Forum › Yuri Lover-san and Serious Yuri-san discussion

joined Feb 23, 2016

Damn... this was..

joined Feb 18, 2015

The only REALLY funny part was that the friend she called to get the report from when she couldn't get it from her roommate appeared to be on a date with another girl, thus disproving her theory even further...

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

The only REALLY funny part was that the friend she called to get the report from when she couldn't get it from her roommate appeared to be on a date with another girl, thus disproving her theory even further...

Makes me wish the story was about the side couple instead. Probably would have had funnier jokes.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

That was the best goddamn fluff I've read in a while. No contest.

joined Nov 27, 2017

Wow. Unexpected level of harshness in the comments today.

People fetishizing queer people in media and then turning around and being gross about IRL queer folks hits a bit too close to home for me to find the humour in it.

Yeah I mean, you get to "Yurifag" and you're just done. Like what the fuck, be less homophobic about it you hypocritical ass.

Straight yuri fans are such a bizarre concept to me.

Fact: most yuri fans are males and straight.

No that's just a yaoi thing. (It being primarily consumed by fetishizing straight women) Yuri is primarily consumed by women. It's usually written for and often by women.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 10:36PM

joined Jul 16, 2018

How is using "yurifag" homophobic though...x-fag usually means shitty fan. The comedy was pretty bad nevertheless.

That's more of a 4chan thing and definitely isn't something that is on most of the internet, so it is completely reasonable for people to get angry at it.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

This could be an educational device, as it's a good example of a relationship doomed to fail if it ever does start up.

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I liked it.

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Cute

Ayuwaka
joined May 27, 2018

This is why tsunderes isn't really good for yuri stories.

Charon-sml
joined Feb 14, 2016

Hauteclere posted:

I liked...parts of it. I think there's value to the idea, but it needs more care than this.

I think the properly-considered version of this idea is basically Still Sick

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

Just about the only funny thing, for me, was the tsundere bit. Aside form those two panels, I found this more cringe-worthy than amusing. A lesbian who is constantly pushing someone who is not interested, and a straight girl who is using the other's emotional attachment to halve her bills. I can see this used successfully for comedy (or delicious crappy dorama, offers a prayer to Kodama) but this particular instance falls flat for me.

Straight yuri fans are such a bizarre concept to me.

Fact: most yuri fans are males and straight.

Not true, the majority of yuri fans are women

Not by much, though, if you go through the survey Nez linked, it is actually closer to half-half, though women are slightly more numerous.

Ayuwaka
joined May 27, 2018

The classic tsundere starts out hostile and shows their sweet side over time. The modern tsundere switches back and forth between sweet and hostile. Reiko is neither of those things.

She playing hard to get, that's tsundere.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Claris posted:

The classic tsundere starts out hostile and shows their sweet side over time. The modern tsundere switches back and forth between sweet and hostile. Reiko is neither of those things.

Unless, gasp, she really has no interest so she is honest when refusing.

Shithead
joined Oct 23, 2018

this is basically citrus shoved into a meat grinder

Ayuwaka
joined May 27, 2018

"Playing hard to get" is a trope onto itself. A tsundere doesn't play hard to get, they switch between the irritable and the sweet sides of their personality (modern), or they evolve from irritable to sweet (classic). (You can look this up on TVTropes.) Playing hard to get necessitates a plan or at least intent, while the tsundere has no conscious plan or intent behind the actions that make them tsundere. That said, a tsundere can technically play hard to get, but that just means playing both tropes at the same time.

I don't think japanese peps use TVTropes, nope they didn't even know.
Tsundere is their own term not western. And "playing hard to get" is something the tsunderes always do.

Nezchan Moderator
Meiling%20bun%20150px
joined Jun 28, 2012

"Playing hard to get" is a trope onto itself. A tsundere doesn't play hard to get, they switch between the irritable and the sweet sides of their personality (modern), or they evolve from irritable to sweet (classic). (You can look this up on TVTropes.) Playing hard to get necessitates a plan or at least intent, while the tsundere has no conscious plan or intent behind the actions that make them tsundere. That said, a tsundere can technically play hard to get, but that just means playing both tropes at the same time.

I don't think japanese peps use TVTropes, nope they didn't even know.
Tsundere is their own term not western. And "playing hard to get" is something the tsunderes always do.

"Playing hard to get" is a much, much older thing than TV Tropes, or even the term "trope" being used in this sense. But it's a lot different from the typical tsundere since "playing hard to get" generally implies the person doing it wants to be got and this is a method of flirting, where almost every tsundere I've seen is doing it to cover up shyness or embarrassment (or in some cases social awkwardness) and isn't doing it as a deliberate prelude to being won over.

joined Mar 8, 2016

How is using "yurifag" homophobic though...x-fag usually means shitty fan. The comedy was pretty bad nevertheless.

That's more of a 4chan thing and definitely isn't something that is on most of the internet, so it is completely reasonable for people to get angry at it.

I question what the original text said on this one. Given the source it smacks of "translation liberties" intended to get a laugh out of /u/ and not in the spirit of the original. Either way this isn't very good as a whole, but I feel like you can put that particular crappy word choice squarely on the translator.

joined Feb 24, 2019

I enjoyed this one. It is far from perfect, but it had jokes that amused me which was all I was really looking for. Some of the ideas and terminology used were either outdated or just outright bad, but I can't say I hated the characters or the story. It felt like the author had an idea (the title) and just ran with it in a way that felt natural to them and it turned out fine.

Ak12-an94
joined Mar 10, 2018

XD ♥

joined May 26, 2021

ya know, people being super harsh on this and others feeling bad for the translator...
...do you all think there's someone missing in here?
just me? no?
poor raika

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Yeah... gonna go with tsundere there. Talking about a girl who shares room, bath and bed with someone who's very, very obviously in love with her and not hiding it, so "she's actually not interested" isn't exactly what strikes me as the best interpretation.

Of course, the fact that they're both over-the-top in their respective category is part of the humor, which not everyone will like.

Also, I guess I might relate a bit too much to the girl who likes romance in 2D but is disillusioned about things being as nice in 3D, and so pretends not to be interested.

To reply you must either login or sign up.