joined Nov 13, 2018

Looks promising so far!

Transtoasticon2
joined Feb 11, 2018

oh wow, I really love this!? Excited to see some more trans centered manga here

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Meh. Based on description I thought it will be good, but it was way over the top and shouty. It didn't feel like it was taking itself seriously.

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

"This isn't cosplay".. so she's a boy? The tittle seems to hint it since she refers herself as "Boku".

last edited at Feb 17, 2019 10:47AM

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

Yeah I'm getting the feeling that Hime is gonna come out as trans too. It'll be cute and interesting to have a manga that has both transfem and transmasc characters

Img_20190218_113359
joined Feb 14, 2019

I really like Hime Chan

last edited at Feb 17, 2019 9:49AM

joined Jun 30, 2015

"This isn't cosplay".. so she's a boy?

People are using the word "cosplay" wrong and I don't even bother try to correct them...

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Yeah I'm getting the feeling that Hime is gonna come out as trans too. It'll be cute and interesting to have a manga that has both transfem and transmasc characters

Like Wandering Son, but without the surprise switch toward the end? That was actually pretty sad when Takatsuki was essentially pushed out of the manga

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I'm doubtful.

I suspend my judgment for the time being, but this manga starts as a bit anvilicious.

Actually, the math teacher is right. At this moment, it's merely cosplay: she "plays" at being a boy, whereas Akira doesn't play at being a girl. She's unwittingly making fun of Akira. The uniform doesn't make the gender.

She's right to call out the first teacher, Akira shouldn't be seen as "pitiful", but Hime is too aggressive.

last edited at Feb 17, 2019 10:54AM

Profile%20picture%20leaaaaaaaaaaaaf
joined Jan 27, 2019

It’s a “boy meets girl” story but with extra steps

4fe5eecd-bb71-4108-8d32-020d4e723c02
joined Oct 3, 2018

Hime is too aggressive.

I’d love more friends like Hime. People who will actually confront an asshole instead of only saying the right thing when they know everyone else in the room is going to nod along.

(Admittedly, switching uniforms as a sign of support is a bit self-serving and way misses the mark.)

Like Wandering Son, but without the surprise switch toward the end? That was actually pretty sad when Takatsuki was essentially pushed out of the manga

That “twist” felt so arbitrary that I just ended up not regarding it as part of the story.

last edited at Feb 17, 2019 11:40AM

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

Meh. Feels a lot like trans advocacy instead of an interesting manga.

Also the fact that the trans girl looks like a guy and seems totally dumb is super annoying.

Seems like one of those mangas written by 'allies'...

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

JazzLafayette posted:

Hime is too aggressive.

I’d love more friends like Hime. People who will actually confront an asshole instead of only saying the right thing when they know everyone else in the room is going to nod along.

In this instance, it is a disservice to Akira. A scolding has to be coming from someone they respect, or fear, not from a peer they met 10 minutes ago. They are high-schoolers. I get that the guy next desk is an asshole (a typical one at that), but dialogue can go a long way. If she had started to explain a bit more to the class what her relationship with Akira is and how she's perfectly normal and can't be reduced to her body being male and give them a chance to understand, maybe Akira wouldn't be so flustered. Akira obviously cares a lot about Hime.

I have a hunch that the math teacher is going to set things on the right track. He seems to be a no-nonsense guy.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Sylke posted:

Also the fact that the trans girl looks like a guy and seems totally dumb is super annoying.

What?

joined Jan 6, 2017

If she just came out as trans to the public she hasn't had the time to start looking like a girl (like learning how to use make up or growing out her hair).

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I didn't know that wearing make-up and having long hair was a mandatory part of being a girl.

I didn't even know that "'looking like a girl" was mandatory also.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Sylke posted:

Also the fact that the trans girl looks like a guy

Seems pretty clearly she didn't start hormone therapy yet, so of course she will look like a guy. In fact it is one of few things I liked about it. That trans person didn't also happen to look completely feminine/androgynous and passing without any issue or effort.

last edited at Feb 17, 2019 12:04PM

joined Aug 9, 2018

rip sensei

Screenshot_2020-06-05%20dorian%20electra%20has%20a%20full%20on%20broment
joined Jun 20, 2017

Why? Does every trans character have to fit the "boy prettier than a girl" archetype? This is a reasonable scenario, she not being on hormone therapy and developing male characteristics due to puberty. Trans acceptance shouldn't be reserved to those who "pass".

also, no work of fiction is automatically less interesting for defending a cause. Sure, if it's designed to be didactic and only that, it can lead to something boring or downright condescending. But if you jump to that conclusion just because of the trans thematics, the problem is on you.

Not saying this manga is great literature (I can only put Kabi Nagata here) but it has something going for it.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Nevri posted:

Sylke posted:

Also the fact that the trans girl looks like a guy

Seems pretty clearly she didn't start hormone therapy yet

She doesn't even have to start it ever.

Does she want to transition?

It's not mentioned, so I won't make assumptions about it.

And I liked it too that this manga didn't make Akira a "trap".

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

"This isn't cosplay".. so she's a boy?

People are using the word "cosplay" wrong and I don't even bother try to correct them...

I think that's the whole point? It isn't 'cosplay' for Akira-chan and also not for Hime-chan either. But they are doing it for entirely different reasons.

And I liked it too that this manga didn't make Akira a "trap".

This!
And Hime was always a 'tomboy' but it looks like both are entirely hetero... though Akira might be gay? Either way he is certainly thick-skulled to not notice Hime's feelings, geez!

Looks like a lot of 'over the top' fun!! And the teacher will probably sort it out in the long run.

Also: It's good that not everyone just falls all over themselves to accept it. Hime's 2 friends seem to have no issue with it, perhaps they'd seen it a few times before? But almost everyone else (including Akira's Dad) will at least be hesitant about it.

Girl meets boy, girl loses boy but gets a girl! Lolz!

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

5Cats posted:

he is

Nishiki%20gosu%20rori%20dark%20hair%20sm
joined Jan 11, 2015

"This isn't cosplay".. so she's a boy? The tittle seems to hint it since she refers herself as "Boku".

Reading the raws, none of the (so far 4) important characters refer to themselves as "boku" — they all use "watashi" (e.g. Akira) or "atashi" — so I'm not sure who the "I" is in the title.

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

5Cats posted:

he is

Nooooo! That would just be stupid then... Oh wait, did you mean 'thick-skulled' or that other thing? Lolz

Even if he is (that other thing) maybe they can still have a nice, clean lesbian relationship! Or both be gay males? Anyhow they ought to make babies together, that's for sure.

last edited at Feb 17, 2019 2:09PM

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

Hime is very tomboyish for sure, but I hope that's not her defining reasoning if she comes out as a trans guy especially after being called a "boy" because she's outwardly aggressive. That'd just be sort of poor writing in my eyes as it just plays into gender stereotypes to begin with. minor nitpick, I guess, but I hate the concept that you have to act stereotypically feminine/masculine to be trans. Mermaid Line with Ayumi and Aika handled this REALLY well for how short it was. Will be interesting to follow though I suppose.

To reply you must either login or sign up.