Forum › She's an Android discussion

joined Oct 25, 2016

I wonder if I’m a android or just a goofball like a million times a day

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

If humanity's pride is at stake, then she should make love to the android, to prove how much better humans are at doing it.

Images
joined Dec 25, 2018

The title reminded me of tonari no robot

last edited at Feb 3, 2019 1:34AM

ColdGoldLazarus
Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

This will be interesting

joined Oct 26, 2016

But why did she not have a belly button? Engineers forgot to give her one lol?

Hinataskype
joined May 26, 2011

more robots more robots more robot yuri specifically but I'll take this casual subtext

Pout2
joined Mar 7, 2017

hang on, she's drawn with a belly button on the last page.

Yandere%20=%20423182%20-%20copy
joined Nov 29, 2013

So now we have human vs. sex toy?

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

more robots more robots more robot yuri specifically but I'll take this casual subtext

All this

Yandere%20eve
joined Mar 27, 2018

I... I didn't know what to expect and I came in here with no expectations, I have already been blown away. Need moar.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Damn

[misha%20(hoongju)]%2001
joined Jul 19, 2015

I want a goofball android at my university!

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I feel like there's a reference I'm missing. Or maybe a pun that doesn't translate well.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Is that an Arale reference? Boy I feel old

The titular character Arale also was told at the school she was going to that she can't be a human. After some brain in the gutter scientist creators over imagination and wacky Toriyama humor, the punchline of the chapter was you guessed it. No belly button.

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

shhh, just assume its obviously fake

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

aranicar posted:

Idk if it is common, but in Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy the plot point was that youkai are not born like humans, so they don't have a belly button, so that is a easy way to tell whatever someone is human or not. Sure, scientist could just give her belly button to make her as human as possible, but I think it is referring that, since as a robot, she didn't have to be born from mother.

joined Jul 26, 2016

shhh, just assume its obviously fake

Could be just the contours between the abdominal muscles I s'pose? Bit of a weird external detail to skimp on if you're already going to the trouble of making your android (presumably) capable of digesting food - probably with some sort of "bioreactor" powerplant - tho.

Also this AI definitely needs some work on its human interaction. Then again that's probably what it's in the school for to begin with.

Nodoyue_avatar1
joined Aug 7, 2017

This shares a title with another story here.

Homumug
joined Jan 13, 2015

By the way, androids are still humans. If it thinks like a human, acts like a human, looks like a human and considers itself to be a human, it is one. The only difference is that their ghost is piloting a robot made out of metal while we pilot a robot made out of meat.

Espurr%20sparkle
joined May 30, 2013

Goofball android cute. I don't care if there's no yuri.

joined Jul 26, 2016

By the way, androids are still humans. If it thinks like a human, acts like a human, looks like a human and considers itself to be a human, it is one. The only difference is that their ghost is piloting a robot made out of metal while we pilot a robot made out of meat.

That's some pretty bold claims to categorically make about questions heavily dependent on a number of highly complex and entirely unstated premises, not the least the technological assumptions behind the AI.

And how do you define or measure "thinking like a human" in the first place?

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

I am getting tired of these 2-page "chapters" already. More! More is better!
That's an adorable android! And yes it is mysterious why the designers didn't include a belly button, oh well, it's 'science' eh?
Hopefully cute android will start to study such human behaviours as holding hands and we'll get an 'X' rating!

Saho1b
joined Oct 9, 2017

Grail posted:

Is that an Arale reference? Boy I feel old

The titular character Arale also was told at the school she was going to that she can't be a human. After some brain in the gutter scientist creators over imagination and wacky Toriyama humor, the punchline of the chapter was you guessed it. No belly button.

This was the first thing I was reminded of.

Dr. Slump was a lot of goofy fun.

joined Oct 26, 2016

aranicar posted:

Idk if it is common, but in Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy the plot point was that youkai are not born like humans, so they don't have a belly button, so that is a easy way to tell whatever someone is human or not. Sure, scientist could just give her belly button to make her as human as possible, but I think it is referring that, since as a robot, she didn't have to be born from mother.

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't work as well when the non-human character is built so not having a belly button feels like a convenient plot point rather than due to the whole not being born fact.

I'm thinking a bit too hard on this small little point though lol.

last edited at Feb 3, 2019 8:55PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

aranicar posted:

Yeah I get that, but it doesn't work as well when the non-human character is built so not having a belly button feels like a convenient plot point rather than due to the whole not being born fact.

'Course it would not be implausible for the in-universe designers to have sculpted her exterior specifically with this trope in mind. It has a degree of traction in the Japanese popular culture after all and might be helpful for avoiding the "uncanny valley" - or conversely help avoid the kinds of anxieties a too convincing "replicant" might inspire.

To reply you must either login or sign up.