Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Oh, I actually just watched that. It's a good scene, it makes a nice contrast with him murdering two guys in cold blood shortly after.

I'm just saying that I've seen enough people bitching about how "me too" is actually incorrect (as opposed to just awkward or insincere) that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that in some variety of English I've never encountered, if you answered "I love you" with "me too" people would be genuinely confused as to what you meant.

Edit: sorry, I can genuinely discuss grammar and what "correctness" means in language all day.

No apologies needed—I’m just getting started myself.

Anybody who has a problem with “I love you” > “Me too” is pedantically overcorrecting an incredibly common idiom.

Like the very common avoidance of objective “me” when it is correct.

“Sally went to the mall with Mary and I.” = No.

All you have to do is take out “Mary” to hear how wrong that is: “Sally went to the mall with I.”

Unless you’re a Rastafarian, in which case it would be, “Sally went to Babylon mall in the shitty with I and I” anyway.

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Maybe it's because I'm everything that is awkward personified, but yeah, there's no problem responding with "me too" to "I love you."
I mean, I guess it could be a problem depending on the atmosphere or if the person you're saying it to takes it as being too casual, but typically, it's fine. For them it was perfect.

Hell, it's possible the "me too" reply is a regional thing. I've never given it any thought before.

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

Blastaar posted:

From experience, I have never known or heard of a native speaker who would consider “Me too” to be ungrammatical or as saying, “I love me too.”

In fact, it’s an expected telephone response when the speaker is in a situation where being overheard saying “I love you too” would be embarrassing or inappropriate. So much so that in certain circumstances it would be obvious that the speaker was avoiding saying “I love you too” and might be teased for it.

Maybe it's a regional thing but I don't know anyone who wouldn't consider it an awkward thing to say and I'm American. This includes people I know who have actually said it as well. All of them fit into the categories I listed of being socially awkward or being caught off-guard. It's a similar situation to another odd response that happens frequently in manga and webcomics where someone's at a restaurant or a movie theater and the employee they're interacting with says "enjoy your meal/the movie!" and the person replies with "you too!"

schuyguy Uploader
Imura%20ei%20music%20concert%20face
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Maybe it's a regional thing but I don't know anyone who wouldn't consider it an awkward thing to say and I'm American. This includes people I know who have actually said it as well. All of them fit into the categories I listed of being socially awkward or being caught off-guard. It's a similar situation to another odd response that happens frequently in manga and webcomics where someone's at a restaurant or a movie theater and the employee they're interacting with says "enjoy your meal/the movie!" and the person replies with "you too!"

Well, there you go. It's probably different in different English varieties then (and I don't just mean American English vs British English, but maybe specific smaller regional variations, or social class or just personal idiosyncrasies).

The "enjoy your meal" "you too!" thing always sounds like a silly mistake to me as well, something that I laugh at if I hear someone else say it, or feel stupid if I'm distracted and say that myself. After all, they're serving you a meal, it's not like they're about to eat. I don't know if I've ever seen this misused in a manga translation, it's just the sort of thing really awkward people do and people on the internet joke about.

But "I love you" "me too" sounds fine to me.

last edited at Nov 5, 2018 10:31AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Partly it has to do with the highly ritualized nature of this specific exchange: when someone says, “I love you,” anything other than some version of “I love you too” is going to be awkward to some extent. What, “I’m glad”? “That’s nice”? “Oh, aren’t you sweet?” (If you really want to get into regional idioms, try responding, “Why bless your heart!”)

But again, it’s primarily an idiomatic issue rather than a grammatical one. As one hypothetical parallel example, if someone were to say something like, “I’m so glad I met you,” the response, “Me too” would clearly be intended to say, “I too am glad that I met you” rather than “I too am glad that you met me.”

In both cases, the “me too” indicates reciprocity, whatever the strictest parsing of grammar and logic would say.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

(If you really want to get into regional idioms, try responding, “Why bless your heart!”)

All the more fun since, in the parts of the South I've been to, "bless your heart" translates to "you're an idiot but I'm too much of a lady/gentleman to say that out loud."

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

I think my preferred regional response would be "u wot m8?"

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

Scissoring Triforce!

__ex_keine_kamishirasawa_keine_and_kamishirasawa_keine_touhou_drawn_by_rebecca_keinelove__dac6b62f1c1ee61618ab14504ccd5a1b
joined May 30, 2018

there is no possible way that the friends have not figured out that chidori and nanoha are super gay for each other. and one day i hope there's a full chapter on abe-chin and yoshida, they look so cute!

8tc1g5p728ou6b8fr5uq-yx0aodkzwwclm-riyo2awm
joined Sep 11, 2015

Ty for reading to the end

Is it ending nooooo

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Is it ending nooooo

No, this is just the end of Volume 2. Volume 3 comes out next week, and the author is still releasing weekly chapters online.

Tsuki-chan Uploader
Unknown
Chads no Teikoku
joined Dec 18, 2013

poly alert

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

The distance from "These three are best friends" to "These three are lovers" is about.... four, five chapters?

last edited at Nov 7, 2018 3:06PM

Girls%20last%20tour%20ost%20art
joined Dec 4, 2017

in reference to hand holding: "isn't that kinda plain" O.o glasses is a freak XD

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

One of my favorite chapters :’))

I think the scans are about halfway caught up now. Drama incoming though.

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Drama incoming though.

To my mind, drama doesn't really start until chapter 41, when the name of the series finally starts to make some kind of sense.... Up till then it's lots of Hana and no Arashi (except in flashbacks).

last edited at Nov 7, 2018 3:45PM

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

One of my favorite chapters :’))

I think the scans are about halfway caught up now. Drama incoming though.

LALALALALA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

This series is always so great, hope it gets an anime.
And I thought maybe there would be actual Yuri between the other three friends in that volume extra. I'm kinda disappointed tbh. lol

Drama incoming though.

Why though?

last edited at Nov 7, 2018 4:07PM

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

This series is always so great, hope it gets an anime.
And I thought maybe there would be actual Yuri between the other three friends in that volume extra. I'm kinda disappointed tbh. lol

I doubt the others will be lesbians too. This just doesn't seem to be of the "everyone is gay" variety of high school yuri—it's not like A Kiss and a White Lily, since boys seem to exist in this universe and these three have each brought up how much they'd like to find a boyfriend.

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

When are they gonna kiiiiiiiiiiiiss?????????

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

Drama incoming though.

To my mind, drama doesn't really start until chapter 41, when the name of the series finally starts to make some kind of sense.... Up till then it's lots of Hana and no Arashi (except in flashbacks).

Oh no, I wasn't trying to say that the storm was brewing in the next few chapters, haha. I was referring to the more recent chapters. I haven't read the latest one (the read-in-advance one), but the title is so ominous :'))

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Oh no, I wasn't trying to say that the storm was brewing in the next few chapters, haha. I was referring to the more recent chapters. I haven't read the latest one (the read-in-advance one), but the title is so ominous :'))

Oh yeah.... That title hints at scary things to come. Oh well, we'll find out tomorrow when the chapter's out for free.

Etult87ueaawqbz_%20(2)
joined Oct 15, 2016

Goddammit. The one time they were getting touchy with each other, the friends are there to yuriblock us.

Oh yeah.... That title hints at scary things to come. Oh well, we'll find out tomorrow when the chapter's out for free.

Where are you guys reading the raws?

schuyguy Uploader
Yuri Project
joined Jul 14, 2016

Where are you guys reading the raws?

https://www.sunday-webry.com/series/1105

Make an account and play the slot game once a day to get coins, or you can spend money to get special coins. You can use the coins to buy manga chapters temporarily. The first week a chapter is available you can only read it for cash coins, the second week it's free for anyone, and after that you can use the free coins.

Also, volume 3 goes on sale next week, which I think will have chapters 25-36, a pretty good deal for just 650 yen. But with the way Sunday Webry is set up, you can read all the chapters for free if you're patient.

last edited at Nov 7, 2018 7:39PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo-min
joined Sep 28, 2011

Just when you think it can't get any cuter, it does. Like constantly

To reply you must either login or sign up.