Forum › VAMPEERZ discussion

joined Mar 4, 2018

dramatic chipmunk

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I'm really not a fan when authors remove all of a vampires weakness's like that.

Aren't these weaknesses just stereotypes that people made as a norm? The author chose it. There is nothing that say that vampire have this weakness or this weakness.

You're right. The author has the creative right to do what they want with fictitious creatures, hence the sparkely vampires, of the twilight series. However most people have come to expect vampires to have certain traits. and if you remove all of them people are going to raise eyebrows. Plus, if you remove all of the vampire's traditional weaknesses, you create an unstoppable killing machine, that humanity has no defence against. We as a species would live or die at their whim. Um pass. Luckily there seems to be weapons, in this universe, that can kill them. Yay team humans.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

Death-by-sunlight is an explicit invention of the 20th century, and it came from movies rather than books.

Pretty sure that was added to the vampire canon by Nosferatu (1922), wasn't it?

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Death-by-sunlight is an explicit invention of the 20th century, and it came from movies rather than books.

Pretty sure that was added to the vampire canon by Nosferatu (1922), wasn't it?

Yep. The movie was an adaptation of Stoker's "Dracula", but differed greatly from the source material, one of the differences being that sunlight could now destroy a vampire.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

But it's not that vampire = night creature is an outrageous thought before then. They are in many mythologies corpses that return from the grave to do whatever it is they are doing (bloodsucking, frightening people, sexually harassing their surviving spouses... ^^) specifically at night; or creatures that basically pass as normal humans during the day or are otherwise absent/harmless during the day but not at night.

Also; there's plenty of other mythological creatures that either are weakened by sunlight or can't appear during the day or whatnot.

So from there it was never a far step to "sunlight somehow harms them".

deltahalo241
Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

"Kill me"
"Later"

Meiavatar
joined Feb 9, 2017

"Kill me"
"Later"

"I'm an assassin! ...Well, the difference bein' one is a job and the other's a mental sickness!"

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

"If i cant kill myself might as well make her do it"

Don't%20forget%20the%20best%20girl
joined Jul 22, 2018

No. You can't kill the love of your life

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Pyoro posted:

But it's not that vampire = night creature is an outrageous thought before then. They are in many mythologies corpses that return from the grave to do whatever it is they are doing (bloodsucking, frightening people, sexually harassing their surviving spouses... ^^) specifically at night; or creatures that basically pass as normal humans during the day or are otherwise absent/harmless during the day but not at night.

Also; there's plenty of other mythological creatures that either are weakened by sunlight or can't appear during the day or whatnot.

So from there it was never a far step to "sunlight somehow harms them".

Nobody argues that it's wrong or doesn't make sense for them to be weak to sunlight. We're simply saying they originally did not have that weakness. So even though now most people associate that trait with them, it wasn't always the case and isn't as weird and against their nature, as people tend to think.

last edited at May 17, 2019 9:51AM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Alright... Let me say, I love the vampire because she's fun and I had no problem with this manga but now the protagonist said "I don't understand" even after the key phrase "Leaving things behind"... Feels like a stretch (...) to make her so naive, after all, I want to believe anyone would be able to reach the same conclusion about why living for an eternity wouldn't be all that great.

So in other words

"I don't want to kill you because I love you, I want to spend more time with you" = Good, this work
"I don't understand why you want to die (even after an entire day thinking about it)" = Not good

I looks like it has to be her for some special reason and it looks like she can't be forced to do it and that's good, my only concern is that weird naivety.

I
joined Jan 16, 2019

Alright... Let me say, I love the vampire because she's fun and I had no problem with this manga but now the protagonist said "I don't understand" even after the key phrase "Leaving things behind"... Feels like a stretch (...) to make her so naive, after all, I want to believe anyone would be able to reach the same conclusion about why living for an eternity wouldn't be all that great.

So in other words

"I don't want to kill you because I love you, I want to spend more time with you" = Good, this work
"I don't understand why you want to die (even after an entire day thinking about it)" = Not good

I looks like it has to be her for some special reason and it looks like she can't be forced to do it and that's good, my only concern is that weird naivety.

this might be a stretch on my part, but - the interpretation i had of her confusion is that she just doesn't follow the logic. yes, leaving things behind is sad, but wouldn't dying entail the ULTIMATE amount of leaving things behind? it feels contradictory. for a child who still isn't real clear on the realities of mortality, i think it's an entirely understandable hang-up. ESPECIALLY when in conjunction with grief over her grandma + the genuine terror of having a suicidal friend, vampire or not.

Dynasty
joined Apr 27, 2019

Ichika is still 14 years old after all. She's entitled to be stupid and naive lol.

Screenshot_2020-10-28_003849_2_2_69
joined Sep 14, 2014

Ichika is still 14 years old after all. She's entitled to be stupid and naive lol.

Exactly, not everyone will think about the far-reaching consequences of immortality at that age lol. Plus she JUST lost her grandma. I'd say it makes sense that she'd like the people she loves to be alive than dead. Doesn't help that she also JUST met and fell in love and then asked to kill her newfound crush with a matter of 3 days.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Man, talk about using lesbian stereotypes! Look at the size of that UHaul she brought!

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Frankly the immortality argument people take as granted here never made sense to me either. I know plenty of people in their 80s and even 90s and they aren't "tired" of life; unless they are sick or something. You just meet new people, the next generation of your family, etc. You don't sulk the next 30 years just because someone died; humans aren't build that way ^^ Maybe one day you'd get tired of it but I'm not buying into this "immortality, woe is me! Such a curse!" philosophy.

Anyway, whatever.

Classic u-haul lesbians ^^

last edited at May 17, 2019 3:16PM

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

cough well then. Here is my free cent and a half(still a ripoff by the way) I hate vampires but I respect the amount of creativity that went into creating them. I just don't like the common elements/traits that go into the average vampire. Blood sucking? Gross. Living corpse? Gross.

I do have exceptions like the awesome. kain from legacy of kain.

Always thought the sunlight destroys them was a bad idea. Seems too limiting and awkward from a writing perspective. Just my take.

Living forever does sound miserable. Maybe a few more decades sure but forever? Just my take. Not like we can test it out.

This story is still really good.

last edited at May 17, 2019 4:15PM

joined Oct 17, 2018

I really like the art style

joined Jan 11, 2015

Frankly the immortality argument people take as granted here never made sense to me either. I know plenty of people in their 80s and even 90s and they aren't "tired" of life; unless they are sick or something. You just meet new people, the next generation of your family, etc. You don't sulk the next 30 years just because someone died; humans aren't build that way ^^ Maybe one day you'd get tired of it but I'm not buying into this "immortality, woe is me! Such a curse!" philosophy.

Anyway, whatever.

Classic u-haul lesbians ^^

80s and 90s is a far far cry from hundreds.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

RuneHex posted:

Exactly, not everyone will think about the far-reaching consequences of immortality at that age lol. Plus she JUST lost her grandma. I'd say it makes sense that she'd like the people she loves to be alive than dead. Doesn't help that she also JUST met and fell in love and then asked to kill her newfound crush with a matter of 3 days.

I sounds harsh but now she knows how it feels to lose someone and of course she prefers that their love ones stay alive, but wouldn't be the exact same for miss Vampire? but she doesn't have that option unless she turns someone into a vampire too, but considering it might be a curse I understand not doing it all the time. You can empathize to someone who is tiring of saying goodbye too much. It's a conclusion people would ultimately reach after some thinking, but I bet they want to leave this realization for later with more drama impact I guess.

WELL she looks so cheerful you wouldn't expect her to be really tired of living but I guess time will tell.

joined Mar 18, 2018

Look i like this story and all but... Isn't she basically only a vampire in name and nothing else?...
the writer basically took every thing a vampire is and was like: Meh, she just sucks blood... or eat pancakes whatever comes first.

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Look i like this story and all but... Isn't she basically only a vampire in name and nothing else?...
the writer basically took every thing a vampire is and was like: Meh, she just sucks blood... or eat pancakes whatever comes first.

What vampires "are" are often rewritten to fit the narrative of a story. Some can shapeshift, some can't, some can do sun, some can't, etc. This one, so far, has demonstrated the "classic" unaging immorality, blood suckery, the ability to mind control, and the inability to cross sacred barriers. The author even helped us along by having the protag go through exactly what was real and what wasn't in their universe so we wouldn't all be wondering all the time.

So she just happens to only need a "top off" of blood every so often. Big deal. I mean, those pancakes looked REALLY good, so who can blame her? I'd move in too.

joined May 1, 2015

She should just marry the vampire, live together for 60+ years and then on her death bed kill each other. Problem solved.

Doki Doki 4 Noki
joined Feb 17, 2019

I'm a little lost; did the vamp say why it had to be the protagonist to kill her?

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Damnit. I hoped so hard for a hug in the last panel but uh.. it's fine Hazmat.. it's fine.

To reply you must either login or sign up.