Forum › Anime season

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

However, in Yuri series it's really hard to tell if the girls are lovers or just being really close friends, even for gay people. Take for an example Manaria Friends, as a yuri fan myself, I really knew there was more than friendship to their relationship, but even with that, I couldn't say it's an outright sexual love and they would get married in the future, so I couldn't prove that they love each other to my heteronormative friend(even with the love potion scene). I honestly don't blame her. I really believe a confession or a kiss was left out intentionally by the anime makers or author. I mostly blame the creators for causing this confusion, I mean, why can't you just decide? is it really gonna affect the sales or story that much if you include a canon lesbian couple in a non-yuri work?

Manaria Friends is somewhat of a special case though. It's a spin-off to a larger franchise that is mostly based on gacha bullshit. Gacha games are designed as waifu generators. What may seem like an obvious decision to us is a legitimately dangerous gamble to the people at Cygames. Making ANY pairings canon (gay, lesbian, straight) is extremely detrimental to keeping up interest for a large portion of pathetic waifu and husbando collectors.

Japan is just especially creepy about this. Their culture also enables "super friendships" and "playing lovers" between girls. These things are slowly shifting, but that's at a snail's pace. They know that the Japanese fans will be satisfied with implications and subtext as they always are.

I'm rather conflicted on Manaria Friends in particular, because you could tell the director/writer was only doing this freaking anime to endorse the ship and have fun with it. They gain almost nothing from making that anime and their decision to only focus on these two and not even go for the actual Rage of Bahamut Mysteria Academy event tells volumes of the purpose of this show. The way they got people to buy it was to bait players with special tickets in the BD release btw.
So overall Cygames has the longest lever here. The fans are gonna buy it either way for the rewards, the continuity is not connected to any of their franchises and the entire purpose of this anime was to ship AnneGrea. Then why did they still not have the guts to cross the line? I think... Cygames just doesn't want to set a precedent. They don't want to be the first ones to make a commitment like that. Because the second they do, all the shippers in the world will point at Manaria Friends and say "You did it for these two, why the hell can't you do it for my ship too??"

For all their money, influence and exploitative tactics, Cygames is still the most afraid of taking risks.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 5:42AM

C3784868-0dc9-4f27-ae0c-dbc09a53b843
joined Oct 16, 2019

I was really into Madoka Magica in 2015/16, but idk I don‘t feel like watching that side story at all. Maybe it‘s because of the growing hype around it.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

It's important to consider that Japan, the source of most of this manga and anime we consume is actually less LGBTQ+ friendly than a considerable number of western countries. There's culturally acceptable phenonema like S-.

When consuming Yuri, it's important to keep in mind that the genre was born in a culture with different norms and quirks. It's a genre that's evolving to this day. Maybe one day we'll see more kiss scenes that are designed for tittilation of the audience but a confirmation of affection between two characters.

Considering Japan's highly homophobic society, sometimes it crosses to me that it's a miracle that we got the yuri genre(Imagine if Anime was chinese lol.), and that's why I love yuri and hate when people treat it like a sexual genre. All those yuri authors kept fighting and writing stories despite of the discrimination and hate they got, I really do respect them.

However, in Yuri series it's really hard to tell if the girls are lovers or just being r
Manaria Friends is somewhat of a special case though. It's a spin-off to a larger franchise that is mostly based on gacha bullshit. Gacha games are designed as waifu generators. What may seem like an obvious decision to us is a legitimately dangerous gamble to the people at Cygames. Making ANY pairings canon (gay, lesbian, straight) is extremely detrimental to keeping up interest for a large portion of pathetic waifu and husbando collectors.

Japan is just especially creepy about this. Their culture also enables "super friendships" and "playing lovers" between girls. These things are slowly shifting, but that's at a snail's pace. They know that the Japanese fans will be satisfied with implications and subtext as they always are.

I'm rather conflicted on Manaria Friends in particular, because you could tell the director/writer was only doing this freaking anime to endorse the ship and have fun with it. They gain almost nothing from making that anime and their decision to only focus on these two and not even go for the actual Rage of Bahamut Mysteria Academy event tells volumes of the purpose of this show. The way they got people to buy it was to bait players with special tickets in the BD release btw.
So overall Cygames has the longest lever here. The fans are gonna buy it either way for the rewards, the continuity is not connected to any of their franchises and the entire purpose of this anime was to ship AnneGrea. Then why did they still not have the guts to cross the line? I think... Cygames just doesn't want to set a precedent. They don't want to be the first ones to make a commitment like that. Because the second they do, all the shippers in the world will point at Manaria Friends and say "You did it for these two, why the hell can't you do it for my ship too??"

For all their money, influence and exploitative tactics, Cygames is still the most afraid of taking risks.

That makes sense to everything, When I was watching the anime I was like, come on? they're gay right? is it that hard to have them kiss each other? well, it turns out it might upset lots of fans who consume their products(even tho it might upset the minority who support yuri.), It's really a tough job to please a fandom, when you make a franchise or a work and not set it in stone that the main characters are gay in the beggining, it might piss off a great deal of fans because they might feel deluded(the case with RWBY, no one cared or complained about the yuri shippers in the first volumes because they thought their ship would never happen but the moment it did, you see lots of fans rage out against them and the creators like they deceived or betrayed them, and accuse yuri fans of being fanatics when it's clear that they are in the minority and blame the story writing to cover their homophobia), but it's also tough for gay people when you give them obvious hints that heteronormative people can't pick up and then mislead them in the end, but since they're in the minority, maybe it's not that important for the creators, they only need to bait them with what little they have for them to feel they are being represented.

last edited at Jan 5, 2020 6:10PM

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Kandagawa Jet Girls had the best finale of the shows that aired the previous season, go watch it.

There's also an OVA that comes out in 9 days.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I was really into Madoka Magica in 2015/16, but idk I don‘t feel like watching that side story at all. Maybe it‘s because of the growing hype around it.

If that helps you, the game itself is not good, like crappy gameplay, awful sprites, blah, blah, blah, but the story is one aspect that stands out the most, of course, we're talking about an adaptation, but if they somewhat follow the game, it will be fantastic.

Also, someone on internet said this was going to be a 26 episodes series, however, an more reliable source begs to differ.

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

Also, someone on internet said this was going to be a 26 episodes series, however, an more reliable source begs to differ.

Speculation is that it's going to be split-cour. 13 episodes now, takes a break for a season or two, then another 12 or 13 episodes

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

TifalovesAerith posted:

If that helps you, the game itself is not good, like crappy gameplay, awful sprites, blah, blah, blah

Common. The game isn't that bad. It's 100 times better in almost every aspect compare to FGO where devs don't give any fuck about anything else than money and only reason their game is a success is because it's based on Fate franchise. The game is garbage without those characters and setting.

but the story is one aspect that stands out the most, of course, we're talking about an adaptation, but if they somewhat follow the game, it will be fantastic.

I don't see why they wouldn't follow the game. Sure it's not 100% faithful adaptation (manga is), but it still adopts source material and the fact they actually try to fit the story to anime format and medium, rather than just copy past it from game, gives me even more confidence the anime will be great. Also I think the changes they made actually makes more sense in the story.

Hylarn posted:

Speculation is that it's going to be split-cour. 13 episodes now, takes a break for a season or two, then another 12 or 13 episodes

That would make sense as there are currently 2 arcs going and first one should easily fit into 13 episodes season, so second one would probably air once arc 2 concludes in the game.

last edited at Jan 8, 2020 7:57AM

--itou-chika-and-matsuoka-miu-ichigo-mashimaro-drawn-by-shinjiro--sample
joined Jan 1, 2014

Kandagawa Jet Girls had the best finale of the shows that aired the previous season, go watch it.

There's also an OVA that comes out in 9 days.

Yuri end is always the best end.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Imagine if they decide to NOT add Lily https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-08/live-action-wasteful-days-of-high-school-girl-series-casts-nana-asakawa-mei-hata/.155142 maybe they're just saving her for the second half...maybe.

The azur lane guys couldn't leave the work of animation to others so they started their own animation studio lo/ https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-08/azur-lane-yostar-establishes-animation-studio/.15514

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The azur lane guys couldn't leave the work of animation to others so they started their own animation studio lo/ https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-08/azur-lane-yostar-establishes-animation-studio/.15514

Oh cool, so we finally get no yuri from the right hands instead of no yuri from the wrong hands.

Bondage%20fairies%20collection%20%20%20%232%20-%20page%204
joined Dec 16, 2013

azur lane yuri is dead! china killed it.

what Hirao Auri anime?!! didn't see that coming.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37890

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Oshi ga Budoukan Ittekuretara Shinu adapation is very good. And gay.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Aaaaayyyy looks like our L2D $$$$$$ will be put to good use. seriously check the chat on any room! You will see at LEAST 2 $kins on secretary

Heavy%20cruiser%20160
joined Apr 27, 2013

...It was certainly well-made, but I found it hard to watch. Hardcore fans are creepy. And at the moment I'm not entirely sure the girls like each other romantically (though, given the mangaka, they probably do)

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Ohhhh, I didn't even know Budokan had a known yuri author behind it.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I can hardly stand cringe, so this first episode made me suffer a lot, but I think it has potential. It's at least kind of realistic on how idol fans actually are and it has enough gay subtext to keep me hooked.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

BugDevil posted:

I can hardly stand cringe

I'm not fan of it as well. I couldn't finish WataMote anime because of that. My first impression of MC wasn't that good with how ridiculous she was behaving. Her first having a nosebleed and then breaking a arm, really strained my suspension of disbelief and made me question how realistic really this anime wants to be, but then characters grow on me and ultimately I finished it liking it. I find the idol girl MC is crushing on really cute.

last edited at Jan 10, 2020 9:27AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

BugDevil posted:

I can hardly stand cringe

I'm not fan of it as well. I couldn't finish WataMote anime because of that. My first impression of MC wasn't that good with how ridiculous she was behaving. Her first having a nosebleed and then breaking a arm, really strained my suspension of disbelief and made me question how realistic really this anime wants to be, but then characters grow on me and ultimately I finished it liking it. I find the idol girl MC is crushing on really cute.

Yeah the nosebleed part made me seriously stop the video for a moment, something I almost never do. So awkward.
The second half of the episode was way funnier and you can tell that Maina is definitely interested in our ridiculous MC. And as this show acknowledges guys exist, their attraction feels even more validated than the usual all girls idol shows.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

This isn't going to be easy. I can't take cringe comedy either, and the soul-sucking nothingness of the idol industry setting goes real fine with it. The end was unexpectedly sweet though.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

First episode of Magia Record was already great, but second one is simply amazing. Best adaptation I have ever seen and I already consider it one of my favorite animes of all time.

last edited at Jan 11, 2020 6:08PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

First episode of Magia Record was already great, but second one is simply amazing. Best adaptation I have ever seen and I already consider it one of my favorite animes of all time.

'bout to sit my gay ass down and watch the first episode myself. I got hooked on the game, wish that they'd hurry up and unlock Iroha's ability to hit 5 star and doppel, I already have Yachiyo maxed out and doppel'd and waiting for her gf to catch the hell up, lol.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

shadesofgreymoon posted:

I got hooked on the game, wish that they'd hurry up and unlock Iroha's ability to hit 5 star and doppel, I already have Yachiyo maxed out and doppel'd and waiting for her gf to catch the hell up, lol.

Given our insane NA pace, we should be getting her this month. Also same xD Iroha is on max lvl Magia since forever. Can't wait for Iroha x Yachiyo as well.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

I'm probably the only one who watches MHA here but I just wanted to say that I'm very sad with this arc adaptation, in terms of animation is mostly special effects in static pictures, and flash of lights with rumbling ... And we were thinking that they saved the best for this one episode but no, it was ... less than what we know they can do and they only made it look great for like 15 seconds. And when you think about Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fire Force and how they tried to improve what the manga did (And succeeded) you would think that one of the most popular and successful shonen of the decade, after a year of break and uneventful start of the season(mostly talking) would deliver something good but I guess, the hype was too high.

I was more excited watching the Haikyuu ovas than MHA this week, but at least the girl was saved so that's fine...

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu is very cute but it's better to not think about it too seriously because the game mechanics are very arbitrary and convenient haha.

Bangdream had a good start, I really like the twist they did because unlike other idol shows these feels like they're working towards something bigger (kind of like the avengers) and not just repeat the same formula with different girls.

I'm yet to see MAgia Record, not sure if I should wait for the BDs as I like to do for the special ones... And there's so many others I'm yet to see this season like 22/7 and the one about fashion... I don't really have the time

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Serenata posted:

I'm probably the only one who watches MHA

I was watching it until One For All was defeated. It really felt like that was supposed to be what series will be building towards and the final obstacle, so when this plot thread was concluded in very satisfying way, I lost any interest in watching series anymore. I know Shigaraki was supposed to be true villain from the very start, but I can't help to feel, what I feel. Also I had some issues with setting already and especially hearing spoilers what happens later, really made me feel like this series is vastly overrated and isn't really as clever and good as people make it to be.

I'm very sad with this arc adaptation, in terms of animation is mostly special effects in static pictures, and flash of lights with rumbling

That's shame to hear. I actually felt adaptation was really good.

Kimetsu no Yaiba

Idk. I was unimpressed with it. For a Ufotable series, there was way too much blatant CGI, that just took me out from the fights. I felt like it was actually animated pretty lazily for the most part. It does look pretty, but I felt like what mattered the most, aka fights, was often half-assed.

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu is very cute but it's better to not think about it too seriously because the game mechanics are very arbitrary and convenient haha.

Yea. Some ideas are k, but that poison resistance and advanced durability build way too fast. The girl is cute though. It is probably aiming more to be a lighthearted CGDCS meets iyashikei kind of anime than anything taking itself seriously.

Also, shadesofgreymoon, you're free to follow me if you want, I'll follow you back.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

shadesofgreymoon posted:

I got hooked on the game, wish that they'd hurry up and unlock Iroha's ability to hit 5 star and doppel, I already have Yachiyo maxed out and doppel'd and waiting for her gf to catch the hell up, lol.

Given our insane NA pace, we should be getting her this month. Also same xD Iroha is on max lvl Magia since forever. Can't wait for Iroha x Yachiyo as well.

I've level maxed my Kyouko, Sayaka, and Homura, tho out of that bunch only Homura has her doppel cuz it's so damn resource expensive and I don't like to pay real money, lol. Working on Mami and Madoka next... Only Iroha and Yachiyo have all 4 card slots open though.

Also I'm dumb and don't know how to add people....

To reply you must either login or sign up.