Forum › Crescent Moon and Doughnuts discussion

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

god this is too adorable...

joined May 1, 2013

I think this is very well-written, with nice focus. But this is another example of... hm, I have a hard time putting this into words. But like, it has absolutely every piece of a coming-out story: Hinako knew she was unusual somehow, so she threw herself into traditional femininity to be normal, and wanted a man to come along and snatch her up so she wouldn't have to think about it, even though she's never really enjoyed men's attention. But now she can't deny her feelings for this woman she knows, and it's pushing her to accept herself. That's a coming-out story!

But like, no one ever talks about that she's gay. Like, it's clear she likes SATOU, and that liking Satou is important for all this somehow. But the very key element of Hinako's sexuality remains totally tacit. What's going on, here?

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Is sweet omelette a thing? Has anyone here tried it? I think the idea sounds hideous.

last edited at Jan 21, 2020 7:31PM

20230106_011143
joined Mar 8, 2018

I can't speak for sweet omelette, but my dad always used to make scrambled eggs that tasted really sweet and savoury. To this day it's still one of my favorite dishes!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I think this is very well-written, with nice focus. But this is another example of... hm, I have a hard time putting this into words. But like, it has absolutely every piece of a coming-out story: Hinako knew she was unusual somehow, so she threw herself into traditional femininity to be normal, and wanted a man to come along and snatch her up so she wouldn't have to think about it, even though she's never really enjoyed men's attention. But now she can't deny her feelings for this woman she knows, and it's pushing her to accept herself. That's a coming-out story!

But like, no one ever talks about that she's gay. Like, it's clear she likes SATOU, and that liking Satou is important for all this somehow. But the very key element of Hinako's sexuality remains totally tacit. What's going on, here?

I’m not understanding your question: who is it that doesn’t talk about her being gay? The characters in the story?

No one knows what Hinako is feeling except her, as of yet, so who would be talking about her being gay?

As to the forum, that’s practically the first thing anybody said:

https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts/536732

@cecile: I don’t eat omelettes myself, but I’ve read many manga references to bento-style rolled eggs as being sweet (usually in the contexts either of being too sweet, or of food made for kids).

last edited at Jan 21, 2020 7:43PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Oh my godddddd this is so good. This is definitely one of my favorite mangas, that's it. The way it explores neurodivergence and the feeling of isolation and the way that just plodding along trying to fit in can make you feel... and the way that someone accepting you and caring about you can transform things... and just... ughhhhh I love thisssss.

joined Jan 22, 2015

I have never identified with a Male character in a yuri manga the way I have today. Having your friends, family, and coworkers push you to start a relationship can be utterly draining. I just... enjoy being alone.

joined Dec 5, 2019

The small details
Their shoes touching when she is feeding her the omelette, she noticing her mouth, she asking herself "what about me?", the way she is discovering what she feels is presented very nicely, and when she decided to see Satou just because, yeah, that was nice.
Not mentioning the "the moon is beautiful" comment, if I'm not mistaken that is an old timey way of saying I love you, right? Of course, it can be double meaning and I don't know if the mc herself is ready to accept herself that way.
I'm eagerly waiting what's more to come, the way she comes to terms with the feelings and attraction she feels for Satou.

And more and more I suspect that Satou has already come out for Subaru and she knows that Satou is gay, and if she hasn't said anything Subaru must have picked it up from a previous crush or something.

In the future I'd like to see Satou's relation with her parents too, if they knew about it too or not.

last edited at Jan 21, 2020 7:58PM

Mostly%20sunny
joined Oct 26, 2016

Their romance is just too good.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Is sweet omelette a thing? Has anyone here tried it? I think the idea sounds hideous.

Yes, it's quite common. Usually rolled omelette is made either savory or sweet. Uno likes savory, Satou likes sweet. :)

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

i like both... just sayin'...

Mika-icon
joined Jan 31, 2013

I've gotten to try sweet tamagoyaki from the menu of local Japanese style restaurants. Since I'm in the midwest USA I have absolutely no idea how authentic the stuff I had was, but I loved it. (I also have a bit of a sweet tooth though)

last edited at Jan 21, 2020 8:12PM

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

I love this story so freaking much!
AND NO IT ISN'T BECAUSE I AM A LONELY BEING AS WELL, SHUT UP!

Drama aside, I really like how MC has started to move forward and away from the "self" society has always expected of her. The moment she shout "what about MY happiness!?" was so freaking catarthic!

... now waiting for the inebitable relapse caused by a newcomer (my money is on the mother).
Because the chart says so.

last edited at Jan 21, 2020 8:13PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

What is a sweet omelette flavored with?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I don't want to repeat everything I already said in MD, but you know I went there first because I wanted to enjoy each chapter separately and give my honest comment to each one, because I think this is a beautiful work so I don't want to miss a thing and I don't want to make it short... And because each chapter has a different taste I didn't want to discuss with only the remaining flavor of the last one.

Something else I didn't talk about in MD was her confrontation to herself, she probably knows, this isn't the easiest way but it's worth it and she's trying very hard.

ALSO #1 IMOUTO OF ALL TIMES

joined May 1, 2013

I’m not understanding your question: who is it that doesn’t talk about her being gay? The characters in the story?

I mean the author not making it explicit and something to explore, however it's brought in. Like, her attraction to Satou is synecdoche for her overall attraction to women, and the latter is just left tacit.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

What is a sweet omelette flavored with?

Sugar

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

I recently stumbled upon a cake recipe, sweet and all, but the ingredients include about half kg of pork (I plan to try it in a few weeks), so I suppose sweet omelette would not be bad if done right.

And "Tsuki ga kirei". Guys, please pass the insulin around. Double dose for me please.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I mean the author not making it explicit and something to explore, however it's brought in. Like, her attraction to Satou is synecdoche for her overall attraction to women, and the latter is just left tacit.

I’m going to try one more time, because I flat out do not understand what you’re saying here.

As far as we can tell, this is the first time Hinako has allowed herself to feel an attraction outside of a rigidly defined “normality” (her oppressive mom supplies more than enough explanation for why). How is the author not making her attraction to Satou explicit?

Put another way, what would what you’re looking for look like in the context of this story and these characters?

joined Jun 12, 2019

This is so good.. it’s cute

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

What I love about this series is that it has a very simple premise, but the pacing, plot structure and character development make it really enjoyable. If this was any other author, we'd have like 20 chapters of them going back and forth before getting to this point, and their relationship would probably be much less active.

Instead, we see two characters that have no real things in common (and that tends to be something I don't like, however) they still try their best to connect with each other, taking the initiative in their own happiness, and that's real nice.

I normally wouldn't be invested in a character like Hinako, but I am because her plight seems sincere and authentic, and I want her to gain depth as a person (beyond just taking up any of the things traditionally attributed to women that lead to marriage and kids). Also, the way she's written, being sick of putting up an act to the point she gets depressed and is unable to find joy in the things she normally would and feeling the expectations put on her as the jail they actually are, is pretty good. Satou is also nice, and the little sister is a wonderful devil.

The story feels hopeful, as well, specially if you're someone who has struggled with their identity or with change in the past. This is all around a good story and I can't wait to see its development <3

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

These chapters are so good. I need more

Im%20gonna%20fucking%20cry%20koyuki
joined Nov 5, 2017

Looking forward to this whole series <33

Dsisterism_021_015-1-1
joined Oct 7, 2015

people giving actual reviews and psychological analysis of characters and I'm here just getting diabetes ( and feeling like I can step out of the mess I put myself in with some motivation and hard work )

joined May 1, 2013

I’m going to try one more time, because I flat out do not understand what you’re saying here.

As far as we can tell, this is the first time Hinako has allowed herself to feel an attraction outside of a rigidly defined “normality” (her oppressive mom supplies more than enough explanation for why). How is the author not making her attraction to Satou explicit?

Put another way, what would what you’re looking for look like in the context of this story and these characters?

It could go a million different ways. It can be an internal monologue, in dialogue, in her noticing a magazine cover. There's lots of ways a story element can be made explicit.

Also, like, "this story" and "these characters" only are the way they are because the author chose to make them that way. There's no reason another character couldn't exist who comments on it, or there isn't a gay celebrity scandal on TV or whatever.

I said the attraction to Satou is explicit; the general nature of her sexuality is what's implicit, even though every note of a coming out story is being hit. This is a story about a woman realizing she's gay where the concept of "gay" never comes up. It's like the author wants us to totally understand what these "holes" are (internalized homophobia and unhappiness about forcing herself into hetero normalcy) but wants to be coy about it or not explicitly bring it up for some other reason. This appears to be fairly common in yuri manga.

To reply you must either login or sign up.