuri Hime is perfectly willing to invest a bit when they have a hit on their hands

Kase-san would disagree.

Yeah that's the problem... Citrus and Wataten are insanely popular, whether you believe they are high quality or not. Pocha Climb is clearly a more niche series... even among yuri which is already niche. Unless its a flagship like YagaKimi or Ctirus you shouldn't get your hopes up for a TV series. Or they pick dumpster fires that will at least stir a big reaction like Netsuzou Trap or Happy Sugar Life.

last edited at Apr 25, 2020 6:10AM

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

I was more thinking along the lines of an OVA or something.Ain't gonna get more than that even if there were 5 volumes. It's not a kirara manga.

1) OVAs are barely a thing anymore; the few that aren't continuations of a TV series are mostly test bubbles for a TV series. 2) Citrus and WataTen got full series. Yuri Hime is perfectly willing to invest a bit when they have a hit on their hands

Don't forget Yuru yuri with its 3 seasons. While OVAs are rare, they do happen from time to time. Kase-san and flag time come to mind.

Speaking of flag, seems the BD is coming out next month.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Those are great news, I was really worried about Fragtime

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Been a while since last time I did this so I hope I can express my feelings properly. And well, there's like 3 ppl on here that care about yugioh.

I watched YGO Sevens, it is a very weird show. It definitely doesn't feel like the other seasons, ok maybe early Zexal minus the annoying friends. *5 episodes in, its on hiatus rn thanks to covid.

New mechanics first! Rush duels...I kinda like them, definitely more unique than speed duels or random gimmicks. But I can't just ignore Konamis blatant attempt to make more ¥¥¥¥ by releasing new shiny cards you can't play with the old ones...I guess it's better than destroying a bunch of decks like when links and pendulums came out.

Story is...not there yet. Theres not even the usual hook! Just some shady people and just some usual king of games thing, barely anything. It really feels like kids show. Children's card game is canon now.
The characters are significantly younger than the usual cast. They are adorable! Which is very different. YMMV

The animations are...decent? Definitely not as detailed and beautiful as the usual. And I can't talk about the animations without at least mentioning Konami ditching the studio that has animated this thing for so many years.

Soundtrack....uh I didn't even pay attention to it. I guess it's serviceable.

TL;DR It's ok, it's a sorta reboot. There's potential.

Yuri? Nah. Then again Arc-v did randomly hit us with yuri scenes lol

last edited at May 7, 2020 7:29AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Yuri? Nah. Then again Arc-v did randomly hit us with yuri scenes lol

Is it a pun on the character named Yuri or there is really Yuri scenes ?

last edited at May 6, 2020 8:41AM

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

^ yes.
Actual answer: Yuzu v Masumi rematch was basically a yuri romance episode. Yuzu and Serena were very touchy feely when they were on screen together. Oh and she also "admired" Asukas body once. Not much, but it was very blatant. That's all I remember rn, Arc-v was very rushed after all

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

^ That has been the longest actually enjoyable 105 seconds I've had.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

YarnGirl posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-05-08/adachi-to-shimamura-tv-anime-2nd-promo-video-reveals-october-premiere/.159359

The date was announced and I hope it won't be delayed

I don't wantto watch it, I'm already 120% going to watch it haha

rederoin posted:

https://twitter.com/VLADLOVE_ANIME/status/1258701090100375552?s=20

well... fuck

Indeed, fornication :/
Well, we just have to wait

What are YOU all re-watching in this dire times? I'm watching K-on!! and of course one of the mains reasons is because RitsuMio but what I missed the first time is how soothing and sublime Honoka's voice was, every time she speaks I feel an immense calm and warm in my heart, like when she ends her phrases in deshoO or waA is like she goes low and then high almost like a rhythm, I can't get enough.

And now in season 2 she even has lunch with the group all together, this is the best.

The first time I saw K-on, I wasn't ready to cry and I did, but this time I'll be ready....and I'll cry again surely hahaha

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

What are YOU all re-watching in this dire times?

I'm watching Bakarina only(and I might drop it Idk). I only watch anime that has Yuri. I used to watch the whole season back in the days, but now only Yuri what makes Anime worthwhile for me.

last edited at May 10, 2020 10:09AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

You don't need yuri all the time, just look for non romance comedies or dedicated to one goal.

I'm enjoying Princess connect waaaaaay more than I thought and they made it possible with wholesome stuff, nice comedy, nice animation and if you're worried about the male lead you'll find that he's different to anyone else... Is like, he's half background and half protagonist somehow.

I hope Kyaru and Peco end up becoming (((friends)))

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

I have to say, about Bakarina, that it's awesome just for existing.

The bi-harem thing can be looked at as a gimmick, but on a deeper level, it shows where we are now as a society, where Japan is now, and how we've crossed into new territory. Shows like BakaTest made jokes in that direction, but Hideyoshi was attractive because he was feminine. Bakarina is a silly light harem in form, but the fact that it so nonchalantly does what it does is what is great. The characters all having a crush on Caterina isn't some serious thing or a secret, it's just a sort of trivial fact of the series.

When same-sex love is something that either exists as serious business for a token character, or when it's part of a world where men don't exist, it's one thing, but when it's trivially normal, that's cool. Especially when it's not played off as friendship, the series is an unabashed harem and just goes all out in that direction.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Very true!! In fact, more and more protagonist x villain novels and manga are popping up as of late because of the boom with bakarina.
I hope is not just a trend but the begining, a fresh start

last edited at May 10, 2020 6:45PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Very true!! In fact, more and more protagonist x villain novels and manga are popping up as of late because of the boom with bakarina.
I hope is not just a trend but the begining, a fresh start

Because it's just another genre of Isekais. Publics might become tired of fantasy isekai and so the publishers start to go on the otome isekai bandwagon.

joined Jan 7, 2018

You don't need yuri all the time, just look for non romance comedies or dedicated to one goal.

Sometimes if there isn't Yuri some comedies like Konosuba, Asobi Asobase and Aho Girl or unique thrilling Anime like Yakusoku no Neverland and Re:Zero do the trick for me, but those kinds of shows that suit to my tastes are really rare. I even dropped Attack on Titan even though I was a hardcore fan of it. I think that I've reached that stage where you "grow out of Anime", but my biggest regret is that I haven't started learning Japanese until recently because I would've achieved much more if I had been watching Anime.

last edited at May 10, 2020 9:34PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think that I've reached that stage where you "grow out of Anime"

That of course doesn't actually exist. Much like every other media or hobby you supposedly "grow out of" it's just a misunderstanding. Oversaturation makes the brain feel less intrigued by something and in cases of things like cartoons and I dunno... toys(?) society tells you it's for children and therefore you associate you waning interest with "growing up". Interests do shift, but it becomes more and more obvious these days that becoming an adult has zero influence on what media you enjoy. There are cartooons and anime for adults, there are grown men who still collect tabletop figures and play games with other adults etc etc.

Perhaps you will take a break and return to it later. Perhaps you just need a different kind of stimulation. But either way you don't grow out of it. You will surely enjoy things that others would consider out of your age range all the time (in both directions really).

Actual children's shows for toddlers just don't provide any stimulation for developed brains (beyond maybe nostalgia), but in case of things that are as varied as anime it just doesn't apply.

last edited at May 11, 2020 2:19AM

joined Jan 7, 2018

I think that I've reached that stage where you "grow out of Anime"

That of course doesn't actually exist. Much like every other media or hobby you supposedly "grow out of" it's just a misunderstanding. Oversaturation makes the brain feel less intrigued by something and in cases of things like cartoons and I dunno... toys(?) society tells you it's for children and therefore you associate you waning interest with "growing up". Interests do shift, but it becomes more and more obvious these days that becoming an adult has zero influence on what media you enjoy. There are cartooons and anime for adults, there are grown men who still collect tabletop figures and play games with other adults etc etc.

Perhaps you will take a break and return to it later. Perhaps you just need a different kind of stimulation. But either way you don't grow out of it. You will surely enjoy things that others would consider out of your age range all the time (in both directions really).

Actual children's shows for toddlers just don't provide any stimulation for developed brains (beyond maybe nostalgia), but in case of things that are as varied as anime it just doesn't apply.

Oh gosh, I think I used the worst verb to express that "Anime doesn't interest me anymore". English isn't my first language and I read in the dictionary that "to grow out of something" means "to stop having an interest in something or stop doing something as you become older", except that my brain didn't notice "as you become older" at the end of the definition, so I just thought of it as a second expression for "to give up something". I'm one of the firm believers who believe that Anime isn't a hobby for kids only and isn't something you just "grow out of", as I had introduced Anime to many of my adult friends and they got into it without any concern of it being for kids, and as for my case, it's true that my enjoyment of Anime has waned, but it's not due to me growing up. Sorry for my bad choice of words ^-^

Edit: Anyway, I think that there are other people who reach a stage where they do believe that Anime is for kids, and that makes it a reason for them to give it up. There are many reasons someone might give up a hobby. It might be due to them being busy at work or with their studies so they just forget all about it as they don't even have the time for it, or in my case, only specific genres keep me hooked to Anime, and when there aren't many Anime with those specific genres, it results in me giving it up all together, or like I just said, some people do feel embarassed if others knew they watch Anime and thus, in their case, they do "grow out of Anime" because they do believe that Anime is for kids, but I agree with you that it's wrong for someone to think like that.

last edited at May 11, 2020 5:01AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

@DC3
The foibles of international discourse, eh? I'm sorry for jumping the gun when you meant something entirely else.
Yeah it's not your fault for losing interest in something that doesn't provide enough stimulation. You'll surely find it somewhere else. I just never liked the expression "give up on it" like the entire media is somehow lacking... I watch less anime than I did a few years ago, but if a good one comes around I'll watch it. I don't care if it's anime, cartoons, live action series or theatric plays, if there is something good I'll enjoy it, whether I usually interact with that medium or not.

joined Jan 7, 2018

@BugDevil no worries my friend. It was my fault for using the wrong expression in the first place, and yeah, I haven't quit Anime yet as I'm still waiting for that Adachi to Shimamura adaptation xD

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Not re watching anything. Just watching the stuff I didn't feel like watching thanks to my...condition.

YGO Vrains then Jet girls, hope they're worth the time lol

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

I've been watching Gintama. At this point in time I'm up to episode 39. I've yet to find any episodes that I outright didn't like, the episodes up to this point have been ranging from ok to great. So far my favorite characters are Shinpachi, Gintoki, Katsura and Hijikata (the majority of the Shinsengumi are among my favorites actually) as well as Kagura who's starting to grow on me. I heard that casually mentioned things that seem small at first will come into play later on down the line so I've been taking notes whenever a new faction or detail about the world is introduced.

Also it's funny that Serenata talks about K-ON because that's actually the anime I watched (for the first time) right before Gintama. Season 2 ep 20 was beautiful.

last edited at May 11, 2020 10:33AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I've been watching Gintama. At this point in time I'm up to episode 39. I've yet to find any episodes that I outright didn't like, the episodes up to this point have been ranging from ok to great. So far my favorite characters are Shinpachi, Gintoki, Katsura and Hijikata (the majority of the Shinsengumi are among my favorites actually) as well as Kagura who's starting to grow on me. I heard that casually mentioned things that seem small at first will come into play later on down the line so I've been taking notes whenever a new faction or detail about the world is introduced.

Gintama is the best comedy anime out there to be honest. And it also has some serious arcs with cool fights on top of it. There are even points where you can really get emotional. It's the perfect mix.
The first 30 or some episodes are actually the weakest part of the entire anime. After that stuff only gets better each arc. That's why people often talk about a very big entry barrier for this one.

Hijikata is also one of my favorites. Just wait until you meet Kyubei, Tsukuyo and the Shogun though lol

last edited at May 11, 2020 10:46AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Vladlove key visual looks neeeat

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Gintama is the best comedy anime out there to be honest. And it also has some serious arcs with cool fights on top of it. There are even points where you can really get emotional. It's the perfect mix.
The first 30 or some episodes are actually the weakest part of the entire anime. After that stuff only gets better each arc. That's why people often talk about a very big entry barrier for this one.

Hijikata is also one of my favorites. Just wait until you meet Kyubei, Tsukuyo and the Shogun though lol

Well I'll admit that I haven't laughed as much as I wish I had. While (so far) there were definitely stand out episodes where I've burst out laughing, most of them never really got more then chuckle out of me. This is probably because the references were going over my head and dialog based humor isn't really my thing. It's always the jokes that rely on comedic timing that get me the most and the episodes I consider to be funniest (Katsura's introduction episode, the panty thief episode and the ghost bug episode) utilize this the most.

Also I am very hyped (and a bit scared) about the serious arcs. In fact my main reason for starting this show was the critical acclaim the final two arcs of season 4 got.

To reply you must either login or sign up.