Forum › New Game discussion

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Hello everyone. I'd like to take a moment of your time to introduce this new, young and talented artist to the team. And as a way to further show how little I care for the work you have loyally performed for this company over the years, I'm going to yave her design the face of the game. Thank's for your time, and fuck you all.

This. I mean Kou giving Aoba a chance to design "Sophie" an NPC seemed realistic but Hotaru just joined the company- has no experience in game character design but yeah fuck all the others, Hotaru you draw our big theme. Makes total sense. And Catherine is a businesswoman, she is only looking out for her company that dialogue made total sense after the Hotaru fiasco.

I think the big difference between Aoba and Hotaru is we've had it hammered into our heads since the very first mention of her that Hotaru is some sort of artistic savant where as Aoba had no where near that level of raw talent. I think Hotaru's arc will likely revolve around how little actual work experience she has and her struggle to adapt her artistic talents to an actual commercial project. There are a lot of genius artists out there with tremendous talent that don't make very good commercial illustrators because they are unable to reconcile their passion and sense of aesthetics with those of the client's. Imagine trying to get Monet or Salvador Dali to design the logo and box art for a new brand of kids cereal.

My ex girl friend is a very gifted artist to the point she had a relatively famous band approach her to do the cover art for their next album because they loved her work so much, but the stress of working for someone else was just to much for her so she turned down the project. Being a very talented artist doesn't always equate to being successful as a commercial designer but if you can find a truly gifted artist that is able to adapt their talents to a commercial setting they will become a tremendous asset. Raw talent cannot be taught. Catherine is certainly taking a gamble that her new diamond in the rough can be polished into an amazing asset for her company, but it doesn't make what she is doing stupid.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Why does every subtext story I follow have to get exponentially more gay with each chapter?

last edited at Oct 3, 2019 2:29AM

joined Apr 26, 2016

In this chapter Aoba tries to stop a break up

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

In this chapter Aoba tries to stop a break up

last edited at Oct 3, 2019 10:55AM

006%20(1)
joined Aug 11, 2019

Chap 93:

joined Jul 26, 2016
Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Aren't they already married?

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

Yun's a little too busy looking out for everyone else...

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Yun
Being nice at her own expense since 2015

EDIT:
Wait. Shit! Did I phrase that correctly?
Is the message I'm trying to convey conveyed, or is it something else?

last edited at Oct 10, 2019 12:40AM

joined Mar 15, 2015

Does Catherine remind anyone else of Catherine from Fire Emblem: Three Houses(not just the name, but also the hair and skin tone)?

joined Jun 5, 2018

Did anyone compare the artstyle of the first few chapters and the latest ones? I never noticed how it has changed from a more mature style to more moe.

joined Jun 5, 2018

Why does every subtext story I follow have to get exponentially more gay with each chapter?

This is in fact incorrect. I can mathematically prove that the gayness of this series does not diverge strictly to infinity, thus it cannot grow exponentially.

Let g(n) a real number that describes the gayness and n the number of chapter.
Since your observation is indeed correct, that the relationship develops more with each chapter - at least on average - we need to prove the convergence of the series.
Let N be an positive integer so that g(N) = boderline explicit content (e.g. kissing). Since we know that no more than fanservice can be content of the manga, let epsilon be a real number bigger than 0. we know that for all n > N the gayness can be written as |g(n) - g(N)| <= |g(n) - Gay| < epsilon, which statisfies the criteria (or in this case, is in fact the definition of convergence) for convergence. q.e.d.

last edited at Nov 2, 2019 3:43PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Did anyone compare the artstyle of the first few chapters and the latest ones? I never noticed how it has changed from a more mature style to more moe.

I’m not particularly seeing it. Could you post comparison images or links to illustrate what you’re talking about?

I think the earlier chapters are more detailed in the backgrounds (there are more later panels with no backgrounds or simpler ones, I think), but I tend to locate “moe” in the character designs and I don’t see much change there, except maybe the eyes tend to get a little larger.

Having less detail and eyes getting larger strike me as pretty typical changes over time in longer comedy manga.

joined Jun 5, 2018

I’m not particularly seeing it. Could you post comparison images or links to illustrate what you’re talking about?

I think the earlier chapters are more detailed in the backgrounds (there are more later panels with no backgrounds or simpler ones, I think), but I tend to locate “moe” in the character designs and I don’t see much change there, except maybe the eyes tend to get a little larger.

Having less detail and eyes getting larger strike me as pretty typical changes over time in longer comedy manga.

Although a different character, just look at the profile of the face of this one
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/new_game_ch02#2
and this one: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/new_game_ch94

Sure, you could make an argument about the angle youre looking from. But Just going through it, I feel like I could notice how the faces in the earlier stages were less "round" than now. (I hope you get the point)

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

UI duty, oof

Screen%20shot%202020-03-21%20at%203.08.23%20pm
joined Apr 25, 2019

This arc is seriously making me want to drop the manga more and more. Don't get me wrong. I know Aoba was given UI Design and how important 'Game UI' Design is and in fact, it's more important than some character design. But how the hell did they seriously believed that the company would collapse if they kept doing what they did to Aoba during PECO? What the actual hell is marketing team thinking? For goddess's sake, they are making game with newbie director and not well-known character designer. Reputation of someone well-known is not something that they should ignore in the godforsaken game they are making.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

If the game doesn't sell it's gonna be a HUGE blow to Hajime's pride and it could destroy Momiji's confidence, but overall it could be a great chance for grown...Will they dare to do it? it doesn't have to be a disaster of course, but I think showing the team how hard it can be to make a successful hit would help. And I don't mind Aoba doing the UI, I bet is not something she thought she would do but Yagami did them too (seriously she was too OP).

And I'm looking forward to what comes next too, like beyond this arc... Waiting for Vol 10raws

Kuvl_u-8
joined Nov 1, 2015

This arc is seriously making me want to drop the manga more and more. Don't get me wrong. I know Aoba was given UI Design and how important 'Game UI' Design is and in fact, it's more important than some character design. But how the hell did they seriously believed that the company would collapse if they kept doing what they did to Aoba during PECO? What the actual hell is marketing team thinking? For goddess's sake, they are making game with newbie director and not well-known character designer. Reputation of someone well-known is not something that they should ignore in the godforsaken game they are making.

put all your eggs in the same basket by leaving all the hard work to the famous person, and you will deeply regret it if she happen to leave the company. helping the newbys grow is really important for the future.

and lets be honest you don't really remember the name of the character designer or art designer. you'll rememeber studio X produced a great game and maybe the game's director name but often no more than that.

joined Apr 25, 2019

put all your eggs in the same basket by leaving all the hard work to the famous person, and you will deeply regret it if she happen to leave the company. helping the newbys grow is really important for the future.

Certainly, helping newbies grow is important for future. But giving all important roles to newbies despite having someone well known in the team? Moreover, just recently and recommended by the company 'Face' Kou Yagami just before she leave? Then people would be extremely disappointed when they heard the news. They would be expecting more from Aoba after Kou's 'stunt'. It's good in a way that people would be lowering their expectation for the game

and lets be honest you don't really remember the name of the character designer or art designer. you'll rememeber studio X produced a great game and maybe the game's director name but often no more than that.

What you said is true but you are forgetting in the manga Kou was the face of Eagle Jump before she left. And she introduce Aoba to the people during the introduction of her last project PECO. People would immediately reconize Aoba's name in the project.

That's why they were going to hire a famous illustrators for the key visual of PECO if Kou rejected. For example, you would immediately hype when you heard Hideo Kojima was making a new game if you are a fan of Metal Gear, and making you want to buy the game.

last edited at Nov 14, 2019 5:56AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

That's why they were going to hire a famous illustrators for the key visual of PECO if Kou rejected. For example, you would immediately hype when you heard Hideo Kojima was making a new game if you are a fan of Metal Gear, and making you want to buy the game.

But can you out of hand name any of the people who worked on the graphics on Kojima's games...? Because I sure as shit can't.

It's rather like movies. The average consumer remembers the big-name actors, maybe the director, soundtrack composer if particularly noteworthy, very rarely the scriptwriter(s) and such if separate from the previous - and that'd pretty much it. Only seriously hardcore buffs and industry professionals will be able to recognise anyone from the very long list of assorted technical staff in the credit rolls.

last edited at Nov 14, 2019 10:19AM

joined May 23, 2015

It's also a pretty awful comparison to equate "this famous illustrator did a single piece of promotional artwork for a game" to "this famous game developer is personally making a new game".

The line of thinking has also already directly damaged the company, being one of the initial sparks that got Yagami to consider leaving.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's also a pretty awful comparison to equate "this famous illustrator did a single piece of promotional artwork for a game" to "this famous game developer is personally making a new game".

The line of thinking has also already directly damaged the company, being one of the initial sparks that got Yagami to consider leaving.

The author's desire to get Yagami out of the way and clear the decks for the young'uns to shine strikes me as a more plausible reason for her to move than any in-story rationale.

joined May 23, 2015

That was a big part of the author's reason, sure, but the in-character reasons given include that the company was relying too much solely on her. There were other reasons given as well, but it's also pretty clear that being forced to do the PECO art against her will caused a rift between her and the company. And that she didn't like the company treating her as a product they could sell.

joined Apr 25, 2019

But can you out of hand name any of the people who worked on the graphics on Kojima's games...? Because I sure as shit can't.

Google "Yoji Shinkawa".

You should know we are talking about New Game! It's already unrealistic that Kou was the face of Eagle Jump rather than director Shizuku. In reality, people tend to remember Company, then director. Nothing more than that. Forget about Graphic Designer, they don't tend to remember even Game Actor/Actress. But in New Game, Eagle Jump used Koou as a part of advertisement.

last edited at Nov 15, 2019 1:04AM

joined May 23, 2015

I could name famous illustrators who have done work in the Japanese gaming industry all day long, but could probably count the number of Japanese game directors I know by name on one hand.

For example, I couldn't tell you off hand who directed any of the pokemon games, but I know Ken Sugimori did most of the designs. I couldn't name any of the Persona game directors, but I know the artwork was by Soejima.

Besides, they weren't even trying to sell it on Yagami's name alone. They were trying to sell it as being from the same team that made Fairies, emphasizing both Hazuki AND Yagami's names.

And if Yagami refused, they were still gonna sell it on Hazuki's name, just paired with some different famous illustrator from outside the company.

last edited at Nov 15, 2019 2:12AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.