Forum › At The Bottom Of The Stairway To Adulthood discussion

Anime
joined Oct 20, 2014

Why did the one girl say to stop repeating "pink"? I don't get it and I don't want 2 but it's a lovely manga.

Capture
joined Mar 25, 2015

This was one of the few one shots that I wanted a continuation too.. It was just too cute..

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Actually, to me (and I think this is a strength of the story) the big sister only goes from "jerk" to "ambiguous". Yes, a couple of little sister's recollections of having things taken away are actually recollections of having things not taken away. But she still treats her routinely like a servant, and she still hangs with nasty vapid backbiting friends and lets them nastily backbite her girlfriend. She turns out to be not so bad, but I don't think the story is making her out to be totally sweet and wonderful under a tsundere facade, just a realistic person with good and bad points (and maybe capable of being recalled to her better self by the love of a good woman). IMO people are forgetting this because we tend to be too easily swayed by the most recent snippet of information.
Younger sister would probably have been better suited to Kuga-san, but she's out of the running because she's younger (and 'cause she met her second, which is fair enough). It's good her older sister has a nicer side, but the one who brought it out is Kuga-san. To me that second-to-last page, with the message saying "sorry for stealing your big sister away from you" is doubly ironic--on one hand, that's the opposite of her problem, rather she feels like her big sister stole Kuga-san away, and on the other, Kuga-san (with her gentle, generous influence) if anything gave her back an older sister she hadn't had for a while.
It's a great story, but I do find it bittersweet, and I don't think it should be disqualified just because the girl in love is young. I remember how it was--when I fell in love at 13, it was as hard a fall as I ever had in my life, ripped me up and made me as sad as anything ever did. It wasn't some little thing just because I was young, and I think that's true for lots of young people.

A2bcf11834a1918b3f09b4219b2a099f_r
joined Aug 16, 2014

Nice to see this on the front page, it's been one of my favorites for quite some time.

To me that second-to-last page, with the message saying "sorry for stealing your big sister away from you" is doubly ironic--on one hand, that's the opposite of her problem, rather she feels like her big sister stole Kuga-san away, and on the other, Kuga-san (with her gentle, generous influence) if anything gave her back an older sister she hadn't had for a while.

Nice reflexion, Purple Library Guy. Kuga-san "giving back the older sister" went right over my head all this time...

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

beautifully written, I have this tinging sensation in my chest >_<

67351033_10220293459155029_8283322322757091328_n
joined Jul 22, 2015

a bittersweet sibling love triangle. honestly it's not cute in my opinion. the art is, sure. but the story isn't happy, it's rather just sad with a little drop of happiness in the end to make people not hate the whole thing.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

a bittersweet sibling love triangle. honestly it's not cute in my opinion. the art is, sure. but the story isn't happy, it's rather just sad with a little drop of happiness in the end to make people not hate the whole thing.

Yup, everyone getting what they wanted is a terribly sad ending.

• Little sister gets to be friends with the pretty girl, as well as the email address she'd been wanting.
  • Older Sister gets a girlfriend, proves to be nice after all plus nicer to her sister afterwards.
  • Pretty girl gets a girlfriend and friends with her girlfriend's sister.

Note that nothing the little sister fantasizes about is "love", per se. She mostly wants to be friends with this girl who turns out to be her sister's girlfriend. The closest to love is an innocent fantasy version which more resembles a close friend (going to a movie, shopping, but no kissing or more closeness than holding hands). Hell, she doesn't even seem particularly unhappy at the end, except for the fever, more concerned with growing up a bit more.

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

I don't have any siblings, but I can say from an outside perspective of being around a lot of friends who do have older and younger siblings the relationship here really felt pretty normal as far as some siblings go. Not all, of course, but I don't think it's unusual for an older sibling to find a younger one annoying, or not wanting their friends to get along with their siblings. It's something most people mature out of though.

I've loved this one shot for some time, I feel like it captured a lot of things and reflected real life emotions and relationships very well and I love it for that. This author is by far one of my favorites, they're amazing at really grabbing you and shoving emotions down your throat.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Dayominator

I don't have any siblings, but I can say from an outside perspective of being around a lot of friends who do have older and younger siblings the relationship here really felt pretty normal as far as some siblings go. Not all, of course, but I don't think it's unusual for an older sibling to find a younger one annoying, or not wanting their friends to get along with their siblings. It's something most people mature out of though.

Being an older sibling I always find it weird how common it is for siblings to struggle to get along. While we occasionally bickered my sister and I got along great in general. I have three far younger half siblings who I've always got along with pretty well too. Though that's less comparable since the oldest of those is literally half my age. At such young ages they look up to most adults.

Copy90_90_zpscf246422
joined Sep 18, 2014

Being an older sibling I always find it weird how common it is for siblings to struggle to get along.

It's not weird at all. Despite living under one roof, both of you are still your own persons. Those differences leads to a clash, a struggle to get along.

Source: Eldest here with an antisocial stoic personality. Brother is the outgoing type who expresses his emotions freely. Naturally, we clash a lot.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

lenne18

It's not weird at all. Despite living under one roof, both of you are still your own persons. Those differences leads to a clash, a struggle to get along.

Source: Eldest here with an antisocial stoic personality. Brother is the outgoing type who expresses his emotions freely. Naturally, we clash a lot.

See this is one of the weirdest parts to me. That sounds just like me and my sister, I'm fairly antisocial and quiet while she's a very outgoing person. In quite a lot of ways we're exact opposites yet we've never had many issues getting along. Compared to other groups so siblings I've seen, we fight or argue rarely enough for it to really not count at all.

Tumblr_mvh8oxup8c1sqfwuxo1_500
joined Sep 1, 2015

My heart just suddenly jolt at page 22
That's really.... Ehm... Hard to describe...

lazylikeyourass
Capture
joined Mar 26, 2016

The first time I read this the ending didn't affect me much at all, but now for the second time, I feel so bad for the imouto.

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Actually, to me (and I think this is a strength of the story) the big sister only goes from "jerk" to "ambiguous". Yes, a couple of little sister's recollections of having things taken away are actually recollections of having things not taken away. But she still treats her routinely like a servant, and she still hangs with nasty vapid backbiting friends and lets them nastily backbite her girlfriend. She turns out to be not so bad, but I don't think the story is making her out to be totally sweet and wonderful under a tsundere facade, just a realistic person with good and bad points (and maybe capable of being recalled to her better self by the love of a good woman). IMO people are forgetting this because we tend to be too easily swayed by the most recent snippet of information.
Younger sister would probably have been better suited to Kuga-san, but she's out of the running because she's younger (and 'cause she met her second, which is fair enough). It's good her older sister has a nicer side, but the one who brought it out is Kuga-san. To me that second-to-last page, with the message saying "sorry for stealing your big sister away from you" is doubly ironic--on one hand, that's the opposite of her problem, rather she feels like her big sister stole Kuga-san away, and on the other, Kuga-san (with her gentle, generous influence) if anything gave her back an older sister she hadn't had for a while.
It's a great story, but I do find it bittersweet, and I don't think it should be disqualified just because the girl in love is young. I remember how it was--when I fell in love at 13, it was as hard a fall as I ever had in my life, ripped me up and made me as sad as anything ever did. It wasn't some little thing just because I was young, and I think that's true for lots of young people.

Huh, that's a really good analysis. Thank you for your insight!

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Maybe you guys don't know or don't remember, but when you're a kid, you can have serious, platonic admiration for someone to the point where you want to be with them all the time and get upset if you can't. You could call it a mild crush, but I think Natsu just wants to be friends with Kuga.

I was like a little kid magnet, they would cry whenever I had to leave and would welcome me like a puppy whenever I went to visit... maybe cause I let them kick me and play with me and pull on my hair and went along with their cute games lol I had so much patience... Now I just pretend I'm on my phone doing something so that they don't bother me lol.

last edited at May 22, 2019 5:59PM

20200827_004119
joined Jan 3, 2017

dang it author, now I don't know who to root for. Are you a sadist? cause you sure like to make people like me suffer.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Aww

joined Oct 10, 2016

That end was so fucking sad. Ugh.

Senpai
joined Dec 12, 2017

That end was so fucking sad. Ugh.

You mean nice?

lensbiandykely
Capture
joined Jan 13, 2019

I'm fine with this. The age gap wouldn't be comfortable anwyay

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

Ok, i didn't expected to be THIS cute and wholesome, it was shocking
I love it!
Would love a sequel... the sadness of oneshots.

joined Oct 14, 2017

Feeling sad for Little Wolf

joined Jan 11, 2014

Ew. The older sister is such a bitch. So is the friend group. I don't really think a bit of kindness sometimes is good justification for being a horrible person most of the time. I think the only thing that would make me like her more is if during times of importance, she chooses her sister or her girlfriend instead of her friends.

last edited at Mar 19, 2020 11:36PM

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

I mean her big sister is such a jerk. being a greedy bitch and not defending her girlfriend when her friends badmouthes her. How did the girlfriend come to love such a person?

To reply you must either login or sign up.