Forum › Even If It Was Just Once, I Regret It discussion

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

dynasty scans readers will eat everything as long as it's GAY.

Okay but would you eat GAY ham that's three days past its sell-by date?

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I love how a lot of mangadex readers completely hate this manga since it started off creepy and rapey while dynasty scans readers will eat everything as long as it's GAY.
I'm with all of my fellow dynasty readers on this one.

I don't understand where they're getting "rapey" from, in the first few chapters Hara clearly had problems with being accused of taking advantage Koduka. The reason was also disclosed in 5.1 (even though you could easily guess why she was bothered by it). So it was basically the opposite of rapey. Also, Hara never took advantage of Koduka, and was even satisfied with the simplest things, basically it's pretty innocent yuri, except for the first chapter and those close sex scenes.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Top 10 most awesome twists of yuri !!!

That's the most romantic way to say "I regret it" I'm very happy with this

joined Mar 15, 2015

Leaving aside the entire contract between Koduka and her landlady, I'm more than a little frustrated that Koduka didn't actually get the job. That would have been a nice way to shake up the status quo, and possibly help force Koduka and the landlady to decide where their relationship should go from this point onward.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Leaving aside the entire contract between Koduka and her landlady, I'm more than a little frustrated that Koduka didn't actually get the job. That would have been a nice way to shake up the status quo, and possibly help force Koduka and the landlady to decide where their relationship should go from this point onward.

While you’re probably right about the immediate story trajectory, I was mostly pissed at the boss. I hate people in authority who fail to communicate because they want people to think they’re nice—there are humane ways to tell someone bad news.

joined Mar 15, 2015

While you’re probably right about the immediate story trajectory, I was mostly pissed at the boss. I hate people in authority who fail to communicate because they want people to think they’re nice—there are humane ways to tell someone bad news.

That's true. Whenever I have a job interview, the hiring manager generally tells me when they'll make a decision, and when they do, they usually say something to the effect of, "Thanks for your interest, but we went with someone else. Feel free to try again when there's another opening." They're generally polite and encouraging, but also honest.

I was loving this but last chapter just killed it for me. I'm so done with the interrupted confession trope. I've been done with it for years and it's still showing up making me hate it more and more each time. It's absolutely terrible writing and I can't believe authors continue to thoughtlessly pump out this tripe

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

I'm so tired of these tropes.

STATUS QUO! NO DEVELOPMENT! LONG LIFE TO OBLIVION!

joined Dec 5, 2019

Big twist! the one who regrets it is actually the landlady, that was a nice chapter overall

and Kozuka is becoming gayer and gayer, it won't be long before she notices "how long her eyelashes are" and other substitutes for cheching a girl out that they use in manga, maybe even a "she smells so nice". and once that happens it's an express train to yuritown

joined Jan 22, 2015

I was loving this but last chapter just killed it for me. I'm so done with the interrupted confession trope. I've been done with it for years and it's still showing up making me hate it more and more each time. It's absolutely terrible writing and I can't believe authors continue to thoughtlessly pump out this tripe

This. So much this.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

On the one hand, you’re right—it’s frustrating any time there’s a foreseeable and necessary turn/reversal of any kind in a narrative that gets abruptly thwarted; it’s the equivalent of rolling “go back three spaces” in a board game.

But I don’t always find it so objectionable as an element of characterization—at some level Landlady-san wants to confess, but can’t bring herself to do it just yet. (If she really wanted to, she could have done so once the interruption was over. So she obviously doesn’t.)

If the trope is a deal killer for you, that’s that. But I tend to think of partially-blurted-out confessions like this as basically being contained in a virtual thought balloon—readers will know how close the character came to actually confessing, but the other person doesn’t.

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Pretty sure those last couple of pages say otherwise

joined Dec 5, 2019

On the one hand, you’re right—it’s frustrating any time there’s a foreseeable and necessary turn/reversal of any kind in a narrative that gets abruptly thwarted; it’s the equivalent of rolling “go back three spaces” in a board game.

But I don’t always find it so objectionable as an element of characterization—at some level Landlady-san wants to confess, but can’t bring herself to do it just yet. (If she really wanted to, she could have done so once the interruption was over. So she obviously doesn’t.)

If the trope is a deal killer for you, that’s that. But I tend to think of partially-blurted-out confessions like this as basically being contained in a virtual thought balloon—readers will know how close the character came to actually confessing, but the other person doesn’t.

That and we did have some progress here, it's the first time Kozuka expressed some actual phisical interest on landlady, if landlady managed to confess there she would probably have been shot down by Kozuka since I don't think she is ready.
That call actually saved them

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 1:44PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

NaruZombie posted:

Big twist! the one who regrets it is actually the landlady, that was a nice chapter overall

and Kozuka is becoming gayer and gayer, it won't be long before she notices "how long her eyelashes are" and other substitutes for cheching a girl out that they use in manga, maybe even a "she smells so nice". and once that happens it's an express train to yuritown

That train already departed today, you're just naming the stations

Malibu Uploader
Hogfather
Kouyuri
joined Jan 25, 2016

If I was in a room with Hitler, Stalin, and the trope of having perfect moments ruined by phones and other bullshit, I would shoot the trope twice. What a dick move by using that trope. Dick move.

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Pretty sure those last couple of pages say otherwise

This chapter was a major example of "go to square one".

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Huh, I really did not expect them to have actually had sex. Very clever taking the title and applying it to the landlady though, good twist. I really do like this manga. Also, it's hardly back to square one. The landlady has gotten closer to confessing her feelings, and, much much more importantly, Kozuka is starting to realize she's attracted to her. That's hardly square one.

joined Apr 6, 2019

dynasty scans readers will eat everything as long as it's GAY.

Okay but would you eat GAY ham that's three days past its sell-by date?

You have been in this forum for 6 years, and you still need to ask? XP

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

god damn, i am loving this so much.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

I love how a lot of mangadex readers completely hate this manga since it started off creepy and rapey while dynasty scans readers will eat everything as long as it's GAY.
I'm with all of my fellow dynasty readers on this one.

I don't understand where they're getting "rapey" from, in the first few chapters Hara clearly had problems with being accused of taking advantage Koduka. The reason was also disclosed in 5.1 (even though you could easily guess why she was bothered by it). So it was basically the opposite of rapey. Also, Hara never took advantage of Koduka, and was even satisfied with the simplest things, basically it's pretty innocent yuri, except for the first chapter and those close sex scenes.

Having sex with someone so drunk they can't tell night from day can be rape, since they are in no position to consent. But it's a bit of a gray area if the drunk person doesn't think they were taken advantage of, which is the case here. And it's nice that landlady-san realizes it was wrong to do that.

and Kozuka is becoming gayer and gayer, it won't be long before she notices "how long her eyelashes are"

I've always wondered about the "she has such long eyelashes" trope in yuri manga. Is this a Japanese thing, or are all yuri mangaka just copying that line off each other's works?

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 3:12PM

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

Yeah, further confused by it being sex she was getting something out of, namely leniency on her rent. Is prostitution under the influence rape? Is prostitution under duress under the influence rape? Like, it's clearly unethical from the landlady, but it's unclear exactly what form of unethical, and she's clearly trying to become a better person. I'd condemn the hell out of it in real life, but in fiction, kinda complicated, and people can change a lot more easy in fiction.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

Well, slap cat ears on my head and call me Neko Neko Wai, they did it! They actually did have sex that first night!

I was certain the author was going to pull the old "oh she was drunk and doesn't remember what happened so I'll tell her we had sex even though we didn't" cliché trope. But they avoided it!

Turns out this manga wasn't THAT wholesome after all, hyuk hyuk hyuk. (๑*ω*๑)

joined Dec 5, 2019

and Kozuka is becoming gayer and gayer, it won't be long before she notices "how long her eyelashes are"

I've always wondered about the "she has such long eyelashes" trope in yuri manga. Is this a Japanese thing, or are all yuri mangaka just copying that line off each other's works?

I always consider it a sign that the girl is recognizing the other one's features, and instead of saying "she has nice boobs" or " damn, that's ass for daaaays." they go with wholesome eyelashes.
But really, I think it's just something they add even as a joke nowadays since almost every series has the "eyelashes" moment, maybe a remnant of the class S where they were tentative into making the girls actually find the other girls hot, I don't know.

last edited at Jan 19, 2020 3:28PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

We’ve already had “her hair is so smooth” and “she smells nice” in Chapter 3.1, and “her lips are so soft” in 6.1.

Kozuka has arrived at the last stop—she just hasn’t realized it yet.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

We’ve already had “her hair is so smooth” and “she smells nice” in Chapter 3.1, and “her lips are so soft” in 6.1.

Kozuka has arrived at the last stop—she just hasn’t realized it yet.

The last stop is "W-Wait, if you keep touching me there I will--- kyaaaaaaa"

They even went through hand-holding prefecture already

To reply you must either login or sign up.