Forum › Come Rain or Shine discussion

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

And the reboot kinda seems not right. Feels rushed and less funny

Rushed is like the less appropriate thing to said because if anything it's longer and explain more than the original.

This new version seem more serious to me.

It's because there is less distorted faces and the art is less messy but there is nomuch difference in tone between what happen in Ch.1 Reboot and Ch.1 Original.

last edited at Dec 29, 2019 8:46AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

krasane posted:

Only thing that kinda irritates me with this author is how utterly proficient the side characters are at hampering the main couples attempts to advance their relationship.

Well, if we go by the original, that shouldn't be a problem in this particular one... As the side characters seem to be very gay too and they become aware of the main couple's feelings pretty soon

Also I agree "Rushed" is the worse term to describe this remake... For starters, both first chapters have around 40 pages, in fact, the remake has more plot with 42 and the first one had 40 but excluding the extras is like 37 and that's just going by the numbers because plot wise they both start at the same point and end the same way too, except that the new manga decided to add super cute jealous Nekozaki scene at the end instead of just one panel of her saying "Get out of here REEEEEEEEEE"

last edited at Dec 29, 2019 9:40AM

Screenshot%202020-08-05%20at%209.30.03%20pm
joined Nov 21, 2019

I'll probably continue reading this, but I think I preferred the chaotic comedic tone of the original. Then again, this is only the first chapter so maybe later chapters will have the more cartoony feel of the first series.

Photo-1445
joined Dec 15, 2011

Eh, it's literally the first chapter of the reboot, so no guarantee it's going to stay this serious anyway. Tone shifts, sometimes wildly. I'm reminded of Sasameki Koto (of all things, why that specifically came to mind I don't know), where the first chapter is the main character being morose and dramatic over her unrequited love, and then after that turns into a school-life comedy with the periodic dip into drama.

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

Reboot? What happened to the older series?

Apparently the magazine it was running in went full ecchi/lewd, so she had to start it again somewhere else.

Thank god it managed to land somewhere else, Arata Iri's artstyle is so cool that having it taken away from us would be a national disgrace.

I'm enjoying this version a bit more than the original. The main couple is a bit gayer and the other characters don't feel as bombastic as in the original. Plus the artstyle seems to be a bit more refined, which is awesome.

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

This... this is perfect.

Smallerpfp
joined Nov 26, 2019

I actually like the more romantic moments here, a nice mix of funniness and like, absolutely beautiful intimacy. I'm game. The first was one I was eagerly awaiting for updates, so a chance to redo it (and continue it further more importantly) is awesome, can't wait.

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

I'm so glad the author decided to keep it up even after it got cancelled. I really like this manga. This reboot seems a little more serious, and the art improved too, I love it.

joined Aug 1, 2018

I had hope during the first half of the chapter, but no, the annoying side characters still showed up in the reboot. Urgh, they irritate me so much.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

wow this is adorable. the art is really nice. i especially like all of the cartoony/chibi panels.

i hadnt read/heard of the previous series so im looking forward to this. i'll probably hold off on reading the original for now. i'll get too spoiled by the backlog and then have to wait ages for this to catch up.

the only Arata Iri series i've read is Noroi no Aoi-chan. should I read anything else? do people like Comprehensive Tovarisch?

Images
joined Aug 19, 2018

This version also seems like it'll be less comedy-focused, judging by the lack of silly faces. I do like the insanity of Arata Iri's other works, but I'm curious to see how she'll write a more serious (maybe) story.

Yeah, to me, this chapter is less funny and much gayer, which is an ok balance for. I honestly don't know if I like it more, because I loved the comedy stylings before, but I also love the romance here. So fucking torn now, but I can't wait to see what happens next

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

runrin posted:

wow this is adorable. the art is really nice. i especially like all of the cartoony/chibi panels.

i hadnt read/heard of the previous series so im looking forward to this. i'll probably hold off on reading the original for now. i'll get too spoiled by the backlog and then have to wait ages for this to catch up.

the only Arata Iri series i've read is Noroi no Aoi-chan. should I read anything else? do people like Comprehensive Tovarisch?

You should totally read Comprehensive Tovarisch, it has a very nice tone and nice ending that at first you think it's rushed, but thanks to the MANY post ending bonus chapters it feels complete and super satisfying.

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Adressing without honorific is soooo strange. SOOOOO strange
When reading I just add -san in my mind so it wouldn't hurt so much

the omission of honorifics is probably a translation style decision more than the author changing the ways characters address one another. I've heard compelling arguments for doing it either way. afaik, not including them provides a more "correct" translation, but im a weeb and like to know what people use bc i feel like it provides insight into how characters feel about one another.

last edited at Dec 29, 2019 2:48PM

The%20scientist%20edit
joined Mar 9, 2013

Some of us waited a near decade for someone to finish translating Comprehensive Tovarisch. It was worth it.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

runrin posted:

i'll probably hold off on reading the original for now. i'll get too spoiled by the backlog and then have to wait ages for this to catch up.

There's only 5 chapters of original, so this one should catch up really fast.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

We restarting? I'm very OK with this. This author's worlds are so much fun.

I prefer the original version more. I really like the fast-pace chaotic character-driven style the author normally uses; it is like reading a Terry Pratchett novel.

This one was too slow, and the characters were not detailed enough without the chaotic element/asides used.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Looks like it's off to a good yuri start. I can't wait for more. I had no idea about this being a reboot, and I'm curious about the old version, but I like it so far.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

This one was too slow, and the characters were not detailed enough without the chaotic element/asides used.

How come it's "too slow" ? It have only 4 pages more than the original. Man, between the "it's rushed" and "it's too slow" i don't know what to think. FInd a common ground. And if anything i rather not have the distorted faces and messy elements because it's disturbing and don't really help to understand what happen.

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

I certainly enjoyed the humor of the first one but honestly I like the more romantic tone this one has

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Reboot? What happened to the older series?

Apparently the magazine it was running in went full ecchi/lewd, so she had to start it again somewhere else.

.....ummmm... What magazine was it running in before?.... asking for a friend not my own personal interests heheh

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

Soo, yeah, now I read both first chapters side-by-side and gotta say:

1) I don't care it's a reboot - it's Arata Iri.
2) The things "missing" and the new things added equal out overall.
3) ...somehow, it's much prettier. Was pretty before, but Arata-sama really managed to up herself one.
4) There's still slapstick, but imo the timing is now much better.
5) Ren is love <3

Reading them side-by-side actually made me double-happy, because some dialogue, framing and circumstance changes (some more subtle than others) kinda shift some motives and themes from the previous version now (further) into a direction that delights me very much.
The hug gave me pause, before concluding the hug from behind instead of the "fake-out-kiss" was much more... intimate / telling in its own way .-.

Overall: So far, it's a really good reboot. It has the same beats as the previous edition, but (to me) it has a better flow now. If author-sama keeps up with redrawing entire pages, I am sure there will be a lot more character- and plot surprises / details even for those who read the previous version.
I'm sold.

last edited at Jan 2, 2020 5:32PM

Killer%20queen
joined Jun 25, 2015

I love this reboot and most of all I love Arata-sensei. After reading once again Comprehensive Tovarisch and Noroi no Aoi-chan again I was brooding over Todo no Tsumari no Uchouten's "cancellation". I'm so happy it has a reboot, hopefully this time it reaches its desired conclusion :D

Rsz_1screenshot_7
joined Aug 23, 2015

think i prefer this over the og version

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

Ah of course, Arari Iri.

To reply you must either login or sign up.