Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@ Looking East

Sure, but that’s basically non-responsive. I’m not reading about your friend, who has a life encompassing many decades of real-life experience; I’m reading these flashes of fictional existences and attempting to fill in the blanks, with the assumption, as is not true of real lives, that the work of art will make a coherent whole.

So when the story takes some pains to raise an issue like the possible infidelity of one of the major characters, then seems to forget all about it, I’m not inclined to say, “That’s just like life—all sorts of crazy stuff happens!”

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 8:38PM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

UGH ... it's my only reaction to this chapter

Torako-okay4
joined Oct 17, 2017

pull the trigger piglet... end this

joined Feb 23, 2016

Ooooof! But face it guys... we all know uta is going to see or hear about her bro cheating.. so she’s gonna go running back to kaoru at some point .. we’ll just see xD

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 8:49PM

Ivan's%20words%20of%20wisdom
joined Jun 22, 2013

10/10 chapter. 11/10 credits page!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

She went into the room to confront Uta about the fact that Uta is in love with her, then acts shocked (in the previous chapter) when Uta says, once again, that she’s in love with her.

Eh, I don't think it's that hard, Uta confessed, but Japanese is ambiguous enough that "Kaoru, I like you" can be brushed off as just an affectionate comment between friends or family.

Please—did the whole confession scene not happen, where Uta says that she is in romantically in love with someone but it can never go anywhere, and ultimately tells Kaoru it’s her?

At best, Kaoru is being extremely self-centered and highly insensitive to the feelings of someone she supposedly cares about deeply—insensitive not with her rejection but with her failure to take Uta’s feelings seriously. She has her reasons for doing what she’s doing and there are character traits that have been established that can justify how she reacts, but again, I’m not quite sure the writer wants me to choose among the options of seeing Kaoru as a shitty person, a dolt, or both.

I get that lots of things about the story can be explained when looked at in just the right way, but to me far too many things need to be explained away, or the explanations require positing a much more subtle and nuanced writer than the execution of the overall story justifies.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 8:51PM

Img_20150911_005715
joined Sep 10, 2015

That credit page. Please give my feels back.xD

joined Jul 11, 2015

That credit page. Please give my feels back.xD

ME TOO x'''DDD almost feeling everything, then the credit page came up ;"D

70420323_p4_master1200-min
joined Dec 28, 2018

Bro why is she declining uta's feelings? she knows her husband is cheating and yet she continues to be loyal to him? im sorry but that just pisses me off man Uta desrrves her tbh more than her stupid brother who probably just married her because his mom forced him to lowkey.

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

The saving grace is that Uta has some guts I gotta say, she took Kaoru's attempts at waving everything away pretty much THREE TIMES and shoved them right back.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 9:45PM

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

You know, if this manga really wanted to explode a figurative bomb in the room, it would have Reiichi come home with divorce papers.

Honestly I would rather see Kaoru get some self-respect and serve them up, but it doesn't seem likely. I feel sorry for both Uta and Kaoru, as they are stuck between a rock and a hard place without a good way out. I don't know what Kaoru is making on Etsy but it seems like she would have a real hard time alone, Uta is still a kid and can't stay or leave without suffering.

Kaoru's idea of the life she was living has fallen apart - her estrangement from Reiichi is the unstated elephant in the room, and arrangement with Uta is also done. She's maybe the one with the hardest choices in that sense. I can see Uta living on her own as soon as she hits 18, she seems like the type who can do that. Kaoru has always seemed fragile.

Someone's gotta step up to the plate, or I guess they'll just twist in the wind. A manga where they all suffer for another 50 chapters, that's just the ticket!

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The saving grace is that Uta has some guts I gotta say, she took Kaoru's attempts at waving everything away pretty much THREE TIMES and shoved them right back.

That's a key to my increasing respect for her--Uta wandered around emotionally speaking, for a while, because she really is the one with the the insoluble problem, but at least she's trying to face it.

I've been heavily Kaoru-bashing here, and people have been articulating her various emotional/social dilemmas pretty well. I want to sympathize with her, but I just don't feel like I'm getting much to go on. Part of the premise of the series is that she's supposed to be an adult, and therefore an inappropriate lover for Uta, but she's not bringing a lot to the table in the "adult" department.

Believe me, I've tried ignoring problems in hopes they would just go away and then everything could go back to the way it was. I don't recommend it long-term, though.

Arg
joined Jan 17, 2014

Please just let Uta move on, didn't think it would ever happen but for once the yuri end in a yuri manga is not the good end, if it's necessary just give her a girlfriend in college and call it a day.
Atleast like that it would be a decent and somewhat down-to-earth story about actually unrequited love.

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

Now I remember why I don't read comments any more. This is my personal contribution to the amount of useless comment being posted in this topic. Have a nice day!

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

I love this series. I like the side stories it follows. I don't understand people calling it boring when it's just a slow burn. Not every series is going to be straight to the point with everything. That's not how real people are, either. I might feel differently depending on how it ends but I think it's been shown clearly Uta and Kaoru don't really know what they want, and it's their own confusion that keeps them from getting where they need to in their lives

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Please just let Uta move on, didn't think it would ever happen but for once the yuri end in a yuri manga is not the good end, if it's necessary just give her a girlfriend in college and call it a day.
Atleast like that it would be a decent and somewhat down-to-earth story about actually unrequited love.

I totally agree. And Kaoru should divorce and go get a personality.

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Bro why is she declining uta's feelings? she knows her husband is cheating and yet she continues to be loyal to him? im sorry but that just pisses me off man Uta desrrves her tbh more than her stupid brother who probably just married her because his mom forced him to lowkey.

Lol what? Just because your husband cheated, doesn't mean you have to fck up your life, too. Maybe it comes as though she's brushing Uta's feeling but give Kaoru a break. She's been through hella lot.
-husband cheating
-accident
-Uta's moving
-Uta's confession

Things are piling up so give her some time to sort it out. And Kaoru has the right not to reciprocate Uta's feeling especially if she only sees her as a sister or she's not into that(would be great if she feels more tho), even Uta came into terms with it already that's why she has decided to move on. It's not just about Uta, BOTH of the girls deserve better.

last edited at Mar 24, 2019 11:15PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I love this series. I like the side stories it follows. I don't understand people calling it boring when it's just a slow burn. Not every series is going to be straight to the point with everything. That's not how real people are, either. I might feel differently depending on how it ends but I think it's been shown clearly Uta and Kaoru don't really know what they want, and it's their own confusion that keeps them from getting where they need to in their lives

Uta knows exactly what she wants. She just, rightly, doesn't see any way for her to get it.

People act like it's some incredible revelation to other readers that "slow burn" stories exist; I know very well what a slow burn story is, and one basic requirement is, as the name suggests, heat. To me this is more like a gas stove with a partially blocked feed line--things threaten to flare up from time to time, but it mostly just sputters.

And I don't think there's ever been a story in history that somebody somewhere didn't defend on the basis of its "realism." For those who think this a great story that works the way great stories work, more power to you--enjoy. Those of us who see flaws in it don't need to have genres explained to us, however.

Screenshot_2020-06-05%20dorian%20electra%20has%20a%20full%20on%20broment
joined Jun 20, 2017

C'mon, nothing in this manga is realistic.

One of the appeals of manga is how utterly stupid things can get. It's like every author is competing with the rest to design the most emotionally incompetent set of characters.

Considering Yuri manga's standards, the main scenes of this one are quite realistic, I don't know what you're talking about.

This manga has a lot of flaws, mostly with the pacing and side characters, but "realism" isn't really the way to address it. Uta, for instance, is quite the interesting character. She's an emotional time-bomb but in a way that's not over-emphasized. It's the little gestures that convey the best how much pain and stress she's under.

Fb_img_1519730104292
joined Sep 16, 2017

Dafuq, that ending credit... XD

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

@ Looking East

Sure, but that’s basically non-responsive. I’m not reading about your friend, who has a life encompassing many decades of real-life experience; I’m reading these flashes of fictional existences and attempting to fill in the blanks, with the assumption, as is not true of real lives, that the work of art will make a coherent whole.

So when the story takes some pains to raise an issue like the possible infidelity of one of the major characters, then seems to forget all about it, I’m not inclined to say, “That’s just like life—all sorts of crazy stuff happens!”

Most of my comment wasn't actually directed at you, but rather the whole string of comments your response was part of where people seemed flabbergasted about the level of denial Kaoru was putting on display. I actually completely agree with you that the way the story just dropped the whole cheating husband narrative thread is a misstep.

last edited at Mar 25, 2019 12:50AM

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

She went into the room to confront Uta about the fact that Uta is in love with her, then acts shocked (in the previous chapter) when Uta says, once again, that she’s in love with her.

I think she's still shocked because she was secretly hoping Utah would deny it and it was just a misunderstanding. Kaoru asks why she said anything if she knew kaoru couldn't return the feelings; where she responded that it needed to be said for closure. Kaoru somewhat dismisses it saying if it's needed then that's fine and they can work on how to make things like they used to be, not understanding that uta's trying to tell her it can't go back to how it was.

letsgolesbians
Artsy%20draw
joined Mar 24, 2019

This series hits so deep because it reminds me of my first love (which was unrequited) lol. I found myself thinking many of the things the main character was thinking throughout this series (especially the "please don't be kind to me") Im looking forward to where these two will go, whether they end up together or not. It doesn't seem likely they will be a couple anytime soon but even if they don't I think ill still enjoy this manga. I think that maybe a new love interest is going to be introduced for the MC soon! lets hope they can recover their relationship..

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@ Looking East

Most of my comment wasn't actually directed at you, but rather the whole string of comments your response was part of where people seemed flabbergasted about the level of denial Kaoru was putting on display. I actually completely agree with you that the way the story just dropped the whole cheating husband narrative thread is a misstep.

I didn't mean to overreact, and you're right that there are people in the world with mind-boggling levels of denial about all kinds of things. Who knows, I might be one of them and, by definition, don't realize it. :)

But when we meet those people in real life, they seem like (concerning whatever subject they're in denial about) they're basically demented. As I've been saying, I don't think the takeaway on Kaoru is supposed to be that she's quasi-demented. But she's been getting there.

Pikachuwhat
joined Mar 13, 2014

10/10 credits page.

To reply you must either login or sign up.