Forum › Don't Call It Yuri Fanservice! discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I think the combination of both tags works, for me. I was a bit confused by polyamory alone, because I went in expecting - well, more than one point of contact between the four of them. But harem by itself just reads like a genre convention, and not a description of an actual non-monogamous relationship. Having both of them is more descriptive, to me, but then...

I don't know, is it a necessary distinction? Is this what people want if they go searching for a harem manga? Do people need to know what the specific vectors are in this unambiguously polyamorous relationship are, before they even read it? Hmm. I could see an argument for harem either way.

The manga was cute, anyway.

There are RL poly relationships where some participants are not dating each other. I should know, I've been in one.

The simplest version of this is a V shape, where two people are dating the same person, and are totally aware of and fine with each other. And very likely are on friendly terms. But it can get more complicated than that. Poly doesn't have to mean "everyone with everyone".

To me, harem has a lot more to do with presentation, and usually in manga it's several people competing to be in a monogamous relationship with the central person. They're competing, not collaborating.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

This is basically Hololive vtubers irl

Doctoraaaaaa
joined Apr 14, 2015

I'm glad with the increase in poly content lately.
I also found the two tags together odd cause they contracdict each other in my head, but I guess it was just to indicate a all for one kinda relationship.
Cute manga tho.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The idea that a harem is about competition for a single pair relationship is just a cliche based on how many romcoms end up. It's not at all what a harem is actually supposed to be. Whether you go by the origin of the term with a Sultan's many concubines or not, there are countless harem stories where the protagonist is actually in a relationship with the girls (or guys in reverse harem). A real harem would be polyamory by default, but it doesn't change the fact that the term is far more precise to describe the constellation, so that's why it's used.

This is basically Hololive vtubers irl

I wish lol

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 2:43PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

It need not be complete, only non-bipartite.

joined Aug 11, 2014

There are RL poly relationships where some participants are not dating each other. I should know, I've been in one.

Well, certainly. I have not had the pleasure of being in an RL poly relationship of any sort, but I would never suggest that you have to be in a fully omnidirectional cuddle puddle to be considered valid. I guess it just strikes me a certain way when the dynamic is... well, spokes on a wheel, rather than a constellation of points? There's nothing wrong with it, I just don't find it as compelling in fiction, specifically.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Oh I am fully aware of your pretentiousness, don't you worry. As usual your preferences do not define anything. You don't get to decide what conversational topics are acceptable or "nane". Done with you. Shoo shoo.

...he says after fighting Tag War Umpteen on basis of subjective notions of what they 'should' mean.

okay.jpg

Also, touchy much?

Doctoraaaaaa
joined Apr 14, 2015

The idea that a harem is about competition for a single pair relationship is just a cliche based on how many romcoms end up. It's not at all what a harem is actually supposed to be. Whether you go by the origin of the term with a Sultan's many concubines or not, there are countless harem stories where the protagonist is actually in a relationship with the girls (or guys in reverse harem). A real harem would be polyamory by default, but it doesn't change the fact that the term is far more precise to describe the constellation, so that's why it's used.

Oh, this makes sense. Maybe I associated the word harem as the genre in animes too fast.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

This was... remarkably wholesome. I like it.

edit: this thread, on the other hand, is agonizingly predictable.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 4:50PM

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

fuck yes, an idol with her group as her harem. this needs an entire series pls

^oddly enough, your comment is agonizingly predictable as well

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 5:22PM

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

^Just because you can predict the criticism, doesn't make it any less true.

last edited at Apr 24, 2020 5:41PM

Untitled-1
joined Feb 6, 2017

Throwing my two cents in, Harem as a genre in anime/manga is more specific and different from the idea of a harem in the English language. If you casually described this to me as "a comic about an idol with a harem" that would work perfectly; however if you tag a manga or anime Harem, I would expect the commonly understood genre conventions to be present.

In conclusion harem and Harem are different and should not be conflated when tagging. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

last edited at Apr 26, 2020 3:04AM

10807fb9dea2e14573bdced1ea4c45e9
joined Aug 19, 2019

Wow I'm really loving this yuri fanservice!!

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

fuck yes, an idol with her group as her harem. this needs an entire series pls

Why, thank you! I take great pride in my ability to say things that add nothing meaningful to a conversation! :P

joined Mar 28, 2020

yuri harem
poly idol harem

Ok, why the fuck ain't this a series? I would totally read more of this

(Also, all the haters in this thread REEEEALLY need to chill the fuck out, ain't nobody got time for yo haterade)

last edited at Apr 26, 2020 1:20PM

joined May 11, 2015

hnng the blush part

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

any upload: *is tagged poly*

comment thread: "Oho! We'll see about that, won't we!"

Anyway, this was excruciatingly cute and I need more content riding this wavelength.

last edited at Apr 29, 2020 9:16AM

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Ahaha, I already said this before, but I love to read this kind of debates over a simple thing like a tag, especially when Bug-san is involved. Please, continue-
BTW, this reminds me that another thread about how "Shoujo Ai" doesn't mean what most people think, nonetheless we use it to tag "soft yuri" stories. Isn't this almost the same with the "harem" tag?

Edit: I really liked this story. Seconds, please~

last edited at Apr 29, 2020 5:17PM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Ahaha, I already said this before, but I love to read this kind of debates over a simple thing like a tag, especially when Bug-san is involved. Please, continue-
BTW, this reminds me that another thread about how "Shoujo Ai" doesn't mean what most people think, nonetheless we use it to tag "soft yuri" stories. Isn't this almost the same with the "harem" tag?

Glad my conversations now have entertainment value to some...

There is no argument about Shoujo Ai. On this site everyone knows its made up and nobody uses it. Period.
Harem denotes exactly what the definition is. The altered perception just comes from a trope and is not actually accurate. There are plenty of harem stories that are not romcoms with competition between lovers.

Alcoholism
joined Apr 15, 2017

I'd like to believe that this is the case for all the idols in real life who we think are gay.

If only

oof

joined Apr 14, 2018

now now, if I were their fans, this would be a dream come true lol

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

Y'know, just because their love is genuine doesn't mean it isn't fan service to show it off to their fans.

"This is the umpteenth time Dynasty users have insulted each other in petty debates about small things and it'd be cool if they were more civil"
"no u"

38611606_p02
joined Feb 17, 2019

Glad my conversations now have entertainment value to some...

There is no argument about Shoujo Ai. On this site everyone knows its made up and nobody uses it. Period.
Harem denotes exactly what the definition is. The altered perception just comes from a trope and is not actually accurate. There are plenty of harem stories that are not romcoms with competition between lovers.

Sorry, I was thinking in another page where I read some mangas I can't find here, my bad-
By any chance, any of these stories is yuri?

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Sorry, I was thinking in another page where I read some mangas I can't find here, my bad-
By any chance, any of these stories is yuri?

Yeah, most scanlation sites are still stuck in the stupid Shoujo Ai mindset. Even though it defies all official outlets who have long since changed to Yuri and GL. It's like a rash that never goes quite away on the internet.

Probably. I don't like harem stories, so I wouldn't look for them.

last edited at Apr 30, 2020 4:05AM

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

I really like this, would love more about them ^_^

To reply you must either login or sign up.