Forum › The Next Big Yuri?

joined Mar 18, 2018

Both 'Citrus' & 'Bloom into you' have probably been the kings of the yuri manga for a long time now (For obvious reasons), but now with both of them officially over. Which yuri manga/anime do you guys think will take the third spot?
Personally i feel like it would be ether 'Hana Ni Arashi' or 'Adachi and Shimamura'. They might be a little lighter on the drama side but i think they still tell a good enough story with likable characters and nice art styles.~
i could absolutely also put Poor Poor Lips on this list as well but i feel like a lot of people haven't really heard or know about it...
Thoughts?

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 7:58AM

joined Jun 12, 2015

There is only one king of yuri and it's Namori's Yuru Yuri. Nothing ever came close to it with popularity and sales.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

There is only one king of yuri and it's Namori's Yuru Yuri. Nothing ever came close to it with popularity and sales.

That's a silly comedy with no real ambition more than gags and laugh. I don't hate Yuru Yuri but i can't picturemyself calling it "king of Yuri" if that title had any means.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Shouldn't yuri have a queen rather than a king?

Or better yet, an empress?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

A lot of the most popular nowadays (like, those that sell a lot) feel like they'll never be true yuri ... like Demon Girl next door, manaria friends, Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! or new game, they just push it to the limit like in case they have to make excuses laters... Even yuru yuri and That girl who likes boobs.

To be honest I would love if Otome no Teitoku or Adachi to shimamura take their place... It's been a long time since I've read Hana Ni Arashi. And also, there's Whispering you A Love Song but is just starting.

I've heard futaribeya is pretty good too

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I'd honestly like to see something outside of Japan becoming popular and getting the title.
90% of the mangas feel the same. A school setting with basic plot and typecasted characters.
You need to look for really hard to find a good story amongst all of the repetitive ones.

Wish manhwas started getting animated too.
Anyway, right now I'd say the best ones are Lily Marble and Hana ni Arashi. Useless princesses is also good, but not as much as the other two.

There's also the Webtoon Mage and Demon Queen which is awesome. It's a fantasy story but with yuri pairing instead.
And last but certainly not least, the latest one I've discovered, Her Shim Cheong. This one reminds me a bit of LOK and would make a fantastic anime adaptation. Full fledged story with yuri pairing

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 9:28AM

67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

Both 'Citrus' & 'Bloom into you' have probably been the kings of the yuri manga for a long time now (For obvious reasons), but now with both of them officially over. Which yuri manga/anime do you guys think will take the third spot?

You do know that Citrus has a continuation in citrus plus, right? And that citrus plus became the first Yuri manga to have a simultaneous release in multiple countries and languages?

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 10:07AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Which manhwas ? Koreans ones tend to have a big proportion to full course dramas and Chinese one can be more ligh heart but are silly and very long for some.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

"So, Do You Want to Go Out, Or?". It's about slightly older people, it's not 404, it's maturely written and doesn't run on melodrama or stereotypes.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Which manhwas ? Koreans ones tend to have a big proportion to full course dramas and Chinese one can be more ligh heart but are silly and very long for some.

I mean in general, because manhwas feature adults and more real situations/characters.
I don't know much about manhuas though.
But if you want an example, like I said her shim cheong would be epic.
Also in a more everyday life situations stuff like It Would be great if you didn't exist.
I don't know about the Korean drama i keep reading. To me they just seem normal? Anyway, at least something happens. I'd take drama over stupid and overplayed stuff.

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 11:03AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

To me they just seem normal?
her shim cheong

Dunno what your definition of normal is about that. Shim Cheong is really heavy on drama. As for examples, Her Pet (Pito), Blooming Sequence or even It would be great you didn't exist.

joined Dec 9, 2014

Dunno what your definition of normal is about that. Shim Cheong is really heavy on drama. As for examples, Her Pet (Pito), Blooming Sequence or even It would be great you didn't exist.

I didn't say her shim is normal on drama. Regarding that, I was referring to a manhwa I'd like to see animated.
Normal I meant something like IWBGIYDE. It does have drama but it's on normal levels.
If something has absolutely no drama, then it's like Yuru Yuri or idol anime, which I find boring.

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 11:49AM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

then it's like Yuru Yuri

I mean it's a 4koma CGDCT, it's pretty much a given there will be little to no drama. Might i suggest you going throught Adult Life tag.

I've heard futaribeya is pretty good too

It is and honestly i couldn't recommend it more. I feel like it has gone a bit under the radar in the west.

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 11:59AM

joined Dec 9, 2014

Might i suggest you going throught Adult Life tag.

I've gone through that and there aren't many stories. I've also searched for office lady tag.
If only mangakas put half of the effort they put in creating loli.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Might i suggest you going throught Adult Life tag.

I've gone through that and there aren't many stories. I've also searched for office lady tag.
If only mangakas put half of the effort they put in creating loli.

Lolis ? Don't start to mistake High school setup and Lolis, that's clearly not the same thing. You clearly seem to me like someone who prefer Drama or Angst manga rather than fluffy one.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

A lot of the most popular nowadays (like, those that sell a lot) feel like they'll never be true yuri ... like Demon Girl next door, manaria friends, Watashi ni Tenshi ga Maiorita! or new game, they just push it to the limit like in case they have to make excuses laters... Even yuru yuri and That girl who likes boobs.

It's cannonical that Momo is in love with Shamiko in Demon Girl Next Door, but I'm not sure how or when the author will develop it into something physical.

I'm just glad yuri is a thing. My first yuri was Marimite, which did a lot of dancing around and implying compared to modern shows. That and Utena.

joined Dec 9, 2014

Lolis ? Don't start to mistake High school setup and Lolis, that's clearly not the same thing.

I never said it is? But a lot of the time highschool girls are presented as lolis. You know, 13 yo with big boobs etc. Or very petite and cute. Nothing creepy about that.
I don't mind HS stories as long as the characters don't feel like caricatures.

You clearly seem to me like someone who prefer Drama or Angst manga rather than fluffy one.

Oh yes, I definitely do. The thing is, I can't find as many stories with drama and/or angst as I can find with fluff.

joined May 1, 2013

I agree, Hani Ni Arashi seems to be catching on. The writing is fiiiinnneee, but it's the art style (Chidori's design is especially unique and cute) that is catching on.

I also tend to like adult life stuff... my personal favorite right now is 2DK, G-pen, Alarm Clock, but that doesn't seem too popular around here, possibly because of its stupid-ass name. But it's got a really likable protagonist and, even though it's not like super deep, it's more complex than your typical fare.
Speaking of which, I second So Do You Want To Go Out, Or...?, which has a very appealing art style. I also like how it's portraying a couple with, like, more real-life problems than most yuri, but in the process features two characters who communicate better than almost any other manga couple I can think of. There's nothing approaching "What are these strange feelings??" here, thank god.

The most popular new thing seems to be Tadorokoro-san, which is pretty fluffy but avoids being too trite.

joined Jul 1, 2018

If hanigare ever gets past the arc it’s in now and becomes a romance that would for sure be the top yuri.

igenetycs Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Aug 14, 2019

If hanigare ever gets past the arc it’s in now and becomes a romance that would for sure be the top yuri.

Honestly, not even counting the whole "it's not a yuri" tweet, I think Nettaigyo totally killed its momentum with the recent chapters. I don't think I've ever read a less enjoyable angst fest.

joined Jul 1, 2018

Honestly, not even counting the whole "it's not a yuri" tweet, I think Nettaigyo totally killed its momentum with the recent chapters. I don't think I've ever read a less enjoyable angst fest.

Tbh the “it’s not yuri” thing is probably her way of saying that she’s not taking the conventional route towards the romance. After re reading the arc we’re in, I think it’s so frustrating because the two MCs can’t understand their feelings because they don’t know what they are. Idk, I kind of feel a romance coming in there but I honestly have no idea where the story is going.

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 2:27PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

adamatari posted:

It's cannonical that Momo is in love with Shamiko in Demon Girl Next Door, but I'm not sure how or when the author will develop it into something physical.

But that's just like Yuru yuri, there's at least 6 with obvious love crush... But will they ever develop further than that? If Ayano and TOSHINO KYOKOOO get together I would be the happiest person on earth but we'll have to wait to the very eeeend and then we'll have discussion about the implications of ai shiteru vs daisuki

I would love if Nettaigyo makes it romantic or at least obvious enough, an anime would be great but I think the next 2 chapters will decide the fate of that manga.

there's also Saki I guess... is full of them XD

Anyway, I'll resume with Hana ni Arashi as soon as possible (I was waiting for the senpai came back out of nowhere arc to end).

last edited at Dec 1, 2019 2:43PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Adachi and Shimamura has a good chance thanks to the upcoming anime, I guess.

Webp.net-resizeimage%20(1)
joined Jan 7, 2018

Adachi to Shimamura, Bright and Cherry Amnesia(it's already perfect it only needs a fucking anime!) , Hino-san no baka, Sekai de Ichiban Oppai ga Suki.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Is there even a point in finding new big yuri? Everyone can enjoy whatever they like, no?

To reply you must either login or sign up.