Forum › Liberty discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Any chance of sharing what you like about it with the rest of us?

The story, the art and the characters.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Any chance of sharing what you like about it with the rest of us?

The story, the art and the characters.

OK, then.

Hitsugi%20icon
joined May 23, 2018

Oof... one of the biggest problems (aside from everything else) is that the chapters are too short, and every one of them has to end on a cliffhanger. So each chapter is just the plot spazzing out for a bit and then suddenly lurching forward to the next big scandalizing event.
Though, it's actually hard for me to hate any of the characters in this manga because they're just too ridiculous now for me to get emotionally invested in them. If only there weren't the emotionally abusive aspect, it might fall into the "so bad it's funny" camp. Though I do find myself chuckling while reading every new release, so... maybe that counts for something?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Bottom right panel basically sums up their relationship, and this entire work. Also, this would have peeved me out in the beginning, but these days I just go "PUNCH HER HARDER". It is kind of amazing the levels to which Maki being a complete doormat infuriates me, it sucked out any sympathy I might have had for the girl.

Not that Liz is any better, in terms of being a likeable character. I actually enjoy violent sociopaths and tsunderes as characters, but she just makes no sense. She is a violent piece of garbage for no reason whatsoever. The girl is seriously unhinged, but in a way that smells of "the author decided it shall be so and you have to take it on faith rather than having a plausible in-story explanation of her character".

I do not think I ever saw a series taking this steep of a nosedive before. Certainly, there have been plenty of other stories that started out strong, and then kind of lost their way after a while ("My Unrequited Love" comes to mind in recent times, "Aoi Hana" amongst the classics). But that things turn from promising to utter garbage, plus that it happens this fast, I honestly can not remember the last time I saw something like it. The writing on this is atrocious.

last edited at Jun 14, 2019 9:32AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I do not think I ever saw a series taking this steep of a nosedive before. Certainly, there have been plenty of other stories that started out strong, and then kind of lost their way after a while ("My Unrequited Love" comes to mind in recent times, "Aoi Hana" amongst the classics). But that things turn from promising to utter garbage, plus that it happens this fast, I honestly can not remember the last time I saw something like it. The writing on this is atrocious.

I think that’s what distinguishes the complaints about this one from series where people just drop into the comments to bash something they don’t like—this story started out being, if not highly unusual or original, pretty solidly good.

It set up Maki as a basically likable, naive character with plenty of room for growth and self-exploration, with Liz as her mysterious, knowing, sexy foil who would spark those changes in Maki.

When the story actually started revealing what lay beneath Liz’s aloof facade, however, it quickly became “What The Fucking Fuck?”

Liz suddenly seemed to regress in age about 5 years, and her “sexy edge” turned into narcissism and psychopathy. Her dark, secret, life-changing, psyche-twisting trauma turned out to be that old cliche of “dumped at graduation” (I swear I’ve seen a yuri 4-koma where that particular tragedy was cured by friends getting together for ice-cream sundaes).

Maki, meanwhile, never the sharpest instrument in the toolbox, seems to have shed 50-100 points of IQ, and become someone who puts up with physical and psychological abuse not because she’s into it but because she’s too bovinely stupid to be aware of what’s happening.

I can take or leave D/S as thematic material, but now I sort of want a series like this one seems to think it is, with the naive sweetie protagonist discovering her need for kink, and helping the damaged femme fatale to channel her real trauma into a healthy, mutually supportive kink relationship.

I think I may be getting something not unlike that in Yuki and the Authoress, which is light-years better-written than this one.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Liz suddenly seemed to regress in age about 5 years, and her “sexy edge” turned into narcissism and psychopathy. Her dark, secret, life-changing, psyche-twisting trauma turned out to be that old cliche of “dumped at graduation” (I swear I’ve seen a yuri 4-koma where that particular tragedy was cured by friends getting together for ice-cream sundaes).

Maki, meanwhile, never the sharpest instrument in the toolbox, seems to have shed 50-100 points of IQ, and become someone who puts up with physical and psychological abuse not because she’s into it but because she’s too bovinely stupid to be aware of what’s happening.

You nailed it, this is what destroys it for me. Characters make no sense. Liz is unhinged for no reason. Maki does everything she can for Liz, bends over backwards to accommodate the latter's whims, and is rewarded by being treated as garbage. And she never gives this so much as a stray thought, just merrily ploughing on instead.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

I think that’s what distinguishes the complaints about this one from series where people just drop into the comments to bash something they don’t like—this story started out being, if not highly unusual or original, pretty solidly good.

It set up Maki as a basically likable, naive character with plenty of room for growth and self-exploration, with Liz as her mysterious, knowing, sexy foil who would spark those changes in Maki.

When the story actually started revealing what lay beneath Liz’s aloof facade, however, it quickly became “What The Fucking Fuck?”

I can take or leave D/S as thematic material, but now I sort of want a series like this one seems to think it is, with the naive sweetie protagonist discovering her need for kink, and helping the damaged femme fatale to channel her real trauma into a healthy, mutually supportive kink relationship.

I think I may be getting something not unlike that in Yuki and the Authoress, which is light-years better-written than this one.

Yeah the setup is so great at first
Maki meeting Liz randomly at night, her writing a cryptic way to get in touch with her on Maki's hand. Maki going to the place where Liz instructed her to, finding out that Liz is the lead singer of a sick ass band. etc
Like that setup was so well done, and it honestly bums me out a bit that this is what has become of it.

Sharkexpert12
2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

I guess I'm the only one here who likes this manga, then?

Oh well... so be it...

While it's far from being one of my favorites, I do like it well enough. The amount of negativity here really was a surprise for me.

Yay, there's at least two of us!

Any chance of sharing what you like about it with the rest of us, many of whom once had high hopes for it but have been disappointed with its development?

For me I like it because it seems to be about people who are heavily flawed. Its boring to read about people where the only thing wrong with them is that they are shy or something simple. Yuri is filled to the brim with pure and innocent girls why not show off the bad apples as well.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

I guess I'm the only one here who likes this manga, then?

Oh well... so be it...

While it's far from being one of my favorites, I do like it well enough. The amount of negativity here really was a surprise for me.

Yay, there's at least two of us!

Any chance of sharing what you like about it with the rest of us, many of whom once had high hopes for it but have been disappointed with its development?

For me I like it because it seems to be about people who are heavily flawed. Its boring to read about people where the only thing wrong with them is that they are shy or something simple. Yuri is filled to the brim with pure and innocent girls why not show off the bad apples as well.

For me it's not that the characters here are flawed but that their treatment by the author is a muddle. They are made to act in ways that smell of either editorial interference (eg. "please put something shocking in every chapter that will grip readers") or some problem in the author's attitude, something that interferes with the characters and won't let them go in their natural directions so that instead of composing a story she just lines up plot devices one after another. Something like My Unrequited Love but worse because the unusual setting amplifies the problems of the story.

last edited at Jun 15, 2019 8:06AM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

If only there weren't the emotionally abusive aspect, it might fall into the "so bad it's funny" camp.

Depending on how the next few chapters shake out, this version of the story can still turn out to be true

joined Jun 12, 2015

Kitta Izumi is translating Liberty to english.

last edited at Jun 28, 2019 1:59PM

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Looking forward, I bet translation will totally go to rock.

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

Kitta Izumi is translating Liberty to english.

I wanna marry her

Fireshot%20screen%20capture%20%23073%20-%20'vol_%201%20ch_%201%20(even%20if%20it%20was%20just%20once,%20i%20regret%20it)%20-%20mangadex'%20-%20mangadex_org_chapter_689420_11%20-%20copy
joined May 6, 2018

I think I found out what to hook on after YagaKimi
For unknown reason I just love this so much, like characters, arts, plots etc etc are just on point

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

and now the senpai...

Popte_pop_54
joined Jun 25, 2019

What do we learn?
Wanna go far? Sell your soul.
Little by little until you no longer recognise yourself.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Someone tell me why this updates once every year. I think it might be faster to learn Japanese and then find the raws haha

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

RuneHex posted:

Someone tell me why this updates once every year. I think it might be faster to learn Japanese and then find the raws haha

It wouldn't. It's published in Galette, which is released 4 times a year. Right now there are 11 volumes of Galette and new chapter of Liberty was in every one of them except for 1, so it's currently up to date. Next time do your research before complaining. Not to mention you're reading it for free in the first place.

last edited at Sep 16, 2019 11:12PM

2%20-%20jmdagff
joined Aug 31, 2014

that "just for work" killed me xD

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

I sense really bad stuff.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

I don't think the slave contract bit was necessary. It's not needed and I think it doesn't help Liz's character at all. Doesn't make sense to me at all. They could have stopped at Liz slapping Maki. It's enough as a sort of marker about what kind of flawed albeit redeemable character she is (I assume, ultimately it's the case, as the story progresses).

joined Jun 17, 2014

Oh ok, so shes just a b*tch

Unnamed%20(1)
joined May 12, 2015

How unprofessional

20265099_331371470609667_965795103732342855_n
joined May 28, 2017

waiting for more.........

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

If I pour salt on this, will it shrivel?

To reply you must either login or sign up.