Forum › Still Sick discussion

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Wait, she has borderline personality disorder? Has that been established?

Well, originally she said メンタル弱い (lit. mental weakness). I am not sure if it means the same as borderline personality disorder. Maybe it's just an interpretation.

Shimizu is hardly a trained psychiatric professional so that's obviously in the colloquial sense - not that Maekawa didn't check off quite a few of the symptoms mind you, on a quick look at the description. Wouldn't call that an unreasonable localisation.

Yeah, actually, this was changed in QC to 'random depressive episodes', but I think i must have accidentally uploaded the pre-QC page! I'll need to fix that.

(I don't think the BPD line is TOO off, but it's a bit more harsh than just being unstable, which is what Shimizu says in the Japanese (in an admittedly pretty rude way.))

BPD is a very specific and rather nasty mental disorder. It carries a much different connotation to it than simply a generic mental weakness or depressive tendencies. It would be a bit like if you labelled her bipolar, psychopathic or schizophrenic. Each of those mental illnesses is unique and carries a very different meanings and collection of symptoms. Some of the key symptoms of BPD include self mutilation, extreme mood swings, repeated suicide attempts, violence towards partners and family members etc.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Ahhhhhhhh that was great until she was like lol just kidding NO NO I'm so DONE with the "just kidding" after a confession or a kiss, no you weren't just kidding who would ever believe that except oh wait the other dumb person will believe it and aaaaaaaaaa

But I am glad the Yuri is happening, I though for a moment we would be going down the friends with subtext route

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

My reactions to this chapter:

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

Even if Maekawa said, I'm kidding, Shimizu's reaction was very strong. Somebody is gonna be very conscious of each other in the next chapter. Can't wait!

last edited at Apr 20, 2019 9:22AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

I'd add that while Maekawa knows that Shimizu is into women (as Shimizu's even told her about the way people treated her at college because of that [ch 6]), I think she doesn't understand the full extent of what that means (i.e. how she'd react if a woman friend of hers kissed her), and she doesn't know that Shimizu is falling for her specifically. This would be in line with how the kiss scene and the aftermath play out.

She may also have plain forgotten about it and only remembered upon seeing Shimizu's rather, uh, strong reaction. Would match pretty well with her hasty and awkward backpedaling on the (arguably rather insensitive) commentary...

BPD is a very specific and rather nasty mental disorder. It carries a much different connotation to it than simply a generic mental weakness or depressive tendencies. It would be a bit like if you labelled her bipolar, psychopathic or schizophrenic. Each of those mental illnesses is unique and carries a very different meanings and collection of symptoms. Some of the key symptoms of BPD include self mutilation, extreme mood swings, repeated suicide attempts, violence towards partners and family members etc.

Reasonably sure it comes in a very wide range of severity, like nigh any mental issue. You're describing the extreme end of the spectrum.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

@___@ ... but I like this manga for somer reason...

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

You're describing extremes of BPD that are absolutely not the norm for all BPD sufferers.

Img_20190418_023052-min
joined Mar 16, 2019

I think she thought Shimizu was only interested in 2D and doesn't cares about love, so she kiss her (probably because she likes her at this point romantically) but then throws the "kidding" right after so Shimizu wouldn't think much of it or take responsibility

Ah, you're right, shimizu never really tells her that she's into real life girls.

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Shimizu forcing herself to be in denial of her homosexuality is so relatable that it hurts.
Also, Maekawa's lil prank was pretty fucked up, I hope she apologizes.

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Woah. Things are getting better and better.

Shoujo%20kageki%20revue%20starlight%20-%2009%20-%20large%2035
joined Apr 22, 2017

Ah, you're right, shimizu never really tells her that she's into real life girls.

She did tell her.

I think that was Shimizu telling that her friends know she's into yuri and avoid her. Not herself liking girls.

last edited at Apr 21, 2019 5:39PM

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

Just so you know my neighbors all think I've lost my mind now because I clicked on your link and was graced with that YouTube soundtrack. Somehow it caught me all unexpected-like and I cackled like a hyena out of surprise.

Also I think Maekawa knows exactly what she's doing but somehow didn't expect the kind of reaction she clearly got out of Shimizu.

Ke%20(5)
joined Feb 10, 2016

3DPD power winning over 2D

Sol
joined Feb 25, 2016

I-I... was just so focused on Shimizu's crocs...

We stan

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

I-I... was just so focused on Shimizu's crocs...

We stan

lmao same hahaha

Garry
joined Aug 21, 2018

who said the last two balloons in the last panel ? which them is for Maekawa and which them for Shimizu? i'm confused ... and what did Maekawa mean when she said "be my first..." what?!! first kiss? first girlfriend !?

Alien%209%20kumi
joined Feb 28, 2019

whatever Maekawa was pointing out on the 'my first' she wants Shimizu to be that person for her : )

plus throughout the story Maekawa pretty much likes to bluff so she's probably bluffing right now to hide that that kiss felt good and that she's pretty much gay for Shimizu

I'm looking forward for this one, it's pretty amazing!

last edited at May 6, 2019 2:10AM

Rankarana Uploader
New%20profile
Sexy Akiba Detectives
joined Feb 8, 2014

Shimizu says the penultimate bubble, and Maekawa the last one. "What was that..." and "it f-felt good" seem like two parts of the same sentence. Though the last bubble sounds odd to me either way.

Shimizu asks the 'what was that', maekawa is like 'uhhh good? oops'

I think the "be my first" line is ambiguous on purpose, so we can only guess right now. It's possible she hasn't liked any of the guys she's dated, but she may have kissed a guy before, so this is not necessarily her first kiss.

I think "my first" means "the first person I might be able to fall for". Other guess is "my first gay kiss" or "my first good kiss", though I could only imagine that as a subconscious motive, since so far we're lead to think that she doesn't know that she's not straight. Same reason why I don't think she means "first girlfriend", at least consciously.

nah she's literally just making fun of yuri manga cliches

20265099_331371470609667_965795103732342855_n
joined May 28, 2017

more drama......

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Seems like every step forward comes with a step back in this manga... but inch by inch, we're gettin' there.

joined Jun 30, 2015

Seems like every step forward comes with a step back in this manga... but inch by inch, we're gettin' there.

Dat lewd handholding doesn't seem like a step back at all

Sk_fb
joined Feb 17, 2013

The egg line made me laugh...

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Wow what's with the flashback, what's this ? NARUTO?! >:(

Obviously just joking, I knew it was going to be the end of the volume anyway, it had that feeling xP and well, I guess, they're ... back to not really friends but close to each other relationship status? I'm not sure where drama could come from.

Maekawa couldn't love back... hmMMmmmMMmm I guess not everyone can have a beautiful student council president to learn the proper way

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

Wow, talk about a HUGE step back after inching their way forward.

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

Woah. Is this going to be weird now?

To reply you must either login or sign up.