Forum › I Was Popular, But I Guess I Have No Choice But to Save the World! discussion

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Glad this is here now. Serious(ly gay) Watamote doujins are always welcome. Also:

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 1:53PM

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

I don't normally read fanworks of stuff that I haven't watched/read, but I made an exception for this thing since I thought that it'd be fantasy or whatever based on the title and the cover... well, it looks that is sadly not the case.

At any rate, the first chapter was pretty good, and it makes me want to actually read the manga. I couldn't get through the anime years ago though since it made me cringe so much, and the thought of reading like 100 chapters or whatever sure is intimidating... would y'all recommend just skipping the earlier parts to get to the (I'd hope anyway) legitimate yuri as some have suggested? I know that I'd miss all the character development and all that, so that's the major reason why I don't want to go with that option...

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

oh I just read this one the other day in MD, like it quite a bit, Nemo's and Yuri's were my favorite but Uchi's and Asuka's were also pretty good,
Despite being a Yuri x Tomoko shipper I am kinda torn on Yuri's chapter going full Yuri, I think i would have liked it as well if it had been like the previous three, hmm, ah well I still like it.

89922099_p0_3_32
joined Nov 15, 2017

I don't normally read fanworks of stuff that I haven't watched/read, but I made an exception for this thing since I thought that it'd be fantasy or whatever based on the title and the cover... well, it looks that is sadly not the case.

At any rate, the first chapter was pretty good, and it makes me want to actually read the manga. I couldn't get through the anime years ago though since it made me cringe so much, and the thought of reading like 100 chapters or whatever sure is intimidating... would y'all recommend just skipping the earlier parts to get to the (I'd hope anyway) legitimate yuri as some have suggested? I know that I'd miss all the character development and all that, so that's the major reason why I don't want to go with that option...

Don't skip any of it. This manga has a lot of characters and many of them show up briefly early on and get proper introductions later. There's a lot of stuff that happens early on that gets referenced all the time in later chapters. There are more callbacks in Watamote than anything else I've read. I totally understand the desire to skip to the "good stuff," but a lot of the best chapters of the manga are elevated by everything that comes before them. Characters and their relations to one another are very important.

There's also not legitimate yuri per se, but the amount of subtext is so intense that even explicit yuri doujins like this could fit easily into the canon of the manga. There is a (heavily implied) gay character, and Tomoko herself is so bisexual it hurts.

Go read Watamote on mangadex, and then come back and read this doujin. There are a lot of references in this that make it so much more wonderful when you've read the source material.

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

I only read the Uchi chapter because it is by default the only one worth reading. It was very good. That is all.

joined Sep 13, 2018

dont skip it , like the other one said most of the things gets recalled later on in the manga and i think there is no other manga with a natural character growth like in watamote.
Its not the best manga out there but to me it feels unique in that matter as well as how you cant predict anything that will happen next , you expect cliche stuff common in anime & manga next chapter but then you get a surprise with something you never expected to happen in the series.

Qbe6q6nw4kw
joined Oct 17, 2016

Thank you guys for uploading my request, this series is gold. This is what i really want to happen in the original series. It is so satisfying to see Tomoko voicing all her thoughts about a certain character in a dialogue rather than keeping her thoughts to herself all the time causing misunderstandings left and right. Instead, this doujin pushes all those tropes and i love it.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

I only read the chapters that I ship Tomoko with (which is basically everyone featured in this manga so...), and now this doujin is in my favorites.

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 4:33PM

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

For me, I found it easiest to do in small doses. One chapter/episode every few days. Maybe even once a week if it was that bad. Wait till you're in a mindset of actually wanting to know what's next. Over time, I felt like I was rooting for her more than cringing at her fail, and it became easier.

The other thing that might help is that the anime covers the manga really accurately, at least as far as it gets. So if you watched the episode pertaining to that chapter(s) you could skip reading those. It would depend how far you got. The anime covers the worst of the cringe too. I think it gets lighter as it goes on, even before the turning point. Or maybe I just got used to it..

Edit: Also Mako, rotfl

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 4:43PM

Download202001sdsfsfdsfsdfdsfdsfs02154639
joined Apr 18, 2016

"I cant shake her off," she says, desperately clasping the back of Yuri's shirt to hold her there as close as possible, lol.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Now that's the stuff!

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

I only read the Uchi chapter because it is by default the only one worth reading. It was very good. That is all.

We are the Ucchi Gang, and we will not rest until the whole world is emoji-faced

Megumiakipfp%20zoom
joined May 1, 2019

Man that was a good doujin. I haven't read the manga yet (though now I kind of want to), but the characters still felt very in-character based on other doujin stuff I've seen.

Test
joined Sep 8, 2019

Man that was a good doujin. I haven't read the manga yet (though now I kind of want to), but the characters still felt very in-character based on other doujin stuff I've seen.

Read it, I was not impressed by the anime until someone recommends me not long ago,
Literally binge it in a week not long ago.

Best decision I had in that months.

Had a good laugh and some wholesome moments

Tumblr_nqv8vppgwy1qhzyd1o1_400
joined Mar 11, 2019

Wow i think this doujin is so deep and interesting, hail to the creator

ParasyticGhoul
Smell_1
joined Dec 5, 2016

Just normal

joined Aug 21, 2017

I see somebody likes TomokoxYuri and MakoxYoshida

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo
joined Apr 24, 2014

I feel so happy after reading this C:

joined Nov 21, 2018

So happy to see this here!

If anyone decides to pick up the manga after reading this, feel free to take it slow. Not just because of the risk of cringe overload early on, but because the cast can feel bloated as more side characters come to the forefront. It can be hard to match names to faces if you don't take your time.

Edit: Re-reading this now, after the most recent manga chapter came out, really helps me appreciate how the doujin author nailed Asuka's character.

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 10:12PM

joined Oct 26, 2016

I'm also going to chime in and recommend reading starting from the beginning as if you skip the 70 odd chapters before the better content you really miss out on context and nice character development.

If you're content driven like me who can't read something for too long unless the content is really something you want to read it might help by blitzing through some of the cringey parts. Some chapter segments can be skimmed over easily without losing key info.

Heres%20wakasa
joined Jul 28, 2016

Don't skip any of it. This manga has a lot of characters and many of them show up briefly early on and get proper introductions later. There's a lot of stuff that happens early on that gets referenced all the time in later chapters. There are more callbacks in Watamote than anything else I've read. I totally understand the desire to skip to the "good stuff," but a lot of the best chapters of the manga are elevated by everything that comes before them. Characters and their relations to one another are very important.

There's also not legitimate yuri per se, but the amount of subtext is so intense that even explicit yuri doujins like this could fit easily into the canon of the manga. There is a (heavily implied) gay character, and Tomoko herself is so bisexual it hurts.

Go read Watamote on mangadex, and then come back and read this doujin. There are a lot of references in this that make it so much more wonderful when you've read the source material.

I always love a good callback, so it's good to hear that the callbacks in the chapters I've read of this thing are indicative of the actual manga. For this reason, I usually don't skip around, but... well, I just couldn't handle the cringe. That was years ago though, so I'm hoping that I'll like it more now. Also, I'm a bit disappointed to hear that the yuri isn't completely explicit, but I'm totally fine with incredibly intense subtext if it's anything like this.

dont skip it , like the other one said most of the things gets recalled later on in the manga and i think there is no other manga with a natural character growth like in watamote.
Its not the best manga out there but to me it feels unique in that matter as well as how you cant predict anything that will happen next , you expect cliche stuff common in anime & manga next chapter but then you get a surprise with something you never expected to happen in the series.

Ah, I also always love reading stuff with great character development and a unpredictable plot. I'm liking WataMote more and more based on all your feedback... and I haven't even read it yet heh.

For me, I found it easiest to do in small doses. One chapter/episode every few days. Maybe even once a week if it was that bad. Wait till you're in a mindset of actually wanting to know what's next. Over time, I felt like I was rooting for her more than cringing at her fail, and it became easier.

The other thing that might help is that the anime covers the manga really accurately, at least as far as it gets. So if you watched the episode pertaining to that chapter(s) you could skip reading those. It would depend how far you got. The anime covers the worst of the cringe too. I think it gets lighter as it goes on, even before the turning point. Or maybe I just got used to it..

I'm happy to hear that it at least gets lighter fairly quickly. I think that I got halfway through the series or somewhere along those lines on my first attempt, so I'll just have to get through the second half to get to the good stuff.

I'm also going to chime in and recommend reading starting from the beginning as if you skip the 70 odd chapters before the better content you really miss out on context and nice character development.

If you're content driven like me who can't read something for too long unless the content is really something you want to read it might help by blitzing through some of the cringey parts. Some chapter segments can be skimmed over easily without losing key info.

I typically have no issues reading stuff for too long, but this just tested my limits... I'll definitely keep that in mind then if any scenes get too cringey for me.

last edited at Apr 22, 2020 1:41AM

Dvqp9navyaajvfc-orig
joined Aug 26, 2019

Masterpiece

Me%20now%20-%20copy
joined Feb 11, 2013

this makes my soul hurt so much i love this. im gonna believe that this is an AU where tomoko gets an extra social brain cell because God that's really all she needs.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Asuka kind of pranked Tomoko.

Also the others are right about needing the series.

last edited at Apr 22, 2020 11:13AM

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

When am i gonna get a Tonoko x Yuu doujin?

To reply you must either login or sign up.