Forum › Kanojo ni Naritai Kimi to Boku discussion

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

. And attacking this manga for being clichéd is... strange, considering there has probably not been a single one ever that depicted an mtf x ftm childhood friend high school romance, or an mtf x tomboyish cis girl if that's where it's headed instead.

you mean like horou musuko? which while i didn't like where some of the story led to, was miles better than this story. not to say this one is bad...but akira wanting to be friends with a girl who is blatantly being a total asshole to your one friend who has always stood up for you is fucking stupid.

last edited at Feb 20, 2019 4:41PM

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

it is true though, ignoring that fact is like ignoring the whole struggle of trans people.

I fail to see how intersex persons existing is even tangentially dismissive of trans persons, especially since one does not preclude the other.

i was trying to say the opposite actually XD I was refuring to that there are only x and y cromosons and dismising thoughs is kinda like saying being gay is a choice

I have no clue what you even mean by this but to clarify I wasn't saying human sex determination involved chromosomes besides X and Y I was disputing the idea that XX and XY are the only possible arrangements of them because it's patently false and there are numerous other possible arrangements. Dismantling the idea of the gender and sex binaries does nothing but help trans people.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

it is true though, ignoring that fact is like ignoring the whole struggle of trans people.

I fail to see how intersex persons existing is even tangentially dismissive of trans persons, especially since one does not preclude the other.

i was trying to say the opposite actually XD I was refuring to that there are only x and y cromosons and dismising thoughs is kinda like saying being gay is a choice

I have no clue what you even mean by this but to clarify I wasn't saying human sex determination involved chromosomes besides X and Y I was disputing the idea that XX and XY are the only possible arrangements of them because it's patently false and there are numerous other possible arrangements. Dismantling the idea of the gender and sex binaries does nothing but help trans people.

ohhhh ok so it was just a misunderstanding XD ignore me.

last edited at Feb 20, 2019 6:06PM

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

really don't want to wade into any arguing, i'll just say that as a trans girl, i'm definitely enjoying this one. nice to see any manga, let alone a yuri, where a trans girl is accepted as a woman by the author and some of the characters right away. All too often is trans stuff a mess of misgendering and bad jokes.

i do think that hime crossdressing to try to make things easier for akira is a bit off base. like, unless hime is transgender, that behavior is just reducing the validity of akira coming out. especially when it looks like there will be a lot of hurdles for her, regarding acceptance. "look, i'm doing it too, so deal with it" might make it seem to some that neither of them is serious about being treated the way they want. hopefully things will work out. :)

very excited to see more of this one.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Regardless of Hime-chan's sexuality or gender, aren't we all, including the interloper, missing a point here? That Hime will slap a fool.

BTW although her personal name typically brings to mind "princess" and her family name has cherry blossoms in it, making it a very feminine name overall, it's always written in katakana which you don't do I think the majority of time (however, there are as many Himes with Sun in their name as Princess if not more). I think katakana vs hiragana is for emphasis that she has a princess name but is not a princess.

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

. And attacking this manga for being clichéd is... strange, considering there has probably not been a single one ever that depicted an mtf x ftm childhood friend high school romance, or an mtf x tomboyish cis girl if that's where it's headed instead.

you mean like horou musuko? which while i didn't like where some of the story led to, was miles better than this story. not to say this one is bad...but akira wanting to be friends with a girl who is blatantly being a total asshole to your one friend who has always stood up for you is fucking stupid.

It is and it isn't. On balance I think it's brilliant in a way. Main purpose is, of course, to create conflict and drama for the readers. But it also reflects that Akira is so self-conscious she's really not aware of any overtones. I think we're meant to reflect on what she means by implying the interloper would be her first real normal girl friend. It might be like Sasameki Koto - Hime isn't cute, so she doesn't think of her as a real girl. Maybe catching her from falling in gym class is a first step towards seeing her in a new light. Maybe she thinks of her as a sister. We are seeing everything from Hime's POV after all. She doesn't seem to keep anything to herself and Akira keeps most things to herself. That's how I see it. I agree Horou Musuko is better but the woman who created that and Aoi Hana is a pretty high bar.

so it is a yuri?

Setsuko2
joined Jan 20, 2014

It is and it isn't. On balance I think it's brilliant in a way. Main purpose is, of course, to create conflict and drama for the readers. But it also reflects that Akira is so self-conscious she's really not aware of any overtones. I think we're meant to reflect on what she means by implying the interloper would be her first real normal girl friend. It might be like Sasameki Koto - Hime isn't cute, so she doesn't think of her as a real girl. Maybe catching her from falling in gym class is a first step towards seeing her in a new light. Maybe she thinks of her as a sister. We are seeing everything from Hime's POV after all. She doesn't seem to keep anything to herself and Akira keeps most things to herself. That's how I see it.

i guess it's just frustrating for me to see it because i would never ever put a friend in a spot like that, no matter what. so makes it hard to read.

I agree Horou Musuko is better but the woman who created that and Aoi Hana is a pretty high bar.

yea, that's why i didn't want to compare, just that this one is not the first to have this set up. like i said this one is still good i think.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

Aughh now introducing the meddling third character who's just around to be irritating but Akira will still desperately want her to like her because she wants to be accepted, even if she is being a dick to her best mate

I have 0 interest in this new character

Screen%20shot%202017-11-22%20at%201.04.04%20pm
joined Nov 18, 2017

Possible yuri tag? Yes? No? I mean, this female does have a crush on Akira, who is also female, and seems to still do even now, so...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

PureShipper posted:

Possible yuri tag? Yes? No? I mean, this female does have a crush on Akira, who is also female, and seems to still do even now, so...

Nope. That Anzu person just seem to think Akira is "adorbs", like a cute animal. I don't sense any romantic interest there. And Akira just wants a female friend that doesn't treat her like some oddity.

But Akira is kind of insensitive. "This might be the first time a girl hasn't be creeped out by me right from the start".

Hello there? Is Hime some kind of furniture?

Anyway, I think Akira is going to be disappointed by Anzu really fast.

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

looks like childhoods friends always suffer and gender doesn't matter

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Yeah, Anzu was giving off pretty hard chaser vibes from the get go and here we are. Also the whole "laugh it off" thing rubs me the wrong way real bad because it's exactly what the majority always tells minorities they're mistreating to get them to just put up with that mistreatment. Get mad, fight for your rights and basic human dignity its the only way you'll keep either.

Tiny%20melon
joined Oct 17, 2014

This manga really knows how to keep me hoping for more! Anzu's a terrible person and her real intentions are terrible too but that moment where she stood up for Akira was really admirable. I don't have enough background with relations to lgbt enough but the characters are really acting how high school kids act like, that is, questioning yourself as a person and reflecting on your actions. Definitely a good choice Hachimitsu

joined Jan 11, 2018

I knew it! I had a feeling about that girl!

joined Feb 18, 2015

Well, in chapter 6, Anzu shows her true colors AND proves that she doesn't understand Akira at ALL, since she asked her to be her "BOYFRIEND" and not her "GIRLFRIEND". Hopefully Akira will NOT accept her offer and will figure out the real reason Hime has been freaking out and help her get over her "but we're both girls" issues.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

"boyfriend".

Okay, Anzu just went up in flames.

Proof she didn't understand Akira at all. She thought she was dressing that way just to be unique, or different. Like when you dress in Goth, Grunge, Afro, whatever, style.

And laugh it off? It just reinforces people into thinking that this is just a joke and not your identity. I think Akira is really confused (which is normal though).

And Hime has yet to make that leap of faith into confessing to Akira. Because she never thought that she would fall in love with a girl.

last edited at Feb 21, 2019 10:58AM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Did she really say "boyfriend"? Or lover?

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Symphogeah posted:

Did she really say "boyfriend"? Or lover?

It's two different words. I doubt translator would make that kind of mistake.

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

@Symphogeah
She does explicitly say boyfriend (彼氏) in the raws, yes.

Luci%20skyline%20(icon%20200)
joined Feb 28, 2013

I kinda want to see Hime light Anzu on fire

C1147d3190ae4c0815cc862bce35952975d3857e072e7b6bef6e34b56d95dd83
joined Nov 12, 2017

oh my sweet summer child; u find out ur crush isn’t the gender u think they r & that’s not an immediate turn off? yeah ur not straight

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

Aughh now introducing the meddling third character who's just around to be irritating but Akira will still desperately want her to like her because she wants to be accepted, even if she is being a dick to her best mate

I have 0 interest in this new character

Whaaat? She's just so adorbs! And funny too. And her tall, quiet friend probably has a big crush on her to get a 'true yuri' tag going for us all.

There is XX and XY, all the other variations are incredibly rare, and still largely unrelated to sexual orientation.

Hime love Akira if 'he' is a boy or 'she' is a girl: She's Akira-sexual!

Marion Diabolito
joined Jan 5, 2015

The meddling third character is a hallowed tradition dating back at least as far as Citrus. It seems necessary to keep your manga published. To be fair romance is not really romance without rivals. Also, people reading ahead in the raws please spoiler the spoilers.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

The meddling third character is a hallowed tradition dating back at least as far as Citrus. It seems necessary to keep your manga published. To be fair romance is not really romance without rivals. Also, people reading ahead in the raws please spoiler the spoilers.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious here or not but I have read literally hundreds of romance stories without rivals.

To reply you must either login or sign up.