Forum › An Absurd Relationship discussion

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I won't rank the two in terms of "oh she did worse" or "she was less wrong", because in my eyes both were in the wrong. The biggest problem with Emi in my eyes is the way she sees love. If she was never truly in love with Mihashi, I'd have no problem with it. In the end if she actually was in love, she should be able to stop Mihashi instead of somewhat-sadistically letting her dig her own hole and then ditching her in the end. But in the end that is my own opinion.

Why would Emi have stopped Mihashi when she obviously had no idea Mihashi was having the second affair? She was clearly shocked at the pregnancy announcement, assuming that the pregnancy was with the first dude. How was she supposed to even have a clue that this was a possibility? This ain't a fantasy story where she gets visions of the future.

As to the first relationship, love or not Mihashi is in the socially-approved situation in Japan as we're all well aware of. in that context, Emi doesn't really have the "right" to step in unless Mihashi makes a move. But Mihashi has agency of her own and gives no indication she's about to break things off with him.

Expecting Emi to stop Mihashi digging her own hole is unreasonable in this situation.

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

Why would Emi have stopped Mihashi when she obviously had no idea Mihashi was having the second affair? She was clearly shocked at the pregnancy announcement, assuming that the pregnancy was with the first dude. How was she supposed to even have a clue that this was a possibility? This ain't a fantasy story where she gets visions of the future.

As to the first relationship, love or not Mihashi is in the socially-approved situation in Japan as we're all well aware of. in that context, Emi doesn't really have the "right" to step in unless Mihashi makes a move. But Mihashi has agency of her own and gives no indication she's about to break things off with him.

Expecting Emi to stop Mihashi digging her own hole is unreasonable in this situation.

true, but it half sounds like a lot of the readers want Emi to turn into a knight in shining armor and for her to go "rescue" Mihashi. I suppose if this were more pure romance instead of a "real life" type of situation, I could see that; however, as has been pointed out, Emi was a 3rd party non-participant, so it's none of her business. period.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

fair enough . .

i remember this happen to me back then, this girl wanted to get close to me and slept with my friends who i often hangout with.. by the time i realized it and by her confession .. it was already too late and so foolish of her.. the idea is that my friends told her that they can hook her up with me and told her that i'll notice her if she slept with them. .

your "friends" sound like complete fucking assholes, no offence

Rsz_1rsz_lilylove
joined Jun 5, 2014

true, but it half sounds like a lot of the readers want Emi to turn into a knight in shining armor and for her to go "rescue" Mihashi. I suppose if this were more pure romance instead of a "real life" type of situation, I could see that; however, as has been pointed out, Emi was a 3rd party non-participant, so it's none of her business. period.

Indeed. When two people love/like each other, it's not as though only one of the two can make a move. Emi and Mihashi both could have.
Clearly they both knew that the other had feelings for them. Clearly neither of them made serious moves to express that.

If I'm going to blame Emi for anything, it's staying quiet from the get go about how she felt towards Mihashi. This blame is equally placed on Mihashi since she did the same.

The blame for the affair, pregnancy and subsequent fallout lies solely on Mihashi for me.

Tumblr_inline_nhe8a3uf1f1qd2lvk
joined Aug 15, 2014

what? Why would she do something so irrational?? WTF?! I don't get her... She deserves it though I really like the kissing part.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

fair enough . .

i remember this happen to me back then, this girl wanted to get close to me and slept with my friends who i often hangout with.. by the time i realized it and by her confession .. it was already too late and so foolish of her.. the idea is that my friends told her that they can hook her up with me and told her that i'll notice her if she slept with them. .

your "friends" sound like complete fucking assholes, no offence

^ +1 seriously great "friends"...no offense here either

joined Mar 23, 2013

fair enough . .

Anything to get laid, eh?

Tmp_bh7jrkjcyaakw52-1123006053
joined Apr 15, 2011

fair enough . .

the girl wasn't too bright, now was she? as to your "friends," can you still count them as such?

Images
joined Apr 4, 2012

lol bitch got what she deserved. talk about digging your own grave.

joined Sep 21, 2012

Wow, a Takemiya one shot with an "unhappy" ending. Crazy.

joined Aug 8, 2014

love is a scary thing..

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Harsh, but deserved. You can only burn so many bridges before people stop trying to build them.

Also despite the title I find Emi's reaction to be far more Rational than how most characters would act.

I think the irrational one is the OTHER woman- her actions to be noticed/make Emi jealous were the irrational in the title i'd guess.

last edited at Aug 31, 2014 7:28AM

942301_10151455987491840_2065344422_n
joined Aug 26, 2011

That was really something hahaha intense, love can really be something…..

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

I won't rank the two in terms of "oh she did worse" or "she was less wrong", because in my eyes both were in the wrong. The biggest problem with Emi in my eyes is the way she sees love. If she was never truly in love with Mihashi, I'd have no problem with it. In the end if she actually was in love, she should be able to stop Mihashi instead of somewhat-sadistically letting her dig her own hole and then ditching her in the end. But in the end that is my own opinion.

Alright last clarification comment I swear. Please people try to interpret some things that people write instead of expecting us to spell it out all on our own.

You are wrong in saying Emi had no idea of the second affair. She was shocked at the pregnancy because, you know, protection is a thing. No one can know the future but you don't have to be a psychic to see that Mihashi was digging a massive hole for herself for the sake of Emi, and Emi was at least partially, but completely, aware of such.

I'm not asking for Emi to be a knight in shining armor. Gray area people, gray area. All I know is that she could have given a slight nudge to Mihashi. Not even a confession is necessary. Shoot, if you see a friend doing this, intervening is the right thing to do, so in the end Emi fails to even be a good person in that regard.

Thinking back it's actually an easier solution to the trolley problem...two offshoots: one with a person on it, one with no one you can see. But you have to pull a hard lever to pull to avoid one person on the track you are currently on. Obviously the right thing to do is to not play "bystander" and let the train run over that person.

Honest to goodness advice, completely irrelevant to this debate...don't ever make absolute comments like "Expecting Emi to stop Mihashi...is unreasonable". Because as long as strong proof exists to work against you, that absolute comment turns into a completely asinine one.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Alright last clarification comment I swear. Please people try to interpret some things that people write instead of expecting us to spell it out all on our own.

You are wrong in saying Emi had no idea of the second affair. She was shocked at the pregnancy because, you know, protection is a thing. No one can know the future but you don't have to be a psychic to see that Mihashi was digging a massive hole for herself for the sake of Emi, and Emi was at least partially, but completely, aware of such.

False. It's clear from the context that she assumed the pregnancy was with Sakata as the bottom of this page makes very clear.

http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/irrational_us#5

She had zero idea that there was a second man involved until that moment, nor who it was until the next page.

Since the rest of your argument, including the "trolly problem", seems to rely on this fact, there's no point continuing.

Doggirls-small
joined Jan 2, 2014

How do you get that from the story?

It's clear during the pregnancy announcement scene that Emi knew Mihashi was in a relationship with Sakata. In fact, it seemed common knowledge in their workplace, meaning they were probably open about it. And Emi doesn't look particularly shocked about the pregnancy either.

However, she's genuinely surprised to learn that Mihashi was having an affair on the side (unless you think she's faking it, but I don't buy that). At that point, you can see Emi slowly putting the pieces together, concluding that Mihashi wasn't the person she fell in love with, and deciding she wants nothing to do with her.

And just to be clear on that point: Mihashi wasn't doing anything for the sake of Emi, she was doing it for her own sake.

My_dork__by_vnixxir-d72u531
joined Jun 21, 2013

I'm laughing at most of these comments here. Such indepth arguments when there is really just a simple fact: BOTH characters needed to be more honest with each other. All the problems wouldn't have happened if they were.

Also Jin...a angst ending for a one-shot? You're fantastic. I wish there weren't so many vanilla endings in Yuri; I like me a good heart break now and again.

Mono_a_2kmc
joined Jul 1, 2014

What a drama.)))

Anime-anime-boy-black-and-white-boy-favim.com-1570867
joined May 7, 2014

...I wanna put some tragedy or depressing as fuck here... it toooo drama for me...
First I thought it was het then cheating then... I was like : What the fuck !?!? ..Just can't swallow this even I understand the meaning the artist want to say..but ...just can't swallow this..

joined Sep 9, 2013

I'm not asking for Emi to be a knight in shining armor. Gray area people, gray area. All I know is that she could have given a slight nudge to Mihashi. Not even a confession is necessary. Shoot, if you see a friend doing this, intervening is the right thing to do, so in the end Emi fails to even be a good person in that regard.

Thinking back it's actually an easier solution to the trolley problem...two offshoots: one with a person on it, one with no one you can see. But you have to pull a hard lever to pull to avoid one person on the track you are currently on. Obviously the right thing to do is to not play "bystander" and let the train run over that person.

Honest to goodness advice, completely irrelevant to this debate...don't ever make absolute comments like "Expecting Emi to stop Mihashi...is unreasonable". Because as long as strong proof exists to work against you, that absolute comment turns into a completely asinine one.

I do agree and see exactly where you are coming from. I like this one-shot because it is not that hard to believe people would screw up this much. It is the old evil when good people do nothing. I feel people are easy to forgot their greatest mistakes and how easily they could have been avoided sometimes. This was an interesting read.

Kokkurisanicon
joined Apr 8, 2013

I think I am going to toss a fly in the oiintment... or a monkey in the gears...

What if Emi and Mihashi were a thing before this, and then Mihashi started dating Sakata - or maybe Emi broke up with her because she found out Mihashi was seeing Sakata? Emi's comment about "I would have been happy if it were mine" would make sense then (yes I know both are girls)... It would also make sense for Mihashi's rejection at the end to be all the more crushing since they had been a couple once before.

This is a what-if comment, so don't anyone get worked-up over it, :P

last edited at Sep 2, 2014 9:50AM

Tohka%20not%20crying
joined Jun 6, 2014

False. It's clear from the context that she assumed the pregnancy was with Sakata as the bottom of this page makes very clear.

She had zero idea that there was a second man involved until that moment, nor who it was until the next page.

Since the rest of your argument, including the "trolly problem", seems to rely on this fact, there's no point continuing.

Do you even know the Trolley Problem? Nothing relies on the awareness of the second man. I ask again, don't turn absolutes into asanines.

Your argument would be completely foolproof if not for one thing: What were Sakata and Emi talking about in the beginning? This requires more advanced look and interpretation.

For all we know Emi could have been putting on airs regarding the "shock" pregnancy (shoot we don't even know if the pregnancy was a real thing or just a rumor she started about herself). It's clear she still harbors feelings for Mihashi when the later calls out to her in desperation, and she returns with a sympathizing, loving look. Her thoughts regarding the pregnancy were "I wish it was mine".

Now what in the hell does that imply? How can we connect it with her thoughts of "Couples should just drop dead"? These are questions you have to ask yourself when trying to interpret advanced things as simple as what Sakata and Emi were talking about.

Because if they were talking about people cheating on their significant others, everything in the story still fits, and my argument stands firm.

Please stop trying to act like you've "won" an argument. There is no winning this argument. Neither of us are right, and neither of us are wrong. The story was purposefully left up to interpretation, so that's all we can do. Interpret. I see Emi as in the wrong, you don't. Fine. We leave it at that and move on past this pointless debacle.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Do you even know the Trolley Problem? Nothing relies on the awareness of the second man. I ask again, don't turn absolutes into asanines.

Please refrain from being insulting. It seems to be a bad habit of yours.

Your argument would be completely foolproof if not for one thing: What were Sakata and Emi talking about in the beginning? This requires more advanced look and interpretation.

It clearly doesn't. She is talking about Mihashi going out with Sakata, presumably to get her attention.

For all we know Emi could have been putting on airs regarding the "shock" pregnancy (shoot we don't even know if the pregnancy was a real thing or just a rumor she started about herself).

Please stick to matters actually shown in the story rather than your imagination. I'm sure you could write an excellent story, but at this point we're discussing the one Takemiya Jin wrote.

Now what in the hell does that imply? How can we connect it with her thoughts of "Couples should just drop dead"?

The pregnancy (which she didn't know about) and the second man (which she also didn't know about) don't connect to those thoughts at all.

These are questions you have to ask yourself when trying to interpret advanced things as simple as what Sakata and Emi were talking about.

I don't need to ask those questions at all, since they aren't supported by the text.

Because if they were talking about people cheating on their significant others, everything in the story still fits, and my argument stands firm.

Save for her knowing about things the story shows she did not know.

Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

You know both of you should probably stop now, unless you want a mod to come in and stop it for you

joined Mar 23, 2013

I don't see why they should stop, they are on-topic. The only thing is that their tone is a little more harsh but nothing too extreme at all.

To reply you must either login or sign up.