Forum › Fragtime discussion

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015
006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

This is the moment where we say "Well, shit!" https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-12-10/fragtime-anime-production-tear-studio-is-out-of-contact-and-unreachable/.154178 right?

The OVA is already done and released, but this sure would negatively affect DVD/BD/web release, which sucks for those who haven't seen it in cinemas, which means most people. This sucks even harder for the animators who didn't get paid for their works.

and should the worst case happens, it would not even be available on the seven seas, so we won't be able to watch it anyway, legitimately or no :-<

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Well, there was also potential that they could do different adaptations in the future if this one would be well received, but now the studio is dead.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I almost feel like this happened because I jinxed it by thinking about when the Fragtime DVD/BD/Web release would be several hours ago, during a break between classes...

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

As always we can't have nice things. Hopefully someone buys rights to movie otherwise it'll be lost forever. I hope the reason for bankruptcy wasn't making Fragtime, because it could send the message that making yuri would make your studio go bankrupt.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I guess this may be a rare time where the production committee system is actually helpful. Since the rights belong to the committee, not to the studio, licensing and proper BD release are still possible even with the studio gone.

I hope the reason for bankruptcy wasn't making Fragtime, because it could send the message that making yuri would make your studio go bankrupt.

According to a comment at the newspost, they apparently had problems paying their staff with their earlier series as well, so likely not really Fragtime's fault.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

luinthoron posted:

I guess this may be a rare time where the production committee system is actually helpful. Since the rights belong to the committee, not to the studio, licensing and proper BD release are still possible even with the studio gone.

Glad to hear that.

joined Oct 22, 2018

Well... at least there's a silver lining...

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Wow, that was so GOOD! I had the privilege to read this from start to finish in one go.

This is going to be one hell of a trip once the OVA gets subbed. (If ever...)

last edited at Jan 15, 2020 5:03PM

Fb_img_1655021386325
joined Dec 23, 2018

I think it is the best drama manga i ever saw in my life =))) I love it so much :”3

Crying%20trash
joined Feb 8, 2018

For anyone that stumbles across this: the movie is being released on DVD. Release date is May 13th from what I can gather.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

For anyone that stumbles across this: the movie is being released on DVD. Release date is May 13th from what I can gather.

could you share the source on that one, please?

joined Jun 12, 2015

TVRip is up. DVD/Bluray release date is May 13th.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Eizouken effect in the locker room scene: sneakers don't make that kind of a sound on any surface.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

So, I watched Fragtime movie and I have to say... it was a huge disappointment. For how short manga is you'd think they would have no issue fitting all the material into movie, yet the movie is only 1 hour short and still manages to cut some stuff out. I dislike changes on principal, but I'm not necessary against them by default, but I have to say, movie really didn't do source material justice. It felt really rushed and girls have no chemistry whatsoever and for some unyurily reason they cut out most of the moments that actually showed their personalities and relationship. But even all that wouldn't be as bad if not for the fact, they changed the 1 scene that I loved in manga the most. The fact that final confrontation was in public with all classmate present was what really made it stand out to me, because that's so rare in yuri manga, also the fact that Murakami's friend actually was a good person and called her on her bs as well. Movie just make it a private scene between them without any audience, which made it much weaker.

joined Oct 22, 2018

I just finished watching the movie, and it actually wasn't bad. It certainly felt a bit rushed, but IMO it was pretty decent. Granted, my view on this is a bit influenced by the fact I only read Fragtime once and never bothered to re-read it, so my memory of the original manga is a bit fuzzy, but still.

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

I liked the movie.
I did think the first half was a bit slow, but thought the second half took off and made up for it.

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

What on earth. This is such a wonderful gem of a story. I can't even. It's beautiful.

If I were to make commentary I'd end up commenting on every single chapter. It's a tightly woven story with clear ideas it wants to express plus a believable build-up and resolution, which I adore. I loved a lot of things about this. A personally relatable favorite is how Mirei's power to stop time is inverse to her willingness to interact with others. That line about how difficult it must be to live in a world where you can't run away, as well as her own difficult integration back into society is heart-breaking and then heart-warming. Haruka's desire to break all the rules, live freely as she chooses is similarly relatable and heart-breaking. Then the story's climax in a immensely public confession/meltdown scene was satisfying for dramatic tension as well as fulfillment of the story's themes.

I'm so proud of Mirei for standing up to Haruka!!! She returned time to normal just to force Haruka to confront that rebellious side of hers, the "real" her, and reveal it to others. Similarly I liked the twist that Haruka could move freely during the time stop not because Mirei wanted to share the time with her, but because she wanted to share in Mirei's time. In the beginning the initial explanation didn't make sense because it didn't seem like Mirei had paid any special attention to Haruka so that was random. But once we see Haruka's side of the story, it all makes sense.

Have to say, it's really amazing how their classmates barely react to Mirei/Haruka suddenly appearing out of place or straight up disappearing during the middle of conversations. Don't they think it's weird or have any thoughts about how abnormal that is? Oh well, the plot requires such non-reactiveness.

I liked this a lot! It's a shame the animation studio went MIA and then declared bankruptcy. Maybe I'll watch the movie at some point.

Kase%20(1)
joined Jul 6, 2020

I agree that the movie didn't really live up to the source material, I think it was a bit rushed if anything however it wasn't bad at all and it was pretty much the reason why I decided to read the manga so I can't complain. I feel like the manga explores more of Moritani's fears and social anxiety, probably since it has more of her internal monologue here. Wish the movie was longer or had a TV series, but it's definitely worth a watch!

Norainhere Uploader
2hu%20cats
joined Jun 27, 2014

Sato posted a short post-series bonus comic on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sasasatotototo/status/1290543335505985537

Budokan2
joined Jan 13, 2015

They told each other that they loved each other yet they continue to only stealing glances at each other in the end? It's weird that it's back to being like a secret even though everybody knows. Is it that hard for their cliques to hang out together. I guess it kinda is but if you're known to be going out, isn't it expected that you'll hang out together more often? I always find it weird that most of these stories it's always taboo to spend less time with your friends when you have someone special. Weird since highschool friendships don't even hold out after graduation, like 2 or 3 weeks after graduation all of that is most likely gone now. All that time you took simply vanishes so it's weird how much weight they put on highschool friendships. I find statistically that workplace or college relationships/friendships to actually last rather than highschool ones, so it's always weird when i see these kinds of stories but i guess it also means it's good since it reflects real life so much.

All in all a pretty good story, the ending is kinda meh for me since after all that confession thing around the whole school, it's like it was all negated since they're only still stealing glances and touches at each other. Even though the catharsis should be, "You should do what you want, not what others impose on you.", their still sticking to their cliques and not speaking to each other openly as what the school society imposes on them. Even though one of Haruka's friends even pushed her to do what she wants, in the end they still stay on the boundaries of their cliques. So what was the whole point of the story? lol. This is even magnified by the similarities in chapter 17 and chapter 0, where the last shot is both of them just passing by each other. It's like the only difference is minimal. I felt like the ending should've shown them hanging out more openly now that Moriya's powers are gona, signifying they know do what they really want to do. But instead the last shot is still them in their own cliques. So weird, it feels like the author wanted to show the readers that "You can be what you want, you can do what you want to do and not be tied down by other people's expectations since it's your life" yet it shows in the last shot them being tied down to their own cliques in the end since it's what people expect. 7/10 for me. That ending was reaaally disappointing. lol. Thought the point of the time powers being lost was that they'd be forced to openly hangout, but it really didn't translate it at the end.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Idk. I didn't understand ending like that at all. It's not about them still hiding it and acting according to social expectations. To me it just shows that both of them grown as people. They're still Haruka's friends, why shouldn't she hang out with them? Mirei finally managed to make friends of her own, why shouldn't she hang out with them? They're dating, but they sill have their own lives. It's not like once you become a couple you have to be together 24/7. That would actually be acting according to social expectations, don't you think? That your partner is the most important thing and you should prioritize them over everything else, even friends. Ending nowhere show that they stick to their groups and barely interact and only in secret. And did you miss the moment when, when they passed each other, they lovingly looked back and touch their hands? And how Haruka's friend notices it and then she laughs about it together with Haruka? Chapter 0 shows that they lived in different words and never interacted with each other. Chapter 17 shows that while they both still have separate lives, now their worlds are connected and they can connect whenever they want. The fear of reaching to one another is gone. They're free to do it whenever they want. Idk, to me it was just kinda obvious and so I didn't spend too much time thinking about it, so it's kinda hard to explain properly, but to me the ending clearly shows a huge change in their lives and relationship for the better.

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

Sato posted a short post-series bonus comic on Twitter: https://twitter.com/sasasatotototo/status/1290543335505985537

Dear Jesus,
Please give me the power to suddenly be able to read Japanese so I can enjoy these pics.
Love, Beefaroni

To reply you must either login or sign up.