Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

That chapter really put a new spin on Chapters 10 & 11. Chidori's response to Nanoha's cutely awkward confession isn't just her being shy and half-tsundere (although she is)--she's dealing with the pain of past emotional trauma and bravely taking the plunge anyway.

It also explains why Chidori, although looking like the quiet bookworm type, actually seems to be a bit more knowledgable about (or maybe just aware of) romance/sexual stuff than Nanoha.

So the possibilities for "Igarashi" seem to be:

• Chidori's past love trying to get back together.
  • Another, unknown girl at the school with a crush on Chidori (perhaps having discovered that Chidori likes girls via the past love).
  • An unknown boy from another school.

The fact that the note is addressed to "Chidori" rather than "Fujimiya-san" strongly suggests that it's #1.

Chidori talking about "her love" not being the same as "their love" is something that makes the possibility of Igarashi being the same one that broke her heart kinda hard to believe. In the note, it clearly states that this Igarashi doesn't just want to be friends with her, so if this was the past love, Chidori wouldn't be saying that.

I think it’s #2 or with a low possibility, #3. I feel like if it was her past lover, it would be much more painful. ^ That lovely person also makes a good point. I doubt a past lover would leave a note saying “These aren’t just as a friend.” It seems like Igarashi’s chocolates just resurfaced the feelings of Chidori’s past love. Kind of like, “If I accept this person’s feelings, I’ll end up hurt again.” When Chidori says, “my love isn’t like their love,” I thought of it as an indicator that her past love was a girl. And maybe, Chidori’s love was unrequited/unknown to the other. That could be why she was always hurt and crying.

In addition, just to throw it out there, we’re hopefully aware that manga shoves gender stereotypes down your throat. Of course these stereotypes in Yuri aren’t as strongly reinforced as they are in Het, but it’s still there. With that in mind, I can’t imagine a boy sneaking a frilly/“girly” bag into an all girl’s school.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 1:52AM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

I think the "my love isn't like their love" line just refers to the friends talking earlier about how much Nanoha loves Chidori lately, on 06. So it's Chidori's inner monologue about how she actually is into girls romantically vs Nanoha just having a more friendly love for Chidori. You know, in Chidori's mind anyway. But hey, we'll see.

The blushing quota was not met in this chapter. I'll overlook it this time.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

FLASHBACK ANGST

THE KIND YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY BOUT TOO MUCH BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT'S ALREADY RESOLVED

ALL THE PAIN WITHOUT NONE OF THE SUSPENSE

M Y F U C K I N G J A M

Give me that delicious past angst with present cute times yesssssssss

This is totally a girl who's confessed to chidori tho, that bag of chocolates which has the NOT FRIEND label on is super girly

The only thing is, I reckon, down the line, this means this girl can pop up at any time in the present if the mangaka wants any DRAMA

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 2:27AM

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I think the "my love isn't like their love" line just refers to the friends talking earlier about how much Nanoha loves Chidori lately, on 06. So it's Chidori's inner monologue about how she actually is into girls romantically vs Nanoha just having a more friendly love for Chidori. You know, in Chidori's mind anyway. But hey, we'll see.

The phrasing used in the original is 私の「好き」とみんなの「好き」は違うんだから. Throughout the manga, when Chidori uses "minna" she's usually referring to her friends, so I think your interpretation is likely correct.

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

I think that she doesn't know who Igarashi is (also that's a surname, if she knew he/her they would have used the first name). Also I think that the chocolate made her realize that she was disappointed because she wished they were from Nanoha.

joined Jan 4, 2014

This is totally a girl who's confessed to chidori tho, that bag of chocolates which has the NOT FRIEND label on is super girly

The only thing is, I reckon, down the line, this means this girl can pop up at any time in the present if the mangaka wants any DRAMA

It's not just the design. Following Japanese conventions, Valentine's Day is the day when girls hand out chocolates, not guys, thereby eliminating the past / wannabe boyfriend theory...

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

My advice to Chidori is, GO FOR IT!

Edit: I didn't notice that the chocolates weren't from Nanoho. My advice doesn't make sense.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 4:05AM

other day i walked in on my lesbo sister in law’s gf banging some guy
i didnt say shit

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

i didnt say shit

Um, sorry to hear that your sister in law's girlfriend is a cheating slut, I guess. Just not sure this is the right forum to share that kind of stuff on, though.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

i didnt say shit

But did you watch?

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

TrAgEdY FlAsHbAcK

Healing-punchiiiii
joined Jan 21, 2016

FLASHBACK ANGST

THE KIND YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY BOUT TOO MUCH BECAUSE YOU KNOW IT'S ALREADY RESOLVED

ALL THE PAIN WITHOUT NONE OF THE SUSPENSE

M Y F U C K I N G J A M

this works so well with your (current) avatar

Yes and yes
V I C T O R Y

2017-06-09-10-36-16-
joined Mar 29, 2017

i didnt say shit

But did you watch?

I need the this shit gon be good gif here right now.

i didnt say shit

But did you watch?

No I left.

It wasn't very appealing.

joined Nov 14, 2013

Im loving this Akko and Mariko spin-off

last edited at Oct 16, 2018 2:12AM

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

ch22, pg 10 has a minor error, it was fixed https://yuri-project.net/hana-ni-arashi-ch22/

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

I think Yoshida-senpai was the girl who gave Chidori the chocolates and that she's similar to the poly girl from AnoKiss who gave flowers to everyone and thats why she says that her love isn't the same as her love.

Dd20197dc375013dead600935e307fe5_crop
joined Apr 12, 2017

Oh, it's cute that those two who also confessed on that same day on the last page.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Towards the end of the chapter I was like "eh, reruns...?" cute twist.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

And I love the simple effect of page 16.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I think Yoshida-senpai was the girl who gave Chidori the chocolates and that she's similar to the poly girl from AnoKiss who gave flowers to everyone and thats why she says that her love isn't the same as her love.

Yoshida is the girl who's dating Abe. They're mentioned here, they just happened to start dating the same day Chidori and Nanoha did. Igarashi is the one who gave the chocolates to Chidori. She has no relation to Yoshida (as far as we know).

All we know at this point is that Igarashi and Chidori have some sort of history—Chidori was in love with her but felt betrayed and avoided her, and that's why she cut her hair. She didn't confront her until Igarashi gave her the Valentines chocolate, and then she went and returned the chocolate to her.

last edited at Nov 1, 2018 1:31PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

"I love you!"
"Me too!"

Is there some quirk of Japanese that makes that sound less weird in Japanese or something? Cause it seems to be an extremely common translation but it's also a really strange thing to say.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

"I love you!"
"Me too!"

Is there some quirk of Japanese that makes that sound less weird in Japanese or something? Cause it seems to be an extremely common translation but it's also a really strange thing to say.

好き!
私も!

I guess it might be a little too literal, maybe "I love you too" would be better. But the "me too" answer isn't uncommon in English. I've heard people speak like that, and I'm sure I've said that myself, though it can definitely seem awkward when you think about it.

Edit: though now that I think about it, Chidori's awkwardness in answering might make "me too" a more accurate translation in this case.... I'll just give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what I was going for when I wrote this down.

last edited at Nov 1, 2018 2:25PM

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

schuyguy posted:

好き!
私も!

I guess it might be a little too literal, maybe "I love you too" would be better. But the "me too" answer isn't uncommon in English. I've heard people speak like that, and I'm sure I've said that myself, though it can definitely seem awkward when you think about it.

Edit: though now that I think about it, Chidori's awkwardness in answering might make "me too" a more accurate translation in this case.... I'll just give myself the benefit of the doubt and assume that's what I was going for when I wrote this down.

It happens in English but usually only from fairly socially awkward people or when someone is responding to someone saying "I love you" when they're not paying attention or when it totally catches them off-guard. You do have a good point about it not necessarily being out of place in this specific scene but I feel it's far too common in scanlations for it to simply be a matter of people actually frequently saying it in most cases.

I'm by no means an expert in Japanese but a quick Google translate gives "Like!" or "I like!" as the most viable translations for the first one (with "Love!" or "I like it!" being the other valid ones) which would suggest to me it's not quite as straightforward as a a literal translation. An addon I have for Firefox suggests that while "me too!" might be valid as a literal translation it actually misses nuances that may be there in Japanese. It actually seems to be a phrase used in a sort of self-inclusive reflection of whatever it's being used in response to. So while "me too!" would be the literal translation I think that "I love you too" would actually be a more natural translation and would likely be closer to what the author intended.

Thanks for posting the Japanese dialogue. That definitely helped me see where it comes from.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I have taken on a fatal overdose of cuteness. It was nice chatting with you all . . .

To reply you must either login or sign up.