Forum › Slow Start discussion

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Oh my..this chapter is great <3

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Oho. Eiko can dish it out, but when it's coming from sensei she can't take it. Seeing these two interact is wonderful.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

Eiko's heart... too many doki doki's, can't see straight anymore. Not that she ever did.

45b4e36d555ca184502130f8249354c2--flcl-furi-kuri2
joined Jul 19, 2018

Sensei and eiko are sailing and no one added the Yuri tag yet?

I suggested Yuri crush back in April and it's still "pending". :/

I second the motion.

It's weird how under used the yuri crush tag is when in a lot of these types of stories that get a subtext label it would actually be a lot more appropriate.

Often the crush tag gets skipped over completely such as with "Room for Two" which explicitly has one of the MCs crushing on her roommate from the very start in chapter 1. That manga doesn't really have subtext at all, but rather one very thirsty lesbian wanting to get together with her incredibly chill and laid back roommate, yet it had nothing but a subtext tag for ages.

This was despite the one girl constantly making comments about how beautiful her roommate is, exclaiming they should get married, sleeping together, drunkenly mauling and kissing her etc. and then when the tag finally did get changed it went strait to the yuri tag even though the relationship could still debatably be considered one sided as far as romance goes. So why was it never at any point given the yuri crush tag which to this day still makes for a better descriptor of the what the story is about?

I think the subtext tag is misused a lot, and the example I provided is just one of countless similar cases. People would do well to look up and remind themselves what subtext really means. Seeing one or more female characters unambiguously show romantic attraction to another female isn't subtext. Subtext is never outright stated or it ceases to be subtext and is simply text.

Yuri crush is a perfect tag for any series that has one or more females that are explicitly shown to be attracted to other females, but in which an actual relationship has not blossomed which honestly is a description that fits at least half of the series on here that get stamped with subtext instead.

19243370_189319978264256_7134889760776107126_o
joined Dec 26, 2014

You weren't kidding about it being one of the best chapters, forehead kiss is enough for a yuri tag right? She wasn't drunk, she clearly wasn't. And now more characters than Tama know about them.

Maybe we should wait for then to hold hands lol

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

I second the motion.

It's weird how under used the yuri crush tag is when in a lot of these types of stories that get a subtext label it would actually be a lot more appropriate.

Often the crush tag gets skipped over completely such as with "Room for Two" which explicitly has one of the MCs crushing on her roommate from the very start in chapter 1. That manga doesn't really have subtext at all, but rather one very thirsty lesbian wanting to get together with her incredibly chill and laid back roommate, yet it had nothing but a subtext tag for ages.

This was despite the one girl constantly making comments about how beautiful her roommate is, exclaiming they should get married, sleeping together, drunkenly mauling and kissing her etc. and then when the tag finally did get changed it went strait to the yuri tag even though the relationship could still debatably be considered one sided as far as romance goes. So why was it never at any point given the yuri crush tag which to this day still makes for a better descriptor of the what the story is about?

I would argue that, in that case, Kasumi has shown both acceptance and reciprocation of Sakurako's feelings, in her own laid back way. No, she's nowhere near as blatant and straightforward about it as Sakurako, but that's because that's not her personality. Yeah, she's low-key about it, but that's because she's low-key about everything. It doesn't mean she doesn't care.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I'd totally be up for an uninhabited island arc. Palm leaf bikinis ahoy ...

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo
joined Apr 24, 2014

<3

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

That was amazing :)

But there was some stuff I didn't get on page 73 -

The 'even a kitten can scare off it's prey' - who is the kitten? Tokura wasn't really scared off, but Sensei certainly wasn't. Tokura was a lot more the innocent one in this exchange- and calling sensei a kitten doesn't fit her- and she isn't the one doing the hunting. Well, she might be, I guess? So who is the kitten and the prey?

I wonder too what Enami meant by 'it wasn't a play'? Does she mean it was serious?
Why exactly does her friend state Enami hasn't got drunk at all today, and Sensei make a point of saying she has been saying that all along?

And what's with the last panel? What is her friends 'Arrg, adults are so filthy!' line about? and Enami responding with 'I was just telling the truth?' I don't get these at all- they seem to be talking about different things.

And wtf is the 'it's falling off' and 'my wig!' line about? Is that background chat or them? Why would she be wearing a wig and it be mentioned in passing in the last panel? I don't get this panel at all?

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 3:19AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

P.s How come when chapters for this appear they are not mentioned on the front page OR the recently added page?

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 4:15AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

P.s How come when chapters for this appear they are not mentioned on the front page OR the recently added page?

What? It's right there on both...

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

But there was some stuff I didn't get on page 73 -

1) Might've botched the translation, but it's basically Eiko making another analogy on how her attempt to tease Enami backfired. Kittens may be cute but they can still scratch your hands up real good if you're too careless.

2) Eiko thought Enami was drunk when she was fooling around, but it is confirmed she wasn't. Part of the fun is that you don't know what she's truly thinking.

3) Filthy as in "dirty cheaters".

4) Nishimura is a crossdressing male (see ch24). He hasn't really gotten enough focus thus far to determine what his deal is (ie. sexuality/gender identity/etc.) but he seems to be an LGBT ally if Enami's comfortable getting drunk around him.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

@luinthoron How come it doesn't show on my list? So this last chapter appears for you on recently added under 11th feb? I have 4 things listed there, no slow start.

@ Goggled Anon Thanks for the info :) I totally missed that male symbol after Nishimura's name in ch24 - I think because it's not drawn very clear it didn't register.

But I still don't get why Nishimura is saying adults are filthy (or dirty cheaters)- who cheated at what? If he is talking about Enami saying she wasn't drunk, I dont get it- she isn't- and hasn't claimed to be.. I thought Nishimura might be talking about how Enami was teasing her young student- though thats not much clearer.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Yes, I can see it on both the front page (oldest Feb 11 release) and on the Recently Added page (oldest Feb 12 addition, with a release date of Feb 11).

I can also see 5 additions on Feb 11 and 7 on Feb 12, or release date-wise on the front page 6 releases from Feb 11, so that 4 of yours is very strange...

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 12:00PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

But I still don't get why Nishimura is saying adults are filthy (or dirty cheaters)- who cheated at what?

Just that she's a sly studentfucker who don't play by the rules.

As for the thing now showing up on the front page, maybe check your profile settings for any blacklisted tags that may apply to the series. Or maybe you're using an extension that's playing up.

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 12:01PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Thanks- it's not my blacklist - after testing, it isn't there in firefox or chrome, but IS in I.E - isn't that weird? Gonna make a post about it in case anyone's got a clue lol.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

It's a good day when the harem gets along nicely ...

... then comes the predatory psycho lesbian. Meh.

Singeraigenerated
joined Feb 11, 2018

So, Kamuri and Kiyose became "bros"? That was kind of cute and funny. :)

Stalker girl seems just a little bit dangerous.

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 7:54PM

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

If Kamu and Sensei are gonna team up, they should take care of Sachi first, I respect her methods, but she might take Eiko's first time if they aren't careful.

joined Aug 11, 2014

I've been wondering for a while how the Kiyose - Eiko - Kamuri triangle was going to shake out, when Kiyose and Kamuri haven't really interacted with each other so far. Having them team up to go on snack dates and tease Eiko sure adds a whole new dimension to the relationship, huh? I think I'm starting to understand the true potential of the OT3.

Come to think of it... I don't know if it's just because it's the highest-impact running plotline the series has going, but the Kiyose x Eiko stuff is really starting to overshadow everything else for me. I usually find yuribait slice-of-life stories pretty tepid, but Eiko's over here starring in multiple spicy romantic comedies at once, and all the awkward ronin stuff ends up feeling like an amusing side show in comparison. Like, I'm into it, I wouldn't be nearly as eager to keep up with the releases if it wasn't for her, but I can't help but feel like the main draw of the series has strayed somewhat.

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 8:16PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Random grey square on p89 for some reason.

Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

Eiko, make certain you are never alone with that girl.

4) Nishimura is a crossdressing male (see ch24). He hasn't really gotten enough focus thus far to determine what his deal is (ie. sexuality/gender identity/etc.) but he seems to be an LGBT ally if Enami's comfortable getting drunk around him.

I just read through chapter 24 again, and there was nothing in there that made me conclude ANYTHING like this. At all.

last edited at Feb 13, 2019 11:04PM

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

"a girl who really really loves Eiko-chan" is an understatement lol

joined Mar 31, 2013

Eiko, make certain you are never alone with that girl.

I just read through chapter 24 again, and there was nothing in there that made me conclude ANYTHING like this. At all.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/slow_start_ch24#11 Look after the name

joined Mar 31, 2017

Random grey square on p89 for some reason.

How the hell did that get there? My apologies. Here's the corrected chapter: https://mega.nz/#!wUg0QSzD!yO4VunFBLTARPkdeGBNhWX8M7r-HLqzuTqpjngPnn0c

And just the corrected page:

To reply you must either login or sign up.