Forum › Posts by Suosiki

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Allow me to amend what I said before: having looked through a certain moderator's post history, I actually witnessed some cases of definitely unfair and unwarned ban. Following the overall same trend Western societies seem to be following, it appears the thought police is becoming harsher here too, grounded in what is starting to resemble an ideology. I should have abstained from taking a look at the recent Transgender tag discussion.
When, for all uneducated they might be, politely-worded opinions that differ from your views are ipso facto considered as unorthodox and should therefore be excluded on sight is a sign that intolerance and narrow-mindedness are not so faraway anymore.

Seeing (parts of) this community slowly becoming, over the years, more and more extreme is saddening, especially when, a few years ago, one could read such wise words; which, I believe, still are to this day, one of the most thoughtful and insightful comment this forum has ever beared. Though I have an idea and understand why moderation is siding with a certain view and holding a certain stance - there may be some underlying personal reasons - by no means does it justify arbitrarily banning.

Another reason to stick to my original advice: consensual opinions, as narrow as possible debates and cheering, light-minded comments!

I think what frigidbones (sorely missed, btw) said is germane here:

cis norms become seen as natural to yuri and certainly not political, while outside perspective can be freely treated as those of a political agenda or alien culture.

And the banned member in question wasn't expressing politely-worded opinions. They stormed into a thread about transgender to demand that everyone follow their own, trans-exclusive, definition of lesbian. There's no favoritism in what happened, just someone being a raging asshole and seeing what they can get away with in the field of assholery.

As for those "wise words", they largely consisted of Phallocentrism 101 sandwiched between: putting cis women and cis women's knobbly bits on an unasked-for pedestal; calling trans women fake if they fail to conform to a stereotype of femininity; and drawing a fantasy dichotomy of "transwomen and real women", which makes as much sense as saying "intersexwomen and real women". Oh, and yelling at younger trans people with the temerity to demand -- the horror! -- acceptance.

The world doesn't always bend to accomodate one person's pet theory of what being trans or lesbian means. And as a somewhat-old Gen Xer, I'm glad that views like Cryssoberyl's are becoming less prominent. When held up as the one way to be, they do real harm.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

"self insert"?
At first I'm like why don't they just use the "masturbation" tag?

I see what you did there.

And more manga should use first person pov! It makes a nice change of pace.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Don't you normally pay hotels before you stay, not after?

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I thought this was Tamamusi at first. Their art style is so similar.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

The notes at the end remind me of Yuyushiki.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

.....given the wrist ties, how does Chapter 2 not have the BDSM tag? besides which, nekomimi maid in bondage.

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I used to follow a yuri scans community on Livejournal. After I closed my LJ account I went looking for new places to find yuri, and eventually settled in here after reading a few series.

First thing I read... hmm, I forget. I think it started with Octave, The Miko's Words, and Girlfriends though.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Oh please, do hold back if your nails are that long.

She can always use the tongue...
or a tail if she has one, but that's a different level.

Or magic

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Now I want Reptilian Crush to be a thing.

Suosiki
Octave discussion 23 Apr 06:19
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Nah, you're probably right. I'm much more bothered by the idea of emotional manipulation than by cheating, so how Setsuko acted set me off. I saw her ultimatum as a red flag and warning of future abuse, instead of the reaction of a hurt person which is probably what the mangaka intended.

And Yukino does get more assertive towards the end and stops feeling like she's being led around by Setsuko. I don't think Setsuko was wrong to hit on Yukino or have sex with her, I just found the dynamic between them totally imbalanced for most of the story. Which makes it more interesting to read about but also frustrating.

Suosiki
Octave discussion 22 Apr 14:24
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

TBQH, Setsuko comes off as the worse person here. She seduces and manipulates an insecure younger woman, telling her that if she hesitates to move in with her she must not be serious. WTF? Living together is a big, life changing decision, not something to be made on the spot. If I were Yukino I'd dump Setsuko right there. I still love this manga but I feel bad for Yukino every time, she deserves better.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

A Straight Girl Wanders Into A Lesbian Universe

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Rape should be banned from here... Is there anyone who truly enjoys reading a rapey doujin? (I would be scared to meet them).

Eh, people have rape fantasies sometimes. I don't but I kind of enjoyed the hurt/comfort element in this.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

My boyfriend's back and it's gonna be yuri, hey-la, hey-la

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Overrated: Mochi au Lait (sorry)

Underrated: Yotsuhara Furiko, Fujieda Miyabi

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

This is pretty much what shroom trips are like.

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I feel like there's a reference I'm missing. Or maybe a pun that doesn't translate well.

Suosiki
Non-binary discussion 02 Feb 03:38
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

...You do realize that agender and asexual are separate things?

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

that sure turned into horror quickly

And then Torako broke it.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I think that's a big part of the reason why Yuuko got angry at Makoto. Makoto has their struggle, and their coming out is (literally) on the public stage, but where does that leave someone who isn't obviously genderqueer? Being non-binary when it doesn't entail looking like a boy in a skirt can leave you feeling invisible.

Add to that the weight of gendered expectations for girls. It's bad enough if you don't conform to those expectations, but if you don't even identify with the category of "girl" it's much worse. Like putting on a double act. Yuuko doesn't want to be seen as a straight girl who's dating a boy, or even a bi girl, but that's how society sees her relationship to Makoto.

Social dysphoria is difficult to define. I'm DMAB, but more agender; I bristle at being called gendered names, or being sorted into a group of my assigned sex at birth. I relate a lot to Yuuko. You're right, I don't face the level of overt discrimination that a binary trans person would, but that doesn't mean there aren't social difficulties involved in it. For instance, there isn't really a name for my sexual orientation; I like girls (cis or trans) and DFAB non-binary people, but I'm not bi or pan. But "straight" doesn't work, because I'm not a guy. When I do act more gender nonconforming, I'm usually taken for a gay femboy, but I feel like a complete outsider in gay culture.

When I don't have to present as a guy or binary girl, I'm much more relaxed and open about myself. IME, asexual people are really good about understanding gender nuances, and I'm gray-ace so I can fit into that culture.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

I don't know if it's the author's intention, but I get a strong sense that Miki has autism, and maybe ADHD. She lacks focus, has trouble with social cues and modeling other's minds, and fishes for compliments in an awkward way. I'm not excusing her behavior, but having known people like Miki I feel like her issues go deeper than "she's in love with Makoto and is kinda dense".

While I'm being devil's advocate, I guess I'll add that the counselor's advice wasn't all wrong. A long speech like that, full of unfamiliar terms, probably did need some work to be digestible for an audience of cis schoolkids. What he should've done was help Makoto refine their speech so they /could/ get their message across, instead of going with some generic statement about transgender.

Suosiki
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Maybe someone has covered this already. If it is a video store, then why is there a bunch of music genres on the sign?

CDs are still fairly popular in Japan. I'm guessing the store carries both?

Suosiki
High Fight! discussion 21 Dec 05:17
Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/high_fight#14

Girl has Venetian blinds down there.

Afterhours37675l
joined Aug 18, 2016

Some punchlines are telegraphed, that was FedExed. I still <3 this manga.