Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Jun 3, 2014

I guess I'm the only one who still likes this (,﹏,)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't think the pace is slow, just people wanting to see the resolution already.

Sorry, not even close. The near-certainty of Reiichi cheating appeared in Chapter 10; it has yet to be confirmed in Chapter 26. And it’s not just slowness—Chapter 14 ends with a cliffhanger of Uta in the process of confessing to Kaoru; we get what happened next spoiler: not much in a flashback in Chapter 17.

And the side chapters with the friends seem to appear at random, with little reference to whatever’s happening (or not happening) in the main story.

So no, complaints about the pace are about both the tempo of progress and the structuring of the presentation of events, not about the need to resolve the plot.

At this point it’s not entirely clear what the plot even is.

(Next time: Kuro and Miyabi argue about kitchen organization!)

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

in a flashback

Calling it a flashback is very generous.

What's that nagging sense of deja vu...

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I guess I'm the only one who still likes this (,﹏,)

I think this is, despite everything, still an interesting enough series in terms of characters and basic setup to keep reading it, so in that respect I’d say I “like” it.

The execution of the storytelling, however, has been pretty disappointing, and I think a lot of the complaints about this series come from the feeling that what once looked liked a great deal of potential has been wasted in this series.

Untitled%20design
joined Jul 13, 2016

While people criticize the writing aswell as pacing, I am pretty certain that are Rei-Kun is secretly some eldritch abomination, because the art style is often really “meh” when it comes down to human proportions (even now I see rei-kuns fcked up back from chapter 12 when he picks up the laundry Cthulhu afghjyeten)

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

While people criticize the writing aswell as pacing, I am pretty certain that are Rei-Kun is secretly some eldritch abomination, because the art style is often really “meh” when it comes down to human proportions (even now I see rei-kuns fcked up back from chapter 12 when he picks up the laundry Cthulhu afghjyeten)

I think that's just how she draws men. There is pretty much no issue with the girls or women.
Heck I sometimes feel like the high-school characters are from a different manga than Reiichi altogether.

These kinds of shitty proportions for men are usually reserved for Yaoi. lol

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

cough. Um. Was this story winding down? Can't remember. I usually learn these things from the comments but . . . I don't have time to look through them. ^^; just gonna have to be oblivious. but I gotta do it else were. So busy. floats away

last edited at Sep 29, 2019 6:35PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Of course, with Reiichi, the response to “I think I’m ready to have a baby,” is likely to be, “You know, on second thought, since my feet are now bigger than my head I’m probably going to need some new shoes—I’m going out for a while. We’ll talk later—like next week. Or month.”

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch26#30

Rare footage of the elusive Bigfoot in its natural habitat, the Japanese living room.
What a magnificent creature.

joined May 1, 2013

I'm mostly in a state of bemusement about people's reactions to this manga, again, because people appear to think a happy straight marriage is, like, a possibility of what the author is aiming at, and that's so blatantly not the case, I am lost about where anyone's getting it from.

I think the two biggest actual problems with the plot are:

Although I love Uta's weird pigtail friend, her whole thing is baffling and has no clear thematic relationship with anything else. Is she ace? Is she just emotionally closed off? Like... legit a sociopath? I thought maybe the idea was that nontraditional, weird, idiosyncratic relationships are okay, so she and whatshername can make it work despite her inability to be in romantic love, but now I'm not sure.

And the whole thing with Uta's parents is just one thing too many. I don't really care about her deal there.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It's alarming how many people, actually believe having a baby will fix a broken relationship. Well at least Kaoru brought it up for discussion, instead of just arranging to get pregnant in secret.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Although I love Uta's weird pigtail friend, her whole thing is baffling and has no clear thematic relationship with anything else. Is she ace? Is she just emotionally closed off? Like... legit a sociopath? I thought maybe the idea was that nontraditional, weird, idiosyncratic relationships are okay, so she and whatshername can make it work despite her inability to be in romantic love, but now I'm not sure.

Kuro isn't even remotely incapable of romantic love, just unwilling (by this point it's mellowed more to "merely reluctant" tho) due to acute disillusionement with the whole concept on account of her father; this was pretty clearly spelled out in the narrative. The last we saw those two Kuro was trying to adjust her comfort zone to accommodate Miyabi's desire for affectionate gestures and generally be more considerate of her while the latter was trying to adjust her relationship expectations to not push Kuro's limits too much (also turning into a blushing mess at the mention of -shock horror- kiss on the lips...).
Basically they're trying to reach a middle ground both are comfortable on.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

having a baby can't save your marriage, what a dumb decision i hope it's not gonna happen, damn she makes a stupid decision without talking to her husband?
Kaoru, you're the entire circus

joined Jan 10, 2017

This is such a shit show. I don't get who the mangaka is writing this for and who is enjoying it at this point.

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Kaoru and Reiichi sort out their relationship and become happy with a daughter then she and Uta become lovers in 17 years. The end. What a beautiful story :(

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

i just read this one for the first time with the most recent chapter (26). i have to say i enjoyed what is out so far. i get really into the characters in well written drama yuri usually, and this was no exception. usually and by the time i'm finished i'm really emotionally connected to them. that's what good stories are about right? experiencing something on an emotional level that you wouldn't have without reading it?

i was teary eyed the entire time, but that is part of why i like this kind of stuff. it makes me feel things. 1 x 1/2 and also Haru and Midori give me similar feelings. dunno why i like it, i just do. i like rooting for them, and hoping that they can all find happiness. :)

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

i just read this one for the first time with the most recent chapter (26). i have to say i enjoyed what is out so far. i get really into the characters in well written drama yuri usually, and this was no exception. usually and by the time i'm finished i'm really emotionally connected to them. that's what good stories are about right? experiencing something on an emotional level that you wouldn't have without reading it?

i was teary eyed the entire time, but that is part of why i like this kind of stuff. it makes me feel things. 1 x 1/2 and also Haru and Midori give me similar feelings. dunno why i like it, i just do. i like rooting for them, and hoping that they can all find happiness. :)

Stuff along this line makes me Feel Things too, cuz I have a history with situations that are somewhat similar, so I always cheer for things to work out well for the characters, because I hope eventually they'll work out well for me too, lol. (Not with 1 & 1/2 though, I am much more into the "near hatred" territory with my mother, rofl. I read that one with my train wreck goggles on.)

joined Apr 28, 2019

LMFAOOOOO!!! oh man that was a good laugh.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

You have some fun hobbies.

That's what forum is for, isn't it?

I do the same with WDTFS, its probably more common than one would think.

My condolences. I don't know what's worse, that manhwa or its comments section.

I suppose now both the manhwa and the comments section are dead. They died with Seju's story xD

This is such a shit show. I don't get who the mangaka is writing this for and who is enjoying it at this point.

I was threatened with ban for talking down author :(

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

dumbbitchjuice

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

I guess next chapter will be another characters drama, Kuroe x Miyabi, then next again, Uta’s classmate’s relationship flashback (I don’t remember her name anymore) then Uta and her mom’s drama, then Uta’s self monologue about her family & unrequited love to Kaoru, then back at Kaoru x Reichii and the mistress drama... then back to Kuroe x Miyabi drama again... then...

last edited at Sep 29, 2019 8:59PM

joined Sep 6, 2018

I was threatened with ban for talking down author :(

Do it! Take one for the team!

Makes me wonder: who is the editor? Or has the mangaka locked in a contractual requirement of so many chapters before being allowed to finish up the story?

The baby question is the dumbest one to ask, yet I’ve heard of it too, IRL. It’s a big commitment question, but since they’re already married, he’s either gotta provide (for the baby) or divide (the house when she resorts to divorce).

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

What do we have here...?

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

What do we have here...?

Apparently a Hot Mess™

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

Stuff along this line makes me Feel Things too, cuz I have a history with situations that are somewhat similar, so I always cheer for things to work out well for the characters, because I hope eventually they'll work out well for me too, lol. (Not with 1 & 1/2 though, I am much more into the "near hatred" territory with my mother, rofl. I read that one with my train wreck goggles on.)

i think what it comes down to is that heart ache is easy to relate to. it makes it possible to empathize with characters even if the circumstances are not relatable.

To reply you must either login or sign up.