Forum › Useless Princesses discussion

Forced AF

japan cant hold a candle to korean/china yuri now

Bd-9rivccaa0cut
joined Aug 10, 2015

Having slept on it, I'm not as negative about it as I was before. I think i'm just being impatient, lol.

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 11, pg 10, "I don't where it is!" -> "I don't know where it is!"

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Some people here claim it will inevitably become a love triangle, so I was saying regardless of whether that actually happens, this is a good way to develope their characters and relationships. You basically have the same idea as me.

I don't think this is really a love triangle either, I actually like love triangles, when they're well written and unpredictable.

But I must say I also don't think this is good character development. The "sudden transfer student" who happens to be the perfect fit to move the plot forward always feels like lazy writing to me. The chapter was basically a series of convenient events meant to bring up the precise points about Iro that could stir up Fujishiro's insecurities. There was nothing organic about that, it's way more interesting when the jealousy is caused by a character we're invested on or have opinions about rather than a Plot Point-san.

Hardly anything is truly unpredictable, especially with love triangles. The most "surprising" thing they can offer is not to be antagonistic or toxic. If only because that's the rarest version. I once read one where both rivals were trying to get the other together with the love interest, ignoring their own happiness... that was probably the most unique one lol

Well you aren't wrong, as usual a good plot device doesn't necessarily make a good story. It really depends on the execution and how much Iro will be fleshed out and what kind of dynamic she will create. If she ascends beyond a mere plot device, people will look back on this more favorably I presume.

last edited at Mar 23, 2019 12:10PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Blastaar posted:

Of course, I’m not saying that the introverted wallflower Kurokawa is being depicted as exceptionally charismatic, just that for Fujishiro the emotional dynamic is similar.

It's completely possible for someone to be charismatic while being introverted. It's just not nearly as noticeable because introverts are so quiet. Charisma is simply force of personality, not extroversion. You can argue that Kurokawa doesn't have a strong force of personality, although I would personally argue that the reason she doesn't seem like she has a strong force of personality is simply because her values are different from most peoples'.

Of course--I have one in my own family. Charismatic introverts just usually don't take as many opportunities to display their charisma to the wider public. lol

I'm not taking this any further than this, because the most toxic discussion I've ever had on Dynasty was about the concept of "charisma," but I will say in my experience that I've known many forceful personalities who I would not describe as charismatic--they were just forceful.

Then there were the people who for some reason (a reason we often give the name "charisma") were people who made others want to listen to them, to get their approval, to agree with them. And sometimes when reflecting afterwards on what that person said, you'd think, "that sounded so completely convincing when they said it, but it actually doesn't really make sense."

joined Jul 26, 2016

Have to agree that Iro gets dropped onto the scene rather abruptly and not particularly naturally. She seems like a pretty interesting addition to the cast though and Ajiichi's writing has been solid enough so far that I'm reasonably optimistic the clumsy intro can be forgiven.

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

Well, if nothing else, these princesses certainly are useless.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Blastaar posted:

Of course--I have one in my own family. Charismatic introverts just usually don't take as many opportunities to display their charisma to the wider public. lol

I'm not taking this any further than this, because the most toxic discussion I've ever had on Dynasty was about the concept of "charisma," but I will say in my experience that I've known many forceful personalities who I would not describe as charismatic--they were just forceful.

Then there were the people who for some reason (a reason we often give the name "charisma") were people who made others want to listen to them, to get their approval, to agree with them. And sometimes when reflecting afterwards on what that person said, you'd think, "that sounded so completely convincing when they said it, but it actually doesn't really make sense."

Yeah, that's all fair enough. I should clarify that when I say "forceful personality" though that I don't mean someone who's pushy or anything like that. I mean someone whose personality and way of going about things can end up strongly influencing others even though they're not being pushy.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

This is going into a direction I'm not pleasant with, and to think Ajichi-sensei is sidelining Dear my Teacher for this ... UGH

Hotyangicon3
joined Jun 6, 2013

BugDevil:
It`s not that she is especially jealous of Iro-chan, but rather that she had a misconception of what Kurokawa was to her. Kurokawa was Fujishiro's savior, but to Kurokawa helping a person in need is not special. That disconnect is tough to stomach for someone who was always hung up on being special. Fujishiro abandoned her old posse and doesn't care about impressing anyone anymore... except Kurokawa. Wanting to be special to everyone has condensed to be special to one person, but if that person does not feel that way, how is she going to cope?

Love triangle or not, it's good to challenge these two who prospered in isolation with the terrors of inclusion lol

Thanks for putting it in perspective ^_^

Untitled%203
joined Feb 3, 2013

Well... If anything, this "might" serve as a catalyst for development... or could overstay it's welcome and become extremely annoying. I guess will heavily depend if the new girl has romantic feelings for Kurokawa or just admiration.

Still, I'm kinda disappointed. I had high hopes the author was just baiting with these scenario and turn out to be nothing to worry about, like they did before. It turns out the author wasn't special either...

last edited at Mar 23, 2019 5:32PM

Ryuko
joined May 1, 2018

Ugh I'm mad, it's the same cliché coming up again that I hate in yuri mangas. The two main characters are like about to become closer and/or start dating or smth and some childhood bestfriend/old time friend who always liked one of the two in the couple comes back into the picture and messes up everything for like 1-3 chapters. This new old friend is bolder in the declaration for love and is a full on gay, making the situation complicated because the other two are like oops we're kinda shy.

I know it ends with two getting together so this trope just gets annoying.

joined Oct 27, 2018

I swear, this manga does't have a single likable character. I really don't get what ppl see is so great about this shallow manga. I've tried to give it a chance, but every chapter irritates me more than the one before it.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The introduction of this character wouldn’t seem like so much of an ass-pull if there had been at least a little foreshadowing of her existence. After all, we do get flashbacks to Kurokawa’s past very early on and occasional glimpses of her previous relationships with others; if this actually were a planned development it would have been the easiest thing in the world to slip in a reference to her little oppressed otaku friend.

Tropes being tropes, I try not to get too bent out of shape about apparent cliches until I see how they play out. But not an auspicious start to this one.

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

I swear, this manga does't have a single likable character. I really don't get what ppl see is so great about this shallow manga. I've tried to give it a chance, but every chapter irritates me more than the one before it.

Now that you mention it I do agree the characters are one of the weakest points of this story, their personalities changed too fast (11 chapters before you can't barely tell who's who) and they soak into much drama

Again, Ajichi-sensei is sidelining Dear my Teacher for this UUUUUUGGGHHHH

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

While I do like these characters, I actually feel the way you do about this story towards more than half the Yuri I've read.

Chamo
joined Mar 15, 2019

Fujishiro during most of this chapter: "Who this bitch think she touchin mah girl!?"

Talking about a possible love triangle, I actually get mad gay vibes from Izumi, she really seems to have feelings for Fujishiro, so if we do get a triangle, I feel like she might be one of the tips. But if Ito likes Kurokawa, then sure we just go it, hope it's well written and enjoy the ride.

joined Mar 12, 2019

I was actually surprised by the somewhat decent character development that is going on. However, I think that the story is sort of unrealistic and over-dramatized. Guys in real life really don’t insult girls that openly. They do that shit in secret with their friends, usually. In front of girls they reject them with weird excuses and act all nice. They don’t do the kind of unrealistic bullying like in the pool scene.

Anyway, every side friend in this story except for Izumi and Kuro’s newly introduced childhood friend is a piece of shit. I hope these two main characters find happiness.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Just because you're not strictly unique doesn't mean you're not special, you pint-sized drama queen. Jeeze, it's like you haven't learned a thing from Kurokawa.

Wooper
joined Oct 25, 2015

I'm a not fan of love triangles, but I'm giving the mangaka the benefit of the doubt.

This manga has repeatedly introduced cliché plot moves and then swiftly broken or distorted them.

I hope we get some good growth out of this. Kurokawa's reaction was honest and real to me. I've felt that. It stinks.

The most refreshing thing that could happen for me might be for Kurokawa to actually develop a friendship with this new girl. That said, I still find the new character kind of irksome, but much less than I anticipated.

I agree that the transfer thing was clunky, regardless of the role this girl will play. None of the other characters have stuck around or been fleshed out enough for me to remember them. I wonder how long this character is going to last. Her tie to Kurokawa seems too important for her to just disappear like the rest, but so far this story seems only to have room for two.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It’s a hard kind of emotion to own (as compared to, say, jealousy in a romantic relationship), because it’s so patently unreasonable.

What you're describing just sounds like a special case of jealousy, instead of an entirely different feeling, though maybe I'm just arguing semantics.

No, it’s pretty much the same feeling, the difference being that in a relationship it’s easier to feel justified in being jealous if the partner is flirting or otherwise appearing to be behaving inappropriately.

But not so with a friend or acquaintance who somehow makes you feel special (and that’s what I’m describing as “charismatic”—those somewhat unusual individuals who have the ability to make any person they’re talking to seem special to them; in vampires it’s called “glamour” lol).

Saying to a partner, “I feel jealous when you flirt with so-and-so” may get a variety of standard responses; saying the equivalent to that charismatic person is a big step towards having a restraining order against you.

Your_hair_has_gotten_longer_by_folksneedheroes-d5l5v69
joined Apr 23, 2015

Just because you're not strictly unique doesn't mean you're not special, you pint-sized drama queen. Jeeze, it's like you haven't learned a thing from Kurokawa.

I meant to mention that it was a little bit overdtamatic, though it doesn't come out of nowhere. There was something else bothering me but I can't remember what . . .
initiates terrible acting oh noes. Whatdoido? A perfectly good excuse to reread the who thing. Quite the dilema ;)

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

I never felt I was the "only one" for anyone in anything, so I have no idea what Fujishiro is going through right now.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

There was something else bothering me but I can't remember what . . .
initiates terrible acting oh noes. Whatdoido? A perfectly good excuse to reread the whole thing.

Aaand there you go! You found the right answer all by yourself! I knew you could do it. nod nod

joined Mar 28, 2019

Wow Chapter 11 is great. It’s finally getting into the good parts. It’s finally giving me what I wanted in this series. And darn the black haired girl has gone through a much better transformation! Love her new hair.

The dudes in this are the worst though. What makes me angry is that they are very accurate to a good amount of dudes in real life.

To reply you must either login or sign up.