Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 22 pg 18, "to leave her anymore" -> "here"

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

C'mon, nothing in this manga is realistic.

One of the appeals of manga is how utterly stupid things can get. It's like every author is competing with the rest to design the most emotionally incompetent set of characters.

Considering Yuri manga's standards, the main scenes of this one are quite realistic, I don't know what you're talking about.

This manga has a lot of flaws, mostly with the pacing and side characters, but "realism" isn't really the way to address it. Uta, for instance, is quite the interesting character. She's an emotional time-bomb but in a way that's not over-emphasized. It's the little gestures that convey the best how much pain and stress she's under.

Nothing presented about Uta screams fantasy nonsense not like this situation happens every day but when you have issues pertaining to anything some people will just bottle it up and eventually explode.

joined Sep 6, 2018

The pacing of releases is what’s burning out the readership. Yes, there can be angst, but there better be extra chapters released at the same time to keep the angst-y story/plot moving forward.

Artwork isn’t the best... it’s more like rough drafts of the best stuff out there.

The author has painted herself into a corner to where there’s no happy ending possible. It would be entertaining to hear all of the creepy outcomes that would be considered a happy ending.

I don’t care about the story nor the characters... in fact, I’d consider a character death to be easy and tidy for the author to use to help resolve the story.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I thought "Well... shit...", until I saw the mothafukin' credit page. Bwahahahahaha!

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

The credit page, 10/10

I wonder how this is going to end, it can't be wrapped up nicely any time soon, hmmmmm

Crying%20trash
joined Feb 8, 2018

I actually facepalmed when I saw the credits page. That didn't need to be there.

joined Mar 25, 2019

This series is really interesting despite its problems. The main draw for me are the characters (the main ones anyway, cat girl and her girlfriend are kinda eh). I think this story does a "the human heart in conflict with itself" pretty well. Uta desperately wants to move on from Kaoru but is stuck because she can't get rid of her own hopeless feelings of love. Kaoru wants to be an adult and have her efforts appreciated by the man she loves yet when the situation calls on her to become a responsible adult and face her problems, she actively blinds herself so that she won't have to deal with it. This constrasts nicely with Uta who is the younger of the two but is more mature. Uta suffers because she understands, Kaoru suffers because she doesn't. The brother (I can't remember his name right now for the life of me) is breath of fresh air for the male element in a het-yuri love triangle. He's a scumbag for cheating ( though I can't remember the story stating explicitly that he did, but it's at least heavily implied), but we can see that he is suffering befause of it meaning there's a lot more to him than that and he is trying, at least. That being said, I agree with many of the criticism many people have already stated regarding the meandering plot, side stories, and pacing of this series. I have a feeling the fact the we read chapter by chapter each month or so has quite an impact on the pacing. I enjoyed it a lot more when I was bingereading several chapters at once (this goes for a lot of manga actually).

Tumblr_ok9qbbf9zt1vy8fcno2_250
joined Nov 13, 2018

Man, I hope Kaoru lets Uta move on, the worst thing the person you're crushing on can do after rejecting you, is to try to comfort you and be super kind about it, that just makes it worse and harder to move on, it'd be best to give someone space after being heartbroken.

I liked how the chapter was drawn too, was good quality.

Download
joined Jun 4, 2015

It’s subjective for sure but since I’ve always loved the art for this I didn’t think anyone would hate it

joined Nov 27, 2015

It’s subjective for sure but since I’ve always loved the art for this I didn’t think anyone would hate it

Yeah I've also always loved this authors art and stories (one of the few looking out for us UmiEli enthusiasts). I'd consider them one of the better artists we have working on yuri manga and for that, I'm surprised people are hating it so much.

joined Nov 27, 2015

This series is really interesting despite its problems. The main draw for me are the characters (the main ones anyway, cat girl and her girlfriend are kinda eh). I think this story does a "the human heart in conflict with itself" pretty well. Uta desperately wants to move on from Kaoru but is stuck because she can't get rid of her own hopeless feelings of love. Kaoru wants to be an adult and have her efforts appreciated by the man she loves yet when the situation calls on her to become a responsible adult and face her problems, she actively blinds herself so that she won't have to deal with it. This constrasts nicely with Uta who is the younger of the two but is more mature. Uta suffers because she understands, Kaoru suffers because she doesn't. The brother (I can't remember his name right now for the life of me) is breath of fresh air for the male element in a het-yuri love triangle. He's a scumbag for cheating ( though I can't remember the story stating explicitly that he did, but it's at least heavily implied), but we can see that he is suffering befause of it meaning there's a lot more to him than that and he is trying, at least. That being said, I agree with many of the criticism many people have already stated regarding the meandering plot, side stories, and pacing of this series. I have a feeling the fact the we read chapter by chapter each month or so has quite an impact on the pacing. I enjoyed it a lot more when I was bingereading several chapters at once (this goes for a lot of manga actually).

Well said! The character dynamics are interesting when put into the perspective of the conflict of how people deal with their emotions, especially the contrast between Uta and Kaoru. Call me hopeless but I think there's a way for there to be a happy ending once they all somehow "mature" from the things that hold them back. Seeing Kaoru at least attempt to confront Uta about her feelings is a huge step for her seeing as she's incapable of doing so for anything else. I think it goes to show how important Uta is to her even if she's unaware of how her actions can actually hurt the person she cares about. I also agree with what you said about the pacing because the gap always feels so long but even just rereading it in one go every once in a while actually makes it feel more complete(?) and not so drawn out. The slow pacing is understandable and really shouldn't be something new for people who read manga.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I actually like how the drama is delivered. Why would people dislike this chapter?

Kaoru's reaction fits her personality and her history. She wants everything to be the same than before, because this is the family she needs. She ignored, or repressed in her mind, Reiichi's potential cheating for the exact same reason. It's consistent.with how she's been portrayed until now. Everything she had, a husband, a little sister, is crumbling, so she prefers to be in denial.

Uta is actually being more mature, but she's also running away and doing self-harm by going with her mother, which she actually hates.

Both Kaoru and Uta are in pain and everything is beyond their control. At this point, there needs to be an external intervention to resolve that knot.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Well well well. Actual advancement in the plot and characters being open about their feelings? Confrontations? No cop-outs?
Who woulda thunk it?

Oh wait. I did. Maybe next time I will not be ridiculed by certain people.
Just kidding~

Now for the actual chapters, this went about as horrible well as expected. Of course Kaoru is still clinging to her perfect little bubble and inadvertently hurting Uta in the process. That much was expected. I am actually kinda proud of Uta for trying to make a clear cut. Trying to keep up the perfect family dynamic in this situation is plain impossible. Kaoru is actively denying her the closure she needs (from Uta's perspective).
The thing is, while Uta seems to have it all figured out, she is definitely putting up a brave front here. This way out she has taken is not going to make her happy either. Kaoru has the right idea, but for the wrong reasons.

We can assume that this will be pretty rough from here on out. Staying in the same home as the one who rejected you is not easy. Either this will speed up Uta's leave or they will continue the silently suffering game. Would be great if big bro did his job for once.

last edited at Mar 25, 2019 6:34AM

70420323_p4_master1200-min
joined Dec 28, 2018

Bro why is she declining uta's feelings? she knows her husband is cheating and yet she continues to be loyal to him? im sorry but that just pisses me off man Uta desrrves her tbh more than her stupid brother who probably just married her because his mom forced him to lowkey.

Lol what? Just because your husband cheated, doesn't mean you have to fck up your life, too. Maybe it comes as though she's brushing Uta's feeling but give Kaoru a break. She's been through hella lot.
-husband cheating
-accident
-Uta's moving
-Uta's confession

Things are piling up so give her some time to sort it out. And Kaoru has the right not to reciprocate Uta's feeling especially if she only sees her as a sister or she's not into that(would be great if she feels more tho), even Uta came into terms with it already that's why she has decided to move on. It's not just about Uta, BOTH of the girls deserve better.

Yeah i somewhat agree with you, but come on theyre perfect together although for karou to understand and accept her feelings is highly unlikely i still want the ship to go on.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think Kaoru is worse off. If she accepts everything that's coming her way (Uta leaving and Reicchi cheating), she loses everything.

Uta is just at the beginning of her life, so she can move on. But it's a lot harder for Kaoru to lose all of her family, again.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think Kaoru is worse off. If she accepts everything that's coming her way (Uta leaving and Reicchi cheating), she loses everything.

Uta is just at the beginning of her life, so she can move on. But it's a lot harder for Kaoru to lose all of her family, again.

Of course. I may have sounded a bit harsh on Kaoru there, but I am actually one of her (very few) defenders. I totally get why she is acting the way she does and she has my sympathy. But touching her with velvet gloves won't solve anything. She is cornering herself here. Uta's refusal to be drawn in anymore is pretty cruel too... But she at least tries to change her situation.

Honestly, I don't see Kaoru figuring this one out herself. Overcoming her own abandonment issues is too much too ask. She needs help and quick or everything will run through her fingers like sand.

Kasumi
joined Mar 25, 2019

Urgh..., this manga is slow. It's interesting, how many volumes it takes for Kaouru to develop romantic feelings to Uta, 4 or may be 5? I mean, they should, somehow, end up together, it's a Yuri Hime manga after all.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Urgh..., this manga is slow. It's interesting, how many volumes it takes for Kaouru to develop romantic feelings to Uta, 4 or may be 5? I mean, they should, somehow, end up together, it's a Yuri Hime manga after all.

Flash news: not every yuri manga has a yuri ending.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Of course. I may have sounded a bit harsh on Kaoru there, but I am actually one of her (very few) defenders. I totally get why she is acting the way she does and she has my sympathy. But touching her with velvet gloves won't solve anything. She is cornering herself here.

And while I on the other hand have been particularly hard on Kaoru, I do understand the motivations for her actions and have a general sympathy for her several dilemmas.

It’s hard for me to feel much respect for her choices, though, because those basic impulses she’s acting on are so immature. If she were trying to cling to the people, that would be one thing, but she’s trying to somehow preserve a situation that’s obviously already gone for good.

Uta moving on from her feelings doesn’t have to mean cutting off all ties to one another in the long run, and even being honest about whatever’s going on with Reiichi doesn’t necessarily have to end in a divorce (plenty of people “come to terms” with a spouse’s cheating—if that’s what he’s actually doing—to preserve something that they think is worth the price).

On a human level, Kaoru is weak and self-centered. Me too. On a narrative level, though, at this point she’s not showing much that makes me care about her plight very deeply or to make me think that ending up with Uta would be a good thing for either one.

Kasumi
joined Mar 25, 2019

Yeah, I know. But, it's almost certain, at his point, that Uta will move on to their mother and then starts living on her own. And what about Kaoru? They should get along with her husband, give birth for a child or two and be happy in her het life? It's a very realistic, but for yuri manga, what a waste?!

last edited at Mar 25, 2019 8:31AM

joined Mar 6, 2019

Yeah, I know. But, it's almost certain, at his point, that Uta will move on to their mother and then starts living on her own. And what about Kaoru? They should get along with her husband, take a birth for a child or two and be happy in her het life? It's a very realistic, but for yuri manga, what a waste?!

Kaoru being happy with her husband is anything but realistic. Their relationship is a complete failure and she just started realizing that. After Uta's gone she'll become a trainwreck.

last edited at Mar 25, 2019 8:13AM

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

In all the drama I almost forgot to mention this...
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch21#25
Although Kaoru pushed her away and Uta certainly took that as a hard rejection... Kaoru definitely blushed here. Doesn't look like the "blood rush from anger" either. I may not think them getting together is likely or the best outcome, but this is one of the few times she has shown a genuine reaction to Uta's closeness. I don't think a woman who feels no attraction at all would react that way.

Not to mention that there is a yuri pairing in this manga. So even if the main pair doesn't go there, we still have a "yuri ending".

On a human level, Kaoru is weak and self-centered. Me too. On a narrative level, though, at this point she’s not showing much that makes me care about her plight very deeply or to make me think that ending up with Uta would be a good thing for either one.

I don't believe in such a fairy tale ending either and it seems it wouldn't be worth the pain anyway...
Yet I do feel that Kaoru simply doesn't have the capacity to act more mature, because of her circumstances. And Uta's "maturity" is just forced self-punishment as well. As much as Kaoru clings to her, she actually raised fair points. It's just that the extra layer of Uta's confession completely destroys any reasonable solution. Kaoru probably blames herself and will continue to blame herself if Uta goes to her mother and suffers. That is true regardless of whether she wants to keep the status quo or not.

Kaoru is completely aware of everything going on around her, but more or less powerless to change the situation. Even more likely she would make it worse (from her perspective). That alone is enough reason to want her to succeed, even if it is hopeless. Thus we need to root for her to solve her issues rather than the situation itself.

last edited at Mar 25, 2019 8:18AM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

True, though het endings are way less popular than they used to be. I still suspect this is going somewhere relatively happy in the end. Right now I'm wondering if Uta facing her fears and pain of rejection might inspire Kaoru to do the same with Reiichi and confront him about the affair.

joined Jan 9, 2019

Ugh, it hurts

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

True, though het endings are way less popular than they used to be.

Wait, there was a time when those were popular?

To reply you must either login or sign up.