Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

If I were in those circumstances, and it was my significant other acting like Kase, then I'd strongly consider breaking up. That level of mistrust and jealousy is toxic.

On the other hand, Yamada actually seems to be as helpless as a baby, so perhaps it was warranted. It's like Kase-san is her caretaker as well as her girlfriend. That looked like a perfectly harmless (though probably really boring) event, but for Yamada, it was an existential threat. Who knows what could've happened to her? She'd probably wake up the next day drugged, pregnant, or having unwisely purchased a timeshare.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I can't tell if Kase-san is dangerously possessive, or just a bit overprotective. At first I thought Kase-san forbidding Yamada-san from going to the mixer, was definitely boardering on psycho clingly territory. However, once I really thought it over, I realised that I wouldn't be comfortable with my girlfriend going to a party, set up specifically for hooking guys and girls up together. Although, I would NEVER forbid my girlfriend from going. That seems a bit to "I'm in charge"-ish for my liking.
Add in that Kase-san seemed to understand that, on some level, Yamada-san didn't really want go, maybe Kase-san had the right idea. I still don't like Kase-san forbidding Yamada-san from going though.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I can't tell if Kase-san is dangerously possessive, or just a bit overprotective. At first I thought Kase-san forbidding Yamada-san from going to the mixer, was definitely boardering on psycho clingly territory. However, once I really thought it over, I realised that I wouldn't be comfortable with my girlfriend going to a party, set up specifically for hooking guys and girls up together. Although, I would NEVER forbid my girlfriend from going. That seems a bit to "I'm in charge"-ish for my liking.

Since we westerners clearly have a lacking understanding of the concept of mixers...
Maybe, it's like your partner telling you they are intent on creating a tinder account, with their relationship status as single (since Yamada is far from coming out of the closet in rl)... and with real people... drunk people... who'd make her drunk as well... and a lot more peer pressure... and a lot less anonymity / escape routes...

People generallly don't react well, if they learn their beloved are having an active profile on a dating site, even if their lovers claim that it's just for casual social contacts. Crank that up to 11 because mixers are not virtual.
It's the intent behind the thing (dating-site / mixer) itself, not what the person joining it may actually want that's offending. So Kase was offended and did react as strongly the way she did. "Forbidding" may be too strong, still, but IMO it's easy to understand Kase reacting in the sense of "us being in a relationship =/= you doing that".

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Don’t worry, people—you’re never going to have to put up with Kase-san being too controlling while you’re dating.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I think what we need to accept about these last few chapters is that both sides were in the wrong and that this is fine.

Kase-san may have acted possessive, but that's nothing new and her fears and concerns are understandable. Especially with Yamada being the way she is. The fact that she just hung up on her also probably made her feel especially guilty about it for that week (heck she thought maybe Yamada broke up with her because of it). The real problem here is something else though. The fact that Kase-san does everything she doesn't want Yamada to do, that she wants to be kept informed on all these things, but doesn't do the same in return. She didn't tell Yamada about a one-week trip without contact until the last second (and that seemed to barely have crossed her mind if it hadnt been brought up just in time). She also went to exactly this kind of place herself with her club before, so that certainly reeks of hypocrisy, even if we know she is more faithful to Yamada than a loyal pet dog.

Yamada feeling jealous and left out of the loop is completely understandable and her short-circuit reaction was not completely unjustified. Of course she felt guilty about it too and even thought that Kase-san would break up with her over it (same insecurities between these two), but she still chose to ignore her partner's concerns and fears and bulldoze through it, which is never good. While Kase-san probably understood deep down that this is not the kind of thing Yamada enjoys, she still has to accept however that if a person never steps out of their comfort zone they won't learn new things to enjoy. Yamada didn't do it to spite Kase-san initially, but just to do a friend a favor.

They both overreacted and they both did their best to make up for it.

PS: On the topic of mixers, the general idea is that you have a group of mingling singles, sure, but often many members are just supplementary to have a better mood going (e.g. it's easier for girls to loosen up when they have other girls around them). There are clearly available and non-available members in the make-ups most of the time. And it's more than likely that some will not hit it off with anyone and that's expected.
Now this place clearly isn't a traditional mixer and the policy of "seperate from your friends" is pretty shady to say the least, but in the end nobody has to do anything they don't want to. Yamada wouldn't have taken any alcohol anyway and as we saw, her friend would have dragged her out soon even if Kase-san never went there. It's that kind of trust you build in new friendships.

PSPS: First names are still these girls kryptonite and I'm melting away~~

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Don’t worry, people—you’re never going to have to put up with Kase-san being too controlling while you’re dating.

I'm sorry Kase-san, it's you, not me.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

If I were in those circumstances, and it was my significant other acting like Kase, then I'd strongly consider breaking up. That level of mistrust and jealousy is toxic.

In that situation, I'd first strongly consider talking to the other about it, but that may be just me... My point being, Kase's possessive tendencies are not an issue until Yamada starts finding them uncomfortable and says so (at least to herself).

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 4:03AM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

In that situation, I'd first strongly consider talking to the other about it, but that may be just me... My point being, Kase's possessive tendencies are not an issue until Yamada starts finding them uncomfortable and says so (at least to herself).

Easier to just cut people off and never speak to them again. But you're right, Yamada clearly doesn't have a problem with Kase's behavior. And ultimately, that's all that matters. Also, her realization that she allowed her own irrational jealousy to drive her behavior is important, I think. Yamada had way less cause than Kase to feel jealous, and she acted in a way that ended up being worse for their relationship—she went and did something that made Kase feel bad, whereas Kase ended up showing up when Yamada needed her.

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 6:07AM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Easier to just cut people off and never speak to them again.

Ghosting is evil.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/yamada_to_kase_san_ch04#27

The limitations of applying real-world moral and cultural judgments to relationships involving vat-raised entities . . .

joined Dec 3, 2018

You would break up because your SO was very uncomfortable of you going to a mixer? I just don't get some people here, it's like you live in bizarro world.

The fact that Kase-san does everything she doesn't want Yamada to do... She also went to exactly this kind of place herself with her club before, so that certainly reeks of hypocrisy

When you have to grasp at straws like this you know Kase did nothing wrong but for some reason you are just making shit up to complain about. Going to a cafe for a club meeting is not the same as going to a mixer. It's not hypocrisy, I can't fathom how your mind even jumped to that.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Is it just me or does the cutsey-ness in the sequel feel more forced than in the original? Hm. Maybe my level of cynicism has just increased since then ...

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

The fact that Kase-san does everything she doesn't want Yamada to do... She also went to exactly this kind of place herself with her club before, so that certainly reeks of hypocrisy

When you have to grasp at straws like this you know Kase did nothing wrong but for some reason you are just making shit up to complain about. Going to a cafe for a club meeting is not the same as going to a mixer. It's not hypocrisy, I can't fathom how your mind even jumped to that.

Yes, if you completely ignore everything I wrote inbetween it would be hard to follow a standard line of thought.
The first part refered to what followed right after, the part you conveniently cut out. Kase-san doesnt tell Yamada important things and lives freely without a need to report back to her, something Kase-san doesn't grant Yamada (so much for not being wrong, but alas, those points that you cant refute and ignored just prove me right).

And she specifically said that she went to "this kind of place" before. That seems oddly specific if she wasn't talking about a City Party/mixer. Even in the case if I misinterpreted that point, everything else I said was correct, so I didn't make shit up and you are still dishonest. Good job.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

And she specifically said that she went to "this kind of place" before. That seems oddly specific if she wasn't talking about a City Party/mixer.

Actually, Kase said that she had been to “places like this” when “our club has wrap-up parties.”

I take that to mean the kind of club catering to large groups, not the kind of event like a mixer.

And various manga portray mixers that vary in tone significantly, from fairly mild meet-and-greets designed for group bonding/making new acquaintances to various levels of potential hookup events.

While the “mixer” trope always at least carries the potential for characters to drink too much and do something they’ll regret/have something bad happen to them, I’ve never read a story before where a mixer was quite so obviously a regularly scheduled sleazy date-rape opportunity operation as in this one.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Is it just me or does the cutsey-ness in the sequel feel more forced than in the original? Hm. Maybe my level of cynicism has just increased since then ...

I think it may just be that the conflict seems to have a bit more edge in this one, with less of the sense that we knew it was going to be all right all along, as in most of the previous conflicts and misunderstandings.

So there’s a sharper contrast between the problem and the underlying issue that caused it on the one hand and the characteristically marshmallow-sweet tone of its resolution and aftermath on the other.

joined Dec 3, 2018

Yes, if you completely ignore everything I wrote inbetween it would be hard to follow a standard line of thought.

ignored nothing, your line of thought literally doesn't make any sense.

The first part refered to what followed right after, the part you conveniently cut out. Kase-san doesnt tell Yamada important things and lives freely without a need to report back to her, something Kase-san doesn't grant Yamada

How does she not grant Yamada that? Point out a single time Kase demanded to know everything about what Yamada was planning and doing. She doesn't, she never has. Kase has no problem at all with Yamada going out and making friends, she has a problem when Yamada wants to go to college parties specifically about hooking people up.

And she specifically said that she went to "this kind of place" before. That seems oddly specific if she wasn't talking about a City Party/mixer. Even in the case if I misinterpreted that point, everything else I said was correct, so I didn't make shit up and you are still dishonest. Good job.

No, nothing else you said was correct, just like your misinterpretation about "this kind of place". You are literally making shit up to make Kase look bad so it can fit your "both sides are at fault" BS. There is nothing hypocritical about what Kase did.

Dy
joined Dec 26, 2011

Everyone - Kase included - seems to gloss over this panel.

67413148_p0
joined Jan 22, 2016

I keep expecting that they make out one day, but it just never comes, why

They already made out in the prequel -> ch24

Even more, in the volume release, that chapter is about 10 pages longer and they have on-screen sex.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

1) Kase does trust Yamada.
She doesnt, however, trust drunk guys at mixers. Or guys in general, possibly.

2) Kase went to bars before. Not mixers.
But she knows about almost any social event, at least a lot more than Yamada. Because Kase's social and has social contacts. Wherever she hasn't gone herself, I'm positive one of the chicks from her trackteam ranted on about to another in the locker rooms.

3) Kase knows people, the good and the bad.
See 2. I'm positive, Kase has heard her fair share of horror stories regarding uni-mixers (which may or may not be different from adult / workers' mixers).

4) Kase's pretty bad at sharing her own life and life's event with Yamada.
I'm sure, I recall her having mentioned herself having siblings at some point. Did Yamada ever meet them?
Also, recall the ex-debacle, which again was caused because both of them are bad at communicating.

5) They are both still learning, but for sure need to learn how to share and ask questions.
Communication is very important, girls!

6) The mixer was basically a rehash of the apron.
In both cases Kase seemed unreasonable. Being strongly against something. Yamada did it nevertheless. Guys were involved. Things went wrong for Yamada and Kase rescued her.
What do these two events have in common:

7) Sometimes Kase thinks two steps ahead.
She's really bad at communicating that, however. But 1 and 3 apply. It's not Yamada she's worried about, but Yamada she's worried for. Because she knew the apron would cause boys to notice Yamada in a (bad) way she wasn't ready for, just as Yamada going to a mixer did.
While Kase's not perfect herself, she's aware of things Yamada isn't. Especially when it comes to people, and especially when it comes to (the worst kind of) guys. (Because, let's face it, Kase's thirst levels equal those of a horny teenage boy She literally knows how guys will perceive Yamada..)

8) I really don't get the Hana-to-the-rescue arguement.
Hana was in such a rush to get to her food, she didn't bat an eye over her perception of A FLUSTERED YAMADA HAVING JUST EXITED A BATHROOM STALL WITH A GUY SHE JUST MET. She barely gave Yamada the chance to speak, Yamada didn't have a calm / happy expression in any of these panels.... just saying, that she wouldn't have been able to tell if Yamada was in distress if she actually was, or would react accordingly. Heck, she even advertised Yamada to 'the guy'.
(I gotta admit, Kase's quite handsome and that may have given Hana a much better / cleaner impression than any drunk dude could have. But that's just visuals, which isn't Hana's strongest suit anyhow; Kase never uttered a sound.)

joined Sep 1, 2017

After reading the discussion, and rereading the last couple chapters, I'm fairly sure it's simply a communication issue. I understand why Kase-san wouldn't want her shy and naive girlfriend going to a mixer, where there would probably be predatory boys that could easily take advantage of her. I'm still not a fan of forbidding Yamada-san to go.
I also understand Yamada-san's unease about how little she knows about, what goes on in Kase-san's life. I would be pissed too, if my girlfriend told me she was leaving for a week, the night before she left. It make feel like I was an afterthought.
I don't think Kase-san was intentionally being a hypocrite, demanding to know what goes on in Yamada-san's life, while purposely hiding what she is doing. I just think Kase-san didn't feel meeting up with her team, at a club, after practice, was newsworthy. Still I could see how finding out, that your girlfriend had aspects of her life, you didn't know about, would be a shock, especially to a person like Yamada-san, who's been an open book, for Kase-san.
Both girls were too stubborn and scared to get in touch after the fight. Good thing Kase-san braved rejection, to rescue Yamada-san from that shady date rape mixer.

Edit: The conversation between Kase-san and her roommate shows us that Kase-san is both a bit airheaded, and absent minded. It's good bet Kase-san just forgets to tell Yamada-san a lot of stuff. Like she is going out of town for a week, and will be incommunicado for a while.

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 5:17PM

joined May 1, 2013

What on earth is wrong with these girls at the mixer? "Oh, hey, it's a woman with huge breasts who's dressed like Agent Scully. CLEARLY that means it's a man!"

This manga treats 'innocence' really, really weirdly. It's seems, like, literally unthinkable for the author that Yamada's friend just assumed Yamada had picked up a girl to go home with. It's somehow more plausible that she'd perceive an obvious girl as a boy.

I think the very weird innocence themes (which have been an issue from the beginning: Yamada acts like she doesn't know what sex is even after they've had sex) is part of why people are squicked out by this chapter.

joined Sep 1, 2017

What on earth is wrong with these girls at the mixer? "Oh, hey, it's a woman with huge breasts who's dressed like Agent Scully. CLEARLY that means it's a man!"

I'm with you on that one. Kase-san was wearing a skirt for pete's sake. It's like saying these girls are so desperate for a guy they'll throw themselves at anyone who's remotely masculine.

This manga treats 'innocence' really, really weirdly. It's seems, like, literally unthinkable for the author that Yamada's friend just assumed Yamada had picked up a girl to go home with. It's somehow more plausible that she'd perceive an obvious girl as a boy.

As for Hanna-chan mistaking Kase-san as a guy, that one was at least plausible. Hanna-chan couldn't see very well do to the non-prescription contacts. I mean, I'm pretty sure that Hanna-chan met Kase-san before, and Hanna-chan didn't recognise her.

I think the very weird innocence themes (which have been an issue from the beginning: Yamada acts like she doesn't know what sex is even after they've had sex) is part of why people are squicked out by this chapter.

I think a lot of manga get weirdly hung up with innocent female characters. So I'm willing to that a pass.

last edited at Feb 22, 2019 5:46PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

After reading the discussion, and rereading the last couple chapters, I'm fairly sure it's simply a communication issue. I understand why Kase-san wouldn't want her shy and naive girlfriend going to a mixer, where there would probably be predatory boys that could easily take advantage of her. I'm still not a fan of forbidding Yamada-san to go.
I also understand Yamada-san's unease about how little she knows about, what goes on in Kase-san's life. I would be pissed too, if my girlfriend told me she was leaving for a week, the night before she left. It make feel like I was an afterthought.
I don't think Kase-san was intentionally being a hypocrite, demanding to know what goes on in Yamada-san's life, while purposely hiding what she is doing. I just think Kase-san didn't feel meeting up with her team, at a club, after practice, was newsworthy. Still I could see how finding out, that your girlfriend had aspects of her life, you didn't know about, would be a shock, especially to a person like Yamada-san, who's been an open book, for Kase-san.

I definitely agree that this is all a communication issue, but I wouldn’t say that Yamada is quite an “open book” to Kase. She should be—readers know that the only complicated thing about Yamada is that she overthinks everything from a naive perspective—but remember how many times Kase thinks that Yamada is ready to dump her or is out of sorts with her (Okinawa, the not sticking around at the track meets, this incident) when it’s really Yamada being insecure about Kase.

Kase does regularly “rescue” Yamada from unwanted male attention, but it’s never to control her or force her to be the way Kase wants her to be—it’s always when Yamada is obviously in distress (or, as in this case, is highly likely to be). And afterwards she doesn’t lecture Yamada or condescend to her (mostly because she’s only slightly more experienced and sophisticated than Yamada).

Both girls were too stubborn and scared to get in touch after the fight. Good thing Kase-san braved rejection, to rescue Yamada-san from that shady date rape mixer.

Edit: The conversation between Kase-san and her roommate shows us that Kase-san is both a bit airheaded, and absent minded. It's good bet Kase-san just forgets to tell Yamada-san a lot of stuff. Like she is going out of town for a week, and will be incommunicado for a while.

Yes, I think readers tend to project some of Yamada’s admiration onto Kase (Yamada thinks, “Kase-san is such an adult!”), but she really is (or can be) like Inoue-senpai says = “She’s a good kid, but a bit of a blockhead.”

I would like to see some more substantive character development for Yamada. She’s in college, she’s moved away from home, she’s found her way around Tokyo a bit, so she should be showing at least a few more signs of actually maturing (as opposed to aspiring to mature but not actually doing much of it.)

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

I'm with you on that one. Kase-san was wearing a skirt for pete's sake. It's like saying these girls are so desperate for a guy they'll throw themselves at anyone who's remotely masculine.

Not sure, what you're getting at. The girls were taken in by Kase's handsome face :P
Also, they were sitting, bars can be tight and in this case additionally crowded, furniture and people obstructing line of sight. So there's a good chance they didn't properly see her full body (and we know, Kase's well-toned / muscular and rather tall for a girl). And the two upper left panels on page 3 make it obvious they are disappointed that the cool newcomer is a girl. And once again for her name being clearly a girl's name in the first panel of p5. They are not throwing themselves at Kase. But with those nonomo-faced dudes as competition, gorgeous Kase caught their eyes, aaaand she offers them free drinks ;)

1) Let's not forget, we're talking about Japan, in public no less. It's a far too complex topic to get into detail here, but half-blind Hana assuming Kase's gender being male for being close with Yamada at a mixer, is simply her judging by default. Especially since 2) Hana's been apparently only been a little less socially / socio-culturally inactive than Yamada - and that's not innocence but ignorance = "lack of knowledge or information". And in Hana's additional defense: 3) Kase was mostly standing half behind Yamada who at least partially covered her up to include her legs, chest and name-tag.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that Hanna-chan met Kase-san before, and Hanna-chan didn't recognise her.

...if we are to take the chapters chronological - and take the flashback, booty-call one-shot and valentine's special out:
Ch4 had Yamada meet Hana and befriend her, Kase learns about her when out with Yamada and Mikawacchi. At the end of the chapter Hana shows Yamada the mixer add. The next chapter (7) picks up with the phone call; Yamada telling Kase about said mixer. The very next day Kase went on her one week long trip, which she basically just returned from minutes before entering the mixer. That and Kase being all "she's a good girl" & "she's kinda like Yamada" about Hana in ch 8 seem like her digesting a first impression.
So... no, I am positive Kase has not met Hana before this.

Ignorance of one may give another a chance to "educate" them on... stuff. So, it's an ..."interesting" and rather ..."versatile" trope. ehem
But I'd argue, that it's not Yamada not knowing what sex is (by now), but having had sex didn't suddenly cure her from being shy, self-conscious, insecure and overthinking. It's her remaining in-character. IMO there is a learning curve, however. A slow, but steady one. (Yamada wasn't against the kissing itself nor shocked by Kase's declaration of love, but weirded out by the "here!?" aka "in a public restroom" factor of it.)

To reply you must either login or sign up.