Forum › Kyoto Police: 'Multiple Deaths' Confirmed in Kyoto Animation Fire

Screen%20shot%202022-12-24%20at%201.57.08%20am
joined Jun 11, 2016

This is legit fucked up, KyoAni have made some absolutely incredible works that have made a positive impact on mine and my friends lives. I wish them a safe recovery from this tragedy.

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 12:24PM

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014

I do not get it. It was just 3 storey building, really small too, why do not everyone jump out of the window? Broken legs are better than death, I guess. Number of deaths is like from some US shooting. Why? Again, it is not some WTC where you are blocked in trap and can't escape without suicide jump.

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 1:53PM

I do not get it. It was just 3 storey building, really small too, why do not everyone jump out of the window? Broken legs are better than death, I guess. Number of deaths is like from some US shooting. Why? Again, it is not some WTC where you are blocked in trap and can't escape without suicide jump.

Maybe the arson guy managed to burn up the escape routes who knows.

Nanofate
joined Sep 10, 2014

I doubt that they are over. They will recover from this to show that arsonist that they can't keep them down. My heart goes out to the victims and their families, but I doubt that this is the end of KyoAni.

PINK DEATH BEAR
Sara
joined Sep 18, 2016

Movies really overplay how long you can last in a burning building before you die of smoke inhalation. It doesn't actually take that much smoke to kill you. Additionally, it being a small building works against them, as overcrowding would have made it difficult to get to windows. A number of people died on the 3rd floor and in the stairs trying to escape to the roof.

Even if you do jump out and break your legs (and at 3 stories, you're lucky if that's all that happens to you), you have no guarantee you can escape before the fire catches a pant leg or something, or a wall comes down on you. Most would try to get to the roof and wait for the fire department.

Also the arsonist literally poured gas onto people trying to escape, then set them on fire.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Maximus66 posted:

There were 2 explosions so the fire spread quickly, probably some people died right there or were left unconscious or confused, then you have the panic, the smoke, heat that makes visibility almost null and apparently the roof was closed... I don't think proper security measures were taken because it was just too sudden but people in the first floor managed to use the fire alarm.

I will wait for the police report and the fire department statement about how it happened.

Sentai filmworks is raising funds for the victims https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

last edited at Jul 18, 2019 3:03PM

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This is so sad

Yikes
joined Feb 9, 2019

Kyoani puts in so much effort into their works, it's just so depressing to see this happen to them. The talented and inspiring people who create these works never deserved this, and I hope that they and their families can recover and find peace for those that were lost. Thank you Kyoani.

Rsz_42769640_big_p3
joined Mar 20, 2019

I'm legit crying right now, I was really anticipating kobayashi-chan season 2 to come. I give my condolences to their families and I wish the victims to Rest In Peace.

joined Jan 3, 2017

Maximus66 posted:

There were 2 explosions so the fire spread quickly, probably some people died right there or were left unconscious or confused, then you have the panic, the smoke, heat that makes visibility almost null and apparently the roof was closed... I don't think proper security measures were taken because it was just too sudden but people in the first floor managed to use the fire alarm.

I will wait for the police report and the fire department statement about how it happened.

Sentai filmworks is raising funds for the victims https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

https://www.fdma.go.jp/disaster/

The latest press release from thd Fire and Disaster Management Agency (Japanese only) confirmed that the subject building was found to be in compliance with fire code as applicable to a building of such size and no. of occupants.

So like do need to need to prepare for arson attacks now? crazy world

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I (and I'm assuming like literally almost everyone else ever) can never wrap my head around someone being so filled with hate that they resort to crap like this.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

I (and I'm assuming like literally almost everyone else ever) can never wrap my head around someone being so filled with hate that they resort to crap like this.

I think it's probably going to end up being a situation involving some level of mental illness. It almost certainly has to be. Nobody in their right mind would facilitate such destruction and pain upon so many for the sake of "revenge" or "payback" or whatever the preferable term would be in this case. So it's just sad all around.

Img_20220214_023902-min
joined May 10, 2014

Sad about this mess. Big losses for the community :/

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

This is just too sad - RIP those that lost their lives and I hope that those who are injured make the best recovery that they can.

last edited at Jul 19, 2019 12:16PM

Dark_Tzitzimine
67763073_p3
joined Dec 18, 2013

The perp has been identified according to Variety

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/revenge-motive-possibly-sparked-kyoto-animation-arson-attack-1203272796/

EDIT: According to KyoAni's CEO and Founder, all the material, digital and physical, is gone

https://twitter.com/tech_gaming/status/1152233443717070848

last edited at Jul 19, 2019 1:01PM

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014
Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

EDIT: According to KyoAni's CEO and Founder, all the material, digital and physical, is gone

Welp. It was nice while it lasted...

It's so sad to see such a cornerstone of anime being taken out in such an anticlimactic way.

Maidens%20of%20michael
joined Oct 2, 2014

and apparently the roof was closed... I don't think proper security measures were taken because it was just too >sudden but people in the first floor managed to use the fire alarm.

Yeah, I've just read this, roof was closed so that you CAN'T open it from inside the building... That is really stupid in terms of fire security. Dunno how this is ok according to the Japanese police.

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

I heard about this, but this is my first time hearing that there were 33 deaths (according to the edited OP on this thread). My condolences go out to all their families. No one deserves to die by fire, especially one started by a person in an act of jealousy. I'm just surprised to hear about this happening in Japan, but maybe that was just me being lulled into Japan's tendency to tout itself by being a place where things like this don't exist. It might be a majorly safe country, but humans will be humans...

I haven't checked all the links on this thread, but is there an update on the perpetrator's trial date or any details of the like?

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

I heard about this, but this is my first time hearing that there were 33 deaths (according to the edited OP on this thread). My condolences go out to all their families. No one deserves to die by fire, especially one started by a person in an act of jealousy. I'm just surprised to hear about this happening in Japan, but maybe that was just me being lulled into Japan's tendency to tout itself by being a place where things like this don't exist. It might be a majorly safe country, but humans will be humans...

I haven't checked all the links on this thread, but is there an update on the perpetrator's trial date or any details of the like?

Trial's going to be a while. He got brought in with severe burns himself (no surprise when you're tossing gasoline around), so he's not even in good enough shape to be questioned. I assume he's not conscious for very long at a stretch. So assuming he survives, and burns that bad can still kill him I'm sure, it'll be a while before he's fit to stand trial.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

The investigation might take a year or two and though I know nothing about the Japanese justice system I should like to think they're not charging anyone for anything before the investigation is finished.

last edited at Jul 19, 2019 1:58PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

AFAIK in Japan when you commit arson that results in death, it's pretty much automatic death penalty, although if I'm wrong about that I'm sure it's death penalty anyway in this particular situation. Since there seems to be little question about who did it, and their justice system moves MUCH more quickly when it comes to such matters, this fellow won't be too much longer for this world regardless of how he goes out.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The perp has been identified according to Variety

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/revenge-motive-possibly-sparked-kyoto-animation-arson-attack-1203272796/

This seems like a trusted report about the culprit so I'll update the main post... As I thought, the motives didn't matter at this point, it just makes it worse. Thanks Dark_Tzitzimine

last edited at Jul 19, 2019 2:30PM

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Thank you, Serenata.

To reply you must either login or sign up.