Forum › Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku discussion

bubbleteabird
F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

I wonder if Hime is non-binary

Jo
joined Jan 1, 2019

Does any one else not like Akira or is it just me? I don't know why really, I just don't, kinda feels like a weak character, maybe.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Does any one else not like Akira or is it just me? I don't know why really, I just don't, kinda feels like a weak character, maybe.

You can't give a transgirl initiative in a series meant for cis people, they won't feel sympathetic unless she weak, traditionally feminine and fragile.

last edited at Jul 9, 2019 11:37PM

joined Apr 26, 2016

You can't give a transgirl initiative in a series meant for cis people, they won't feel sympathetic unless she weak, traditionally feminine and fragile.

Actual trans girls walk around like they own the place while waving communist flags so yeah. Honestly though Hime has way more lines as opposed to Akira making it about cis adapting to trans rather than about trans

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Actual trans girls walk around like they own the place while waving communist flags so yeah. Honestly though Hime has way more lines as opposed to Akira making it about cis adapting to trans rather than about trans

Yeah, the focus is meant to be on Hime learning valuable lessons of gender while Akira puts on a dress and cries in a mirror or whatever. But like you don't have to pidgeonhole her into that same wandering son "hyperfeminity" even if she's more a plot device than a characer, especially when there's so many eggs out there who think they're not feminine enough to be women.

At least they show her as not completely "passing" day one while still letting her keep her dignity.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Yeah, that's an absurd reason to cross-dress. There was no girl in the world who can see past his sister's appearance, so he had to impersonate one. I guess he doesn't know any girl, beside himself.

Oh right. Now, there is Hime!

So he can stop cross-dressing and make them friend. Happy End

As if.

last edited at Jul 10, 2019 9:20AM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

How do you know the flags' political leanings, did they tell you about the plight of the worker in the language of flags (semaphore)?

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Why do people wear makeup? For myself, it’s because it fills me with confidence. I don’t care about other people’s opinions. Much of the species could take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. I wear makeup for myself, for me and no-one else. When I put it on I feel confident in myself. I take pride in my appearance.

Have you considered why that is because that feeling doesn't exist in a vacuum. Like perhaps the inescapable propaganda surrounding the makeup industry has affected your ability to feel confident with your bare face as is the case with many women. And even if that isn't the case just because you like this oppressive societal more that demands women invest inordinate amounts of time and money into this endeavour doesn't make it not an oppressive societal more that is ultimately harmful to women. Like for every woman who uses makeup as a means of self-expression there's a women who basically has an anxiety disorder concerning the idea of people perceiving her real face because it's been hammered into her since childhood that her real face is unacceptable. Let's not pretend the choice to wear makeup is one made without immense pressure pushing women in favour of it, the beauty industry is a billion dollar juggernaut bent on making every woman feel insecure and inadequate so they can sell them products that will fix the flaws they made up to sell them products to fix.

It's funny how people will make these big lengthy expositions espousing why others choose to wear make up when ultimately the answer is quite simple. They want to look better, how ever that might be defined. Everyone has their own individual secondary reasons but it all comes down to people altering their appearance because they feel it looks better than when they don't.

It's the same reason people wear nice clothes, put on perfume, or do their hair etc.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Why do people wear makeup? For myself, it’s because it fills me with confidence. I don’t care about other people’s opinions. Much of the species could take a long walk off a short pier for all I care. I wear makeup for myself, for me and no-one else. When I put it on I feel confident in myself. I take pride in my appearance.

Have you considered why that is because that feeling doesn't exist in a vacuum. Like perhaps the inescapable propaganda surrounding the makeup industry has affected your ability to feel confident with your bare face as is the case with many women. And even if that isn't the case just because you like this oppressive societal more that demands women invest inordinate amounts of time and money into this endeavour doesn't make it not an oppressive societal more that is ultimately harmful to women. Like for every woman who uses makeup as a means of self-expression there's a women who basically has an anxiety disorder concerning the idea of people perceiving her real face because it's been hammered into her since childhood that her real face is unacceptable. Let's not pretend the choice to wear makeup is one made without immense pressure pushing women in favour of it, the beauty industry is a billion dollar juggernaut bent on making every woman feel insecure and inadequate so they can sell them products that will fix the flaws they made up to sell them products to fix.

It's funny how people will make these big lengthy expositions espousing why others choose to wear make up when ultimately the answer is quite simple. They want to look better, how ever that might be defined. Everyone has their own individual secondary reasons but it all comes down to people altering their appearance because they feel it looks better than when they don't.

It's the same reason people wear nice clothes, put on perfume, or do their hair etc.

I suppose you can pretend complex sociological issues are simple if you ignore all of the complexities of them. It's intellectually lazy in the extreme but whatever floats your boat I guess.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Looking East posted:

They want to look better

Because there's no social pressure to look good in order to be treated better whatsoever.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Or you can just ignore social pressure. As you get older, it gets easier.

That's why old people are often easier to get along with. They stopped to care about how others view them.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Nya-chan posted:

Or you can just ignore social pressure. As you get older, it gets easier.

Yes, but you can't say all people are ever motivated by is just looking better. And even if you're just doing it for yourself, you can still do it because you subconsciously link looking better with being treated better, because of how integrated it's in our culture.

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

Apologies for the tardiness of my reply. Been on my first holiday in 3 years. Was quite wonderful ^_^

Anyway, onto the matter at hand

To Nya-chan first. I whole-heartedly agree with you. It’s great that people have the ability to choose. That you can live as a human being without being pidgeonholded or lashed down to one particular way of expressing yourself.

However.
My response never one questioned that. My response was quite clearly directed at another line you wrote.

It takes time and money only if you want to conform to what other people think is a woman.

I laid down specific examples of why someone would take time and money to express themselves for reasons other than “if you only want to conform to what other people think is a woman.” I was fairly clear in my expression and reasoning. I used numerous and varied examples to refute your gross generalisation.
Nya-can, you responded to a question I never asked. This does leave me a little confused.

And to Majere.
You’re falling into the Nirvana Logical Fallacy and the Straw Man Logical Fallacy. I’ll tackle the Straw Man first, since it’s the easiest.

And even if that isn't the case just because you like this oppressive societal more that demands women invest inordinate amounts of time and money into this endeavour doesn't make it not an oppressive societal more that is ultimately harmful to women.

You are attempting to paint me as perfectly accustomed to the idea that I like oppression and am apathetic to everyone’s plight. You are attempting to paint me into a corner so you can critique me and appear the superior. You don’t actually tackle anything of what I’m stating, In fact you, much like Nya-chan, ignore what I wrote. In that people go through these actions, they use make-up or clothing, for a variety of reasons. Reasons outside of the idea that people are pressured only by an oppressive industry and society. Fortunately you later posted this line.

I suppose you can pretend complex sociological issues are simple if you ignore all of the complexities of them. It's intellectually lazy in the extreme but whatever floats your boat I guess.

I appreciate that you realised your error and corrected yourself. Also you fell into the Straw Man Fallacy there too.

Secondly, to the Nirvana Logical Fallacy. There isn’t such thing as an absolutely perfect answer or solution. There are pressures from all angles. The make-up industry applies pressure upon people. The car industry applies pressure upon people. The food preparation industry applies pressure upon people. The manga industry applies pressure upon people. Everyone is under constant influence by everything and everyone. To declare the make-up industry as simply evil and should be discarded because there isn’t a perfect outcome seems irrational.

Looping back to the Straw Man, you are dealing in absolutes. The idea that make-up is “ultimately harmful to women.” This absolute falls apart the moment someone examines it more closely. I am an example. I’m not “ultimately harmed.” Which means your absolute has already fallen apart. My friends and family listed are other examples. However whilst we are not harmed, there are most certainly others who are harmed.
Are there issues with this and every single other industry on this planet? Absolutely! And it is in that knowledge that we must seek to bring about change. It won’t happen overnight. Chances are some of these outcomes are long-term to the point where decades may pass before meaningful and constructive change occurs in any facet of our lives. But strive we can.

I prefer to be an optimist. But that is my choice and of course it is up to you to decide where your eyes and mind guide you. Now if you'll excuse me, I've several weeks worth of manga to catch up on ^_^ .

JazzLafayette
4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

I feel like most of the discussion about masc/femme presentation in this thread is already in agreement?

Also: senpai crossdressing to trick a girl is some BAD MESSAGING and the story should probably get the fuck away from this subplot asap.

last edited at Jul 19, 2019 9:15PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I can't... this manga's preaching is appalling.

And the characters are so vapid...

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

The point of this entire chapter could have just as easily been made in like 2 pages at most. This manga takes too long to express the simplest of ideas.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

^I'm not sure that would suffice even if it were just about making a point as some here think, it takes a bit more to properly express the ideas presented here, especially if you want to avoid a big wall of text. But more than that, the chapter is also about Akira connecting more with her new friends, and talking about her feelings with them.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Well, the author couldn't make me care about Akira.

She's not an interesting character.

joined Apr 26, 2016

Akira is a plot device not a character. Like when does she ever make a move towrds getting this guy she likes to notice her. Why is she not asking Hime about her feelings. Even if she's str8 doesn't mean that you can ignore her feelings towards her

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

TransHomura posted:

Akira is a plot device not a character.

And that somehow makes it better?

joined Apr 26, 2016

TransHomura posted:

Akira is a plot device not a character.

And that somehow makes it better?

Worse

Copy%20of%20corn%20thief%20maki%20maki%201
joined Jun 17, 2014

lol

F6c7d5d1-1d08-49c3-974d-d6169caf13f6
joined May 8, 2017

i guess this manga is more concerned about hime discovering her identity than akira....but we already knew that since a long time ago.

hime's new look is good tho

Omochikaeri_thumb
joined Nov 2, 2013

Hime is a he now? Am I reading this right? rip yuri

joined Jun 3, 2014

Hime looked so happy on the last page (≧▽≦)

To reply you must either login or sign up.