Forum › Tsurezure Biyori discussion

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

Are the Japanese so sexist

Yes

Singfuture
joined Nov 1, 2018

Was her mom not the only adult in her family at that time?

Page 24: "Minori's dad will probably be mad at me..."

They'd probably have moved into foster care if there were no adults left in the family, right? No way an elementary schooler would be left to look after two younger siblings on her own. Maybe the dad gets home from work too late to cook for the younger kids?

Senjougahara_sama
Rowow
joined Jun 12, 2017

Nanaya is wearing a shirt that says "fantastic girl" on it. Appropriate.

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

They'd probably have moved into foster care if there were no adults left in the family, right? No way an elementary schooler would be left to look after two younger siblings on her own. Maybe the dad gets home from work too late to cook for the younger kids?

Probably. If there is one thing those Japanese are known for, not including all the weird stuff, is that they have work lives that can regularly work them to death. The dad's hours could very well be insane, and he would have to get a different job if he had to be back in time to make his children supper.

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

This isn't Yuri remove the tag

arandommangareader
joined Nov 10, 2018

Ah right, that happens when you skipped page too fast, lol.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

CozyCreature12 posted:

What the fuck is wrong with you lol, go read hentai... They sex in the first chapter, oh wait, you don't like ecchi either, it's only yuri when they kiss and nothing more, nothing less for you.

last edited at Feb 11, 2019 10:38AM

joined Jul 26, 2016

MUH TAGWARS

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

CozyCreature12 posted:

What the fuck is wrong with you lol, go read hentai... They sex in the first chapter,

Well, to be fair, they don’t intertwine until Chapter 6.

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

Okay, we all know it's pointless to bring up the old yuri/subtext discussion all over again, so let's not go there.

But I was really wondering, does anyone know how many chapters are there left, and if it's finished or still running? I'd like to know if there are any significant romantic developments in the upcoming chapters, so I don't get my hopes up.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

cecile posted:

Okay, we all know it's pointless to bring up the old yuri/subtext discussion all over again, so let's not go there.

But I was really wondering, does anyone know how many chapters are there left, and if it's finished or still running? I'd like to know if there are any significant romantic developments in the upcoming chapters, so I don't get my hopes up.

It comes monthly, I'm pretty sure we're up to date with Japan, but if you want to feel safe, this is released in Yuri Hime magazine

last edited at Feb 11, 2019 1:22PM

2907c083-0dd4-444e-9553-7f727ca18b50
joined Jan 25, 2019

Nana is the women of my life

Lewd
joined Jun 23, 2015

Just found this and holy shit I'm in love. From the first chapter, I couldn't stop reading. The art is literally stunning (I stopped multiple times just to stare at all the techniques the artist used), interactions are very organic, and the characters are adorable. It felt very gay from the first chapter, but I can see why some people are crying subtext. Thing is, I've watched a lot of subtext shit in my day and this ain't it. Someone earlier said this is like a bad version of Yuru Yuri, and that amused me because I thought the exact opposite just a few chapters in.

This feels more mature and like real-life style of comedy versus pure humor. I lost interest in Yuru Yuri because nothing ever happened and it was just these girls uselessly pining after each other with no payoff. Tsuzure Biyori seems to be going somewhere. Every chapter creates new narrative threads. some of which have already payed off. The continuity is actually important here. All the characters are unique without needing dumb anime hair to prove it. This story is heartwarming and wholesome and is going straight to my favorites. Mafuyu is my favorite.

Large
joined Nov 25, 2018

CozyCreature12 posted:

What the fuck is wrong with you lol, go read hentai... They sex in the first chapter, oh wait, you don't like ecchi either, it's only yuri when they kiss and nothing more, nothing less for you.

Yeah, exactly, more like if there is some signal that show Yuri...this is only a common SUBTEXT that only goes in friendship and no more...This could make at the end, a very disappointed feel, besides, I read 6 to 7 chapters and there is no sign of nothing...I can judge, because I READ
And what sex are you talking about? I read everything and there is nothing

last edited at Feb 11, 2019 9:42PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I know that for me, the desire to use my friends as a body pillow is a sure sign of friendship. And all my friends use a picture of our sleeping friends for our lock screen.

It’s why we all have so many phones—one for each sleeping-friend lock screen.

last edited at Feb 11, 2019 10:23PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

Probably. If there is one thing those Japanese are known for, not including all the weird stuff, is that they have work lives that can regularly work them to death. The dad's hours could very well be insane, and he would have to get a different job if he had to be back in time to make his children supper.

I don't care how much the dad works It's both unfair and unwise to put an elementary schooler in charge of making dinner for the family, especially one with no experience cooking.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I don't care how much the dad works It's both unfair and unwise to put an elementary schooler in charge of making dinner for the family, especially one with no experience cooking.

"Unfair and unwise" would be a pretty apt summary of the traditional Japanese personnel management policy discussed in this context.

Al%c5%afskd
joined Jul 4, 2012

Just found this and holy shit I'm in love. From the first chapter, I couldn't stop reading. The art is literally stunning (I stopped multiple times just to stare at all the techniques the artist used), interactions are very organic, and the characters are adorable. It felt very gay from the first chapter, but I can see why some people are crying subtext. Thing is, I've watched a lot of subtext shit in my day and this ain't it. Someone earlier said this is like a bad version of Yuru Yuri, and that amused me because I thought the exact opposite just a few chapters in.

This feels more mature and like real-life style of comedy versus pure humor. I lost interest in Yuru Yuri because nothing ever happened and it was just these girls uselessly pining after each other with no payoff. Tsuzure Biyori seems to be going somewhere. Every chapter creates new narrative threads. some of which have already payed off. The continuity is actually important here. All the characters are unique without needing dumb anime hair to prove it. This story is heartwarming and wholesome and is going straight to my favorites. Mafuyu is my favorite.

^^^^^
Exactly this. I agree so much.
I’ve read the chapter where they held hands and took pictures of each others and I just started crying — I know, sounds lame, but the way it’s depicted and their internal monologue, how they care for each others. It’s wonderful.
The next hugging chapter got to me too, this is exactly what I needed. Emotional and genuine friendship with yuri vibes.

All of the people who said it’s a snoozefest really can’t appreciate quality. It’s better to have proper build up and then whatever yuri may come next, but to be fair, I’m also hoping for the kisses and such, because without kisses it feels.. unfinished and vexing. Hope you all know what i mean...

joined Apr 19, 2017

CozyCreature12 posted:

Subtext and yuri are two different things. Hes not asking for explicit hentai, thats the point of the NSFW tag. This series though, albeit good, has no true relationships, other than hinted ones, making it subtext. I understand there is a tinge of ignorance within you over yuri and subtext (which isnt bad) but that really doesnt warrant you being a dick to other users

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

gaylolkillme posted:

CozyCreature12 posted:

Subtext and yuri are two different things. Hes not asking for explicit hentai, thats the point of the NSFW tag. This series though, albeit good, has no true relationships, other than hinted ones, making it subtext. I understand there is a tinge of ignorance within you over yuri and subtext (which isnt bad) but that really doesnt warrant you being a dick to other users

I can't explain without derailing the thread but that user has a very "strict" (to not say something worse) definition of what and how yuri should be made, so after the third demanding comment I saw from that person I reacted like that, the comment was made for that person so I understand you'll be ignorant about the whole picture, but yeah, next time I'll ignore him/her.
If you and that person like to make it a rule to mark every series as subtext until they clearly declare their love, even if the series is being published in a yuri magazine, I disagree... If you think Yuru yuri should be marked as subtext, I disagree... Because I don't believe that love start the moment they have their first kiss or start dating or that the ending defines the rest of the story, of course I think how it ends it's important, I just think it's absurd to be so negative giving the circumstances.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Serenata’s right about that particular user—anything outside of a very narrow strike zone seems to be an outrageous violation of something or other for that person.

I must say that the more time goes on the less I understand what the stakes actually are for the yuri/subtext border police. As with any genre or sub-genre definition, there are going to be ambiguous examples—that’s absolutely inevitable. Parsing out the nuances of such boundary cases can actually be fun, if the goal is to understand the texts and how they work more fully.

But the tagging police aren’t having fun. They seem to be locked in a fight to the death with the most serious consequences in the world riding on the outcome, only I have yet to figure out what those alleged consequences are supposed to be.

(As I implied before, a girl’s explicit desire to use her bestest special sleeping-star-of-her-smartphone-lockscreen friend for a huggy pillow is yuri enough for me.)

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Blastaar posted:

But the tagging police aren’t having fun. They seem to be locked in a fight to the death with the most serious consequences in the world riding on the outcome, only I have yet to figure out what those alleged consequences are supposed to be.

To me yuri is simply story where relationship or a one sided crush is confirmed with words. Subtext is when it's implied, but never outright confirmed. The thing is, just because it's subtext, it doesn't mean it isn't yuri. To me subtext is still text, just done subtly. The intent of creators is irrelevant, because whatever they consider it as something serious or not, they still put it in the story with intention of implying it. Only way to deny it "officially" is by just making girl/s date/have a crush on a guy, but then it's no longer implied yuri. In fact some "subtext" yuri stories can be very blatant about it and without ever really confirming anything, leave no room for interpretation. Not many share my approach though...

Most people see subtext as fake yuri and nothing more. It's studio's/publisher's way to jack us around, to give us hope, to only then never confirm anything. Or even worse. Go full het. Unless they shout out their love to each other and/or fuck, it's better to not get too invested, to not get high hopes. And sure, it isn't like stuff like that didn't happen, so I understand why some people got burn by it. That doesn't mean they should throw every series under the bus, until it has 100%, complete, undeniable, confirmation of lesbian feelings. So many subtle yuri manga/anime got completely ignored and/or even trashed, just because they failed to give that confirmation, despite otherwise being very and blatantly gay. Recent Tonari no Kyuuketsuki-san being perfect example of series that certain people still consider just your typical CGDCS slice of life with no true yuri whatsoever. It is all just friendship and jokes.

On the one hand I understand people's need for confirmation, since there's just not enough stories with openly gay characters and/or confirmed gay relationships. I too wish more stories would confirm them. On the other hand, it's funny that so many things from those "subtext" stories aren't consider proof, when had they appeared in one of het romances, people wouldn't even question them for a second. So I really think some people should slow down a bit with this whole subtext crusade and don't be so rigid about it. It's getting better after all.

So to answer your question. Everything. If it has yuri tag, then it's true yuri about true lesbians that do lesbian things. If it's subtext, it's fake yuri, will never go anywhere and it should be burn with fire. Someone who wants to read "true" yuri will avoid subtext tag with passion. So if they read something "wrongly" tagged as yuri, while it turns out to be "just" subtext, they'll get mad because they just wasted however long it took to read it, only to get sourly disappointed with story turning out to not being yuri.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 12:04PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@ Nevri
I definitely get (and have always understood) the animus against bait-and-switch stories, although with serial publications it’s hard to always identify those before they’re over. The tagging problem also seems to be especially acute for stories (like this one) which are not primarily goal-oriented single-couple romances. And I too have been somewhat disappointed when stories ultimately lacked the courage of what once appeared to be their yuri-esque convictions.

But some definitions of “true yuri” get so restrictive that they seem to be counterproductive if the goal is to find good stories about girls/women who love same (and of course “definitely yuri” most certainly does not necessarily mean “good story.”)

As I said, since applying definitions of genres and sub-genres to specific examples will always be inherently ambiguous and to some extent subjective, I’m not sure there’s any way the strictest constructionists will ever be completely satisfied.

In any case, I’m glad I’m reading this one, however it’s tagged.

last edited at Feb 14, 2019 1:58PM

joined Jul 23, 2017

I was reading chapter 14 without no clue of what manga this is but when i saw the credits I was surprised

To reply you must either login or sign up.