Forum › Bloom Into You discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I've been positively surprised so far. It's not overdone or cheesified. The one thing I don't like is cheap-looking 3D texture backgrounds.

Sayaka came across as angrier than I expected.

Oddly enough, for me that scene was one where not being given Sayaka’s obviously miffed thoughts made her come off as somewhat more angry than she did in the manga. (I think that seeing her fully turn her head away rather than the half-turn in the picture also contributed to that impression).

That is, my sense from the manga was that in that scene she was less upset about someone else being asked to be campaign manager than she was about Touko showing an unexpected side of herself that Sayaka (who prides herself on being the sole Touko expert in the universe) had never seen before.

Again, that kind of thing is to be expected—I can hardly imagine that we will be getting nearly as much development of Sayaka as a character in the anime as we do in the manga, so the scenes that we do get with the minor characters need to be punched up to establish who they are and what they’re about. Low-key Sayaka is likely to be especially sharpened in the adaptation.

Tumblr_oacx7rl55f1tltatqo1_500
joined May 19, 2016

Well to be frank, I think Yuu is the only one lacking (not for her seiyuu's lack of talent of course) as she just sounds too soft and meek. A deeper voice really would have helped there. But that is not really a fair assessment.

Hey, I just want to point out my agreement with this point (not that i dont agree with your other point ofc).
I also feel sometimes Yuu's voice is a little bit too chirpy. she's more of a calm and collected kind of character, sometimes even seemed a little bit distant, like a lot of characters point out. In the anime there are moments where her voice is a little bit too high, it kinda bothers me

But if I have to pick, I think the seiyuu nailed Yuu's voice on the first part of the 2nd episode, where she complains about being selected as the campaign representative to Koyomi and Akari. And just like you said, in that part, the seiyuu actually sounds deeper. And also the 'unfair' moment. I hope we see a lot of this Yuu moment in the future

But again maybe it's because our perception as a reader influence our cognition of the anime. Regardless, i really enjoy the anime, it's one of a few adaptation that i love bcs it's faithful to the manga

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

BugDevil, we seem to talk past each other too much.

When I say, “I don’t think it’s either good or bad, but inherently anime needs to be more economical in storytelling than comics do,” you reply, “I didn’t think you’d be that nitpicky.” I’m not talking about being “displeased”—I’m talking about how two different mediums work.

Same with the text thing—you say comics-specific manipulation of text can be “dismissed.” Absolutely—by people who value what animation does as opposed to what comics do. There’s no refuting that, just as there’s no ultimate proof that one is better than the other.

When I say “I’d never try to argue anyone out of their preferences,” you say that I’m ignoring your points. I’m not ignoring them, I’m granting them as your preferences.

So maybe we better steer clear of any places where we don’t completely agree, because I don’t think either of us are trying to be disagreeable but my posts seem to exasperate you when I’m trying my hardest not to.

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Episode 2 was… better? Not that episode 1 was bad or anything, but I feel this one did a better job at capturing the general mood and the characters' feelings. The music was somewhat less invasive, and there were some great directorial ideas.

For example, that scene where Sayaka and Yuu are talking, but the center of the frame is on Touko in the background, between the two. There also are some neat uses of focus-shifting (of whatever you call it) between background and foreground, something I often see in cinema but not so much in anime…

And of course, the train scene. Time suspends, but not with flashy colors and blooming effects or stuff like that; instead we have cold colors with a lot of white. Which reflects Yuu's perception of the kiss perfectly. It doesn't move her, literally.

Also a funny detail that was added − when Koyomi says "She's really taken a liking to you, huh?" and Yuu responds "I wonder why"… the scene stops there in the manga, but in the anime Akari and Koyomi answer "No idea", which cracked me up. X)

So pretty happy with this episode. Still some details here and there that I find a bit off (notably the opening, which gives a strange amount of focus to Akari and Koyomi and feels a bit too… sugary), but if they keep this up I might enjoy this adaptation more than I expected. They're doing well with what seems to be a limited budget.

last edited at Oct 13, 2018 5:33PM

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

Can I say something potentially controversial (as if I ever care lol)?
I don't think Bloom Into You works as an anime, it's just slow and inherently introspective which is totally fine in a manga format but not great in anime format. Unlike Citrus, for example, which in my opinion worked much better as an anime, with all the details given to ambient and so on, plus the awesome soundtrack (and without the torture of waiting long between cliffhangers).

4bbe1078a9d82bf519de9e5fc56dee60
joined Feb 18, 2018

OK I just realized why the first 2 eps of this anime are so off-putting to me: why in the world there are "flowers & sparkles" everywhere (including the opening and ending) when the story actually has a pretty serious mood? lol

last edited at Oct 13, 2018 8:39PM

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

I really liked episode 2. I agree there are minor quirks here and there, but overall it's done really well, in my opinion. I like the slow pacing, I like the colours, I like the music. And I think it's only gonna get better with each episode. Almost everything works the way I imagined it, except probably the voice acting - the acting itself is not bad, but the voice timbres don't match my own expectations, especially for Touko and Sayaka. Ok, Touko was actually better this episode or I got used to her voice. But Sayaka sounds plain wrong. She doesn't sound mature enough, too naive, which doesn't seem to work well with her character.
Anyway, I think anime and manga really work well together to express the characters better. It's really so cool to see everything animated so well. I wish I could watch the anime before reading the manga and then compare the experiences.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

The faces are fine.

For you they’re fine. For me, they’re odd. Did you see that close up on Yuu’s face in episode 2? I know it was meant to be serious, but her ridiculous face cracked me up

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I don't think Bloom Into You works as an anime, it's just slow and inherently introspective which is totally fine in a manga format but not great in anime format. Unlike Citrus, for example, which in my opinion worked much better as an anime, with all the details given to ambient and so on, plus the awesome soundtrack (and without the torture of waiting long between cliffhangers).

This is my opinion as well. It pretty much sums up the core of the problem.

Also, faces and voices.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

In my opinion, as long as the exact same basic requirements are fulfilled (same story, same artstyle, same pacing), the anime will (almost) always be better by default, due to the advantages of the medium.

There's no way an artistic medium is inherently superior or "better by default" than another artistic medium. That's crazy talk. You simply can't compare two completely different forms of art.

Claiming that anime is always superior to manga is the same as claiming that comics are always superior to traditional literature because novels and poetry don't have pretty illustrations to complement the textual flow.

joined Mar 15, 2015

So far, I have a fairly positive opinion of the anime. The performances seem fairly good so far, and while the color palette has taken a little while to get used to, I don't have too many complaints about the animation. It's quite unfortunate that it isn't available on Crunchyroll, though.

I think we discussed this before, but I'm also concerned about the fact that this anime is only 13 episodes long, which doesn't seem to be nearly enough to adapt even the 35 chapters thus far without rushing through things or abruptly concluding the series.

9b1d0703-1cf0-4df6-bc19-0b2abfd56881
joined Nov 23, 2015

The opening animation of the anime is very beautiful , quite different from alot of generic openings these days and has quite a bit of symbolism in it. I'm actually surprised how well the opening song went along with it. When I first heard the song in episode 1 I thought it was pretty generic but now I've adapted to it and the more I listen to it, the more I'm addicted to it.

That being said, there is a thought that this kinda of moody coloring of the opening animation, if a dark song went with it, it could easily turn into a horror/murder anime opening.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 2:06AM

9b1d0703-1cf0-4df6-bc19-0b2abfd56881
joined Nov 23, 2015

I liked the first episode, although I am not too happy with the voice actor choices, especially for Touko. But other than that a very well done animation. Ok, maybe the eyes could be a tad bit livelier in some scenes, but I'm really nitpicking here.

If they keep the pacing and don't make any cuts, we'll end up about 2/3 of the story, right before the stage performance. This doesn't make a lot of sense, so I think they will increase the pacing a bit after another 1 or 2 eps, and will likely introduce some cuts.

If they cut on side characters, including Sayaka rivalry (to the extent that the story still works), we might see the happy ending in episode 13. Otherwise they might stop right after the play. Not sure what I'd prefer personally, but probably the former. Unless Nakatani-sensei has enough content for the 2nd cour which doesn't seem to be the case right now, at least to me. So yeah I'd prefer a simultaneous ending in manga and the anime for Christmas.

But let's see, the show has a very good series composer, so I trust he will make the best choice for the viewers given the limitations.

Overall, it left a very warm feeling in my heart and I want to rewatch the episode again and again.

What about the anime ending after the play but real conclusion once the manga ends in OVA format? The likelihood?

joined Jun 12, 2015

Anime looks really good. Second episode was even better than the first.

joined Mar 25, 2013

So anyone care to illuminate the flower meanings in the opening?

Untitled-1
joined Jun 19, 2013

So anyone care to illuminate the flower meanings in the opening?

https://mellyisbored.wordpress.com/2018/10/15/yagate-kimi-ni-naru-picking-apart-the-opening/
Doesn't contain all of it, and some of it isn't 100% sure. In order to avoid spoiling anime-only people, it just leaves the basic raw info so both manga-readers and anime-only watchers (with the assumption that they watched up to at least episode 2) can make their own inferences.

last edited at Oct 15, 2018 5:51PM

Img_0053
joined Sep 19, 2017

Well to be frank, I think Yuu is the only one lacking (not for her seiyuu's lack of talent of course) as she just sounds too soft and meek. A deeper voice really would have helped there. But that is not really a fair assessment. The voices we used in our heads are probably completely different from each other as well.

I do agree with this. The first time I heared Yuu in episode 1, I felt that there was something off. But I ignore it, since it’s just episode 1. But when episode 2 entered, I’m sure now that Yuu’s voice is so soft. Even the scene when she said “unfair” it was something lacking, when the character supposed to felt so betrayed. When I’m reading the manga, in my head, Yuu’s voice is something rusty, strong, tsundere effect but a little softness. I don’t know, maybe I’m just believing that the perfect voice for her is in the PV before. There are times that I thought, Koyomi’s voice (her other friend) is the fitted voice for her or maybe it’s just me.

But all in all, I like the anime so far. Of course, the manga still superior but the anime looks like that, is because it’s trying to be loyal and adapt everything from the manga cautiously. They are trying to maintain the originality and the feelings within the manga. And I think, trying to be loyal with the manga is difficult adaptation, what more if the manga is very respectable with prominent characters and being real like Yagate Kimi ni Naru?

last edited at Oct 16, 2018 10:48AM

Capture%20sakukallen
joined Apr 17, 2015

Episode 3… they're really getting the hang of this. It helps that Best Big Sis Rei is in it. :þ Sayaka still looks and sounds a bit off though. Maybe that brief slowmo when Touko leans on Yuu's shoulder was a bit overdone, but it's a nitpick.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

There is not much I can say about episode 3 aside from how impressed I am. I think it was beautiful and they gave Touko showing her weakness for the first time just the right amount of weight.
Rei's voice is noice.

In my opinion, as long as the exact same basic requirements are fulfilled (same story, same artstyle, same pacing), the anime will (almost) always be better by default, due to the advantages of the medium.

There's no way an artistic medium is inherently superior or "better by default" than another artistic medium. That's crazy talk. You simply can't compare two completely different forms of art.

Claiming that anime is always superior to manga is the same as claiming that comics are always superior to traditional literature because novels and poetry don't have pretty illustrations to complement the textual flow.

Well now, that's not quite nice of you, to completely ignore my factors for that claim. Or the almost I added in there.

The comparison you made is incredibly lacking, because unlike a book(imaginative medium) and a comic(visual medium), which are completely different beasts, a manga and an anime are both visual mediums with the same artistic basics. With very rare exceptions (of manga that completely rely on the medium to, for example, tell a joke through panels) if you took a scene 1 to 1 and did both with the highest possible quality, the animated version is just superior. There is no way around it, music, voice acting and motion just compel it to be so.
The downside to this is that anime has WAY more pitfalls. If the voice acting sucks, it becomes inferior. If the music is horrififc, then that's another big minus. If the animation is choppy or badly directed, hoo boy, that will be hard to justify.
Of course manga are not beyond the composition weakness either and anime often improves a mediocre artstyle or badly composed flow.

Well to be frank, I think Yuu is the only one lacking (not for her seiyuu's lack of talent of course) as she just sounds too soft and meek. A deeper voice really would have helped there. But that is not really a fair assessment. The voices we used in our heads are probably completely different from each other as well.

I do agree with this. The first time I heared Yuu in episode 1, I felt that there was something off. But I ignore it, since it’s just episode 1. But when episode 2 entered, I’m sure now that Yuu’s voice is so soft. Even the scene when she said “unfair” it was something lacking, when the character supposed to felt so betrayed. When I’m reading the manga, in my head, Yuu’s voice is something rusty, strong, tsundere effect but a little softness. I don’t know, maybe I’m just believing that the perfect voice for her is in the PV before. There are times that I thought, Koyomi’s voice (her other friend) is the fitted voice for her or maybe it’s just me.

Koyomi's voice actress fits Koyomi best imo. She is a different type of deadpan than Yuu.
Now to be fair, I feel that in Episode 3, despite her unfitting voice, the seiyuu really made up a lot of ground with her inflections and intonation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Given the “same artistic basics” principle, I look forward to the discussions of how:

• Movies are inherently superior to stage theatre
  • Live action movies are inherently superior to animation
  • Photography is inherently superior to figurative drawing
  • Oil painting is inherently superior to watercolors
  • Sculpture is inherently superior to painting
  • Opera is inherently superior to concert singing
S-l225
joined Jun 28, 2016

Just finished watching episode 3 and it reminded me of Yuu's line at the end "At that time, I still hadn't realised that I would have to give up something in order to do that."
Did we every work out what she had to give up yet?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just finished watching episode 3 and it reminded me of Yuu's line at the end "At that time, I still hadn't realised that I would have to give up something in order to do that."
Did we every work out what she had to give up yet?

I believe the consensus was, “In order to stay by her side, I would have to give up [falling in love with her/being honest about my feelings for her.]”

I was kinda hoping at the time that it would be “my virginity,” but as of yet, no such luck.

Utena%20rose%20white%20200x200
joined Mar 28, 2014

I was quite hyped for episode 3 because of Rei-chan, and the big sis totally delivered! She's so awesome!! Just like the entire episode. I'm getting used to Touko's voice acting. My only concern left is Sayaka's voice. Other than that the adaptation is perfect, And I absolutely love it.

What about the anime ending after the play but real conclusion once the manga ends in OVA format? The likelihood?

That would be really nice. If the OVA is about 1h, it might be able to cover the full volume. So let's hope. Watching the first episodes at the current pacing is actually very enjoyable for me, so 13eps + 1h OVA would be awesome.

I don't think Bloom Into You works as an anime

For you. For me it works fantastically well. It really is a matter of taste and personal preference.

Koko
joined Oct 2, 2018

I'm still really bothered by the TL mistakes in episode three. I mean, none of them are really episode-changing mistakes, but the overall enjoyment is definitely hurt by them.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

Given the “same artistic basics” principle, I look forward to the discussions of how:

• Movies are inherently superior to stage theatre
  • Live action movies are inherently superior to animation
  • Photography is inherently superior to figurative drawing
  • Oil painting is inherently superior to watercolors
  • Sculpture is inherently superior to painting
  • Opera is inherently superior to concert singing

Theatre relies on different artistic foundations than film, nice try though.

Live action can't be as expressive as animation, so the reverse is true.

Photography can only represent the real world (unless filters or post-production are involved), so they are ostensibly more limited than drawings.

From an artist's perspective I'm sure that one of them is certainly more annoying. But they are part of the same medium, so pointless comparison.

Sculptures are limited. Yadda yadda, this is getting repetitive.

Opera is superior to concert singing, because it actually tells a story and is rehearsed to death until it works brilliantly every time, unlike most singers at concerts who often aren't even good live, because they only work well in studios. Whether the music is actually good is subjective of course.

I hope that nipped any discussion in the bud, buddy~

last edited at Oct 20, 2018 4:44AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.