Forum › Caged Lovers discussion

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

It seems based on the coversation Chizuru had with her Aunt, that the whole trafficking thing is a secret, so how many people do they have to swear into silence? It seems that the girls can talk about the entire thing openly. So any custodial staff, or cooks and the like probably know about it as well. So they're probably looking at several hundred people depending on the size of the school that need to be kept quiet.

On top of that, there don't seem to be any kind of measures to actually keep students at the school. So in reality, couldn't they all just get up and walk out?

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

im interested to see where this goes.. also, would like to see chizuru and the blue haired girl meet :/ maybe in chapter 3?

joined Apr 12, 2015

This is really disturbing.

joined Oct 27, 2018

And now I hate the protagonist

Untitled
joined Dec 16, 2014

I was reading the raws and oh boy, this series is mind boggling.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

Out of curiosity, does the main character try to take a stance against the school, or does she just stoically/meekly accept it all?

joined Jul 26, 2016

I don't think I'm going to be into this, just because it takes something pretty compelling for me to sit still for being depressed. This isn't quite good enough to make up for being outside of my strike zone.

But I do find some of the objections weird. As some have pointed out, it's really not particularly unrealistic--sure, maybe a bit if set in the present minute of Japan, but the time period is vague--there are cars, but I haven't seen any cell phones. Very slightly before the present moment, this is pretty normal except for the lack of euphemisms, and not just in Japan. As politics drifts rightward in various places (half-random example: Hungary) I wouldn't be surprised to see this kind of thing make a comeback. Heck, Saudi Arabia is worse than this now.

That's... not how it works, or for that matter ever really did anywhere. You'd have to go to something like the kisaeng courtesans of premodern Korea who were de jure and de facto governement-owned slaves to find anything even remotely comparable - with the added caveat that when someone did actually purchase them they promptly stopped being slaves too (not that Korean women had all that many rights anyway under the rigidly Neo-Confucian Joseon dynasty mind). By way of comparison even the women of the old Japanese red-light districts were legally indentitured servants and could potentially buy themselves free or work off their contracts.

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

This system just invites a horrible school massacre to happen. One day a girl will get a knife and just kill a bunch of teachers.

Untitled%20design
joined Jul 13, 2016

This system just invites a horrible school massacre to happen. One day a girl will get a knife and just kill a bunch of teachers.

And afterwards she can make out with her girlfriend in their innards :^)

Fennec
joined May 28, 2012

I would hope for that too, but if the series really got axed for real then there's little to no reasons to read this anymore.

05e9004775cc49f0c9420a4bdcb7853a
joined Aug 21, 2013

I like this series a lot, can't wait for the next chapter.

1916028_1073061359394379_8287547252845901979_n
joined May 1, 2017

We strongly advise people who don't enjoy this kind of manga to not read it at all. Honestly I was upset too while working on it but this is the kind of story this is. We won't drop the title unless we don't have time for it anymore so hopefully some readers will keep reading it

I really appreciate your effort, i will continue reading it just for that.

joined Jul 26, 2016

It seems based on the coversation Chizuru had with her Aunt, that the whole trafficking thing is a secret, so how many people do they have to swear into silence? It seems that the girls can talk about the entire thing openly. So any custodial staff, or cooks and the like probably know about it as well. So they're probably looking at several hundred people depending on the size of the school that need to be kept quiet.

On top of that, there don't seem to be any kind of measures to actually keep students at the school. So in reality, couldn't they all just get up and walk out?

It hardly computes that the whole thing would be hush-hush; people sort of need to know about it if they are to throw their unwanted female offspring down that drain, else the whole thing will get public about the second a family that isn't trying to get rid of their girl contacts her - and good luck blocking them from doing that without raising a big stink in rather short order.

Which adds up to this whole operation basically having to be legal - and presumably hardly unique - which implies a dystopian social setting indeed...

Also the whole class B thing makes zero sense. If they're going to dump these girls into factual sex slavery in squalid brothels why are they bothering to keep them around anymore in the first place, what with the not inconsiderable running costs of feeding, housing and clothing them? And for that matter since the whole premise of the school essentially amounts to human trafficking being legal why are their families not doing the classic by cutting out the middleman and just selling the girls directly to the flesh trade, as poor people have done the world over since year Stick and Stone?
Not like the kinds of people who frequent the kinds of establishements they're implied to be destined for give a shit about conversational skills and education anyway.

I'm getting the distinct impression far too little thought went into the premises of the story, and it isn't abstracted and stylized enough to be meant as an allegory detached from an at last vaguely realistic societal context (unlike, say, Utena to give a particularly surreal example).

last edited at Jan 12, 2019 8:19PM

joined May 20, 2013

After looking at the raws, I think I'll keep reading this. Not happy at all, but the backstories seem interesting. With a decent amount of distance kept, of course, to avoid getting depressed, though they may be realistically terrible situations worth reading and being brought to people's attention. I already appreciated that the main character's reasons for attending the school unconditionally had been revealed so soon. How the school in the story can operate may also get fleshed out, eventually. Or it could just turn out to be a bad story, making it hard or impossible to take seriously in it even what may be the criticism of the real world.

last edited at Jan 12, 2019 8:45PM

Soo%20nice
joined May 10, 2013

I love It!

Images-3
joined Jan 9, 2015

Oh god the TL note pic at the end of the chapter --- it's 5am and i actually got scared

I wonder what their recruitment poster looks like

Come, join or prestigious and exclusive academy, wherein we will train you be the very best [REDACTED] you can possibly be!
Do not worry, even if you are unable to become [REDACTED] you can still manage to be [REDACTED]
So, seize the day! The future is yours!*

*Warning:Your future might not actually be yours.

LOL this brightened my morning, especially "*Warning: Your future might not actually be yours." really made me laugh :'D

Icon
joined Mar 14, 2015

Anyone else getting Shitsurakuen vibes from this?
I think the setting is just as unusual... not unbelievable but flawed and easy to crumble under reality's weight.
I understand why people are disliking it but I'm also very fond of when the media is used to explore more than a "realistic" story. I acknowledge that it upholds to its depressing tag but I would like to see where it's going. So I'm willing to suspend my disbelief and "enjoy" the ride as if it was a fantasy setting -v-

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

It's infuriating when stupid assholes blame the victim.

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

Okay, can I ship Mio with Chizuru? :x

57e011396781cdc3308f5aefac880571
joined Feb 19, 2016

We strongly advise people who don't enjoy this kind of manga to not read it at all. Honestly I was upset too while working on it but this is the kind of story this is. We won't drop the title unless we don't have time for it anymore so hopefully some readers will keep reading it

Thanks a whole bunch for working on this title stranger. I'm one of those who tried to warn others about the manga earlier, but don't think that I don't appreciate your work TL'ing this manga. I'm also a "fan" of the series (currently waiting for the 3rd tank) for reasons I can't really explain myself, other than liking the MC (this chapter shows why).

To newcomers, again I'd like to reiterate if you can't stomach heavy content like this, stay away for your own sanity. Even if you dropped it, try not to announce the fact because it'll only clutter the comment section with unneeded fluff.

Okay, can I ship Mio with Chizuru? :x

Should I spoil it for you with an answer?

Just kidding finding it out for yourself is waay better amirite?

will there any het scene in this story ?

As of Vol 2, no het scenes at all. Just mentions of being sold, like Chapter 1 & 2

last edited at Jan 13, 2019 9:02AM

joined Jan 31, 2018

How do i erase my memory

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch 2, pg 26, "you're new family" -> "your new family"

The%20witch's%20house
joined Apr 9, 2015

aw :c

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Read through the first chapter and decided to read comments to see if I should continue the read. I think I'm going to drop it for now, but I might pick it back up if I'm suuuper bored.

A%20%20gallery_compress77
joined Jan 11, 2019

what thwx slck

To reply you must either login or sign up.